他从来未受过小提琴的训练
He has never had any training on the violin.
自从他流落街头后 他转而开始拉小提琴
He switched to the latter after winding up on the streets.
一天 我询问他的希望与梦想
One day, I asked him about his hopes and dreams.
“很简单” 他说 “我想要另外两根琴弦”
“That’s easy,” he said. “I’d like to get these other 2 strings. ”
亲爱的洛佩兹先生
Dear Mr. Lopez,
今早 我读到您关于街头音乐家的文章
This morning I read your article about the street musician
我深深地被感动了
And was deeply moved.
这把大提琴已经跟随我50年了
This cello is one I used for 50 years,
直到关节炎打败了我
Until arthritis got the better of me.
请把琴交给艾尔斯先生
Please pass it along to Mr. Ayers
再送上我对他健康和安全的祝福
With my prayers for his health and safety.
-纳撒尼尔 -我所试图在做的
– Nathaniel! – All I’m trying to do
就是尽力清洗干净隧♥道♥
Is work as hard as I can to clean up the tunnel.
-纳撒尼尔 -但是他们不要我帮忙
– Hey! Nathaniel! – But they don’t want me to help them.
我没有 你知道的
I won’t have it, you know.
-不想恶化下去… -你疯了吗
– Don’t want to have this degradation… – Are you out of your mind?
因为他们不尊重贝多芬
Because they just won’t respect that Beethoven…
你在干什么
What are you doing?
我试图告诉他们中的每个人
…and I try to tell every one of them,
我没有这种污秽
I won’t have this nastiness…
纳撒尼尔 我没有这样堕落
Nathaniel! … This degradation, I won’t have it.
不要
Don’t!
不要 不要
Don’t! Don’t!
在这隧♥道♥里 我不准备沾染这种污秽
I’m not going to have this nastiness in this tunnel.
这种堕落
This degradation.
好的
Good.
还记得我说要写些关于你的事吗
Remember when I said I was gonna write about you?
记得
Well, I did.
当人们知道你只用两根琴弦演奏
When people heard that you were just playing with 2 strings,
有听众觉得你值得拥有一把更好的琴
Some of them thought you might want something better to work with.
不 我买♥♥不起
No. I can’t cover that.
你不需要付钱 这是个礼物
You don’t have to pay for it. It’s a gift.
-我能确信这是个漂亮的乐器 -自♥由♥洁净
– I’m sure it’s a very beautiful instrument. – Free and clear.
这些人太慷慨了
People are very, very generous.
听着 有个条件
But, look, here’s the deal.
你在大街上带着这个贵重物品不安全
It’s not safe for you to have something this valuable on the streets…
洛佩兹先生 你无需担心这个
You don’t have to worry about that, Mr. Lopez.
我被抢过很多次了
I’ve been mugged 14 times.
我会誓死保护这把琴的
I will fight to the death to protect this instrument.
对 这正是我的意思
Right, that’s my point exactly.
所以 有个地方
So, apparently there’s a place
下去几个街区 那儿有个叫兰普的地方
That’s a couple of blocks down that’s called Lamp.
-我不能去了 不行… -等一下
– I can’t go… no, I can’t go there. – And I… hold on.
我不能…我不能去
I can’t go… no, I can’t go there.
-他们抽烟 -我和那家伙聊过
– They smoke cigarettes. – I talked to the guy.
-他说可以保持清洁 -他们把烟头扔在地上
– He says you can keep it there. – They drop the butts on the ground.
他们这样做是为了折磨我 他们为了折磨我
They do it to torment me. They just… they do it to torment me.
说定了 你想演奏这把大提琴 在那里才行
That’s the deal. You wanna play this, you gotta do it there.
-不行 -行的
– I can’t do that. – oh, yeah.
这次算了
Except for this one time.
开始吧 还有一个驾车测试之类的
Take it out and give it a test drive or whatever.
-也就是说我能在这里演奏吗 -只能几分钟
– So I can play it here? – For a couple minutes,
之后我们就去兰普
And then we’re gonna bring it to Lamp.
你躺在那里就如同躺在毯子上的猪
Laying in there like a pig in a blanket.
只有…只有那些伟大的人物
Only… only the greats. Really, only the greats.
马友友 杰奎琳·杜普蕾
Yo-yo Ma, Jacqueline Du Pre,
还有最泰然自若的
And the coolest cucumber of them all is
亚诺什·斯塔克
Janos Starker.
要在琴弦上加点松香 就像喂鹦鹉
Gotta put rosin on your bow. It’s just like feeding a parakeet.
琴弦需要松香就好象警车需要装罪犯
A bow needs rosin just like a police car needs prisoners.
把它包起来 我们要送去兰普 你可以要回它
So pack it up. We’ll bring it to Lamp, you can get back at it.
我还没好好了解她呢
I haven’t really gotten a chance to know her yet.
-所以… -我并没有说你不能演奏它
– So… – I’m not saying you can’t play.
你可以 只是不在这里
You can. Just not here.
这里的音乐环境很完美
This is the perfect music environment
-对于演奏音乐来说 -这里吗
– For playing music. – This?
-不 -是的
– No. – Yes.
这是人行道 知道吗
This is a sidewalk, okay?
-我们说好的 -别 别 你会弄断琴弦的
– That’s the deal. We made a deal. – No, no, no. You’ll break the bridge.
-水汽会进去 琴会受潮 -我会这么干吗
– You’ll put water in it, you’ll drown her. – That’s what I’ll do?
-琴会被损坏的 -我为什么要损坏它
– It will be ruined. – Why would I damage it?
-我给了你这该死的东西 -不能在这里演奏
– I gave you the damn thing. – It won’t play right ever,
-因为 洛佩兹先生 你会毁了它的 -我不会…
– Because, Mr. Lopez, you’ll ruin it. – I’m not going to…
我不会让你害了它的
I’m not gonna see you get killed over this.
你不知道自己在干什么 让我把它放好
You don’t know what you’re doing. Let me put it away myself.
把它放好
Then put it away.
谢谢
Thank you.
因为你和某人开始一段关系…
Because when you start a relationship with somebody…
-别大吵大闹的好吗 -这的确很严重
– Don’t make a big deal of it, okay? – It is a big deal.
一会儿 你就能在兰普拥有它了
In a minute, you’ll have it set up down at Lamp
一直不停地演奏
And be playing like you never stopped.
-知道吗 -全新的一段关系
– Right? – It’s brand-new, this relationship.
-我不想让这段关系结束 -你知道在哪儿吗
– I don’t want this relationship to end. – Do you know where it is?
-不 我不能这么做 -留在那儿就行 我送你过去
– No, I can’t do that. – Just leave that there. I’ll drive you.
我有自己的手推车 我自己能过去
I have my cart there. I could get it in my cart.
你在干什么 你放手
What are you doing? You’re gonna let go.
-手放开 -有人…
– Just let your fingers go. – Does anyone…
有人看见他在干什么吗
Does anyone see what he’s doing right here?
-他在偷琴 -我们在那里见
– He’s stealing it. – I’ll… I’ll meet you there.
珊·朱利安大街6号♥
San Julian and 6th.
清楚了吗
All right?
-我开车 你走过去 -我知道在哪里…
– I’ll drive. You walk. – I know where it is…
半小时后见如何
See you in a half hour?
不需要
I’m good.
上帝啊
Jesus.
很好
Fine.
网球鞋
Tennis shoes.
每次一个 每次一个
One at a time. One at a time.
注射器 10美分
The pusher. 10 cents.
-请问 大卫在吗 -你要找谁
– Say, hey, is David here? – Yes?
我是来找大卫的
I’m here for David.
-谁 -大卫
– Who? – David.
大卫? 我去找他
David? I can go get him.
谢谢
Thanks.
大卫
David!
你是志愿者吗
You a volunteer?
史蒂夫·洛佩兹 洛杉矶时报的
Steve Lopez, Los Angeles Times.
-别害怕 进来 -谢谢
– Don’t be scared. Come in. – Thanks.
每个人都有钥匙
Every staff has a key,
所以如果他来了而我不在
So if he does come by and I’m not here,
其他人也可以把东西给他
then anybody can get it for him.
-他会来的 -好的
– Well, he’ll be here. – Okay.
他说他在路上了
He said he was coming.
你可以为我签到一下吗
Can you sign in for me?
-当然 -谢谢
– Sure. – Thanks.
-下午好 -你好
– Afternoon. – Hi. How are you?
真让人受不了 他们就是找不到
I mean, it’s tired. It’s like they can’t find the medication
适合我的药 明白吗
That’s right for me, you know?
-你知道我的意思吧 -是的
– You know what I’m trying to say? – Yeah.
他们给我锂片的时候
When they put me on lithium,
我大脑的一部分
It was like a portion of my brain
就全都正常起来了
Was fully functional.
知道我什么意思吗
You know what I mean?
我一吃下锂片
Because it’s like when I take the lithium and everything,
我头脑中的声音就不见了
It totally eliminates the voices in my mind
就在那声音刚刚开始的时候
When they first start rising up,
然后一下就停了 停在那儿了
You know, and it stops them, right there.
我不喜欢这样 因为药物让声音消失了
I don’t like that, because they just stop them.
因为那些声音有的时候让我安心
Because, see, sometimes those voices comfort me.
我安心的时候 他们又给我锂片
And when they comfort me, if they give me all this lithium,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!