他一边朝吧台走一边向巴尼开枪
He shot Barney when he came up to the bar…
在巴尼倒下后
and when Barney fell he kept on
他仍然向吧台后面的巴尼不停地射击
shooting at Barney behind the bar.
然后他转过身子 走了出去
Then he turned around and walked out.
在曼尼昂中尉进入酒吧时
When Lt. Manion entered the bar,
他的举止如何?
how did he appear to you?
唔 他走得不急不慢
Well, he walked slow,
好像是早有准备 你可以这么说
kind of deliberate I guess you could say.
他和巴尼·奎尔说话了吗?
Did he speak to Barney Quill?
一个字都没说
Not a word.
就这样走了过去 拔出了枪…
Just walked over and pulled out his gun…
“砰”
and bang.
-然后他就走了出去 -是的
-And then he walked out? -Yes.
他走出去时 看上去怎么样?
When he walked out, how did he appear to you?
他看上去和他进来时一样
He seemed just like he did when he walked in…
好像他是个邮差 来送了一封信
like he was the mailman delivering the mail.
当曼尼昂中尉走出酒吧时 你做了什么?
When Lt. Manion walked out of the bar, what did you do?
唔 一切发生得太快
Well, it happened so fast,
我想我当时懵了
I guess I was stunned.
然后我就跑出去追他
But then I ran out after him.
你在外面看到他了吗?
Did you find him outside?
是的 先生 他正离开
Yes, sir. He was walking away.
你和他说话了吗?
Did you speak to him?
是的 先生 我说
Yes, sir. I said,
“中尉 出了这样的事你最好还是别跑”
“Lieutenant, you’d better not run away from this.”
他回答你了吗?
Did he reply to you?
他说: “你也想吃几颗吗 小子? ”
He said, “Do you want some too, buster?”
他拿枪对着你了吗?
Was he pointing the gun at you?
他拿枪指着我的方向
He was holding the gun in my direction,
但是枪口朝着下面
but the muzzle was low.
当他说
When he said,
“你也想吃几颗吗 小子?” 的时候
“Do you want some too, buster?”…
他的语调是怎样的?
how was that expressed?
他是喊出来的? 歇斯底里的?
Did he shout it? Was it hysterical?
粗着嗓子说的? 声音里有颤抖吗?
Was he hoarse? Did his voice tremble?
没有 先生
No, sir.
他说的时候冷静镇定 并直勾勾地看着我
He just said it cool and hard and looked right at me.
就你所能判断而言 他看起来…
Did he appear to you, as far as you could tell…
是不是完全处于清醒状态?
to be in complete possession of his faculties?
是的 先生 我是这样认为的
Yes, sir, as far as I could tell.
你来质询吧
Your witness.
帕盖特先生 那天晚上你在酒吧见到过
Mr. Paquette, did you see Laura Manion in the bar
曼尼昂夫人 也就是曼尼昂中尉的妻子吗?
that night?
法官大人 他又来了!
There he goes again.
这是非实质的 与本案无关
This is immaterial and irrelevant.
法官大人我不明白为什么控方那么容易激动
I don’t see why the prosecution’s so jumpy.
我还没说什么呢
I haven’t gone any place yet.
我们先看看他想说什么
Let’s see where he’s going
然后再来反对 罗德威克先生
before we start objecting.
你可以继续 比格勒先生
You may proceed.
那天晚上你在酒吧见过曼尼昂夫人吗?
Did you see Mrs. Manion in the bar that night?
她在那儿
She was there.
那天晚上巴尼·奎尔离开过酒吧吗?
Did Barney Quill leave that night?
是的
Yes.
你记不记得他是什么时候回来的?
Do you remember when he returned?
我想他大概半夜的时候回来的
I think he came back around midnight.
那么他是从哪个入口进来的?
Now from which entrance did he come?
他是从大厅的门进来的呢?
Did he come from the lobby entrance…
还是从外面的门进来的?
or come from that outside entrance?
大厅的门进来的
It was from the lobby.
-那时他的举止如何? -你什么意思?
-And how did he appear to you then? -How do you mean?
在控方问你有关
You understood the prosecution well
曼尼昂中尉的举止的问题时
when he asked you that question…
你倒是理解得很透彻
about Lt. Manion’s appearance.
噢 他看上去就像老巴尼
Oh, well, he was just old Barney,
和平常一样
like usual.
你的意思是他还是那个
You mean he was just good old sober,
和蔼朴实的 温和可靠的
reliable, gentle…
高尚中坚的 平易近人的老巴尼
salt-of-the-earth, friend-to-man Barney.
法官大人 法官大人 这算什么问题?
Your Honor, what kind of a question is that?
我收回我的问题好了 法官大人
I withdraw the question, Your Honor.
帕盖特先生 巴尼离开酒吧后
Had Barney changed his clothes
他有没有换过衣服?
since he left the bar?
我不记得了
I don’t remember.
也许他回来时的衣服和离开时的不一样
Might his clothing have been different when he returned…
也就是说 他有没有可能换过衣服?
that is, might he have changed his clothes?
说不好 我没注意
I didn’t notice.
那天晚上巴尼喝酒了吗?
Was Barney drinking that night?
他和客人聊天时总会喝上几口
Well, he always had a few shots while he was talking to the customers.
他很友善
He’s friendly.
噢 当然 可爱的老巴尼
Oh, sure, he was. Good old Barney.
那么你说可爱的老巴尼通常会喝多少酒呢?
Now how many shots would you say good old Barney usually had?
我不知道准确的有多少
I don’t know.
那晚他没有喝过头吗 帕盖特先生?
Wasn’t he in fact pretty loaded that night?
反对 法官大人 即使死者酩酊大醉
Objection. Even if the deceased was dead drunk…
也不能作为被控罪名的辩护理由
it’s no defense to this charge.
反对有效
Sustained.
我建议你停止这方面问题 比格勒先生
I suggest you get off this.
帕盖特先生 你怎么称呼一个
What would you call a man with
对女性有着贪得无厌兴趣的男人?
an insatiable penchant for women?
一个什么?
A what?
兴趣 欲望 喜好 热情
A penchant, a desire, taste, passion.
呃 花♥花♥公♥子♥ 我想是
Well, a ladies man, I guess.
或者叫大白♥痴♥更合适
Or maybe just a damn fool.
你只要回答问题就行了 帕盖特先生
Just answer the questions.
俏皮话留给律师们去说好了
The attorneys will provide the wisecracks.
哈 对那样的男人你还有什么
Well, what else would you
其它的叫法吗 帕盖特先生?
call a man like that?
我们不明白这样问话的目的是什么
We can’t see the drift of this.
我看你明白得很 罗德威克先生
You mean you do see.
你可以回答
You may answer.
你能想起其它的名字吗 帕盖特先生?
Can you think of another name?
浪荡公子
Woman chaser.
-还有呢? -情圣?
-Try again. -Masher?
噢 算了吧 帕盖特先生
Oh, come now.
情圣追逐的是穿着鲸须束胸
Mashers went out with
头戴发网的女人
whalebone corsets and hairnets.
你没听说过”色狼”的说法吗?
Did you ever hear the expression “wolf”?
当然 我听说过
Sure, I heard that.
只是一时没想到而已
It just slipped my mind.
“一时没想到而已”
Well, naturally,
当然你会记不起来了
it would…
有那些老掉牙的”情圣”这样的词
clanking around in there with
在你脑子里哐当乱响
all those rusty old “mashers.”
你认识的人当中有没有
Have you ever known a man
可以被称为色狼的呢 帕盖特先生?
you could call a wolf?
我不确定
I’m not sure.
巴尼·奎尔是色狼吗 帕盖特先生?
Was Barney Quill a wolf?
-我说不好 -还是不愿意说?
-I couldn’t say. -Or wouldn’t?
-反对! -反对有效
-Objection. -Sustained.
他已经回答了你的问题 他说他说不好
The question was answered. He said he couldn’t tell you.
帕盖特先生
Mr. Paquette, when Barney returned from
当巴尼从不知道哪边回来后
wherever he had gone…
他有没有让你离开吧台的工作?
did he relieve you at the bar?
是的
Yes.
他怎么对你说的?
And what did he say then?
他说: “交给我吧 ”
He said, “I’ll take over.”
你从吧台后面出来后 你去哪儿啦?
When you came out from behind the bar, where did you go?
我去了彼德森夫妇坐着的桌子
I went over to the table where the Pedersons were sitting.
你作证说曼尼昂中尉进来时
Now you testified that you were by the door

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!