黑暗无法驱走黑暗
只有光明才能做到
马丁·路德·金
1926年
佐治亚州 梅肯区
除了棉花之外 我一无所知
The only thing I ever knew was cotton.
艰苦劳作的日子
It was hard work.
花蕾裂开 花荚变成星型的时候
Now, you know cotton is ready when the bud splits,
棉花就成熟了
and the boll is star-shaped,
就像天空中的大星星
like a big ol’ star in the sky.
也像你的大脑袋
Or like your big ol’ head.
等等 那是棉花吗
Hold on, is that some cotton?
是棉花吗
Is that cotton?
但我并不在乎
But I didn’t mind,
因为可以每天和爸爸一起工作
’cause I got to spend all day working with my daddy.
-快 拍张照 -给你们一起拍一张
– Hurry, take this picture. – Take a picture of y’all.
你们为什么都不笑
Why don’t everybody smile?
茄子
Teeth.
海蒂 跟我走 到屋里帮我个忙
Hattie, come on, I need your help in the shed.
快走啊
Come on.
-爸爸 他带妈妈去哪 -干活去
– Pa… where’s he taking Ma? – Get back to work.
塞西尔 回来 儿子
Cecil, come back here, boy.
妈妈
Mama!
过来
Come here.
听我说 儿子
Look at me, boy.
千万不能冲那人发火
Don’t you lose your temper with that man.
这是他的世界 我们只是寄居其中
This his world. We just living in it.
听见没有
You hear me?
好了 干活去
Now, get on back to work.
爸 你要干嘛
Pa, what you gonna do?
爸爸
Dad!
我的上帝
Oh, my Lord.
看什么看
Who you looking at?!
谁想当下一个 赶紧干活
Who wants to go next?! You get back to work.
你们帮帮忙 挖个坑把他爸爸埋了
Hey, you. Get some of the hands to help dig a hole for his pa.
快点
Hurry up!
别哭了
Stop crying.
我要带你到屋里去
I’m gonna have you in the house now.
我来教你做个黑家奴
I’m gonna teach you how to be a house nigger.
根据真实故事改编
-他快到了 -是的 夫人
– He’s coming. – Yes ma’am.
上菜时不能有声音
And quiet when you’re serving.
最好连呼吸声都不要让我听见
I don’t even want to hear you breathe.
是的 夫人
Yes, ma’am.
你在屋里时要安静得像空气一样
The room should feel empty when you’re in it.
在屋里干活比在地里好得多
It was much nicer working in the house than in the field.
傻黑鬼 从左边开始
Crazy nigger, from the left.
再给我来点
Give me more.
我渐渐长大
When I got older,
意识到我得在他把我也杀掉之前离开
I knew I had to go before he killed me, too.
我的一部分害怕离开
Part of me was scared to leave.
毕竟这是我认知内的整个世界
It was the only world I ever knew.
妈 我带了爸爸的怀表
Ma, I took Pa’s watch.
妈妈
Ma?
妈 我要走了
Ma, I’m leaving.
那次之后 我妈妈几乎不再说话
My mama never spoke much after that.
我知道她会想我的
I knew she’d miss me,
但我也知道 她希望我离开这个地方
but I also knew she wanted me to leave that place.
虽然安娜贝丝夫人从没说过
And even though Ms Annabeth never said it,
我知道她也会想我的
I knew she’d miss me, too.
我想上帝并不是故意让人流离失所
I don’t think God meant for people to not have a family.
棉花田外面的世界比我想象的还要糟糕
Outside the cotton fields was even worse than I thought it would be.
没人给我工作 没人给我食物
No one would give me a job nor food
没人给我栖身之地
nor a place to sleep.
白人可以随时随意杀掉我们
Any white man could kill any of us at any time
而不用接受惩罚
and not be punished for it.
法律非但不保护我们
The law wasn’t on our side.
反要置我们于死地
The law was against us.
我一直饥肠辘辘
I was hungry all the time.
你知不知道你这样会有什么后果
You know what can happen to you, son?
起来
Get up.
我说 起来
I said, get up.
为了那扇窗户 我要跟老板撒谎
I’m gonna have to lie to the boss man about that window.
上帝说我们不该撒谎
The good Lord say we ain’t supposed to lie.
抱歉 先生
Sorry, sir.
你的父母呢
Where’s your ma and your pa?
我妈疯了 我爸被人杀了
My ma crazy in the head, and my pa got killed.
我给你做点火腿三明治
I’ll make you some ham sandwiches
然后送你上路
and send you on your way.
老板马上就来了
The boss will be here in a minute.
周日早晨是最忙的
Sunday’s our busiest morning.
你需要帮手吗 我会服务
You looking for some help? I know how to serve.
你砸了我的玻璃 偷了我的食品
You done broke our window, you done stole our food,
现在还要求工作?
and now you asking for a job?
我在梅肯是个黑家奴 做的还不赖
Back in Macon, I’m a house nigger, a good one.
以后不准用那个词 小子
Don’t you ever use that word, son.
那是白人用的词
That’s the white man’s word.
词里满是仇恨
It’s filled with hate.
你♥爸♥爸没教过你吗
Didn’t your father ever teach you any better?
-慢点 -是 先生
– Slow down. – Yes, sir.
你要学会看他们的眼神
You got to look through their eyes.
洞察他们的需求
See what it is they want.
-会了吗 -轻轻擦
– Got it? – Strokes.
-我会了 -你来吧
– Yeah, I got it. – Here.
洞察他们的需要
See what it is they need.
这边请
Right this way.
学会推测
Anticipate.
抱歉 抱歉 夫人
I’m sorry. I’m sorry, ma’am.
让你的客人眼中
Bring a smile to the eyes
流露笑意
of your principal.
很好 很好
Perfect. Perfect.
别忘了给我留点肥肠
Don’t forget to save me them chitlins.
你怎么那么喜欢肥肠
Why you like chitlins so much?
因为好吃
‘Cause they’re good eating.
华盛顿艾克沙修的经理昨天来访
The manager of Excelsior, in DC, he came by yesterday.
他让我去当管家
He offered me a job as a butler.
他肯定给你开了个好价吧 老板
He must be paying you top dollar, huh, boss?
是啊
Yeah.
我考虑过要去 我也不知道
I was thinking about taking it, but I don’t know.
我老了 不想离开北卡萝来纳
I’m too old to be leaving North Carolina.
我在这儿就挺好
I’m just fine right here.
我让他雇用你
I told him to hire you.
我刚刚在这里摸清点头绪
I’m just now finding my way around this hotel.
伺候那些白人自大狂还不行
Ain’t ready for all them highfalutin white people,
说话拿腔捏调的
all their fancy words.
塞西尔 我们有两副面孔
Cecil, we’ve got two faces.
本来的面孔
Ours,
和摆给白人看的面孔
and the ones that we got to show the white folks.
要在这个世道上混明白
Now, to get up in the world,
你得让他们觉得你是无害的
you have to make them feel nonthreatened.
试着像我教你那样拿出腔调说话
Use that, the fancy words that I’ve taught you.
北方白人喜欢有点抱负的黑人
White folks up north, they like some uppity coloreds.
好了
Yeah.
我接了那份华盛顿的工作
I took that job up in Washington, DC.
1957年
华盛顿特区
艾克沙修酒店
那是我见过的最漂亮的酒店
It was the most beautiful hotel I’d ever seen.
二位从布法罗远道而来
I hope it wasn’t too presumptuous of me
我准备了一些烈酒
to have prepared a few spirits
希望这样做没有太冒昧
after your long journey here from Buffalo.
法♥院♥史上最好的决策
The best decision that court ever made
就是延缓了混乱局势的发展
was to slow this whole mess down.
黑鬼小子和白人女孩一起上学
Nigger boys in school with white girls.
谁听说过这样的事

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!