是谁淹死了我们!
That who’s drowned-us!
哦!
Oh!
说,汤姆?
Say, Tom?
你觉得他们真的以为我淹死了吗?
Do you suppose they really think I’m drownded?
当然了。你不高兴吗?
Course they do. Ain’t ya glad?
我想是的,但我想也许我妈妈会…你妈妈让你穿鞋的,对吧?
Well, I suppose so, but I thought maybe my mother would-well… Your mother made you wear shoes, didn’t she?
嗯,是的,但是……如果她觉得很难过,也许我应该回家。
Well, yes, but, well… If she felt too bad, well, maybe I ought to go home.
什么?
What?
你知道的,只是来看看。
Well, you know, just for a visit.
访问吗?
Visit?
你只是害怕。
You’re just scared.
见鬼,我打赌你们俩都想回家。
Shucks, I’ll bet you’ll both want to go home.
哦!
Aw!
乔?
Joe?
乔?
Joe?
什么?
What?
你回家后想做什么?
What do you want to be when you go home?
你的意思是……你是说,我们要回家了?
You mean… You mean, we’re gonna go home?
也许10年或20年后。
In about 10 or 20 years maybe.
哦。
Oh.
10年或20年。
10 or 20 years.
我认为……我想我会成为一名将军。
I think… I think I’ll be a general.
然后当我带着剑和奖牌回家,也许还有一条腿……我爷爷断了一条腿。
Then when I come home with my sword and medals and maybe one leg off… My grandpa’s got one leg off.
或者我应该去西部加入印第安人。
Or maybe I ought to go out west and join the Indians.
等我当上了首领,我就会穿上羽毛,涂上战漆,大摇大摆地去主日学校。
Then when I was chief, I’d put on my feathers and war paint and come prancin’ into Sunday school.
我妈总是在主日学校前给我们薄饼和糖浆。
My ma always give us pancakes and molasses before Sunday school.
我知道!
I know!
我要当海盗。
I’ll be a pirate.
然后,我就可以带着我的弯刀和马手♥枪♥径直驶到城里去,他们都会躲起来说:“汤姆·索亚,海上的怪物,又回来了。”
Then I could sail right up to town with my cutlass and horse pistols, and they’d all hide and say, “Tom Sawyer, the terror of the seas, is back home again.”
是的…又回家了。
Yeah… back home again.
嗯…嗯…当海盗有一点,没人会因为你洗脚而麻烦你。
Well… well… One thing about being a pirate, nobody’s gonna bother you about washin’ your feet.
我妈妈总是让我用肥皂洗脚。
My ma always makes me wash my feet with soap.
是的。
Yeah.
但我敢打赌,她不会每天晚上把被子闷在你脖子上,也不会对你的枕头大惊小怪。
But I bet she don’t smother the covers up around your neck or fuss around with your pillow every night.
妈妈给我买♥♥了鸭绒。
Ma got me an eiderdown.
嗯…不管怎样,我们早上就不用听他们那么大声、那么欢快地敲盘子、又说又笑了。
Well… anyhow, we won’t have to listen to ’em in the mornin’, rattlin’ the dishes and talkin’ and laughin’ so loud and cheerful.
我妈早上不怎么笑,但她会唱好听的赞美诗。
My ma don’t laugh much in the morning, but she sings nice hymns.
当然没有那么好的游泳
Course there ain’t such good swimmin’
哪儿都像这儿一样,乔。
anywhere’s as here, Joe.
但没人告诉你不能进去就没那么好玩了。
But it ain’t so much fun when there’s nobody to tell you you can’t go in.
我可以告诉你,你不能进去,乔。
I could tell you you can’t go in, Joe.
我想让我妈告诉我,我不能进去。
I want my ma to tell me I can’t go in.
再也见不到我们的孩子了。
Never to see our boys again.
哈帕太太
Oh, Mrs. Harper
这是一首诗,哈帕太太,献给你们的乔和我们的汤姆。
It’s a poem, Mrs. Harper, to your Joe and our Tom.
读吧,孩子。
Uh, read it, child.
玛丽·沃兹沃斯·索耶《淹死的男孩》
“Our drownded boys by Mary Wadsworth Sawyer.
“唉,我们破碎的心是如此悲伤。
“Alack, our broken hearts are so sad.
“唉,我们的悲伤,是如此难以衡量。
“Alack, our sorrow, it is so hard to measure.
因为尽管很多时候,他们可能表现得很糟糕,但男孩就是男孩。
“For though ofttimes, they may have acted pretty bad, “boys will be boys.
它们是我们心爱的宝贝。”
They were our fond treasure.”
好了,别这么生气。
Now, don’t take on so.
你只是在把自己弄得支离破碎。
You’re just wearing yourself to pieces.
哦,我还没有放弃希望,直到他们发现了那只筏子,上面有乔的小鞋子。
Oh, I hadn’t given up hope till they found the raft with Joe’s little shoes on it.
可怜的受虐待的孩子。
Poor, abused boy.
我敢打赌这是汤姆的错。
I bet it was Tom’s fault.
西德尼,你不许说我们亲爱的汤姆一句坏话……现在他走了。
Now, Sidney, don’t you say one word against our dear Tom… Now that he’s gone.
你最好快去睡觉。
You better run up to bed.
是的,波莉姨妈。
Yes, aunt Polly.
哈帕太太,我不知道没有汤姆我该怎么活下去。
Oh, Mrs. Harper, I don’t know how I can go on without my Tom.
我听到他说的最后一句话是责备我。
And the last words I ever heard him say were to reproach me.
我们的眼泪也不能让他们回来。
Well, all our tears won’t bring them back.
噢,波莉姨妈,你不觉得现在最好睡一会儿吗?
Oh, aunt Polly, don’t you think you’d better try and get a little sleep now?
我想我最好去。
I reckon I’d better.
我都累坏了。
I’m all tuckered out.
休息一下吧,亲爱的波莉小姐。
Get some rest, miss Polly dear.
晚安,各位。
Good night.
晚安,波莉姨妈。
Good night, aunt Polly.
晚安,各位。
Good night.
哦,上帝,在你无限的仁慈中,看顾我们无辜的孩子吧。
O, god, in thine infinite mercy, watch over our innocent boys.
按我应得的惩罚我,但不是用这种方式。
Punish me as I deserve, but not in this way.
我求你了。
I beg of thee.
请。求你了,让他们的尸体被找到这样我就能最后一次见到我亲爱的汤姆了。
Please. Oh, please, let their bodies be found so that I can look on my dear Tom’s face once more for the last time.
阿们。
Amen.
为什么,吉姆,你为什么不睡觉?
Why, Jim, why aren’t you asleep?
我不能,玛丽小姐。
I can’t, miss Mary.
我什么都做不了,只能想着周日的葬礼。
I can’t do nothin’ but think about the funeral Sunday.
现在,不要再想星期天的事了。
Now, stop thinking about Sunday.
出去睡觉吧,吉姆。
Go on out and go to sleep, Jim.
我试试看,玛丽小姐。
I’ll try, miss Mary.
汤姆,你在干什么
Tom, what are you-
你在这里做什么?
What you do here?
你知道他们在找你。
You know they lookin’ for you.
他们是我的朋友。
Why, them boys was my friends.
除了我,你没有朋友。
You ain’t got no friend but me.
你躲起来。
You stay hid.
亲爱的朋友们,我们聚集在这里,向在生命的清晨死去的3个优秀而美丽的年轻男孩致以庄严的敬意。
Dear friends, we are gathered here to pay solemn and loving tribute to the memory of 3 fine and beautiful young boys cut off in the fullness of life’s morn’.
约瑟夫·哈帕是一个多么服从和正直的榜样啊。
What a model of obedience and uprightness was Joseph Harper.
永远是他亲爱的母亲的支柱和安慰。
Always the prop and comfort of his dear mother.
总是以自己穿着整洁而自豪。
Always taking pride in being well-dressed and neat.
然而,让我们高兴,因为他现在穿着天上的衣服。
Yet, let us rejoice that he is now wearing celestial raiment.
还有托马斯·索耶。
And Thomas Sawyer.
我不会说他对人对兽的仁慈……
I shall not speak of his kindness to man and beast alike…
他也没有尽到家里的义务。
Nor of his diligence in performing his appointed duties about the home.
用圣路易斯一位编辑最近的话来说,“他的生活是温和的”,各种元素在他身上混合得如此之多,“以至于大自然可以站起来对全世界说,这是个男孩。”

Suffice it to say, in the recent words of a St. Louis editor, “his life was gentle, “and the elements so mixed in him “that nature might stand up and say to all the world, this was a boy.”
最后,但是,哦,我的朋友们,绝不是最不重要的人物,我们都爱上了——不幸的,但持久的大自然的孩子,被称为哈克贝利·费恩。
And last, but, oh, my friends, by no means least, the figure we all had come to love- the unfortunate, but enduring child of nature known as huckleberry Finn.
他是多么勇敢地克服了出身的种种不利因素。
How bravely he overcame the dismal handicaps of his parentage.
他是多么高贵,在恩典中成长,成为一个有用的成员。
How nobly he grew in grace and became a useful member.
但是现在,唉,三个盛开的年轻人都渡过了大河。
But now, alas, all 3 blossoming youths have crossed the great river.
他们踏上了阳光照耀的海岸。
They have stepped upon the sunlit shore.
即使是现在,他们也在游♥行♥。
Even now, they march.
他们进军——
They march into-
汤姆!汤姆!哦!
Tom! Tom! Oh!
哦,我的孩子!我的珍贵!
Oh, my boy! My precious!
乔!
Joe!
哦,乔!
Oh, Joe!
你这段时间都去哪儿了?
Where have you been all this time?
谁救了你?
Who saved you?
为什么,没有人。
Why, nobody.
我们只是在玩海盗游戏。
We was just playin’ pirates.
玩海盗? !
Playing pirates?!
让我们变成一堆傻瓜!
Makin’ a passel of fools out of us!
如果他们是我的,我会笑死他们。
If they were mine, I’d laugh their hide off.
让我们以为他们是淹死的!
Letting us think that they were drowned!
他们毫发无损地回到了我们身边。
They have returned to us unharmed.
让我们感恩。
Let us give thanks.
唱吧,用心去唱。
Sing and put your hearts in it.
玩“海盗。
Playin’ pirates.
等我送你回家。
Just wait till I get you home.
赞美上帝,所有的祝福都来自他,赞美他,所有的生灵……
Praise god from whom all blessings flow praise him all creatures here below…
我知道我不该逃跑让你以为我们淹死了,但我还是梦见了你。
I know I did wrong to run away and let you think we was drowned, but I dreamt about you anyway.
梦吗?猫也会这么做。
Dream? A cat does that much.
你梦到什么了?
What’d you dream?
为什么,嗯…为什么…星期四晚上,我梦见你,波莉姨妈,坐在沙发上,你坐在木箱上,玛丽在你旁边。
Why, uh… why… Thursday night, I dreamt that you, aunt Polly, were sitting on the sofa, and you were sitting on the wood box, and Mary next to you.
于是我们就这么做了。
So we did.
我们总是这样做。
So we always do.
乔·哈帕的母亲也在这里。
And Joe Harper’s mother was here.
为什么,她在这儿。
Why, she was here.
嗯。
Hmm.
你还做梦吗?
Did you dream any more?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!