你应该用“通常”这个字
The word is often.
当她一开始.就不会停.通常会持续好几个小时
Once she starts there’s practically no stopping.
She’ll go right on for hours.
当然这种情形不常发生
Not all the time.
有周期性的
Regularly.
所以每一次你都看到 差不多
You can tell time by her? – Just about.
可不可以… 当然
我之所以跟她结婚.是因为她怀孕了
I married her because she was pregnant.
但是你说过你们并没有小孩
But you said you didn’t have any children.
她并没有真的怀孕.只是假性怀孕
She wasn’t really. It was a…hysterical pregnancy.
她的肚子先隆起后下去
She blew up and then she went down.
所以当她肚子大时.你就跟她结婚
And when she was up you married her?
然后她肚子又小了
Then she went down.
当我16岁时.在迦太基战争时.我当时在上补校
When I was 16…and going to prep school,
during the Punic Wars…
放假时.在我们回家之前.我们都会去镇上一天
…a bunch of us would go to town the first day of vacation…
…before we fanned out to our homes.
在晚上.我们会去一家酒店.是我们其中一个教父开的
And in the evening we would go to a gin mill…
…owned by the gangster-father of one of us…
我们会和大人们一起喝酒.听听爵士乐
…and we would drink with the grown-ups and listen to the jazz.
有一次.我们其中一个.他当时15岁
And one time, in the bunch of us…there was this boy who was 15…
几年前.他用散♥弹♥枪♥杀了他妈妈
…and he had killed his mother with a shotgun some years before.
那完全是个意外
Completely accidentally…
他根本不想这样做.我完全相信
…without even an unconscious
motivation, I have no doubt at all.
有一次.我们在一起.当时在点酒.轮到他时
And this one time this boy went with us and…
…we ordered our drinks…
他说.我要冰琴酒.给我一杯冰琴酒
…and when it came his turn he said…”I’ll have bergin.”
Give me some bergin please.”
加水.我们全笑了.他是金发.脸圆圆的
Bergin and water.We all laughed.
He was blond and he had the face of a cherub
我们都笑了.然后他的脸都红了.脖子也是
and we all laughed.And his cheeks went red and the color rose in his neck.
侍者告诉旁边那桌.他们全都笑了
The waiter told people at the next table
what the boy said and they laughed…
越来越多人知道.笑声越来越大
…and then more people were told
and the laughter grew and grew.
没有人笑的比我们还大声
No one was laughing more than us…
而那个杀了他妈妈的男生.是笑的最大声的
…and none of us more than the boy who had shot his mother.
很快.酒店里的人.都知道了这个笑话
And soon everyone in the gin mill
knew what the laughter was about…
大家都开始点冰琴酒.边点边笑
…and everyone started ordering bergin
and laughing when they ordered it.
当然笑声慢慢小了下来.但是并没有完全停止
And soon, of course, the laughter became less general…
…but it did not subside entirely for a very long time.
只要有一桌.或是某一个人点了冰琴酒
For always at this table or that…someone would order bergin…
又会有人开始笑.那晚我们的酒是免费的
…and a whole new area of laughter would rise.
We drank free that night.
我们其中之一的教父.让我们买♥♥了一瓶香槟
We were bought champagne by the management…
…by the gangster-father of one of us.
当然.我们第二天很痛苦.每一个坐在返乡的火车上
And, of course,we suffered the next day…
…each of us alone,on his train away from the city…
每一个人都有成人的宿醉.那是我年轻时最棒的一天
…and each of us with a grown-up’s hangover.
But it was the grandest day…of my…youth.
那男孩后来怎么样
What happened to the boy?
那个杀了他妈妈的男孩呢
The boy who had shot his mother.
我不会告诉你.好吧
I won’t tell you.
第二个夏天.在乡村的小路上学习驾驶汽车
The next summer on a country road,
with his learner’s permit…
他父亲坐在他右手边
…and his father sitting to his right
他为了闪避来车.于是直接撞上了一棵大树
he swerved to avoid a porcupine…
…and drove straight into a large tree.
当然他活着.在医院里.当他脱离危险醒来后
He was not killed, of course. In the hospital
when he was conscious and out of danger…
当他们告诉他.他爸爸死了
…when they told him his father was dead…
他一直在笑.笑声越来越大.而且不能停止
…he began to laugh, I have been told.
And his laughter grew and would not stop.
直到他们在他手臂上打了一针
And it was not until after
they’d jammed a needle in his arm…
直到他失去了意识.他的笑声才停止
…not until his consciousness had slipped away from him…
…that his laughter subsided. Stopped.
当他的车祸伤口复原.当他能自♥由♥行走时
When he recovered from his injuries enough…
…so he could be moved without damage should he struggle…
他们送他去养育院.那是30年前的事了
…he was put in an asylum. That was thirty years ago.
他还在那边吗 是的
Is he still there? Oh, yes.
我听说他30年来.没有发过一点声音
I’m told that for these thirty years…
…he has not uttered…one sound.
那就是玛莎. 她在煮咖啡
That’s Big Martha. She’s making coffee.
为你的假怀孕太太煮咖啡
For your hysterical wife, who goes up and down.
曾经是. 忽大忽小
Went. Up and down.
曾经是.现在没有了.没有了
Went? And no more? No more. Nothing.
玛莎从来没有假怀孕过. 我太太有过一次
Martha doesn’t have hysterical pregnancies.
My wife had one.
玛莎从来没有怀孕过
Martha doesn’t have pregnancies at all.
你们有没有别的孩子.女儿之类的
Do you have any other kids, any daughters or anything?
有没有什么
Do we have any what?
你是不是只有一个孩子.就是你的儿子
I mean, do you only have the one…kid, your son?
不.只有一个 .一个男孩
No, just one. One boy.
我们的儿子
Our son.
那很好
That’s nice.
他是我们的宝贝
He’s a comfort.
他是我们的豆袋 什么
He’s a beanbag. A what?
豆袋.你不会懂的
A beanbag. You wouldn’t understand.
一个豆袋
A beanbag!
我听到了 .我并不聋 我只是说不懂而已
I heard! I didn’t say I was deaf,
I said I didn’t understand!
你根本没有说那句话.我只是表示我不懂而已
You didn’t say that at all.
– I was implying I didn’t understand.
天啊.你太紧张了 我很抱歉
You’re getting testy. – I’m sorry!
我只是说我们最喜欢的儿子. 玛莎是个独眼巨人
I just said our son, the apple of
our 3 eyes, Martha being a Cyclops…
而我们的儿子是豆袋.然后你就生气了
…our son is a beanbag, and you get testy.
我很抱歉.很晚了.而且我累了.从9点就喝到现在
It’s late, I’m tired. I’ve been drinking since 9 o’clock.
我太太在吐.里面听到很多尖叫声
My wife is vomiting. There’s been a lot of screaming here.
你是太紧张了 .这是很自然的.不要担心
You get testy, naturally. Don’t worry about it.
每个人到这都应该紧张.正常.不要生气
Anybody coming here gets testy. Don’t be upset.
我不是生气.你在发怒
I’m not upset. – You’re testy.
是的
Yes
既然在外面.我有些话要对你直说
I’d like to set you straight
about something while we’re out here.
是关于玛莎所说过的话
About something Martha said.
这是森林的声音
Hark! Forest sounds.
动物的叫声
Animal noises.
护士在那里
Oh, well, here’s nursie!
我们现在正在喝咖啡
We’re sitting up, we’re having coffee.
我能做什么吗.你就坐在那边听乔治的说词
Is there anything I should do?
No, you just stay there and listen to Georgie’s side of things.
让你自己无聊一下吧
Bore yourself to death!
乔治.你有没有把你自己弄干净
You clean up the mess you made in here?
不.玛莎.我没有清
No, Martha, I did not clean up the mess I made.
我试着清理我们之间的事.已经很久了
I’ve been trying for years to clean up the mess I made.
你一直在试吗
Have you been trying for years?
容忍♥.调整.一切能试的都试过
Accommodation, adjustment…
…those do seem to be in the order of things.
我跟你并不一样
Don’t put me in the same class with you.
不.当然不是.对你来说事情简单多了
No, of course not.I mean things are simpler for you.
你跟她结婚.是因为她肚子大了
You marry a woman because she’s all blown up.
而我.还是传统. 不.还有更多你不知道的
Where I, in my old-fashioned way…
– There was more to it than that.
当然.我猜她很有钱
Sure. I bet she has money too.
是的
Yes.
是吗…
你是说我猜到了吗
You mean I was right? I hit it?
天啊.我真厉害.第一次就中
My God, what archery! First try, too.How about that?
还有别的? 是的
There were other things. – Yes.
为了补偿? 是的
To compensate.
总是这个理由. 让我来
There always are. Allow me.
告诉我关于你太太的钱
Tell me about your wife’s money.
不要 那就不要
No. Okay, don’t.
我的岳父是神的仆人.而且他非常有钱
My father-in-law was a man of the Lord.And he was very rich.
哪一派的
What faith?
我的岳父在6岁时.就被人称做神
My father-in-law…was called by God when he was six or something.
他开始传教.浸礼.他拯救他们
He started preaching, baptized people,and he saved them and then…
他到处跑.变的非常出名
…he traveled around a lot and became pretty famous.
不像…其他的人…他非常出名
Not like…some of them but…pretty famous.
他死后留下很多钱
When he died he had a lot of money.
教会的钱吗? 不.他自己的钱
God’s money? – No, his own.
那教会的钱呢? 他把自己的存下来.花教会的钱
What about God’s money?
– He spent it and he saved his own.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!