because his whole life was…
因为他这辈子…
Why, in the 25 years since he and Uncle Billy started this thing,
在他和比利叔叔创立公♥司♥后的25年里
he never once thought of himself. Isn’t that right, Uncle Billy?
他从没替自己着想过 对吧 比利叔叔?
He didn’t save enough money to send Harry to school, let alone me.
他攒的钱都不够送哈里上学 更别说送我了
But he did help a few people get out of your slums, Mr. Potter.
但一些人的确在他帮助下 搬出了你的贫民窟
And what’s wrong with that?
那有错吗?
Why, here, you’re all businessmen here.
在座的各位都是生意人 你们评评理
Don’t it make them better citizens,
我父亲不就是为了让他们成为更好的公民
and doesn’t it make them better customers?
更好的顾客吗?
You said that they… What’d you say just a minute ago?
你却说他们…你刚刚说什么来的?
They had to wait and save their money
他们必须等 省吃俭用
before they even thought of a decent home.
攒够了钱才能盖像样的房♥子
Wait? Wait for what?
等? 等什么?
Until their children grow up and leave them?
等到孩子成年了 离开他们那时候?
Until they’re so old and broken down that they…
等到风烛残年那刻?
Do you know how long it takes a working man to save $5,000?
你知不知道一个工人 攒5千美金要多长时间?
Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you’re talking about,
你给我记好了 波特先生 你口中的懒鬼和粗人
they do most of the working and paying
才是镇上土生土长
and living and dying in this community.
辛勤劳作的人们
Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die
他们生在镇上 葬在镇上 辛勤工作
in a couple of decent rooms and a bath?
有座体面点的房♥子就过分了吗?
Anyway, my father didn’t think so.
我父亲可不赞同你的观点
People were human beings to him, but to you,
在他眼中 他们都是有血有肉的人…
a warped, frustrated old man, they’re cattle.
但你这个乖戾的怪老头 却把他们当畜牲看待
Well, in my book, he died a much richer man than you’ll ever be.
在我心中 他死了都比你富有
I’m not interested in your book.
你怎样想 我都不感兴趣
I’m talking about the Building and Loan.
我现在说的是这间公♥司♥
I know very well what you’re talking about.
我很清楚你在说什么
You’re talking about something you can’t get your fingers on,
你垂涎这间公♥司♥而不得
and it’s galling you. That’s what you’re talking about, I know.
这让你恨得牙痒痒 你是想说这个吧
Well, I’ve said too much. I…
我讲太多了 我…
You’re the Board here. You do what you want with this thing.
你们才是董事 你们想怎样就怎样吧
There’s just one thing more, though.
只是再次说明一下…
This town needs this measly one horse institution
小镇需要这间破烂小公♥司♥
if only to have someplace
若非是它
where people can come without crawling to Potter.
全镇的人都只能听凭波特作威作福了
Come on, Uncle Billy.
比利叔叔 我们走
Sentimental hogwash. I want my motion.
真是感情用事 满口胡言 请董事会作表决吧
Boy, oh boy, that was telling him, George, old boy.
乔治 讲得太精彩了
You shut his big mouth. You should have heard him.
你说得他哑口无言 你们真该听听他那番话
What happened? We heard a lot of yelling.
怎么回事? 里面大吵大闹的
Well, we’re being voted out of business after 25 years.
有人要我们结束这间经营了25年的公♥司♥
Easy come, easy go. Here it is. “Help wanted. Female.”
好聚好散 看来我得再去找份工作了
You still want me to hang around, George?
乔治 你还要不要坐出租车?
Yeah, I’ll be right down. Yeah, hey, you’ll miss your train.
要 我马上下去 快去吧 不然要误火车了
You’re a week late for school already. Go on.
你已经推迟一周入学了 快去吧
What’s going on in there?
董事会讨论得怎样了?
Never mind. Don’t worry about that.
管他呢 你就别操心了
They’re putting us out of business.
他们一心要解散公♥司♥
So what? I can get another job.
那又如何? 我可以另谋高就的
I’m only 55. 56.
我才55岁呢 56
Go on, go on. Hey, look, you gave up your boat trip,
快去快去 你取消了船游…
now you don’t want to miss college, too, do you?
不会也想放弃上大学吧?
George! George! They voted Potter down.
乔治! 董事会否决了波特
They want to keep it going.
公♥司♥可以继续运营了
You did it, George. You did it.
乔治 你成功了
They got one condition, only one condition.
但他们附加了个条件 只有一个
What’s that? And that’s the best part of it.
什么条件? 那是最精彩部分了
They’ve appointed George here as Executive Secretary
董事会指定乔治出任行政秘♥书♥长♥
to take his father’s place.
接替他父亲的位置
Oh, no! But, Uncle Billy…
不! 比利叔叔才…
You can keep him on. That’s all right.
你可以留用他 这不成问题
As Secretary, you can hire anyone you like.
当了秘♥书♥长♥ 你想雇谁都行了
Dr. Campbell, now let’s get this thing straight. I’m leaving.
坎贝尔博士 恕我直言了 我要走了
I’m leaving right now. I’m going to school.
我现在就走 我要去上大学
This is my last chance.
这是我最后的机会了
Uncle Billy here, he’s your man.
比利叔叔才是能挑大梁的人
But, George,
乔治
they’ll vote with Potter otherwise.
要是你不答应 董事会就会通过波特的提议
I know, I know, he didn’t go. That’s right.
我知道了 他一定没走成 没错
Not only that, but he gave his school money to his brother, Harry,
不仅如此 他把自己的学费都给了弟弟哈里
and sent him to college.
送他去念大学
Harry became a football star.
哈里成了橄榄球明星
Made second team all American.
进了全美橄榄球二队
Yeah, but what happened to George?
乔治后来怎样了?
George got four years older, waiting for Harry to come back
四年过去了 乔治一直在等哈里学成归来
and take over the Building and Loans.
接管了建房♥贷款合作公♥司♥
There are plenty of jobs around for somebody that likes to travel.
对于喜欢旅游的人来说 到处都是工作
Look at this. Here.
看看这个
Venezuela oil fields. “Wanted, man with construction experience.”
委内瑞拉油田招有建筑经验的工人
Here’s the Yukon, right here.
还有加拿大的育空区 这里…
“Wanted, man with engineering experience.”
“诚聘有工程经验的人”
There she blows.
听 多动听的汽笛声
You know what the three most exciting sounds in the world are?
你知道世上三种最令人激动的声音是什么吗?
Breakfast is served. Lunch is served. Dinner…
早餐铃♥声♥ 午餐铃♥声♥ 晚餐…
No, no, no, no! Anchor chains,
错了…是渡轮的锚链声
plane motors and train whistles.
飞机的轰鸣声和火车的汽笛声
Peanut?
来点花生吧
There’s the professor now.
咱们家的学问家回来了
Old Professor Phi Beta Kappa all American Baily.
才高八斗 学通古今的哈里·贝利教授!
Why, old George “Geographic Explorer” Bailey.
这不是名声赫赫的乔治·贝利探险家吗?
What? No husky dogs? No sled?
怎么 你的爱斯基摩狗和雪橇呢?
Uncle Billy, you haven’t changed a bit.
比利叔叔 你一点都没变
Nobody ever changes here, you know that.
咱们小镇还是老样子 这个你最清楚
Oh, am I glad to see you.
见到你真是太高兴了
Say, where’s Mother? She’s home, cooking the fatted calf.
妈妈呢? 正在家做小肥牛肉呢
Come on, let’s go. Oh, wait! Wait, wait a minute.
来 我们走吧 等等! 等一下!
George, Uncle Billy, I want you to meet Ruth.
乔治 比利叔叔 我来介绍一下 这位是露丝
Hello. How do you do?
嗨 你好
Ruth Dakin. Ruth Dakin Bailey, if you don’t mind.
她叫露丝·达金 请称呼我露丝·达金·贝利
Huh? Well, I wired you I had a surprise.
我在电报里不是说了要给你们个惊喜吗?
Here she is. Meet the wife.
这个惊喜就是…我太太露丝
Well, what do you know? A wife.
你听清楚没? 都有太太了
Well, how do you do? Congratulations. How do you do?
幸会 恭喜你了 幸会
What am I doing? Congratulations!
我这是怎么了? 这可真是可喜可贺!
Doggone it, Harry, you… They’re married!
哈里你这浑球… 他们结婚了!
Why don’t you tell somebody?
你怎么只字不提呢?
Come on, Mrs. Bailey, I can’t wait to see everybody’s reaction.
走吧 我等不及 要告诉大家这个好信息了
You’re really married? Why, yes.
你俩真的结婚了? 是呀
What’s a pretty girl like you doing
像你这么漂亮的姑娘
marrying this two headed brother of mine?
怎么会答应嫁给我那个糊涂弟弟呢?
Well, I’ll tell you. It’s purely mercenary. My father offered him a job.
这纯粹是桩买♥♥卖♥♥婚姻 我父亲给了他一份工作
Oh, he got you and the job? Well, Harry’s cup runneth over.
事业美人双丰收? 哈里这小子真幸运
George, about that job.
乔治 关于工作的事
Ruth spoke out of turn. I never said I’d take it.
露丝言过其实了 我并没有答应
You’ve been holding the bag here for four years, and,
你已经扛了四年包袱了
well, I won’t let you down, George. I would like to…
我不会让你失望的 我会…
Oh, wait a minute. I forgot the bags. I’ll be right back.
等等 我忘记拿行李了 我去去就回
It was a surprise to me.
这可真是个惊喜
This is the new Mrs. Bailey, my nephew’s wife.
这位是我侄子的新媳妇
How are you? Old, old friend of the Baileys.
你好 这位是咱们贝利家的老朋友
Oh, really? What are their names? Let’s see…
是吗? 他们叫什么? 认识下…
Oh, of course, I’ve heard him speak of you.
当然了 哈里提过你
And I want to tell you, we’re gonna give the biggest party
不怕告诉你 我们要大肆庆祝一番…
this town ever saw.
举♥行♥一个空前隆重的宴会
Here, have some popcorn.
来点爆米花吧
George, George, George. That’s all Harry ever talks about.
哈里张口闭口都是你这个哥哥
Ruth, this…
露丝…
What about this job?
这份工作是怎么回事?
Well, my father owns a glass factory in Buffalo.
我爸爸在水牛城有间玻璃厂

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!