just like we do.
我们现在不再是在一个充满意识形态
We no longer live in a world of nations
和国家观念的世界里生活 比厄先生
and ideologies, Mr. Beale.
这个世界
The world
是个由企业组成的团体
is a college of corporations
它毫不留情地被不可改变的
inexorably determined
商业法则决定着
by the immutable bylaws of business.
这个世界就是商业
The world is a business, Mr. Beale.
从人从泥土里爬出来那时起就是
It has been since man crawled out of the slime.
我们的孩子们 比厄先生
And our children will live, Mr. Beale
将会看到
to see that
一个完美的世界
perfect world
没有战争和饥荒
in which there’s no war or famine
压♥迫♥和残忍♥
oppression or brutality.
一个巨大的普天下所有的公♥司♥
One vast and ecumenical holding company
大家都在那里工作获得同等的报酬
for whom all men will work to serve a common profit
持有一定的股份
in which all men will hold a share of stock
获得所有的生活必需品
all necessities provided
所有的焦虑都得到安抚
all anxieties tranquillized
所有的烦闷都得到开解
all boredom amused.
我选择了你 比厄先生
And I have chosen you, Mr. Beale
去传讲这个福音
to preach this evangel.
为什么挑我
Why me?
因为你上电视 笨蛋
Because you’re on television, dummy.
6千万美国人听你说话
Sixty million people watch you every night of the week,
从周一到周五
Monday through Friday.
我看见了上帝的脸
I have seen the face of God.
你说对了 比厄先生
You just might be right, Mr. Beale.
那天晚上霍华德·比厄继续主持他的节目
That evening, Howard Beale went on the air
传讲亚瑟·杰森的公♥司♥宇宙论
to preach the corporate cosmology of Arthur Jensen.
昨晚 我在这里告诉你们说
Last night I got up here and asked you people
为了你们继承的财产而斗争
to stand up and fight for your heritage,
你们照做了 而且干得很漂亮
and you did, and it was beautiful.
白宫收到了600万封电报
Six million telegrams were received at the White House.
阿♥拉♥伯人接手美国通讯公♥司♥的交易被终止了
The Arab takeover of CCA has been stopped.
人♥民♥说话 人♥民♥胜利
The people spoke, the people won.
这是民♥主♥万丈光芒的迸射
It was a radiant eruption of democracy.
但我想也就这样了 伙伴们
But I think that was it, fellas.
那种事情不太可能再发生了
That sort of thing is not likely to happen again.
因为在我们每个人惊恐的灵魂深处
Because at the bottom of all our terrified souls
都知道民♥主♥是个垂死的巨人
we know that democracy is a dying gianta sick,
一个病恹恹的垂死的 即将腐烂的政♥治♥观念
sick, dying, decaying, political concept writhing
在它最后的日子里痛苦地翻来翻去
in its final pain. The States is the richest and most powerful
我不是说到最后 美国将会是世界上最强大的国家
I don’t mean that the United States is finished as a world power.
会是世界上最富有最先进的国家
The States is the richest and most powerful
会领先所有别的国家许多光年
the most advanced country, light years ahead of any country.
共♥产♥党不会掌握世界
I don’t mean the communists are gonna take over the world.
因为他们比我们更加没有生机
The communists are deader than we are.
到最后
What is finished
这个伟大的国家将会
is the idea that this great country
致力于为每个公民带来自♥由♥和兴盛
is dedicated to the freedom and flourishing of every individual in it.
这就是每个人到最后的结果
It’s the individual that’s finished.
这是每个单独的独♥立♥的人 最后的结果
It’s the single, solitary, human being that’s finished.
这就是你们在座每一个人 最后的结果
It’s every single one of you out there that’s finished.
因为这不再是由独♥立♥的人组成的国家
Because this is no longer a nation of independent individuals.
这是一个2亿多晶体管化的
It’s a nation of some 200-odd million
除臭的漂白的系着钢带的身体组成的国家
transistorized, deodorized whiter than white steel-belted bodies,
人已经完全不是必需的了
totally unnecessary as human beings
就像活塞杆一样容易找到替代品
and as replaceable as piston rods.
这个时代是”失去人性的时代”
Well, the time has come to say
这个词用得不好
is “dehumanization” such a bad word?
不管是好是坏 这个世界就是如此
Whether it’s good or bad, that’s what is so.
整个世界正在变成似人非人的
The whole world is becoming humanoid,
看上去像人但又不是
creatures that look human but aren’t.
是整个世界 不仅仅是我们
The whole world, not just us.
我们是最先进的 所以我们最先到达那里
We’re just the most advanced country, so we’re getting there first.
全世界的人♥民♥都会变成大量生产的
The whole world’s people are becoming mass-produced,
程序化的编号♥的
programmed numbered insensate things.
霍华德·比厄那天提出了大家能够接受的观点
It was a perfectly admissible argument
在接下来的几天里又进一步补充
that Howard Beale advanced in the days that followed.
但是 那个观点太抑郁了
It was, however, also a very depressing one.
没有人特别留心去听他完全无价值的生活
Nobody particularly cared to hear his life was utterly valueless.
到6月的第1个星期末
By the end of the first week in June
他的节目开机率下降了1个百分点
the Howard Beale Show dropped one point in the ratings
收视走势自上年11月以来
and its trend of shares dipped under 48
首次跌到48%以下
for the first time since last November.
你是他的经理人 娄
You’re his goddamn agent.
我指着你让那个疯子说些有道理的话
I’m counting on you to talk some sense into the lunatic.
没有人愿意听垂死的民♥主♥和失去人性的时代
Nobody wants to hear about dying democracy and dehumanization.
抱歉我来晚了
I’m sorry I’m late.
代理商们总是向我们抱怨
We’re starting to get rumbles from the agencies.
广♥告♥赞助商也马上就要撤出
Another couple of weeks and the sponsors will be bailing out!
这是违反合同的
This is a breach of contract.
他不是我们当时签的霍华德·比厄和他解除合同
This isn’t the Howard Beale we signed. Get him off that corporate universe kick,
我要停播他的节目
or so help me, I’ll pull it off the air!
我跟他说过 我一个礼拜 每天都跟他说
I told him, Lou! I’ve been telling him every day for a week!
我已经不想再跟他说了 你跟他说
I’m sick of telling him. Now you tell him!
上帝啊
Jesus Christ.
你能帮我劝劝霍华德
You could help me out with Howard if you wanted to.
他听你的 你是他最好的朋友
He listens to you. You’re his best friend.
我已经对霍华德的歇斯底里厌烦透了
I’m tired of all this hysteria about Howard Beale.
每次你见过你们家的谁谁之后
Every time you come from seeing somebody in your family
回来就是这种病态的中年情绪
you come back in one of these middle-aged moods.
我烦透了每次回来时你都在打电♥话♥
I’m tired of finding you on the telephone every time I turn around.
我烦透了做你生活的附属品
I’m tired of being an accessory in your life.
我烦透了假装写这本讲述我
And I’m tired of pretending to write this dumb book
最初在电视界过的迷茫日子的破书
about my maverick days in the great early years of television.
过去20年里每个电视公♥司♥被炒的执行官
Every goddamned executive fired from a network in the last 20 years
都写过这种说他们早年如何在电视界混的破书
has written this dumb book about the great early years of television.
没有人愿意买♥♥一本无趣的该死的
And nobody wants a dumb, damn, goddamn
说早年电视界的破书
book about the early days of television.
很好 也许你可以改行做演员
Terrific, Max! Maybe you can start a whole new career as an actor.
是真的
It’s the truth.
和你共同生活了6个月以后
After living with you for six months,
我也是你剧本里的一个角色了
I’m turning into one of your scripts.
可这不是剧本
Well, this is not a script, Diana.
这是真正的实际的生活
There’s some real, actual life going on here.
我今天去看我妻子 因为她一直很沮丧
I went to visit my wife today because she’s in a state of depression
沮丧到我女儿专门从西雅图飞回来陪她
so depressed that my daughter flew all the way from Seattle to be with her.
我觉得自己很龌龊
And I feel lousy about that.
我为自己给妻子和孩子带来那么大的伤痛感到龌龊
I feel lousy about the pain that I’ve caused my wife and my kids.
我觉得内疚良心受到谴责
I feel guilty and conscience-stricken
你可能觉得这些是柔情万种
and all of those things that you think sentimental
可在我这个年代的人看来
but which my generation calls
这些只不过是寻常的正直的人性
simple, human decency.
我想家了
And I miss my home
因为我开始变得极度害怕
because I’m beginning to get scared shitless.
因为突然就好像更接近终点了 而不是起点
Because all of a sudden it’s closer to the end than it is to the beginning.
而且我似乎已经可以从有限的
And death is suddenly a perceptible thing to me
事情上感受到死亡的脚步了
with definable features.
你在和一个天生疑惧的人交往
You’re dealing with a man that has primal doubts, Diana
你不得不好好应付
and you’ve got to cope with it.
我不是那些在《芭芭拉·沃尔特秀》上
I’m not some guy discussing male menopause
讨论男性更年期的男人
on the Barbara Walters Show.
我是你可能爱着的男人
I’m the man that you presumably love.
我是你生命的一部分
I’m part of your life.
我住在这里 我是真的
I live here. I’m real.
你不能换去别家电视台
You can’t switch to another station.
确切地说 你想我怎么做
What exactly is it you want me to do?
我只想你爱我
I just want you to love me.
我只想你爱我 爱我天生的疑惧和所有

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!