with Michael’s cap in his hand.
麦克很快需要一个好律师了
Michael is going to need a good lawyer.
好吧 这是我自己的错…
Well, it’s my own fault…
但是是我自找的 我真是个蠢材
but that’s how I got into it, big boob that I am.
我开始问自己 我是不是疯了
I began to ask myself if I wasn’t out of my head entirely.
错误的人被捉 错误的人被杀
The wrong man was arrested. The wrong man was shot.
格瑞斯比死了 布鲁姆也死了
Grisby was dead and so was Broome.
那班尼斯特是怎么回事?
And what about Bannister?
他将在审讯中为我辩护
He was going to defend me in a trial for my life.
我将被指控谋杀两个人 而我并没有
And me, charged with a couple of murders I did not commit.
如果不是我那么就是这个世界疯了
Either me, or the rest of the whole world is absolutely insane.
我的助手 西利先生
You know my associate, Mr. Seeley.
– 你好 – 他会带你去监禁处
– Hello! – He’s arranged for your pass into the jail.
就在这栋大厦
It’s in the building.
– 需要他带你去吗? – 我自己去
– Should he take you? – I’d rather go by myself.
好吧 西利 在办公室等我
All right, Seeley. I’ll join you in the office.
好的 班尼斯特先生 失陪 班尼斯特夫人
Okay, Mr. Bannister. Excuse me, Mrs. Bannister.
你想和麦克单独见面
You want to be alone with Michael?
– 是你的主意 – 早上好 班尼斯特
– It was your idea. – Morning, Bannister.
早上好 法官 你的孩子还在住院吗?
Morning, Judge. Is your boy still in the hospital?
– 星期二就出院了 – 好极了 法官
– Been home since Tuesday. – Well, that’s fine, Judge.
– 那不是你的主意? – 什么 亲爱的?
– Wasn’t it your idea? – Yes, Lover?
你说什么
Oh, I beg your pardon.
不是你的主意吗?
Wasn’t it your idea?
你不是想把麦克从毒气室里救出来吗?
Isn’t it your idea to save Michael from the gas chamber?
只有你能救他
Arthur Bannister’s the only one who can do it.
你想要我怎么做?嗨 盖洛韦
What do you think? Hello, Galloway!
嗨 班尼斯特 骗局做好了吗?
Hi, Bannister, how’s tricks?
– 这是我们的地区检察官 亲爱的 – 你好
– You know our district attorney, dear. – How do you do?
班尼斯特夫人 法斯本德…
Hello, Mrs. Bannister.
我是被害人的合伙人
I was the murdered man’s partner.
另一个是我的仆人
The other victim was my servant.
如果我为麦克辩护
If I defend Michael,
那么陪审团会 认为我有理由相信他是无辜的
any jury will figure I have reason to believe he’s innocent.
你有理由相信麦克是无辜的?
And you have reason to believe that Michael is innocent?
我听说…我听说盖洛韦会说…
I hear that Galloway is going to say
麦克是用我们的快艇把乔治的
that Michael took George’s corpse…
尸体带进城的
into the city in our speedboat.
但是我们能证明…
But he didn’t. We can prove…
证明什么?乔治并不是被他带进城的?
Prove? George couldn’t have taken it.
– 为什么不行? – 那他是怎么回来的?
– Why not? – How could it get back?
– 回哪儿? – 当然是游艇
– Back where? – To the yacht, naturally.
游艇不可能自己开走
The speedboat couldn’t have driven itself.
也许是乔治的鬼魂
Or maybe it was George’s ghost.
也许是船自己飘回来的
Maybe the boat just drifted back.
亲爱的…
No, Lover.
麦克必须要申辩他的杀人情有可原
Michael has got to plead excusable homicide.
但是你可以证明那不是他的枪
But you can prove he didn’t do it with his gun.
他们知道杀死乔治的枪 不是麦克的
They know it wasn’t Michael’s gun that killed George.
杀死乔治的枪找不到了 亲爱的
The gun that did kill George can’t be found, Lover,
因此我们无法证明
so we can’t prove…
麦克没有枪杀他
that Michael didn’t shoot him.
而且杀死布鲁姆的是麦克的枪
And it was Michael’s gun that killed Broome.
现在…
Now…
麦克需要当今最好的律师…
Michael is going to need everything that the greatest…
去为他做辩护
living trial lawyer can do for him.
那位优秀的检察官
Our good district attorney over there
把案子办的很漂亮
has worked up a beautiful case.
卡车司机 酒店主人 他们都是有力的证据
The truck driver, the fat saloon keeper down at the docks…
他知道怎么去利用他们
they’ll be effective witnesses. He’ll know how to handle them.
而且还有这份疯狂的招认书
And then there’s this crazy confession.
但是麦克可以解释这些
But Michael has an explanation.
解释?
Explanation?
– 你认为很好笑 – 好笑?
– You think it’s funny? – Funny?
你是指那个乔治
You mean that story about how George
雇用麦克来杀乔治的故事?
hired Michael to kill George?
假装杀他
To pretend to kill him.
真的?
Really?
为什么乔治想消失?
Why would George want to disappear?
麦克提到了保险单
Michael said something about partnership insurance.
– 什么? – 保险单
– What? – Partnership insurance.
– 乔治想得到保险? – 没错
– Which he, George wanted to collect? – Yes.
– 乔治想让别人认为他死了? – 没错
– And He, George wanted everybody to think he was dead? – Yes
死了他就可以得到赔偿?
Dead, so that he could collect the insurance?
没错
Yes.
如果他死了 他怎么得到赔偿?
Well, if he was dead, how could he collect?
亲爱的…
Now, Lover…
如果你的爱尔兰人不想死
if your Irishman doesn’t want to go to the gas chamber…
那么他得相信我
he’s going to have to trust me.
但你…你相信他吗?
But you, do you trust him?
我不相信他 他勾引我妻子
I wouldn’t trust him with my wife.
你想置他于死地 是吗?
You want to make sure he doesn’t get off, don’t you?
我从来没输过官司 记得吗?
I’ve never lost a case, remember?
而且…
Besides…
我妻子认为他是无辜的
my wife might think he was a martyr.
我会为他辩护
I’ve got to defend him.
我没别的选择
I haven’t any choice.
你也是
And neither have you.
[访客请勿乱丢烟头 请勿乱涂乱画]
[违者失去特权——治安官敬上]
你好
Hello
情况对我很不利 你的丈夫是这么说的对吧?
It looks bad for me. Isn’t that what your husband says?
不管怎么样 亚瑟都是一个优秀的律师
Whatever else he is, Arthur’s a marvellous lawyer.
你应该相信他
You’ve got to trust him, Michael.
– 为什么?为什么我要相信他? – 因为
– Why? Why should I trust him? – Because…
因为这是你唯一的机会
it’s your only chance.
因为我希望你相信他
Because I want you to.
那是我相信他的唯一理由
That’ll have to do for a reason.
麦克…
Michael…
– 为什么你要杀布鲁姆? – 什么?
– Why did you kill Broome? – What?
别害怕告诉我 我只是想知道而已
Don’t be afraid to tell me. I just want to know.
格瑞斯比杀了 布鲁姆
It was Grisby who killed Broome.
他要去杀你的丈夫
He was going to murder your husband.
– 乔治要杀亚瑟? – 你知道的
– George kill Arthur? – You know that.
他能得到什么好处?
What could he possibly gain from it?
– 为了一件事 他没法离婚 – 你说什么?
– Only for one thing. He couldn’t get a divorce. – What?
如果人们认为他死了
He wanted people to think he was dead
他就能离开他的妻子了
so he could get away from his wife.
– 妻子?但那是不可能的 – 为什么?
– Wife? But that’s impossible. – Why?
乔治没有妻子
George didn’t have a wife.
他没结婚
He wasn’t married.
正因如此 你可以在这个月相当肯定
And because of that, you can be fairly certain of the month.
班尼斯特夫人 我为你 留了个座位
Mrs. Bannister, I saved a seat for you.
先生们能移一下吗?
Would you gentlemen please move over?
– 谢谢 – 坐下
– Thank you. – Sit down!
我只是想看看她
I just want to look at her.
– 我反对 – 坐下
– I object! – Sit down!
这个问题诱导了警官的想法
The question calls for the operation of the officer’s mind.
反对有效
Sustained.
好吧 为了节省时间 我们继续
Very well. In the interest of saving time, we’ll proceed…
我想彼得斯警官 肯定很想回家…
as I’m sure Officer Peters is most anxious to go home…
去见他的妻子和家人
to his wife and family
当然得在履行完他的义务之后
before returning to duty.
彼得斯警官
Now then, Officer Peters,
衣服上只有血 并没有湿?
except for the blood, the clothes were dry.
– 是的 – 衣服没湿…
– Yes, sir. – They were dry.
然而被告却说
The defendant stated in his confession
他把尸体扔到海湾里了
he threw the body into the bay.
法官先生 这位检察官并没在取证
Your Honour, the district attorney isn’t cross-examining.
– 他只是在做假设 – 并不是这样
– He’s making speeches. – That isn’t so!
我认为这是无效审判
I move for the declaration of mistrial…
因为陪审团心存偏见

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!