It’s very simple. I was in here typing.
一过12点就去打网球
Until I changed for tennis a few minutes after 12:00.
太奇怪了
How very curious.
因为我在您的门口经过 那个时候大概是11点一刻
Because, you know, when I passed by your door at what must have been about 11:15,
-一点声音没有 -这有什么
-I heard no sound. -I can’t help that.
有时候总得停下来想想
One does occasionally pause to think, you know.
看 我打的信
Here. This is what I typed.
您看 打这么一封信至少得花一个小时
As you can see, it would have taken at least an hour to do.
至于这个 您可以在昨天先把它打好
With respect, you could’ve typed that yesterday and brought it with you.
完全不能证明您是今天打的
There’s absolutely no proof that you typed it this morning.
对不起 波洛先生 请原谅
Excuse me, Monsieur Poirot,
我听见了你们的谈话 我能够证明
I just couldn’t help overhearing. I have the proof you need.
-您能证明 -是的
-You do, madame? -Yes.
我有个规矩 每星期要召开一次全体会议
You see every week it’s my custom to collect all my staff together,
对工作人员进行训话
give them a collective boot up the bum.
这对他们有好处 尤其是对意大利人
It does no end of good, particularly the Eyeties.
像爸爸说的 给他们敲敲警钟
Keeps them up to snuff, as my old papa used to say.
这次大会是在中午11点半开
Anyway, that meeting was this morning at 11:30,
会前我走过这儿 去洗手收拾
and just before it I came up here to have a wash and I poked my nose in here
我看见肯尼思在打字 所以我 我没有打扰他
and I saw Kenneth hard at it, so I… I just didn’t disturb him.
不过您在门口看不见那书桌
But, madame, you cannot see the desk from the door.
我从镜子里看见的
I saw him in the mirror.
您从镜
In the mir…
从镜子里看见的
Oh, in the mirror!
你打字打得真快
My goodness, you do type fast, Ken.
弗拉基米尔·霍洛维茨[1903-1989] 俄♥国♥出生的美国浪漫派传统钢琴演奏大♥师♥
就像霍洛维茨在弹钢琴一样
You must be the Horowitz of the Remington.
我说夫人 我举起了几个手指头
Tell me, madame, how many fingers am I holding up?
三个
Three.
对 现在几个
Yes. And now how many?
您 欺负人 您躲起来了
Well, that… that’s not fair, you’re hiding.
夫人 您从镜子里看不见书桌边上的人
Madamn, you cannot see in the mirror someone seated at the desk.
不是我躲起来 是您在撒谎
It is not me that is hiding, it is you who are lying.
您 马歇尔先生 是不是也在撒谎
Now, Monsieur Marshall, are you, by any chance, lying also?
事情很明显 波洛 这封信一共是八页
It should be fairly obvious, Poirot, that that letter, all eight pages of it,
是写给我经纪人的回信
is in reply to this one from my stockbroker,
他的来信是在早上10点半到的
which arrived by this morning’s post at about 10:30.
所以这也很明显
It should, therefore, be equally obvious
我给他写回信也是真的
that I must have typed it when I said I did.
对 合情合理
Yes, it would appear so.
我还想问问您 夫人 我很想知道
Now to revert to you again, madame. I would like to ask you a question
您今天早上散步去灯塔的事
about your promenade to the lighthouse this morning.
您是一个人去的吗
You went alone, I believe?
我一个人
Yes, I did.
那您一定经过阿琳娜被害的海湾了咯
And you must have passed the bay on which Arlena was murdered?
对 经过了 我还看见阿琳娜在海滩上晒太阳
Yes. Yes, I did. I… I also saw Arlena sunning herself.
然后您又从原路回来
Oh, but then you must have taken the same path home.
我并不是说一定的
There is no logical alternative.
不过有这个可能
And I am suggesting to you,
您可以走到海滩上
you could have gone down to the beach,
杀了阿琳娜·马歇尔
murdered Arlena Marshall
在11点半赶回来开您的员工大会
and still been in time for your staff meeting at 11:30.
您简直在胡扯 您当我因为没有像阿琳娜那样
What utter balderdash! You can’t possibly think I’d want to kill Arlena
成了大明星就会杀了她吗
just because the silly cow succeeded on the boards and I didn’t.
不 我没那么想
No, that I do not think.
不过您和马歇尔先生之间有某种微妙关系
But there is a certain tenderness between you and Monsieur Marshall.
否则您就不会像现在这么赤♥裸♥裸地给他打掩护吧
Otherwise why take that absurd risk of trying to protect him just now?
是又怎么样 有什么关系
What if there is? What does it matter?
有关系 因为阿琳娜夫人不让你们如愿
It matters because Madame Arlena was in the way.
波洛先生 您真是个色情迷
Monsieur Poirot, you have the French obsession
对不起 应该说您是个犯罪迷
I’m sorry, Belgian obsession, with crime passionnel.
可这次您找错人了
But you’re barking up the wrong tree.
因为我知道凶手是谁
You see, I know, I know who did it.
您知道 夫人
Oh! You do, madame?
当然 是霍勒斯·布拉特爵士
Of course. It was Sir Horace Blatt.
我散步回来 大概11点一刻的时候
When I came back here from my walk at about 11:15,
我看见他 在海滩上
I saw him down on the beach.
他对着阿琳娜大吵大闹 又吼又叫
He was jumping up and down and screaming blue murder at Arlena.
他的脾气可真吓人
I’ve never seen a fellow in such a fury.
那您为什么不早跟我说 夫人
Why did not you tell me this before, madame?
因为他是您的老朋友
Well, you see he is an old chum, isn’t he?
当时也没想到您会把这罪名
I didn’t know then you were going to start
扣在我和肯尼斯的头上
hurling accusations at me and Kenneth.
您要抓的凶手是他 您还是快去盘问他吧
But he is the chap you want. Why… why don’t you run along and question him?
我问过他 夫人
Yes. I already have done, madame.
他的水手证明他无罪
And he is exonerated by his crew.
同时也证明了您无罪
All the same, his story does confirm yours.
无意之中您证明了自己不在现场
Without knowing it, you have corroborated your own alibi.
太好了 夫人
Bravo, madame.
对不起 肯尼斯 我差点害了你
I’m sorry, Kenneth. I nearly put you in it.
我完全是好心的
I was only trying to help.
知道 我原谅你
I know. I forgive you.
别解释了 我不要听 帕特里克
I don’t want to hear any more about it, Patrick.
谁叫你甘心当那臭女人的哈巴狗
If you hadn’t been poodlefaking with that awful woman,
否则你根本不会去那儿
you wouldn’t have been there in the first place.
夫人
Oh, madame.
对不起 我想问问您今天早上是怎么过的
May I have a quick word with you, please? About how you spent this morning.
我嘛 我跟这事没关系
Why me? I’ve got nothing to do with all this.
阿琳娜·马歇尔不太招您喜欢 夫人
You had no reason to love Arlena Marshall, madame.
是这样
Perhaps not.
一上午我都跟琳达在一起
But I was with Linda all morning.
我一早去找她 叫她跟我
I went to her room early to ask her
一块儿去海鸥湾画画 她人不在
to come to Gull Cove to do some sketching, she wasn’t there.
不过随后她就回来了 她去游泳了
I mean, she came along a few moments later. She’d been swimming.
后来我们一起去了 一早上都在那儿
And then we set off and we were there all morning.
您要不相信我 去问琳达吧 找她谈
If you don’t believe me, ask Linda. She’ll tell you…
-您不要激动夫人 -波洛先生您问吧
-Calmez vous, madame. -Mr Poirot, I’m alright now.
我希望您很冷静地回忆一下
I want you to think about this very, very carefully.
把您离开海湾的准确时间告诉我
At what time precisely did you leave the cove this morning?
我是12点离开的 我是赶回来打网球
I was there until 12 o’clock and I went off for my tennis game.
-您有表吗 -不我没有
-You had a watch? -No. No, I didn’t.
那您怎么知道是12点整
Then how did you know it was precisely 12 o’clock?
因为我爬到悬崖的顶上 对着琳达招手了
Because, well, when I climbed to the top of the cliff and was waving to Linda,
她正在游泳 那炮就响了
who’d gone for a swim, that awful gun went off.
就是每天发的午炮
The one they fire at noon every day.
在这以后呢 夫人
What did you do then, madame?
我们约好12点半打网球
Well, I was late, you see, for my tennis
我出发晚了
which was fixed for 12:30,
我怕赶不及 所以拼命地跑回旅馆
so I simply tore back to the hotel as fast as I could
换了身衣服
and changed into my tennis things.
就赶到网球场 见到他们了
And I went to the court where I met the others.
马歇尔先生 卡梭夫人 加德纳先生
Mr Marshall, Mrs Castle and Mr Gardener.
我跟加德纳先生搭档
I played with Mr Gardener.
-对不起来晚了 -没关系
-I’m sorry I’m late. -Not at all, my dear.
我去海鸥湾画画了 忘了时间
I was sketching at Gull Cove. Lost track of the time.
不要紧 您不过晚了四分钟
Don’t worry. It’s only a matter of four minutes exactly.
现在我们来搭档
I’m afraid you have to play with me.
我们刚开始打
We’d barely started
就听说阿琳娜死了
when the news about Arlena came.
这个事很不幸 波洛先生
Of course, it’s a dreadful thing, Mr Poirot,
不过说实话 我觉得
but I can’t pretend that I’m not…
有所解脱
A little relieved.
我完全能理解
Well, I can understand that.
您还有什么事要问吗
Is there anything else you want to ask?
暂时没有
Not for the time being.
进来
Come in.
-您好 -你好
-Hello. -Hello.
对不起 小姐 我打断了你的哀思
Excuse me, mademoiselle, for intruding into your grief.
哀思 真是笑话 我才不为她难过呢
Grief? That’s a good one. Why should I be sorry for Arlena?
你那么恨她
You hated her so much?
我就是巴不得她死
I’m glad she’s dead if that’s what you mean.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!