It was, after all, my last.
-昨晚的收视调查出来了吗 -在你桌子上
-Did the overnight ratings come in yet? -They’re on your desk.
前天晚上的呢
Have you still got yesterday’s overnights?
-我把它们拿进来 -好
-Shall I bring them in? -Yeah.
这是环球交来的 一小时电视剧的剧情梗概
These are those four outlines submitted by Universal for an hour series.
您不用看了 我念给您听
You needn’t bother to read them. I’ll tell them to you.
第一个发生在东部的一个法学院 假设是哈佛
The first one is set in a large Eastern law school, presumably Harvard.
这部剧有个非常有魅力的名字《新一代律师》
The series is irresistibly entitled The New Lawyers.
角色有 一个顽固又仁慈的前任最高法官
The running characters are a crusty but benign ex-Supreme Court Justice
一个大概由奥利弗·温德尔·福尔摩斯饰演的左巴医生
presumably Oliver Wendell Holmes by way of Dr. Zorba.
一个漂亮的女研究生和当地一个才华横溢
There is a beautiful girl graduate student and the district attorney
但有时投机取巧的检察官
who is brilliant and sometimes cuts corners.
说下一个吧
Next one.
第二个叫《亚马逊小分队》
The second one is called The Amazon Squad.
讲的是一群女警
Lady cops?
角色包括一个顽固又仁慈
The running characters include a crusty but benign lieutenant
总是被局长施以重压的副警官
who’s always getting heat from the commissioner
一个强悍酗酒认为
a hard-drinking detective who thinks
女人就该老老实实呆在厨房♥里的侦探
women belong in the kitchen
一个聪明漂亮的反对女权的年轻警♥察♥
and a brilliant and beautiful young girl cop who’s fighting the feminist battle.
我们很忙 没功夫听什么陀枪师姐
We’re up to our ears in lady cops.
下一个又是一个那种写调查记者的故事
The next is another one of those investigative reporter shows.
一个顽固又仁慈的主编
A crusty but benign managing editor who’s always
你知道 芭芭拉
You know, Barbara
阿♥拉♥伯人决定上调油价20%
the Arabs have decided to jack up the price of oil another 20 percent.
中♥央♥情报局拆汉弗莱参议员的信件 被抓了个正着
Uh, the CIA has been caught opening Senator Humphrey’s mail.
安哥拉现在正爆发内战 贝鲁特也在打仗
There’s a civil war in Angola, another one in Beirut.
纽约仍然面临着拖欠债务
The New York City’s still facing default.
他们最终抓住了帕特丽·夏哈斯特
They finally caught up with Patricia Hearst.
今天的《每日新闻》的头版 全部写的是霍华德·比厄
And the whole front page of the Daily News is Howard Beale.
《泰♥晤♥士♥报♥》头版也有一篇 而且占了两栏的篇幅
There’s also a two-column story on Page 1 of the Times.
海伦 给哈克特办公室打电♥话♥
Helen, call Mr. Hackett’s office.
看看他今早能不能花几分钟 跟我谈谈
See if he can give me a few minutes this morning.
堪萨斯城的KTNS不想再转播
KTNS, Kansas City, refuses to carry
我们的《无线新闻》节目了
our Network News show anymore
除非让比厄离开这个节目
unless Beale is taken off the air.
你看昨天的《无线新闻》的收视报告了吗
Did you see the overnights on the Network News?
纽约的开机率是8% 洛杉矶的是9%
It has an eight in New York, a nine in L.A.
两地的收视率都是27%
and a 27 share in both cities.
昨晚 霍华德·比厄在直播节目中
Last night Howard Beale went on the air
嚷嚷了两分钟的”狗屎”
and yelled “bullshit” for two minutes
我可以告诉你
and I can tell you right now that
今晚的节目收视率至少30%
tonight’s show will get a 30 share, at least.
我想我们或许可以碰碰运气
I think we’ve lucked into something.
看在上帝的份上 饶了我吧 戴安娜
For God’s sakes.
你是说让我们重播他精神错乱
Are you suggesting that we put that lunatic back on the air
满嘴”狗屎”那段节目吗
yelling “bullshit”?
对 我想我们可以今晚还播比厄的节目
I think we should put Beale back on the air tonight
让他一直播下去
and keep him on.
你看今早的新闻了吗 你看《泰♥晤♥士♥报♥》了吗
Did you see the news this morning? Did you see the Times?
我们这事儿有专门的报道
We’ve got press on this
这是你花一百万也买♥♥不来的
you couldn’t buy for a million dollars.
这个节目收视率一晚上提升了5个百分点
Frank. That dumb show jumped five rating points in one night.
今天晚上至少15个
Tonight’s show has gotta be at least 15.
我们昨晚上一晚上就增加了两三千万的观众
We just increased our audience by 20 or 30 million people in one night.
你以后再也不可能碰到像这种天上掉馅饼的好事儿了
You’re not gonna get this dumped in your lap for the rest of your days.
别让这次机会溜走
You can’t piss it away.
霍华德昨晚说的让每个美国人
Howard Beale said what every American feels
都觉得深有同感
that he’s tired of
他对现在的”狗屎”生活感到厌倦了
all the bullshit.
他说出了广大民众的愤怒
He’s articulating the popular rage.
我想要这个节目 弗兰克
I want that show, Frank.
我可以把这个节目办成最成功的电视节目
I can turn that show into the biggest smash on television.
什么就你要这个节目
What do you mean?
这是个新闻节目 跟你的栏目组无关
It’s a news show. It’s not your department.
我把霍华德看成是一个现代的预言家
A magnificent, messianic figure inveighing
一个猛烈攻击我们这个虚伪的时代的大救星
against the hypocrisies of our times.
一个跳脱衣舞的萨沃纳罗拉 从周一到周五
A strip Savonarola, Monday through Friday
收视率一定会冲上云霄的
that I tell you, Frank, could just go through the roof
我说的是一个6美元成本的节目
and I’m talking about a $6 cost per thousand show.
我说的是一个每分钟卖♥♥130万的节目
I’m talking about a hundred, a 130,000-dollar minutes.
想想吧
Do you wanna figure out
一个脱衣舞秀每分钟的收益是100万
the revenues of a strip show that sells for 100,000 bucks a minute?
一个这样的节目能拯救整个公♥司♥的财务状况
One show like that could pull this network out of the hole.
这个机会就在我们眼前 我们别让它跑了
Frank, it’s being handed to us on a plate. Let’s not blow it.
是我
Yes?
告诉他我几分钟后到
Tell him I’ll be a few minutes.
-让我再好好考虑一下 -别把这个放到委员会上讨论
-Let me think it over. -Frank, let’s not go to committee on this.
现在是10点20 我希望比厄6点半能到演播室
It’s 20 after 10. We want Beale in that studio.
我不希望失掉现在这个趁热打铁的火候
We don’t wanna lose the momentum.
看在上帝的份上
For God’s sake,
我们难道真的要让一个不负责任的人
Diana we’re talking about putting a manifestly
还留在国家电视台上吗
irresponsible man on national television.
我想先和法律事务赫伯塔克利
I’d like to talk to Legal Affairs at least and Herb Thackeray
乔伊·唐纳利谈一下标准和实施
and certainly Joe Donnelly in Standards and Practices.
你知道在这件事上我和卢迪先生一直相持不下
And you know, I’m going to be eyeball to eyeball with Mr. Ruddy on this.
如果我要和卢迪先生为此有一番争斗的话
If I’m going to the mat with Ruddy,
我得先弄清楚我的立场
I wanna make sure of some of my ground.
我已经豁出去了
I’m the one whose ass is going on the line.
你得给我做出点成绩才行 戴安娜
I’ll get back to you, Diana.
我不敢相信一个全国性电视公♥司♥的
I don’t believe this. I don’t believe the top brass
要员们竟然坐在这儿吃恺撒沙拉
of a national television network are sitting around their salads
是破产的全国性电视公♥司♥的要员
The top brass of a bankrupt national television network
还背负着预计1亿5千万的亏损
with projected losses of close to $150 million.
我才不管什么破产不破产
I don’t care how bankrupt.
你不会真的提议 你们也不会真的考虑
You can’t be seriously proposing, and the rest of us seriously considering
播出一档色情新闻节目吧
putting on a pornographic Network News show.
-通信委员会会杀了我们的 -坐下 尼尔森
-The FCC’d kill us. -Sit down, Nelson.
通信委员会除了斥责我们两句 还能干什么
The FCC can’t do anything except rap our knuckles.
我都懒得去想争论的可能性
I don’t even wanna think about the litigious possibilities, Frank.
如果诉讼的话我们会很忙
Could be up to our ears in lawsuits.
子公♥司♥会不肯转播我们的节目的
The affiliates won’t carry it.
如果你能给他们一档火的节目 他们可什么都愿意干
Affiliates will kiss your ass, if you can hand them a hit show.
-但是公众的反应 -我们并不知道公众的反应
-The popular reaction… -We don’t know the popular reaction.
-那得靠我们去查明 -《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》说
We have to find out. The New York Times
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》又不是我们的广♥告♥客户
The New York Times doesn’t advertise on our network.
反正就我所知
All I know is
这违反了每一个有名望的广播公♥司♥的规则
this violates every canon of respectable broadcasting.
我们不是什么名门望族 我们就是个青楼妓院
We’re not a respectable network. We’re a whorehouse network.
我们得为了得到客人不惜手段
We have to take whatever we can get.
我可不想和你们同流合污
Well, I don’t want any part of it.
我不想把我自己想成 妓院的老鸨
I don’t fancy myself the president of a whorehouse.
你说得很好 尼尔森 坐下
That’s very commendable of you, Nelson. Now, sit down.
你的义愤填膺我们都准确地看到了
Your indignation has been duly recorded.
你明天任何时间辞职都可以
You can always resign tomorrow.
我们大体上应该建议改些什么呢
Now look, what in substance are we proposing?
仅仅只是对我们的无线新闻节目加一些评论
Merely to add editorial comment to our Network News show.
布林克利 塞瓦赖德 里森纳
Brinkley, Sevareid, Reasoner,
他们都有自己的评论
all have their comments.
从现在起 比厄也会有他自己的
Now Howard Beale will have his.
我想我们应该先录一次试试
I think we ought to give it a shot.
看看今晚会有什么效果 电♥话♥拿过来一下
Let’s see what happens tonight. Telephone, please.
我可不想当那个把这个消息告诉舒马赫的人
I don’t wanna be the messenger that has to tell Max Schumacher.
他已经不在这儿工作了
Max doesn’t work at this network anymore.
卢迪先生昨晚把他炒了
Mr. Ruddy fired him last night.
现在鲍勃·麦克唐纳管新闻部
Bob McDonough’s running the news division now.
请找一下新闻部鲍勃·麦克唐纳
Bob McDonough in News, please.
我不知道
Oh, I don’t know.
我可以去教书或是写本书
I may teach or I may write a book
别人在这个秋天快要到来的时候干啥 我也能干啥
whatever the hell one does when one approaches the autumn of one’s years.
老天 那是我吗

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!