Daddy?
爸?
Dad.

I’ll get the medicine.
我去拿药
Ellie.
艾丽
I know it’s hard to understand this now…
我知道你现时很难明白…
but we aren’t always meant to know why things happen the way they do.
但我们并不是常知道 为何事情会这样
Sometimes we just have to accept it as God’s will.
有时我们只能接受 这是上帝的意旨
I should have kept some medicine in the downstairs bathroom.
我该把药留在楼下的浴室
Then I could’ve gotten to it sooner.
这样可快一点拿到
CQ…
CQ…
this is W-9 GFO. Do you copy?
这是W-9GFO 听到吗?
Dad, this is Ellie. Come back.
爸 这是艾丽 回答
This is Eleanor Arroway…
我是雅·艾丽…
transmitting on 14.2 megahertz.
以14.2兆赫发送
Dad.

Are you there?
你听到吗?
Come back.
请回答
Dad.

Are you there?
听到吗?
Dad, this is Ellie.
爸 我是艾丽
Ellie.
艾丽
Hi, Kent. What are you doing up so early, huh?
嘿 肯特 你这么早起在干吗?
I was thinking…
我在想…
we’d make a pretty good team.
我们应该组成一个很棒的团队
What?
什么?
We could put together a kick-ass ad-hoc SETI program.
我们可以一起进行 “特别SETI计划”
You know the Very Large Array in New Mexico?
你知道新墨西哥州的 “超大望远镜阵列” 吗?
It would be a dynamite place to do serious SETI…
那会是进行SETI工作的好地方…
What are you talking about, Kent?
你在说什么 肯特?
Drumlin pulled the plug.
杜木林 终止了计划
We’re homeless.
我们无家可归了
Hey, watch it.
当心
Is it true, huh? Did you pull the plug?
是真的吗 你终止了计划?
You can’t see it now, but I’m doing you a favor.
你不明白 我在帮忙你
You are far too promising a scientist to be wasting your gifts on this nonsense.
你是个很有天份的科学家 不该在这种无聊事上白白浪费掉你的天份
Look, I don’t consider what could be…
听着 我不认为…
the most important discovery of the human race nonsense, okay?
人类有史以来最重大的发现是无聊事!
There’s 400 billion stars…
有四十亿颗星…
And two probabilities. One, there is intelligent life…
有两种可能 一 可能会有智慧的生命…
but it’s so far away you’ll never contact it in your lifetime.
但相距太远 你有生之年无法接触
And two! You’re making a decision…
其次… 你得做一个决定…
There’s nothing but noble gases and carbon compounds and you’re wasting your time.
那里什么也没有 只有气体及碳化合物 并且你在浪费你的时间
In the meantime, you won’t be published, won’t be taken seriously.
同时 你的论文不会被出版 别人不会认真对待你
And your career will be over.
你的事业会完蛋
So what? It’s my life.
那又怎样? 这是我的事业!
Hey, Kent. You were right.
肯特 你说的对
Screw Drumlin. We’re gonna raise the money. We’re going to New Mexico.
甩开杜木林 我们自行筹钱 去新西哥州
Chicago has all the stuff, but let me know how it goes.
芝加哥之行一确定 就把进展告诉我
I’ve got some more corporate stops on the East Coast for you.
我在东岸还给你联♥系♥了几个投资者
Hey, Fish, did that investor from Houston ever get back to us?
嘿 费希 休斯顿那个投资者 有回覆我们吗?
I’m gonna hit him up on my way to L.A.
我往洛山玑途中会找他
Try begging for some of that Hollywood money.
应该设法向好莱坞筹钱
Why not? They’ve been making money off of aliens for years, right?
他们多年来靠外星人发了大财 不是吗?
Begging is good for the soul. We’ll see about that.
讫求对灵魂有益 我们走着瞧
Just do me a favor. Yeah.
你帮我一个忙 好啊
Try not to be too confrontational.
试着尽量不要过于…对抗
Huh? Confrontational? Me? What do you mean?
对抗? 我? 什么意思呀?
I’m gonna see if I left anything.
我去看遗漏了什么
This is a unique time in our history, in the history of any civilization.
这是我们历史上独一无二的时刻 对于所有文明的历史亦然
It’s the moment of the acquisition of technology.
这是科技收获的时刻
That’s the moment where contact becomes possible.
这一刻使接触变得是可能的
The Very Large Array in New Mexico is the key to our chances for success.
新墨西哥州的”超大射电望远镜阵列” 是我们成功的关键机会
With its 27 linked radio telescopes…
27个相连接的射电望远镜…
we can search more accurately than at any other conventional facility.
可令我们更能比以往的设备仪器更准确地找寻
Now, we’ve gotten approval to buy the telescope time from the government.
我们获准付钱向政♥府♥租用望远镜机时
Now all we really need is the money.
我们现在真正的需要是钱
A nice presentation, doctor.
不错的介绍 博士
But while our foundation arm has a mandate to support experimental programs…
但我们基金分部要一个授权以支持你的实验计划…
we must confess that your proposal seems less like science…
但我们得承认你的建议不大像是科学…
and more like science fiction.
而更像是科学幻想
Science fiction.
科学幻想
You’re right.
你说的对
It’s crazy.
很疯狂
In fact, it’s even worse than that: Nuts.
事实上 还要更糟糕: 神经病!
You wanna hear something nutty?
你想听真正的疯狂的吗?
A couple guys wanted to build something called an airplane.
有两个人想建叫飞机的东西
You get people to go in it and fly like birds. Ridiculous, right?
人们坐在上面像鸟般飞行 荒谬! 是吧!
Or what about breaking the sound barrier…
快过音速又如何…
or rockets to the moon, or atomic energy or a mission to Mars?
坐火箭上月球 还有原子能 还有火星计划又怎么样?
Science fiction, right?
科学幻想 是吗?
Look.
听着
All I’m asking is for you to just have the tiniest bit of vision.
我只要求你们有丁点儿的远见
You know, to just step back for one minute and look at the big picture.
退一小步 以看到更大的远景
To take a chance on something…
冒险去做一些…
which might end up being the most profoundly impactful moment…
可能对人类或历史 开创性的…
for humanity, for the history of history.
有最深远影响的事情
I’m sorry.
对不起
I just spent the last 13 months…
我花了十三个月…
coming into rooms like this and talking to people like you.
到处去各个办公室跟 你们这样的人谈
The truth is, you’re my last chance, so…
你是我的最后机会…
I’m sorry I wasted your time.
抱歉浪费你的时间
Doctor.
博士
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
You have your money.
你筹到钱了
Thank you.
谢谢你
Oh! Perfect cast. Come on, fishy.
抛的很准 来吧 鱼儿
Frank, look at the size of that son of a bitch!
法兰 看看那混♥蛋♥的体形多大!
Welcome back, Dr. C.
欢迎 克博士
How’d it go?
怎样?
How was the trip? I’ve had better.
旅途愉快吗? 还可以
Drumlin. What is this? This his personal vendetta now?
姓杜的 这算什么? 这是公报私仇吗?
It’s not just Drumlin. There’s been enormous pressure from other scientists as well.
不仅仅是姓杜的 其他科学家亦施巨大压力
It doesn’t matter anyway, Hadders funding us for another two years.
没关系 海登会再资助我们两年
Uh… These are government-owned telescopes, they can lease to whomever.
这些望远镜归政♥府♥所有 他们想给谁用就给谁用
And they don’t want the high priestess of the desert using them anymore.
政♥府♥不想望远镜再给沙漠女巫使用
What?
什么?
Staring at static on TV for hours, listening to washing machines.
说你望着电视静电 听着洗衣机噪音
Did you really think these stories wouldn’t get out?
你真的以为会有出路吗?
I was looking for patterns in the chaos. Doesrt matter, we’re a joke to them.
我在找混沌模式 没关系 我们成了笑柄
They want us out.
他们想赶我们走
We’ve got three months until the paperwork goes through.
我们还有三个月时间完成文书交接
Fine. I’ll start looking for other funding. I’ll just start…
我会去开始找其他投资人 我会…
Could you face reality, please? Just this once, Ellie. We lost.
你能接受现实? 那怕就这一次 艾丽 我们输了
It’s over.
都完了
Fine.

But I’m not stopping.
但我不会停下来
If I have to go it alone, I’ll go it alone. I’ve done it before.
如果必要 我会单干! 我从前也是单干!
My guest tonight is author and theologian Palmer Joss.
这晚的嘉宾是作家兼神学家彭马·曹
He’s become a spiritual counselor of sorts and a recent fixture at the White House.
他最近成为白宫炙手可热的宗教顾问
“God’s Diplomat,” according to The New York Times.
“上帝的外交官” 纽♥约♥时♥报♥这样称呼他
His latest book, Losing Faith, is currently number one…
他的新作”失去信仰” 现时…
on that publicatiors bestseller list.
高居畅销榜上首位
Thanks for being with us, Palmer.
谢谢你到来 朋马
You have had quite a ride this last couple of years.
最近几年你的生活很多姿多采
Yeah, I sure have, Larry.
是的 我想是这样 拉利
You know, Fish, I was thinking.
费希 我在想
Who would make the best astronomers? I mean, think about it.
谁会是最好的天文学家? 想一想
Who has the perfect synthesis of career and lifestyle?
谁有事业和生活方式的完美综合?
I give. Vampires!
我不知道 吸血僵尸!
Are you anti-technology? Are you anti-science?
你是否反技术及反科学呢?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!