没有谁,给你的,在这里
Nobody. It’s for you, and there it is.
– 为什么? – 好了,看看吧,大猩猩
– Why? – Well, read it, you big ape.
你会发现的,很有趣
You’ll find out. It’s interesting.
关于我们的士兵杀害布尔人的谣言,正被这些讨厌的报纸广为流传
并受到了一些故意挑拨,德国和英国关系的要人的鼓励
其中有个叫考尼茨的人,他是个大话王、无赖
现在这个肯迪中尉,听起来是个极好的人,刚从南非回来
真希望他能来柏林亲自澄清事实!那要比一百个访问的作用还要大
亲爱的马撒,你认为赫普威尔先生会认识这个年轻的军官吗?
– 谢谢 – 接下去
– Thank you, sir. – Fire away.
我有个朋友
Well, sir, I have a friend…
很好,不是每个人都可以那样说,继续
Good. Not everyone can say that. Continue.
我这个朋友,有个侄女
This friend of mine, sir, has a niece.
长话短说,你这里说关于信的事情
Cut it short. You say here something about a letter.
第一,谁写的?第二,什么内容?
One: Who wrote it? Two: What’s in it?
第三,作战办公室要为此做点什么?第四,再说,第五,出去
Three: What’s the War Office got to do with it? Four: I’ll tell you. Five: Out.
第一?
One?
一个女孩从柏林写来的,伊迪丝·亨特,她在那里做家庭教师
A girl wrote it from Berlin, sir. Edith Hunter. She’s a governess there.
目前是个不舒服的工作
Rather an uncomfortable billet just now.
正是,在德国,他们憎恨我们
That’s just it. They hate us in Germany.
他们在全欧洲宣传
They’re spreading propaganda all over Europe
说我们在南非屠♥杀♥妇女和儿童
that we’re killing women and children in South Africa,
让他们挨饿,射杀母亲,烧死儿童
starving them in camps, shooting mothers, burning babies.
你不会相信他们所捏造的
You wouldnt believe what they’ve invented.
柯南·道尔也认为该为此做点什么
Conan Doyle thinks something ought to be done about it, too.
关于什么?这与信有什么关系?谁是柯南·道尔?
About what? And what’s all this about a letter? And who’s Conan Doyle?
作家,在斯特兰德大街写了《福尔摩斯》
The author chap. Writes the Sherlock Holmes stories in The Strand.
这个道尔写了《福尔摩斯》?是的,长官
– This Doyle writes the Sherlock Holmes stories? – Yes, sir.
– 柯南·道尔 – 从没听过,但自从91年6月开始
– Conan Doyle. – Never heard of him, but I’ve read
我就看过《福尔摩斯》的每个故事
every Holmes story since they started in July ’91.
– 读《巴斯克维尔的猎犬》吗? – 最后一♥期♥
– Reading The Hound Of The Baskervilles? – That last instalment.
对老沃森的一点打击
A bit of a facer for poor old Watson, sir.
“美妙的夜晚,我亲爱的沃森
“Lovely evening, my dear Watson.
我认为,你在外面比里面会更舒服”
I really think you’ll be more comfortable outside than in.”
讽刺的魔鬼,我曾经有个像他一样的指挥官
Sarcastic devil, that fellow Holmes. I once had a CO just like him.
他一定比作者更了不起
He must be a rather good fellow as authors go.
他正在收集有关我们在南非,与德国人宣传斗争的资料
He is collecting material about our campaign in South Africa to counter German propaganda.
《时代杂♥志♥》刊登了与我七星期前的一次访问
The Times printed an interview with me about seven weeks ago.
不好,该与报纸划清界限
Bad. A good rule to keep out of the newspapers.
尽管如此,《时代杂♥志♥》还是有点不同
Still, The Times is a bit different.
我猜是
Yes, I suppose so.
在访问中,我提到了叫乔丹赛汀的地方
In this interview, I mentioned a place called Jordaan Siding.
我在那里呆了七个月
I was there for seven months.
记者写到最可怕的故事,是一个叫考尼兹的家伙散布的
This girl writes that the worst stories of all are being put about by a fellow called Kaunitz,
他说他亲眼看到
who says he saw with his own eyes
英国兵为了节省食物,在乔丹赛汀杀了250个妇女和儿童
British soldiers kill 250 women and children at Jordaan Siding in order to save feeding them.
– 你认识这个考尼兹吗? – 当然,他是最可恶的小老鼠
– Do you know this fellow…Kaunitz? – Of course, sir. He’s the most awful little rat.
他在刺探我们和布尔人
He was spying for us and the Boers.
他在南非无立足之地,走了
He made South Africa too hot for himself and skipped.
– 双方如有可能都会杀了他的 – 你要我做什么?
– Both sides would have shot him, if they could. – What do you want me to do?
我的假期不到四周,何不去柏林解决了这家伙?
My leave isn’t up for four weeks. Why shouldn’t l go to Berlin and confront this rat?
好了
My dear boy.
首先,这不妥当,这不是军队的事,是大使♥馆♥的事
First of all, it’s not done. This isn’t Army business, it’s Embassy.
把政♥治♥留给政客
Leave politics to the politicians.
你去处理前线的事务,不像个外交官
You wouldn’t like a diplomat to come charging into the front line.
– 我会好好招待他的 – 幼稚的废话
– It might do him a lot of good, sir. – Juvenile nonsense.
对不起,长官
Sorry, sir.
你被送回国休养,你的国家需要你
You were sent home in order to recuperate. Your country needs you.
– 你打高尔夫球吗? – 打
– Do you play golf? – Yes, sir.
– 你排几点? – 大概十点
– What’s your form? – About ten, sir.
– 愿意比赛吗?- 对不起,长官
– Care for a game? – Sorry, sir.
吉尔萍夫人约我去莱斯特郡
I’m invited by Lady Gilpin to Leicestershire.
过得开心点
Enjoyyourself.
普朗莱少校
MI. Major Plumley.
– 这个作家小子 – 作家小子?
– This author chap… – Author chap, sir?
写《巴斯克维尔的猎犬》的人
Fellow that wrote Hound Of The Baskervilles.
– 柯南·道尔? – 是的
– Conan Doyle? – Yes.
你没有问他
You didn’t happen to ask him
– 下一集♥会♥发生什么事? – 等等
– What happens in the next instalment? – Just a moment.
有的,有另一个凶杀案
Yes, sir. There’s another murder.
– 不是从男爵? – 不是,从男爵很安全
– Not the baronet? – No, sir. The baronet’s safe.
很好,很好,我很高兴
Good. Good. I’m glad.
– 暖和的一月 – 冷死了
– Warm for January. – Damn cold, I call it.
照我的话做,你得到了个不错的奖章,现在安静一会儿
Take my tip, my boy. You’ve got a damn good VC, now keep quiet for a bit, hm?
(赫普威尔吹口哨:“我是泰坦妮娅”)
(Hopwell whistles “I Am Titania”)
他说什么了?
Well, what did he say?
今晚还去剧院吗?
Do you still want to go to the theatre tonight?
– 我问你时,你告诉我 – 别管我说什么了
– You told me when I asked you… – Never mind what I said.
陛下剧院,最后的花♥花♥公♥子♥
Her Majesty’s Theatre. The Last Of The Dandies.
向吉尔萍夫人和西比尔自我介绍
Introduce yourself to Lady Gilpin and Sybil.
就说我去执行秘密任务了,神秘点
Say I’ve gone on some secret mission. Make me mysterious.
女孩很可爱,妈妈很可怕
Girl’s pretty. Mother’s a gorgon.
– 你执行秘密任务吗? – 是,去柏林
– Are you going on a secret mission? – Yes, to Berlin.
– 他派你去吗? – 对他也是秘密
– He send you? – It’s a secret from him, too.
– 早上好,那些花你送的吗? – 是的
– Morning. You send those flowers? – Yes, sir.
哦,有张你的明信片
Oh, there’s a postcard for you, sir.
来自肯迪先生,老孩子到了
It’s from Mr Candy. So, the old boy got there.
– 肯迪先生怎样? – 自己看
– How is Mr Candy, sir? – Read it yourself.
亲爱的沃森,凯撒和甫酒店的情况怎么样? – – 夏洛克
(德语)这位小沙龙里的女士
Das ist die Dame im kleinen Salon.
肯迪先生?
Mr Candy?
– 亨特小姐? – 是的
– Miss Hunter? – Yes.
谢谢你的电报,太意外了,想不到你在柏林
Thank you for your telegram. It was a great surprise. I had no idea you were in Berlin.
我也是,昨天刚到
Nor had I until now. I only arrived yesterday.
你是专程为了我的信而来的吗?
Can you possibly mean that you’ve come here solely on account of my letter?
– 很自然 – 哦
– Well, naturally. – Oh.
– 不介意吧? – 不,当然不
– You don’t mind, do you? – No, no, of course not.
我们坐下好吗?
Well…shall we sit down?
– 旅途愉快吗? – 非常好,很抱歉带你出来
– Did you have a good journey? – Excellent. I’m sorry to bring you out.
– 本来打算打电♥话♥给你的 – 我换地址了
– I was about to call on you. – I’ve changed my address.
我的情况变得很严峻,必须得搬
My position became intolerable. I’ve had to leave.
英国人在柏林不很受欢迎
English people are not very popular in Berlin.
因为你是英国人而失去了工作?还能找到工作吗?
You’ve lost your job because you’re English? Can you get another job?
或者几个月后,不是现在
Perhaps in a few months’ time. Not now.
– 现在你做些什么? – 回去
– What will you do now? – Go back.
– 回英国? – 是的,恐怕是的
– To England? – Yes, I’m afraid so.
振作点,英国并不总是那么差
Cheer up. England isn’t as bad as all that, you know.
那就是我们俩要证明的,不是吗,肯迪先生?
That is what we both want to prove, isn’t it, Mr Candy?
是的,亨特小姐
Yes, Miss Hunter.
我们怎么开始?
How shall we begin?
– 你知道考尼茨长什么样吗? – 不知道,从没见过
– Do you know what Kaunitz looks like? – No, I’ve never seen him.
我知道有间咖啡厅,他在那举办“固定餐桌”…一张预留给他的桌子
#“固定餐桌”是一种德国的社交活动#
I know a cafe where he holds his Stammtisch – a table regularly reserved for him…
– 你认识他的朋友吗? – 有一个,是学生
– Do you know any of his friends, Miss Hunter? – Yes, one. A student.
我前雇主的弟弟,他是个布绅沙伏特
The brother of my…ex-employer. He is a Burschenschafter.
你知道什么是布绅沙伏特吗?
You know what Burschenshafts are?
– 不知道 – 有政♥治♥原则的学生团体
– No, Miss Hunter. – Groups of students with political principles.
他们以喝啤酒和决斗维护自己
They assert them by drinking beer and fighting duels.
– 我相信决斗在这里很流行 – 哦,是的
– Duelling is very popular here, I believe. – Oh, yes.
有伤痕累累的儿子是骄傲的,反之亦然
It’s a proud father that has a scarred son, and vice versa.
德国女孩发现伤痕很吸引人
German girls find scars very attractive.
最近出版了一本关于德国侨民的书,其中指出
A book was recently published on the German colonies, in which it was specifically stated
有决斗伤痕的一个优势是
that one advantage of possessing duelling scars
当地非洲人更尊重他们
was that native Africans look with more respect upon white men who bear them.
我感觉像斯坦利和利文斯敦
I feel like Stanley and Livingstone!
– 当然不是两者吧,肯迪先生? – 不是
– Surely not both, Mr Candy? – No.
– 利文斯敦小姐和传教士 – 利文斯敦是传教士
– Miss Livingstone and the missionary. – Livingstone was the missionary.
哦,对,当然,他是
Oh, yes, of course. So he was.
关于咖啡厅,今晚能带我吗?
Well, about this cafe, can you take me there this evening?
– 要我陪你吗? – 是的
– Do you wish me to accompany you? – Yes.
– 很好 – 你太好了
– Very well. – It’s awfully nice of you.
没有你,我肯定,绝对会迷路的
I should obviously be absolutely lost without you.
肯迪先生,你是利文斯敦,我认为
Then, Mr Candy, you are Livingstone, I presume?
(康康)
Cancan

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!