不拿起电♥话♥ 给警♥察♥打电♥话♥?
call the police before you went to the bar?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我可能有点晕了
I was in sort of a daze.
看到那么可怕的事情发生在我妻子身上
It was a horrible thing to see what had been done to my wife.
你说可能有点晕了
Now, you say you were in sort of a daze.
那么当你到达酒吧时
When you got to the bar,
你看到酒吧里有好多人吗?
did you see that the bar was crowded?
我没注意到酒吧里的任何人
I didn’t see anyone at the bar…
除了巴尼·奎尔
except Barney Quill.
他是我看见的唯一一个人
He was the only person I saw.
他在干什么?
What was he doing?
我想他就站在那儿 在吧台后面
I think he was just standing there behind the bar.
那么他有没有想要取枪威胁你呢?
Now, did he make a threatening move to get a gun?
我不知道 可能吧 我不知道
I don’t know. May have. I don’t know.
好吧 你说你去那里找他
All right. Now, you say you went there to find him…
想抓住他交给警♥察♥
to hold him for the police.
那又为什么向他开枪?
Why did you shoot him?
我不记得向他开枪了
I don’t remember shooting him.
在你离开酒吧时
Now, when you left the bar,
你记不记得阿尔方斯·帕盖特…
do you remember Alphonse Paquette…
走向你 想阻止你说:
coming up to you and stopping you and saying…
“出了这样的事 你最好还是别跑”
“You’d better not run away from this,”
你回答他.
and you replied…
“你也想吃几颗吗 小子? ”
“You want some too, buster?”
还记得吗?
Remember that?
我只有些模糊的印象
I seem to have a vague recollection of
好像是有人跟我说过话
somebody speaking to me…
但是我不记得他对我说了什么
but I don’t remember what I said or
或我对他说了什么
what was said to me.
你什么时候意识到你开枪打了奎尔?
When did you realize that you’d shot Quill?
我去厨房♥取水喝
I was getting a drink of water.
因为我记得我的嗓子干得生疼
I remember my throat was so dry it hurt.
当我放下玻璃杯
And when I put the glass down,
看见那把抢 放在厨房♥的水槽上
I saw the gun on the kitchen sink…
在水龙头旁边
beside the tap.
我发现枪是空的
I noticed the gun was empty.
我想让你给法庭和陪审团演示一下
Now, I’d like you to show the court and jury…
你怎么知道这把枪是空的
just how you knew this gun was empty.
嗯 要是这个小部件…
Well, this gadget here…
处于这个位置 那么你就知道
when it sticks up,
你打完了最后一发子弹
you know the last round’s been fired.
曼尼昂中尉 在你开枪的那个晚上
On the night of the shooting,
你爱你妻子吗?
did you love your wife?
当然 先生
Yes, sir.
你现在仍然爱她吗?
Do you still love her?
非常爱
Very much.
证人是你的了 丹色先生
The witness is yours, Mr. Dancer.
曼尼昂中尉 你杀过多少人?
How many men have you killed?
喂 拜托了!
Now, wait a minute!
法官大人 一个人的战争记录…
Your Honor, a man’s war record…
就曼尼昂中尉的情况而言是一份出色的记录
in Lt. Manion’s case, a great record…
显然不应该用来反对他
certainly shouldn’t be used against him.
法官大人 我和诸位一样
I’m as patriotic as
也非常爱国
the next man…
但是简单的事实是
but the simple truth is,
战争会改变一个人
war can condition a man…
让他变得嗜杀
to killing other men.
我只是想判断一下
I simply want to determine
中尉因战争而改变的程度
how conditioned the lieutenant may be…
是否轻易就用武器对付其他人
to the use of firearms on other human beings.
我也不喜欢这个问题 比格勒先生
I don’t like the question, Mr. Biegler,
但是我也看不出有什么理由不让他问
but I don’t see how I can exclude it.
让他回答吧
Let him answer.
我知道在朝鲜时
I know I killed at least
我至少杀过四个人…
four men in Korea…
三个是用手雷
three with a hand grenade…
一个是用我的自动武器
and one with my service automatic.
也许我还杀过其他人
I may have killed others.
一个战士并不总能知道
A soldier doesn’t always know.
那么中尉 在这些杀人行动中
Now, Lieutenant, in these acts of killing…
你有没有发生过遗忘的现象呢
did you ever have a lapse of memory such as you had
就像你在杀死巴尼·奎尔时那样?
when you killed Barney Quill?
没有 先生
No, sir.
那么在战场上 你有没有发生过遗忘现象?
Did you ever have one during battle?
没有 先生
No, sir.
你有没有经常处于…
Were you ever submitted…
枪林弹雨之下
to a constant barrage,
经常连续几个小时大汗淋漓
constantly in a sweat for many hours…
经常不停地进攻和防守?
constantly under attack or attacking?
无数次
Many times.
你是否曾因震弹症 战斗疲劳症
Were you ever treated for shell shock, battle fatigue,
神经官能症 或精神病接受过治疗?
neuroses or psychoses?
没有 先生
No, sir.
在战争期间 你有没有经历过…
Did you ever experience…
任何异常的精神状态?
any unusual mental state during the war?
唔 我的确记得有一种非常强烈的冲动
Well, I do remember having one great urge.
那是什么?
What was that?
离开这鬼地方回家
To get the hell out and go home.
你最好还是别忘了你现在…
You would do well to consider the seriousness…
所处境遇的严重性
of the situation you’re in.
对不起 法官大人
I’m sorry, Your Honor.
我倒是和中尉有同感
I sympathize with the lieutenant.
我估计他现在对于离开监狱
I expect he has the same feeling
大概也有类似的冲动
about getting out of jail.
我的要点是
But the main point here is
中尉 在你参与战争的整个期间
that at no time…
没有任何一刻记录过你有精神方面的异常
during your war service did you have a record of mental disturbance.
你总是处于完全清醒的状态
You were always in complete possession of your faculties.
是的 先生 你说得对
Yes, sir. That’s right.
没有问题了
No more questions.
我也不用再质询了 法官大人
No redirect, Your Honor.
请退席 传你的下一位证人
Step down, please. Call your next witness.
我们传劳拉·曼尼昂上证人席
We call Laura Manion to the stand.
-上楼梯后朝右拐 -谢谢
-Up these stairs and to the right. -Thanks.
当你告诉你丈夫所发生的事之后
How long after you told your husband
隔了多久他…
what had happened…
离开的车房♥?
did he leave the trailer?
我不知道确切有多久
I don’t know exactly.
一切都模模糊糊的
Everything was kind of fuzzy.
我头很晕 我躺到了床上
I was faint, and I laid down on the bed.
他坐在我旁边
He sat beside me.
我隐约记得他起身离开
I vaguely remember his getting up and going out.
我也记得我当时想
I remember wondering
他是不是叫医生去了
if he was going for a doctor…
后来他就回来了
and then he came back in.
感觉就像是只有几秒钟 但是肯定不止
It seemed like just a few seconds, but it must have been longer.
我可能睡过去了
I must’ve gone to sleep.
当他回来后 他坐在我床边
When he came back in, he sat on the bed…
手里拿着把枪
and he had a gun in his hand.
我说: “你要干什么? ”
And I said, “What are you going to do?”
他说: “我想我已经干了
And he said, “I think I’ve already done it.
我想我杀了巴尼·奎尔 ”
I think I’ve killed Barney Quill.”
你能肯定他说的
Are you sure he didn’t say,
不是”我杀了巴尼·奎尔”?
“I’ve killed Barney Quill”?
肯定 我记得很清楚
No, I remember distinctly.
“我想我杀了巴尼·奎尔 ”
“I think I’ve killed Barney Quill.”
然后你干什么了?
Then what did you do?
我用双手抱着他 开始哭了起来
I put my arms around him and began to cry…
我说: “你最好去找莱蒙先生 ”
and I said, “You’d better go to Mr. Lemon.”
我丈夫说: “我忘了这个 ”
And my husband said, “I forgot about that.”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!