瞎弄弄
Just fooling around.
你在为斯特伍德工作 是不是?
You’re also working for the Sternwoods, aren’t you?
多亏了你
Yeah, thanks to you.
做了什么吗?
Done anything for them yet?
我今天开始的 结果就下雨了
I just started this afternoon, then the rain came.
好的 他们好像是一个多事之家
All right. They seem to be a family that things happen to.
有一辆属于他们的大帕卡德车
There’s a big Packard belonging to one of them,
随着海浪漂到了利多码头
washing around in the surf off Lido Pier. – Hmm.
差点忘了说 里面还有个男人
And I almost forgot there’s a guy in it.
是里根吗?- 谁?
Couldn’t be Regan, could it? – Who?
肖恩·里根
Shawn Regan.
斯特伍德雇的那个
You mean that Irish ex-legger old Sternwood hired
替他喝酒的爱尔兰人?- 是啊
to do his drinking for him? – Yeah.
他怎么会在那儿呢?
What would he be doing down there?
那会是什么人呢?
What would anybody be doing down there?
这就是我要去利多要调查的
That’s what I’m going to Lido to find out.
想一块去吗?
You want to come along?
是的 我去
Yeah, I do.
天气怎么样了?- 晴了
How’s the weather? – Clearing up.
电♥话♥是几点打来的?- 大约15分钟以前
What time did that call come in? – About 15 minutes ago.
你说是什么车?- 帕卡德
What kind of a car did you say that was? – Packard.
嗨 伯尼 – 嗨 爱德
Hello, Bernie. – Hi, Ed.
把他弄出来了 是谁?
I see you got him out. Who is he?
根据驾照上看 是欧文·泰勒
His name’s Owen Taylor. General Sternwood’s chauffeur,
斯特伍德的司机
according to his driver’s license.
怎么回事?- 你从这儿能看见的
What’s the story? – You can see most of it from here.
那儿就是他冲过栏杆的地方
There’s where he went through the railing.
一定撞的不轻
Must’ve hit it pretty hard.
这儿的雨是晚上9点停的
The rain stopped down here about 9:00 p.m.
被撞破的栏杆里面是干的
The broken ends of the rails are dry inside.
事故可能发生在9:30
That would put it about 9:30.
好了 放下
All right, put her down.
分♥析♥一下 医生
All right, Doc, let’s have it.
他的脖子断了
His neck was broken
有东西打穿了他的太阳穴
and something hit him hard across the left temple.
是什么东西?方向盘
What made the bruise? Steering wheel?
无论是什么 都看不出来了
Whatever it was, it was covered.
他活着的时候
Because the wound had already bled
皮肤下的伤口还在流血
while he was still alive.
棒子打的?- 可能是的
Blackjack? – Could be.
伯尼 很有趣啊
Hey, Bernie, funny thing.
已排除掐死的可能
The hand throttle on the car is set halfway down.
谢谢 吉姆 再见 医生
Thanks, Jim. So long, Doc.
好了 伙计们 把他抬走 – 是
All right, boys. Take him away. – Yes, sir.
他可能是喝多了或是自杀 – 也可能不是
Could be drunk or a suicide. – Yeah, but it isn’t.
你知道泰勒的什么事吗?
You know anything about this Owen Taylor?
就是斯特伍德的几个司机
Only that two or three of the Sternwood chauffeurs
因为将军的小女儿卡门而丢了工作
lost theirjobs on account of the younger daughter, Carmen.
告诉我你在干什么活 菲尔
You better tell me what you’re working on, Phil.
他们说是敲诈勒索
They told me blackmail.
他们针对的是谁?卡门?- 是的
Who were they after? Carmen? – Yeah.
看上去不像你的工作方式
This doesn’t look like the way you’d handle it.
我有一个想法
You know, I got a feeling that…
我?我已经不干了
Me? I didn’t do this.
那你刚才想说什么 菲尔?
What were you going to say, Phil?
给我一天时间 伯尼 我会有线索给你的
Give me another day, Bernie. I may have something for you.
好的 我们回去吧
Okay. Let’s go home.
早上好 – 你终于起床了
Good morning. – So you do get up.
我还以为
I was beginning to think perhaps
你像迈克尔·普鲁斯特一样在床上工作呢
you worked in bed like Marcel Proust.
他是谁?- 一位法国作家
Who’s he? – You wouldn’t know him. A French writer.
来我的办公室
Come into my boudoir.
你的门面可不怎么样
You don’t put on much of a front, do you?
老实人在这行赚不到多少钱
There isn’t much money in this business if you’re honest.
你老实吗?- 我们接着说那件事?
Are you honest? – Are we gonna start that again?
我很抱歉 昨天 我大概失礼了
I’m sorry. Also about yesterday. Perhaps I was rude.
我们都是
We were both rude.
你想来我这儿问问泰勒的事吗?
You want to see me about Taylor?
你知道些什么吗?可怜的欧文
So you know about that? Poor Owen.
昨晚检察厅的人带我去了利多
The DA’s man took me down to Lido last night.
他知道的比我多多了
Turned out he knew more about it than I did.
比如
For instance,
他知道欧文想娶你的妹妹
he knew that Owen Taylor wanted to marry your sister once.
也许未尝不是一个好主意
Perhaps it wouldn’t have been such a bad idea.
他是很爱她
You see, he was in love with her.
但我来这儿 不是为了欧文的事
But I didn’t come here about Owen. I…
你还没有告诉我
Do you still feel you can’t tell me
我父亲想让你干什么?
what my father wants you to do?
没他的允许 我不会说的
Not without his permission.
你甚至不能告诉我是否与卡门有关
You can’t even tell me if it was about Carmen?
不行
No.
你最好看看这个 邮差今天送来的
You better look at this. A messenger brought it this morning.
8点35分 – 没错
8:35. – That’s right.
她带来了一张好看的照片
She takes a nice picture.
如要底片和照片 他们开价5000块
They want $5,000 for the negative and the rest of the prints.
要求是怎么提出来的?
The demand came how?
照片送来后不久
A woman telephoned me shortly after this thing was delivered.
一个女人打的电♥话♥
A woman telephoned me shortly after this thing was delivered.
还有别的什么吗?
What else was there?
非得有别的吗?
Does there have to be something else?
这件事不值5000块
Well, this thing isn’t worth $5,000 to anybody.
他们是这么想的 – 为什么?
Well, they think it is. – Why?
她说如果今天收不到钱
The woman said if they didn’t get the money today,
就只能隔着铁丝网跟我妹妹说话了
I’d be talking to my sister through a wire screen.
她说有一件案子跟这张照片有关
She said there was a police jam connected with it.
哪类的案子?
What kind of a jam?
我不知道
I don’t know.
你知道照片是在哪儿拍的吗?
You know where this picture was taken?
一无所知
I haven’t the slightest idea.
什么时候呢?- 不知道
Or when? – No.
跟卡门说了吗?- 我走时她还睡着
Talked to Carmen about it? – She was asleep when I left.
故事编好了么?
Figure out a story?
诺里斯编的 – 怎么编的?
Norris fixed that. – How?
她整晚都在家
She was in all evening.
警♥察♥来调查欧文的事时询问了
Police already checked that when they called about Owen.
继续编
Go ahead and scratch.
昨晚欧文用你的车干什么?
What was Owen doing with your car last night?
没人知道 没经任何人允许他就开走了
Nobody knows. He took it without permission.
为什么?你认为
Why? Do you think that…
他知道这张照片吗?我还没把他排除
That he knew about this picture? I don’t rule him out.
除了那个女人说的
Then outside of what the woman said,
你不知道他们为什么要5000块?
you don’t know any reason why they want $5,000 for it?
这就是我来找你的原因
That’s why I came to you.
手套有五个手指
There’s usually five fingers on any glove.
你为什么不去警♥察♥局?
Why didn’t you go to the police?
因为我 – 因为你怕
Because I thought -‘Cause you were afraid
你怕他们会发现我没有搞定的破绽
they might turn up something that I couldn’t sit on.
那么斯特伍德会在哪儿呢?
Then where would the Sternwoods be? Isn’t that right?
我可以用你的电♥话♥吗 马洛先生?
May I use your phone, Mr. Marlowe?
请接警♥察♥总局
Hello. Police headquarters, please.
喂 我是
Hello, this is Mrs…
喂 您有什么事?
Hello. What do you want, please?
我要件东西
I don’t want a thing.
什么?我给你打电♥话♥了?
What? I called you? – You called me.
你是哪位?
Say, who is this?
雷利警官
Sergeant Reilly at headquarters.
雷利警官?这儿没有什么雷利警官
Sergeant Reilly? Well, there isn’t any Sergeant Reilly here.
我知道 听我说兄弟
I know that, but look, brother
等一等 你最好跟我母亲说
Now, wait a minute, you better talk to my mother.
我不想和你母亲说话
I don’t wanna talk to your mother.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!