初为人父并得到应得一切
deserves all he gets.
你怎么看?
Well?
给他钱
Pay him.
为什么?- 她签了这些支票 不是吗?
Why? – She signed these notes, didn’t she?
是的
Yes.
这个你付了5000块的乔 是什么人?
Who’s this Joe Brody you paid the $5,000 to?
我想不起来了 我的管家诺里斯 可能知道
I can’t recall. My butler, Norris, would know.
他自称是个赌徒
I think he called himself a gambler.
盖革说这些是赌债
Geiger says these are gambling debts.
可能是
They may be.
您认为呢?
Think they are?
不是
No.
你想让我把这个盖革带回来
I guess you want me to take this Geiger off your back,
对吗?- 没错
is that right? – Yes.
你想了解一些情况?还是想让他滚蛋
Want to know anything or just get rid of him?
我只想把他打发走
I just want to get rid of him.
可能会让你破费一点的
It may cost you a little.
谢谢您的白兰地
Thanks for the drink, General.
我同样感谢你的光临
I enjoyed your drink as much as you did, sir.
您就等我消息吧 – 祝你好运
You’ll hear from me. – Good luck.
马洛先生 卢莱德夫人想见见你
Mr. Marlowe, Mrs. Rutledge would like to see you before you leave, sir.
关于钱的问题
And about the money,
将军已经指示我
the General has instructed me
给你一张支票 金额随你
to give you a check for whatever you require.
他让你怎么做?
Instructed you how?
我明白了 先生 我忘了你是一名侦探
Oh, I see, sir. I forget that you’re a detective.
顺便说一句 他敲铃了 先生
By the way he rang his bell, sir.
你填了支票了?- 我有权填写
You write his checks? – I have that privilege.
真有你的 我现在还不需要钱
Good for you. I don’t need any money now,
但必要时 我一天收取25块
but when I do, I get $25 a day and expenses.
好的 先生
Yes, sir.
她怎么知道我来了?
How did Mrs. Rutledge know I was here?
她从窗户看到的
She saw you through the window, sir.
我不得不告诉她 你是什么人
And I was obliged to tell her who you were.
我都不知道自己是干什么的
I don’t know as I like that.
您想教我怎么工作么 先生?
Are you attempting to tell me my duties, sir?
不 只是开个玩笑 我想猜猜你的职责
No, just having fun trying to guess what they are.
这边请 先生
This way, sir.
进去后说你就是她要见的人 – 谢谢
Go right in and say you’re expected. – Thanks.
你想见我吗?
You wanted to see me?
听说你是私♥人♥侦♥探♥?
So you’re a private detective?
我只在书里听说过他们
I didn’t know they existed, except in books.
或者只是些在旅馆四处窥视的
Or else they were greasy little men
下流家伙
snooping around hotel corridors.
你真邋遢 不是吗?
My, you’re a mess, aren’t you?
而且我也不高
I’m not very tall either.
下次我会踩着高跷来
Next time I’ll come on stilts,
打着白色领结 背着网球拍
wear a white tie and carry a tennis racket.
我对效果表示怀疑
I doubt if even that would help.
这次我爸爸的问题 你认为你能摆平吗?
Now, this business of Dad’s, think you can handle it for him?
应该不是很难 – 真的?
It shouldn’t be too tough. – Really?
我本以为要花点力气呢
I would’ve thought a case like that took a little effort.
不用太多
Not too much.
你打算第一步怎么干?
What will your first step be?
跟惯例一样 – 还有惯例吗?
The usual one. – I didn’t know there was a usual one.
当然有
Sure there is.
还带完整的示意图
it comes complete with diagrams, on page 47 of
就在《如何在10堂课内成为侦探》
How to be a Detective in 10 Easy Lessons,
这课本的第47页上
correspondence school text-book.
还有 你♥爸♥爸请我喝了一杯
And your father offered me a drink.
你一定是看过如何成为喜剧演员的书
You must’ve read another one on how to be a comedian.
想听听我对酒的看法吗?
Hear what I said about the drink?
我是认真的 马洛先生 我父亲他
I’m quite serious, Mr. Marlowe. My father’s not a
我说你父亲 – 你自便吧!
I said your father – Help yourself.
你看到了 马洛先生 我爸爸的身体不太好
Now, look, Mr. Marlowe, my father’s not well
我希望你处理这件案子
and I want this case handled with
让他担心越少越好
the least possible worry to him.
这正是我想处理的方法
That’s just the way I was going to handle it.
我明白 没有专业机密?- 没有
I see. No professional secrets? – No.
我想你该喝一杯 – 我改变想法了
I thought you wanted a drink. – I changed my mind.
是什么
Then, what…
你喜欢我父亲吗?- 是的
How’d you like Dad? – I liked him.
他喜爱肖恩 肖恩·里根
He liked Shawn. Shawn Regan.
我想你知道他是谁 – 是的
I suppose you know who he is. – Uh-huh.
你没必要跟我耍花样 马洛先生
You don’t have to play poker with me, Mr. Marlowe.
爸爸没让你找他吗?- 你要找他么?
Dad wants to find him, doesn’t he? – Do you’?
当然 他就那么走掉是不对的
Of course I do. it wasn’t right for him to go off like that.
那伤透了父亲的心 尽管他没说什么
Broke Dad’s heart, although he won’t say much about it.
不是吗?- 你为什么不自己问他呢?
Or did he? – Why don’t you ask him?
我没看出来有什么值得吞吞吐吐的
You know, I don’t see what there is to be cagey about,
马洛先生
Mr. Marlowe.
我不喜欢你的言谈举止!
And I don’t like your manners!
我并不觊觎你什么 也不是我要来见你的
I’m not crazy about yours. I didn’t ask to see you.
我不介意你喜不喜欢我
I don’t mind if you don’t like my manners.
我也不喜欢自己的举止
I don’t like ’em myself.
我每晚都会斟酌的
They’re pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings,
我也不在乎你对我摆谱
and I don’t mind your ritzing me,
你尽可以在午饭时喝光一瓶酒
or drinking your lunch out of a bottle.
但请不要浪费时间来盘问我
But don’t waste your time trying to cross-examine me.
没有人像你那样对我说话!
People don’t talk to me like that!
你总以为自己能操纵别人
Do you always think you can handle people
就像被驯服的海豹一样?
like trained seals? – Uh-huh.
我也总是侥幸成功
I usually get away with it too.
恭喜你!
How nice for you.
你怕的到底是什么?
Just what is it you’re afraid of?
爸爸没有让你留意肖恩吗?
Dad didn’t want to see you about Shawn at all, did he?
没有吗?
Didn’t he?
如果爸爸让你找 你能找到吗?
Could you find him if Dad wanted you to?
也许吧 他什么时候走的?
Maybe. When did he go?
大约有一个月了
About a month back.
一天下午 他什么也没说 就开车出去了
Just drove off one afternoon without saying a word.
他们发现 他的车停在了一个私人车♥库♥里
They found his car parked in some private garage.
他们?他们是谁?
They? Who’s they?
爸爸没有告诉你?
Dad didn’t tell you, then.
他告诉我里根的事了
Yes, he told me about Regan,
但那不是他想让我调查的
but that’s not what he wants to see me about.
你就想对我说这些?
That’s what you’ve been trying to get me to say, isn’t it?
我确定我不关心你所说的 马洛先生
I’m sure I don’t care what you say, Mr. Marlowe.
我在浪费你的时间
I’m wasting your time.
再见了 卢莱德夫人
Goodbye, Mrs. Rutledge.
哦 诺里斯
Oh, Norris.
你犯了个错误 卢莱德夫人并不想见我
You made a mistake. Mrs. Rutledge didn’t want to see me.
抱歉 先生 我犯了很多错误
I’m sorry, sir. I make many mistakes.
有名的第一版书
找到了吗?- 是的 谢谢
Did you find what you wanted? – Yes, thanks.
你看上去不像是
You know, you don’t look like a man
对第一版书感兴趣的人
who’d be interested in first editions.
我也用瓶子收集美人
I collect blondes in bottles, too.
能帮您什么吗?- 是的
Can I be of any assistance? – Yes.
这儿有1860年版的《宾虚》么 – 什么?
Would you happen to have a Ben Hur 1860? – A what?
1860年版的《宾虚》?
I said would you happen to have a Ben Hur 1860?
第一版吗?
Oh! A first edition?
不 不是 是第三版!
No, no, no, the third, the third.
第116页排版错误的那本
The one with the erratum on page 116.
恐怕没有
I’m afraid not.
1840年整套的谢瓦利埃·奥特朋 怎么样?
How about a Chevalier Audubon 1840, full set, of course?
现在没有 – 你真的卖♥♥书吗?
Not at the moment. – You do sell books, hmm?
那么那些是什么?柚子吗?
What do those look like? Grapefruit?
很好 看上去像是书
Well, from here they look like books.
也许我最好还是见见盖革先生
Maybe I’d better see Mr. Geiger.
他现在不在

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!