才能负担起每月庞大的开销
and struggle along on so many dollars a month.
信中说了什么
What was in the letter?
为什么战后我不能回去
The reason why after the war I hadn’t been able to return.
我让她等我 等我有所成就
I asked her to wait until I made something of myself,
但她却…
but she was…
我觉得已经和她永结连理了
See, I felt married to her.
就是这样
That was all.
一切都是为了她
It was all for her.
房♥子 派对
The house, the parties.
所有的一切
Everything.
一切尽在上帝眼里
God sees everything.
盖茨比先生 很抱歉
Mr. Gatsby, sir, excuse me.
芝加哥来电 先生
Chicago calling, sir.
现在不是时候
Not now.
待会我再打过去
Keep it open for a personal call.
再打过去 好的
A personal call? Of course.
抱歉 盖茨比先生 我准备今天清池子
Excuse me, sir. Mr. Gatsby, I’m gonna drain the pool today,
趁着叶子还没落
before the leaves start falling in.
今天不行
Not today.
今天不行 真漂亮
Not today, it’s so beautiful.
老伙计 我整个夏天都没下过泳池
You know, old sport, I haven’t used that pool once all summer.
我们去游个泳吧
Let’s take a swim.
把电♥话♥放到泳池边
Have the phone brought down to the pool.
我得走了 杰
I have to go, Jay.
我得去上班了
I have to work.
好吧
I understand.
我送你出去
I’ll walk you out.
我会打给你的
Well, I’ll call you up.
一言为定 老伙计 一言为定
Please do, old sport. Please do.
我想黛西也会打来的
I supposed that Daisy will call too.
我…我想也是
I… I suppose.
是啊
Yes.
再见
Well, goodbye.

Jay!
现在人们都腐朽至极
They’re a rotten crowd.
他们加起来也比不上你一个
You’re worth the whole damn bunch put together.
我很高兴我说了出来
I was always glad I said that.
因为我只称赞过他那么一次
It was the only compliment I ever paid him.
那天早晨
That morning,
华尔街仍旧欣欣向荣
Wall Street boomed its usual golden roar.
但我一点工作的心思也没有
But I wasn’t worth a decent stroke of work.
我在等盖茨比打来告诉我消息
I waited for Gatsby to call with news.
当他在等黛西电♥话♥时…
While he waited for Daisy…
盖茨比宅邸
Gatsby’s.
盖茨比先生很高兴你打过来
I know Mr. Gatsby will be very happy that you’ve called.
黛西
Daisy.
喂 喂
Hello! Hello!
喂 一切都还好吗
Hello! Is everything all right?
喂 喂
Hello! Hello!

Hello!
喂 一切都还好吗
Hello! Is everything all right?
我还记得那天余下的时间
I remember the rest of that day
充斥着络绎不绝的警♥察♥
as an endless drill of police
摄影师和小报记者
and photographers and tabloid reporters.
新闻头条简直是一场噩梦
The headlines were a nightmare.
贩卖♥♥私酒者怒杀情妇
他们把责任都推到盖茨比头上
They pinned everything on Gatsby.
与桃金娘的私情 肇事逃逸
The affair with Myrtle. The hit-and-run.
肇事逃逸
盖茨比畏罪自杀
所有的一切
Everything.
我又能说什么呢
And there was nothing I could say,
除了一切都是假的这个难言的事实以外
except the one unutterable fact that none of it was true.
亲爱的 爸爸正在照顾着
Darling, Daddy’s taking care of
他最爱的两个姑娘
his two favorite girls.
我们要去哪
Where are we going?
-去度假 -该走了
– We’re going on a holiday. – We should go.
只有你和我 还有爸爸
Just you me and Daddy.
布坎南宅邸
Buchanan residence.
我找布坎南夫人
May I speak to Mrs. Buchanan?
我是卡罗威先生 她的表弟
It’s Mr. Carraway, her cousin.
夫人她没空 卡罗威先生
Madame is not available, Monsieur Carraway.
要是碰到她 告诉她葬礼在明天
If you speak to her, tell her the funeral’s tomorrow.
很抱歉 先生 他们已经走了
I’m sorry, monsieur, they have gone away.
走了
Gone away?
你知道他们什么时候回来吗
Do you know when they’ll be back?
不知道
No.
他们已经离开了
They have already departed.
求你了 她肯定想出席的 她…
Please. I know that she would want to be there. She would…
只要你告诉她就可以了
If you would just get a message to her.
-让我跟她说 求你了 -你想找她
– Let me talk to her, please. – You wish to contact her?
我也不知道她去了哪 先生
I have no further information, monsieur.
求你了
Please!
再见
Au revoir.

Hello?
走吧
Come on.
他们都是冷漠的人 汤姆跟黛西
They were careless people, Tom and Daisy.
他们出来闹个天翻地覆
They smashed up things and people
再退到他们的钱
and then retreated back into their money
和冷漠筑成的围城
and their vast carelessness.
快滚出去
Hey! Get out of here!
出去
Go on!
快给我滚出去
Get the hell out of here!
我打电♥话♥
I rang,
写信
I wrote,
苦苦哀求
I implored.
但受过他款待的人
But not a single one of the sparkling hundreds
没一个来参加他的葬礼
that enjoyed his hospitality attended the funeral.
至于黛西
And from Daisy,
连朵花都没送
not even a flower.
我就是他的所有
I was all he had.
唯一还关心他的人
The only one who cared.
盖茨比死后
After Gatsby’s death,
纽约一直萦绕着我
New York was haunted for me.
这座城市
That city,
我曾憧憬着熠熠生辉的海市蜃楼
my once golden shimmering mirage,
如今竟让我感到恶心
now made me sick.
在纽约的最后一晚
On my last night in New York,
我再次回到那座庞大杂乱的房♥子
I returned to that huge incoherent house once more.
沃尔夫山姆的伙伴已把这清空
Wolfshiem’s associates had cleaned it out.
他办那么多的派对只为她一晚的出现
He threw all those parties hoping she’d wander in one night.
这就像个游乐园
It’s like an amusement park.
但你一个人怎么住呢
But how do you live here all alone?
她让一切都熠熠生辉
She makes it look so splendid.
不是吗 老伙计
Don’t you think, old sport?
音乐 这样我们就可以彻夜狂舞了
Music! And then we can dance all night!
你会来吗 老伙计
Will you come, old sport?
我们需要你
We need you.
真希望一直这样
I wish it could always be like this.
会的
It will be.
我还记得我们是如何齐聚在盖茨比家
I remembered how we had all come to Gatsby’s
猜测他如何腐♥败♥
and guessed at his corruption.
而他就站在我们面前
While he stood before us,
心中纯洁无比
concealing an incorruptible dream.
很完美 出自你完美的 不可抗拒的想象力
It’s perfect. From your perfect, irresistible imagination.
月亮渐渐升起
The moon rose higher.
当我站在那
And as I stood there,
怀缅这个古老而又未知的世界时
brooding on the old, unknown world,
我想到了盖茨比
I thought of Gatsby’s wonder,
第一次在黛西家的码头尽头
when he first picked out the green light
看到绿光时的惊喜
at the end of Daisy’s dock.
他历尽漫长的艰辛

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!