他什么意思? 他忘了什么?
What did he mean? Forgot about what?
他的意思是他忘了
He meant he’d forgotten
莱蒙先生也是一名治安官
Mr. Lemon was a deputy sheriff.
他说: “好的 我去向莱蒙先生自首”
And he said, “Yes, I’ll go turn myself in to Mr. Lemon.”
好的 知道了
Yes, I see.
法官大人
Your Honor,
就此证人 目前我没有进一步的问题了
I have no other direct questions at this time.
但是因为我敢肯定
But since I’m sure
各位很难想象到一条小狗…
it’s difficult to visualize the part…
在那晚所起的作用
a little dog played on this night…
所以我希望给我几分钟
I should like a few minutes to show
向法庭展示这只出色的小动物
the court this remarkable little animal.
公诉方反对吗?
Do the people object?
我可以肯定 要是我们反对的话
I’m sure that if we raise an objection,
法官大人
Your Honor…
比格勒先生又会宣称
Mr. Biegler will declare
我们敌视所有幼小的 毛茸茸的动物
that we are haters of all small, furry animals.
幸亏那个造物不会开口说话
A creature that cannot talk will be a welcome relief.
把狗带进来
Bring in the dog.
谢谢 大人 请庭警带狗进来好吗?
Thank you, sir. Will the deputy bring in the dog, please?
把他放在那儿吧
You can put him right there.
嗨 毛毛! 过来! 过来!
Hey, Muff!. Come on!
真乖!
That’s a boy.
现在我问曼尼昂夫人要个便携灯给小狗
And now I’ll ask Mrs. Manion to bring a flashlight for the dog.
我要法庭注意 小狗把灯打开了
I’ll ask the court to notice that the dog turned on the light.
很容易看出来
It’s easy to see
毛毛不知道谁是他的敌人
that Muff doesn’t know who his enemies are.
把狗带出去吧
Remove the dog, please.
好的 大人
Yes, sir.
证人回到证人席
The witness will resume the stand.
走吧 毛毛
There we go, Muff.
曼尼昂夫人
May I congratulate you
我要祝贺你有 这样一只训练有素的宠物
on your well trained pet.
我也想说
May I also say
我很高兴看到你今天不再…
I’m pleased to see you’re not today…
将你可爱的头发藏在帽子下面了
hiding your lovely hair under a hat.
法官大人
Your Honor,
从兰辛来的检查总长助理 算是在大献殷勤呢
is the assistant attorney general from Lansing pitching woo…
还算是在交叉质询证人?
or is he going to cross-examine?
让我们切入正题吧
Let’s get on with it.
曼尼昂夫人 结婚之前你的职业是什么?
Mrs. Manion, what was your occupation before you were married?
家庭主妇
Housewife.
那么之前你结过婚?
Then you’ve been married before?
是的 一次
Yes, once.
我猜你第一个丈夫去世了?
I suppose your first husband died?
没有
No.
你是和你第一个丈夫离婚后
Did you divorce
才和曼尼昂中尉结婚的吗?
your first husband to marry Lt. Manion?
法官大人
Your Honor,
如果对方律师想知道曼尼昂夫人的…
if counsel wants to know the grounds…
离婚理由的话 就让他直截了当问好了
for Mrs. Manion’s divorce, let him ask that question.
你离婚的理由是什么?
What were the grounds for divorce?
精神折磨
Mental cruelty.
自然 那么你离婚后多久…
Naturally. And how long after…
和曼尼昂中尉结的婚?
your divorce was it that you married Lt. Manion?
呃… 我不太确定
I’m not sure.
我可以为丹瑟先生替证人回忆一下吗?
May I refresh the witness’ memory for Mr. Dancer?
愿意洗耳恭听
By all means.
我相信她告诉过我
I believe she told me…
他们在离婚三天之后结的婚
that they were married three days after the divorce.
谢谢 比格勒先生 是这样的吗
Thank you, Mr. Biegler. Is that correct,
曼尼昂夫人?
Mrs. Manion?
是的
Yes.
那么除非你闪电般地就完成了恋爱结婚
Then unless yours was a whirlwind courtship…
你在离婚之前 就一定已经认识了
you must have known Lt. Manion before your divorce,
曼尼昂中尉 是吗?
did you?
是的
Yes.
曼尼昂夫人 你的宗教信仰是什么?
Mrs. Manion, what is your religious affiliation?
我是天主教♥徒♥
I’m a Catholic.
规规矩矩的天主教♥徒♥?
Catholic in good standing?
噢 不 因为离婚 你知道
Well, no. The divorce, you know.
你是说因为离婚和再婚
You mean you were excommunicated
你被逐出了教会?
because of the divorce and remarriage.
是的
Yes.
曼尼昂夫人 在你看来一个天主教♥徒♥
Mrs. Manion, wouldn’t you say that a Catholic…
如果她可以轻快地无视她的教会的
who can blithely ignore one of the cardinal rules
最主要的规定之一
of her church…
那么她是否也很容易
could also easily ignore an oath taken on
无视在一件教会的人造物品…
one of its artifacts…
比如说”玫瑰经”… 上起的誓呢?
say, an oath taken on a rosary?
我不认为那是事实
I don’t think that’s true.
那么你不认为这样一个人的
Wouldn’t you think there’d be some doubt
诚实性很不可靠吗?
about the integrity of such a person?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我所知道的是”玫瑰经”
All I know is the rosary
的确对我意味着什么
means something to me.
知道了 那么我问一点其它的事情
I see. Well, I’ll pass on to something else.
曼尼昂夫人 你作证说你丈夫…
Mrs. Manion, you testified that your husband…
在发生枪击的那个晚上
came home late from his work
工作到很晚才回家
on the night of the shooting.
对他回来晚了 你是不是有点生气?
Were you a little angry about his being late?
我想我是有点不愉快
I guess I was a little put out.
你们吵架了吗?
Did you have an argument?
没有大吵 只有一点
Not much. A little.
当你离开车房♥去旅店
When you left the trailer to go to the inn…
你丈夫知道你走了吗?
did your husband know you were going?
他睡着了
He was asleep.
你没让他知道就走了 部分原因…
Was part of your reason for going without his knowledge…
是不是因为你很恼火?
because you were vexed?
唔 我熨了一整天衣服 我…
Well, I’d been ironing all day, and I…
是的 我想是这样
Yes, I guess that’s true.
法官大人 对方律师…
Your Honor, the counsel…
故意挡住我的视线 不让我看到证人
has deliberately cut off my view of the witness.
对不起 比格勒先生
I’m sorry, Mr. Biegler.
我没想着要干预你向她发暗号♥
I wouldn’t want to interfere with your signals to her.
我反对这一结论 说我向证人发暗号♥
I object to the implication I was signaling the witness.
这是我见过的最卑鄙的法庭上的伎俩
This is the shabbiest courtroom trick I’ve ever seen.
你还太嫩 比格勒先生
You haven’t lived, Mr. Biegler.
法官大人 我请求法庭就我的反对做出裁决
I ask for a rule on my objection.
丹瑟先生 你能否注意一下
Mr. Dancer, will you be careful
别挡在…
not to place yourself…
比格勒先生和他的证人之间?
between Mr. Biegler and his witness?
当然 法官大人
Of course, Your Honor.
还有别的吗 比格勒先生?
Anything else, Mr. Biegler?
你再做一次
You do it once more…
我会把你一拳揍出去
I’ll punch you all the way out into the middle of
直到你落入苏必利尔湖中心
Lake Superior.
先生们 先生们
Gentlemen. Gentlemen.
这种吵闹必须终止
This rowing has got to stop.
你们任何一位下次再有这样
The next one of you that speaks out
不合时宜的发言 那我就不客气了
of turn will have me to deal with.
现在继续你的交叉质询
Get on with your cross-examination.
如果你丈夫是醒着的话
Would you have gone to the inn
你还会去旅店吗?
if your husband had been awake?
他可能会和我一起去
He probably would have gone with me.
但是你还会一个人去吗?
But would you have gone alone?
不会 要是他不让我去的话
Not if he didn’t want me to.
那他会不会不让你去呢?
Would he have not wanted you to?
我不能肯定 我不知道怎样回答
I’m not sure. I don’t know how to answer that.
你曾经在夜里一个人
Had you ever gone

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!