不是 但是道歉是目的之一
No, but the apology was part of it.
开诚布公地说
To tell you the truth,
我是希望 能够和你达成一点谅解
I was hoping it would thaw you out a little bit.
我希望你做的 就是听我说几句话
All I want you to do is listen to me,
就几分钟
just for a few minutes.
我需要一些强有力的证据 用来支持
I need some strong evidence
劳拉·曼尼昂有关强♥奸♥的说法
to back up Laura Manion’s story about the rape.
公诉方会严厉抨击这一说法
The prosecution’s gonna attack that story pretty hard.
如果陪审团认定她在撒谎
And if the jury thinks she’s lying…
那么他们的裁决就会对曼尼昂不利
that could turn the decision
你明白吗?
against Manion.
那么她没有撒谎吗?
Isn’t she lying?
巴尼没有做过她说的事 他不可能做
Barney didn’t do what she said he did. He couldn’t have.
关于你父亲你了解多少?
What did you know about your father?
了解一切
All I needed to know.
他精心照顾我 也精心照顾我妈妈
He took care of me and my mother for
直到她去世
as long as she lived.
当我需要他时 他总是在我身旁
He was always there when I needed him.
这就是我了解的父亲 比格勒先生
That’s what I know about my father, Mr. Biegler.
那会支持劳拉·曼尼昂的说法吗?
Will that back up Laura Manion’s story?
我不是想和你过不去 我也不想伤害你
I don’t want to get at you, hurt you.
我很赞赏你对你父亲的爱
I appreciate your affection for your father.
但是作为一个律师 我见得太多了
But as a lawyer I’ve had to learn
人不可能简单地划分为好人和坏人
that people aren’t just good or bad…
人是多方面的
but people are many things.
我有种感觉 巴尼·奎尔就是多方面的
And I kind of have a feeling Barney Quill was many things.
我不想再听下去了
I don’t want to hear any more.
请别走 请听我说完好吗?
No, please. Hear me out.
我相信巴尼跟阿尔·帕盖特
I believe that Barney told Al Paquette
谈过那晚发生的事
what happened that night.
他让他去那扇窗子旁等着曼尼昂
And he told him to go to this window and wait for Manion.
巴尼呆在吧台后面
Barney stayed behind the bar
紧挨着枪架 就那样等着
next to a gun rack, just waiting.
曼尼昂走了进来
Manion came in and fired the minute
刚一迈进那道门就开枪射击
he got inside that door…
第一枪就正好穿过巴尼的心脏
and the first shot went right through Barney’s heart.
下面是我想请你帮我做的
Now here’s what I want you to do.
我想请你试着说服阿尔
I want you to try to persuade Al to come to the court…
作为辩方证人出庭
as a defense witness
让他告诉法庭 那晚巴尼告诉他的事…
and tell the court what Barney told him that night…
也就是他强♥奸♥和殴打曼尼昂夫人的事实
that he raped and assaulted Mrs. Manion.
阿尔不会把那样的事隐瞒起来
Al wouldn’t conceal a thing like that.
要真是那样的话 他为什么不把它说出来?
Why wouldn’t he tell it if it were true?
我不知道 我不知道
I don’t know.
但是我知道这个
But I know this.
每个人都会爱什么事情或者什么人
Everybody loves something or someone.
譬如说我 我爱钓鱼
Me, I love fishing
还有一个叫帕内尔的老家伙
and an old guy by the name of Parnell.
曼尼昂爱他的自♥由♥
Manion loves his freedom.
他希望能获得更多一点的自♥由♥
He’d like to have a little more of it.
巴尼爱你 也许阿尔也爱着你
Barney loved you. Maybe so does Al.
我不会怪他
I wouldn’t blame him.
因为他不想伤害你
But he doesn’t want to hurt you
或是不想让你知道巴尼的真♥相♥…
or for you to know the truth about Barney…
即他可能会变得很危险和残忍♥
that he could be dangerous and brutal.
那么 你能不能就问一下阿尔
Now, if you just ask Al…
直接了当地问他一下
if you just ask him right straight out.
阿尔
Al.
阿尔 比格勒先生知道了巴尼是我父亲
Al, Mr. Biegler knows that Barney was my father.
他认为关于我父亲被杀的那个晚上
He thinks you know something about
你知道一些事…
the night my father was killed…
一些你不愿说出来的事
something you won’t tell.
律师 我告诉过你一次 那么我再告诉你
Lawyer, I told you once and I’ll tell you again
没有问题 没有回答
No questions, no answers.
慢着 阿尔!
Wait.
我父亲强♥奸♥了曼尼昂夫人吗?
Did my father rape Mrs. Manion?
巴尼不会伤害一个女人
Barney wouldn’t hurt a woman.
有没有什么原因
Is there any reason you wouldn’t tell me
使你不愿告诉我事实真♥相♥?
the truth about that?
什么原因?
What reason?
还有别的事吗 比格勒先生?
Anything else?
我给你和阿尔留下最后判决的通行证
I’m going to leave a pass for you and Al at the trial.
或许你们乐意去看看
You might like to watch
曼尼昂中尉被判有罪
Lt. Manion get convicted.
你会四下散布玛丽是巴尼女儿的消息吗?
You going to spread it around about Mary being Barney’s kid?
不 我不会四下散布
No, I’m not going to spread it around,
阿尔 谢谢你的啤酒
Al. Thank you for the beer.
晚安 皮兰特小姐
Good night, Miss Pilant.
好吧
All right.
现在让我们来谈谈”玫瑰经”这事
Let’s get at this rosary thing.
前面的证词说
It’s been testified that
你妻子以”玫瑰经”向你起誓
your wife swore to you on a rosary…
说她遭到巴尼·奎尔强♥奸♥
that she’d been raped by Barney Quill.
是你要求你妻子以”玫瑰经”起誓的吗?
Did you ask your wife to swear on a rosary?
当时我妻子表现得歇斯底里
My wife was hysterical.
说话语无伦次
She wasn’t making much sense.
我想要是我让她以”玫瑰经”的名义起誓
I thought if I asked her to take an oath on a rosary…
或许可以使她平静下来
it might serve to calm her,
使她脑子变得清楚一点
make her think more clearly.
“玫瑰经”有用吗?
Did the rosary help?
她能够开始告诉我
She was able to tell me
所发生事情的详细情况了
in detail what had happened.
好的 接着说
All right. Go on from there.
然后你做了什么 中尉?
What did you do then, Lieutenant?
唔 我…
Well, I…
我让她躺到床上
I had her lie on the bed,
我去找了块冷的布…
and I got some cold cloths…
敷在她头上
for her head.
然后 呃… 噢 对了
And, uh… Oh, yes.
我给了她一杯白兰地
I gave her a drink of brandy.
过了一会儿 她安静了下来
After a while, she became calm,
慢慢地睡着了
seemed to go to sleep.
然后我走到壁橱旁
Then I went to the closet…
取出了我的枪 装上子弹
I got my gun, and I loaded it.
你当时想着要去杀巴尼·奎尔吗?
Was it in your mind to kill Barney Quill?
没有
No.
那么你为什么会走到壁橱旁
Then why did you go to the closet
取出枪并装上子弹呢?
and get your gun and load it?
我知道我得去奎尔的酒吧
I knew I had to go to Quill’s place.
我想我可能会用得着
I thought I might need it.
为什么?
Why?
我知道奎尔先生在吧台后面藏着好多枪
I knew Mr. Quill kept guns behind the bar.
我害怕他会向我开枪
I was afraid he might shoot me.
你做什么会使他向你开枪?
Might shoot you if you did what?
你准备去干什么?
What were you going to do?
我不太肯定
I’m not sure.
我记得当时我想的是…
I remember having some idea…
先找到他
of finding him…
然后抓住他 接着再叫警♥察♥
and holding him while I call the police.
唔 那位先生 那位叫什么来着…
Well, that Mr. Whatshisname…
对了 莱蒙先生
Mr. Lemon at the tourist court there,
他是旅游公园那儿的治安官
he was a deputy sheriff.
你为什么没有叫上他跟你一起去?
Why didn’t you get him to go with you?
也许是因为一直以来
Maybe because he always
他看上去只是…
seemed to be just…
公园的一个老管♥理♥员♥
the old caretaker of the park.
也许是因为我当时除了想
Maybe because I wasn’t thinking about
找到巴尼·奎尔 脑子里…
anything too clearly…
想不太清其它的事情
except finding Barney Quill.
在你去酒吧之前 你为什么
Why didn’t you go to a phone,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!