The Ecumenicals are an undisciplined ultra-left gang
他们的领导是一个怪人 这已经说得很客气了
whose leader is an eccentric, to say the least.
他管他自己叫”伟大的艾哈迈德·汗”
He calls himself the Great Ahmed Kahn
而且总带着轻骑兵的军帽
and wears a hussar’s shako.
我们说的是3000到5000万观众收看的节目
Ms. Hobbs, we’re talking about 30 to 50 million people a shot.
这比在少数民族聚居区的街道上
It’s a lot better than handing out
发放油印的小册子要好多了
mimeographed pamphlets on ghetto street corners.
我得把这事儿跟中♥央♥委员会商量一下
I’ll have to take this matter to the central Committee
而且 我还得看看”伟大的艾哈迈德·汗”有没有意见
and I’d better check it out with the Great Ahmed Kahn.
我会在洛杉矶一直呆到周六
I’ll be in L.A. until Saturday,
我希望能看到一切进展顺利
and I’d like to get it rolling.
你好啊 艾哈迈德 你肯定不会相信
Well, Ahmed, you ain’t gonna believe this.
我要把你变成一个电视明星啦
But I’m gonna make a TV star out of you.
就像亚奇·邦克一样
Just like Archie Bunker.
你会变得家喻户晓
You gonna be a household word.
你♥他♥妈♥在胡说些什么
What the fuck are you talking about?
-30秒 -VTA准备
-Thirty seconds. -All right, ready VTA.
第一 摇镜头 给所有观众拍一个全景
One, you have the audience to pan.
第二 拉伸调整视窗
Two, you have the window to pull.
第三 把镜头对准报幕员
Three, you’re on the announcer.
20秒
Twenty.
VTA准备好了
Stand by, VTA.
15 14 13 12
Fifteen, fourteen, thriteen, twelve,
滚动VTA
Roll VTA.
9 8 7
nine, eight, seven
6 5 4
six, five, four,
3 2 1
three,two, one.
三号♥机 提示报幕员
Three, cue announcer.
女士们先生们 让我先问一句 你们感觉怎么样
Ladies and gentlemen, let’s hear it. How do you feel?
我已经疯了 再也受不了这样下去了
We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take this anymore!
女士们先生们 这里是《无线新闻时间》
Ladies and gentlemen, the Network News Hour
有请西比尔·苏斯塞尔
with Sibyl the Soothsayer!
吉姆·万冰和他的”这就是艾姆斯真♥相♥部”
Jim Webbing and his It’s-the-Emes Truth Department.
玛塔·哈里和她的衣橱里的骷髅
Ms. Mata Hari and her Skeletons in the Closet.
另外 今晚另一个环节是”人♥民♥的声音”
And tonight, another segment of Vox Populi.
主持人是有”空中疯狂预言家”之称的霍华德·比厄
And starring the Mad Prophet of the Airways, Howard Beale!
爱德华·乔治·卢迪今天去世了
Edward George Ruddy died today.
爱德华·乔治·卢迪是我们联合广播公♥司♥
Edward George Ruddy was the chairman of the board
董事会的主席
of the Union Broadcasting Systems
他今天上午11点死于心脏病发
and he died at 11:00 this morning
我们真难过 我们遇到了很多困难
of a heart condition, and woe is us, we’re in a lot of trouble.
你会说 只不过是一个富有的白头发的矮个男人去世了
So a rich little man with white hair died.
与米价又没有什么关系
What has that got to do with the price of rice, right?
我们难过什么呢
And why is that woe to us?
因为你们
Because you people
还有正在看我节目的6200万美国观众
and 62 million other Americans are listening to me right now.
因为你们当中看书的人不到3%
Because less than 3 percent of you people read books.
看报纸的不到15%
Because less than 15 percent of you read newspapers.
你们只关心怎样才能从电视里找到解脱
Because the only truth you know is what you get over this tube.
现在 有整整一代人
Right now, there is a whole and entire generation
根本不知道电视外面是什么
that never knew anything that didn’t come out of this tube.
电视是福音是最终的启示
This tube is the Gospel. The ultimate revelation.
它能让你当上总统教皇总理
This tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers!
也能把你从这些位子上拽下来
This tube is the most awesome goddamn force
它是这个不信神的世界里 最强大的令人敬畏的力量
in the whole godless world!
如果电视被坏人利用了 我们难道不应该难过吗
And woe is us if it ever falls into the hands of the wrong people.
这就是为什么爱德华·乔治·卢迪的死
And that’s why woe is us
会让我们大家都难过
that Edward George Ruddy died.
现在这个公♥司♥已经在美国通讯公♥司♥的控制之下了
Because this company is now in the hands of CCA
美国通讯公♥司♥
the Communication Corporation of America.
董事会有了一个新主席
There’s a new chairman.
他的名字叫弗兰克·哈克特
A man called Frank Hackett
坐在20层的卢迪先生的办公室里
sitting in Mr. Ruddy’s office on the 20th floor!
当世界上第12大的公♥司♥
And when the 12th largest company in the world
掌管了这个不信神的世界里
controls the most awesome, goddamn propaganda force
最强大的令人敬畏的宣传力量
in the whole godless world
谁知道以后这个公♥司♥会打着真理的旗号♥传播多少屁话
who knows what shit will be peddled for truth on this network.
所以听我说 听我说
So you listen to me. Listen to me!
电视不是真理
Television is not the truth.
电视只是个游乐场
Television’s a goddamned amusement park.
电视是马戏团 是嘉年华 是流动的杂技班子
Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats
是讲故事的 跳舞的 唱歌♥的 变戏法的 杂耍的
storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, sideshow freaks,
驯狮子的 玩橄榄球的
lion-tamers and football players.
我们的工作就只是打发无聊
We’re in the boredom-killing business.
如果你想要真理 去找上帝
So if you want the truth, go to God.
去你的宗教指导那里
Go to your gurus.
去你自己那里
Go to yourselves.
因为只有那里你才能找到真正的真理
Because that’s the only place you’re ever gonna find any real truth.
但是 你永远也不会从我们这里得到真理
But, man, you’re never gonna get any truth from us.
我们会告诉你你爱听的 我们说谎眼睛都不眨
We’ll tell you anything you want to hear. We lie like hell.
我们会告诉你神探高捷 总是能找到凶手
We’ll tell you that, uh, Kojak always gets the killer
而且亚奇·邦克家里没有人会得癌症
and that nobody ever gets cancer in Archie Bunker’s house.
无论主角们身陷怎样的危境 都不用担心
No matter how much trouble the hero is in, don’t worry
看看表 这个小时过完他保证能闯过来
just look at your watch, at the end of the hour he’s gonna win!
我们会给你讲你想听的任何屁话
We’ll tell you any shit you want to hear.
我们玩的就是虚的 没有一样是实在的
We deal in illusions, man. None of it is true.
但是你们大家日复一日 夜复一夜地坐在这里
But you people sit there, day after day, night after night
你们有着不同的年纪肤色信仰
all ages, colors, creeds.
我们是你们所了解的一切
We’re all you know.
你们愿意相信
You’re beginning to believe
我们在这里编织的幻境
the illusions we’re spinning here.
你们会认为电视是现实 你们的生活是不真实的
You’re beginning to think the tube is reality and that your own lives are unreal.
你愿意做电视里让你做的任何事
You do whatever the tube tells you.
你像电视里一样穿 一样吃
Dress like the tube, you eat like the tube
像电视里一样养孩子 甚至像电视里一样思考
raise your children like the tube, you think like the tube.
这就是民众的疯狂 你们疯了你们知道吗
This is mass madness, you maniacs.
我以上帝的名义告诉你们 你们才是真正存在的
In God’s name, you people are the real thing.
我们是幻象是假的
We are the illusion.
所以 把你们的电视关上 现在就关上
So turn off your television sets. Turn them off now.
把它们关上 以后再也不用了
Turn them off right now. Turn them off and leave them off.
在我这句话说到一半时 把它们关上
Turn them off right in the middle of the sentence I’m speaking to you now.
关上电视
Turn them off!
在把电视网的1.1亿负债算上之后
UBS was running at a cash flow break-even point
联合广播公♥司♥的财政状况是收支平衡
after taking into account $110 million of negative cash flow from the network.
很明显 应该把这个公♥司♥的盈利部门分出去
It was clear the fat on the network had to be flitched off.
请记住突出的原始制片收入
Please note an increase in projected initial programming revenues
高达2100万
in the amount of $21 million
来自《霍华德·比厄秀》的惊人成功
due to the phenomenal success of the Howard Beale Show.
我期望整个联合企业在这个财政年度
I expect a positive cash flow
能够获得4500万的收益
for the entire complex of 45 million
也就是说 比预定计划提前一年实现
achievable in this fiscal year, a year, in short, ahead of schedule.
除了这个
I go beyond that.
基于报告上投入资本预计的回报率
This network may well be the most significant profit center
电视网应该成为整个通讯总公♥司♥
of the communications complex.
最主要的盈利中心
And based upon the projected rate of return on invested capital
而且 如果合并完成的话
and if merger is eventually accomplished
通讯总公♥司♥将会成为
the communications complex may well become
整个美国通讯公♥司♥帝国里
the towering and most profitable center
最突出的盈利中心
in the entire CCA empire.
我等待诸位的问题和批评
I await your questions and comments.
杰森先生
Mr. Jensen?
很好 弗兰克 值得发扬 继续保持
Very good, Frank. Exemplary. Keep it up.
请你喝杯咖啡
Buy you a cup of coffee?
哦 好
Hell, yes.
你不用赶着去公♥司♥吗
Do you have to get back to the office?
没有什么要紧事儿
Nothing that can’t wait.
我时常去新闻演播室
I drop down to the news studios every now and then
向霍华德·比厄打听你的情况
and ask Howard Beale about you,
-他说你很好 是吗 -不好
-and he says you’re doing fine. -Are you? No.
你一直都很忙吗
Are you keeping busy?
勉勉强强算是吧

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!