He’s not in just now.
太可惜了 因为
That’s a pity because…
我说了 盖革先生不在里面!
I said Mr. Geiger is not in!
我听到了 你没必要对我吼
I heard you. You needn’t yell at me.
我的关于阿根廷制陶的讲座迟到了
I’m already late for my lecture on Argentine cera-micks,
我不能等了
so I guess I won’t wait.
那个词应该读”ceramics”
The word is “ceramics.”
而且也不是阿根廷的 是埃及的
And they ain’t Argentine, they’re Egyptian.
你的确像是个买♥♥书的
You did sell a book once, didn’t you?
我会去图书馆查的
Well, I guess I’ll run along to the public library.
或者到街对面的书店
Or I could go to that bookstore across the street, couldn’t I?
随你便 – 谢谢
Do so. – Thank you.
能为您效劳吗?
ls there something I can do for you?
愿意帮我个小忙吗?
Would you do me a very small favor?
要看是帮什么忙了
I don’t know. It depends on the favor.
你知道街对面的盖革书店吗?
You know Geiger’s bookstore across the street?
我想我知道一点
I think I may have passed it.
你见过盖革吗?
You know Geiger by sight?
哦 我 – 他长什么样?
Well, I… – What’s he look like?
你到对面去见他
Wouldn’t it be easy enough to go across the street
不是更容易?
and ask to see him?
我去过了
I’ve already done that.
你这儿有那些稀有的书吗?
Know anything about rare books?
你可以试试
You could try me.
你有1860年的《宾虚》么?第三版的
Would you happen to have a Ben Hur1860, third edition
在第116页有重行的
with a duplicated line on page 116?
或者是1840年的谢瓦利埃·奥特朋呢?
Or a Chevalier Audubon, 1840′?
没人有的 谁也没有
Nobody would. There isn’t one.
盖革书店的那个女孩就不知道这些
The girl in Geiger’s bookstore didn’t know that.

Oh, I…
我明白了
I see.
我开始觉得你有点意思了
You begin to interest me, vaguely.
我是一名私♥人♥侦♥探♥
Yeah, I’m a private dick on a case.
也许我问的是太多了
Perhaps I’m asking too much,
虽然对我来说 还不够多
although it doesn’t seem too much to me somehow.
盖革四十出头
Well, Geiger’s in his early 40s,
中等身材 稍胖
medium height, fattish,
留着陈查理式的胡子
soft all over, Charlie Chan mustache,
小说虚构的华人探长角色
穿着讲究 戴着黑色帽子
well-dressed, wears a black hat,
装扮得像个老派的知识分子
affects a knowledge of antiques and hasn’t any, and…
我想他的左眼是玻璃的
Oh, yes, I think his left eye is glass.
你应该去当警♥察♥
You’d make a good cop.
谢谢
Thanks.
你会等他出来吗?- 是啊
Gonna wait for him to come out? – Yeah.
他们一时还不会关门
They don’t close for another hour or so.
雨下的真大
And it’s raining pretty hard.
我开车来的
I got my car…
这很明智 对吧?
Yeah, that’s right. it is, isn’t it?
正好
You know, it just happens
我口袋里有瓶上好的黑麦威士忌
I got a bottle of pretty good rye in my pocket.
我被大雨留在这儿了
I’d a lot rather get wet in here.
好吧!
Well.
看上去就像我们关门午休一样
Looks like we’re closed for the rest of the afternoon.
再多告诉我一些
Tell me more about this business.
没什么可说的了
There isn’t much to tell.
怎么了?
What’s the matter?
我只是想知道 你是否非得戴着它
I’m just wondering if you have to…
不是的
Not necessarily.
那样的小事
Little things like that make an…
你好啊 – 你好
Hello. – Hello.
我真不想告诉你 但盖革的车来了
I hate to tell you, but that’s Geiger’s car driving up.
出来的那个人是谁?
Who’s the man getting out?
盖革的跟班 他叫卡尔·伦恩
Geiger’s shadow. His name’s Carol Lundgren.
谢谢
Well, thanks.
如果你什么时候想买♥♥书的话 – 1860年的《宾虚》?
If you ever want to buy a book… – A Ben Hur 1860?
印重了行的
With duplications.
再见
Solong.
再见
Solong,paL
你真可爱
You’re cute.
你喝的太多了 快清醒清醒
And you’re higher than a kite. Come on, wake up.
我认识你 大个拉斯·雷利
I know you. Doghouse Reilly.
你真可爱 – 你知道这是怎么回事吗?
You’re cute. – What do you know about this?
什么 – 盖革先生 地板上的
What? – Mr. Geiger, here on the floor.
他也很可爱
He’s cute, too.
有个死人在你脚下 到底是怎么回事?
Look, you got a dead man lying right at your feet.
发生了什么事?- 你说的太多了 雷利
How did it happen? – You talk a lot, Reilly.
来吧!
Come on!
躺在那儿休息休息
Lie down there and be quiet.
好的 雷利
All right, Reilly.
来 我们走
Come on, we’re going.
晚上好 先生 – 晚上好 诺里斯
Good evening, sir. – Evening, Norris.
我想见见将军 – 他已经睡下了
I’d like to see General Sternwood. – He’s asleep, sir.
那卢莱德夫人呢?- 她在
Well, what about Mrs. Rutledge, is she? – Yes…
晚上好 卢莱德夫人 – 你好
Good evening, Mrs. Rutledge. – Hello.
我把你妹妹带回来了 就在外面
I’ve got your sister outside.
她没事 但是她可能走不了路了
She’s all right, but she’s not walking very well.
我需要帮忙
I’ll need some help.
你确定她…
Are you sure that she’s
是的 她到了早上就会没事了
Yeah, she’ll be all right in the morning.
是你干的?- 我?
Did you do this? – That?
是的 只是一个小小的特殊服务
Yes, that’s a little special service
我对所有客户都会提供的
I always provide all my clients.
也包括傲慢无礼
Including being insolent.
你在那儿找到她的?- 我没有找她
Where did you find her? – I didn’t find her.
那怎么?- 我没有来过这儿 你也没见过我
Well, then how – I haven’t been here. You haven’t seen me
她也整晚没有出去过
and she hasn’t been out of this house all evening.
那个坏蛋?- 是的
That bad? – Mmm-hmm.
发生了什么事?马洛先生
Just what did happen, Mr. Marlowe?
你喜欢你的妹妹吗?
You’re pretty fond of your sister, aren’t you?
是的 – 你愿意为她做任何事吗?
Yes, I am. – You’d do anything for her, wouldn’t you?
是的 – 那就别再提起今天的事了
Anything. – Then drop this whole thing.
我还是认为我应该知道
But I still think I should know what…
甚至连她也别去问
Uh-uh. Don’t even ask her.
无论如何 她永远不会记得的
She never remembers, anyway.
关于肖恩·里根 她忘了什么?
Just what did she forget about Shawn Regan?
她跟你说什么了?
What did she tell you?
不像你只说一半
Not half as much as you just did.
别紧张
Take it easy.
这么美好的夜晚 我不会动粗的
I don’t slap so good around this time of the evening.
你太过分了 马洛
You go too far, Marlowe.
那些话太伤男人的心了
Ooh. Those are harsh words to throw at a man.
还是在他正走出你卧室的时候
Especially when he’s walking out of your bedroom.
晚安 卢莱德夫人
Good night, Mrs. Rutledge.
谢谢 诺里斯
Thanks, Norris.
我把她的车停好了 – 太好了
I’ve put her car away, sir. – That’s fine.
如果有人问起 就说她整晚都在家
If anybody asks, she’s been in all evening,
忘了我来过这儿
and forget about my being here.
我明白 要叫出租车吗?
I understand, sir. May I call a cab for you, sir?
不用了 最好别叫 我没问题
No, it’d be better if you didn’t. I’ll be all right.
晚安 – 晚安
Good night, sir. – Good night.
咳 伯尼 请进 – 咳 菲尔
Hello, Bernie. Come on in. – Hello, Phil.
你还没睡觉吗?
Don’t you ever go to bed?
你在做什么?
What you been doing?
无所事事
Just sitting around.
整个晚上?- 是啊
All evening? – Yeah.
有什么事?- 非得有事不可吗?
What is it? – Does it have to be something?
我把你当朋友
You’re a friend of mine,
但是一个从凶案现场来的人
but when a man from the Homicide Squad just drops
在凌晨2点拜访我
in at 2:00 in the morning,
我有点 – 你在破解密♥码♥?
I kind of – Working on a cipher, huh?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!