Now, suppose I do pay you this money.
假如我真的有缴这些钱
Mind you, I don’t say that I’m going to,
我意思不是打算缴钱
but just for the sake of argument,
我只是想请教一下
what’s the government going to do with it?
政♥府♥拿这些钱去做什么?
What do you mean? Well, what do I get for my money?
什么意思? 我的钱会为我换来什么?
For instance, if I go into a department store and buy something,
打个比方 如果我走进百货公♥司♥买♥♥件了东西
why, there it is. I can see it.
是可以看得见的那种
But what are they going to give me?
这样政♥府♥能给我什么?
The government gives you everything. It protects you.
政♥府♥能赐给你一切 可以保护你
From what?
保护什么?
Well, invasion.
免于被侵略
How do you think the government’s
政♥府♥建造战舰
gonna keep up the Army and Navy
来维持海军战力
with all those battleships? Battleships?
所有那些战舰? 战舰?
Last time we used battleships was in the Spanish- American War
上次用到战舰是在美西战争时
and what did we get out of that?
结果又得到什么?
Cuba. And we gave that back.
古巴后来又还回去了
Why, I wouldn’t mind paying for something sensible.
我宁愿买♥♥一些划得来的东西
Something sensible.
划得来的东西
What about Congress and the Supreme Court and the President?
还有国会最高法♥院♥和总统?
We’ve got to pay them, don’t we?
也必须维持他们的开销?
Not with my money, no, sir.
这也用不到我的钱吧
Now. . . Now, wait a minute. I didn’t come here to argue with you.
我不是来跟你辩论的
Hello, everybody.
大家好
Hello, Tony. Hello, Alice.
你好 托尼 你好 爱丽丝
Is everybody acquainted with everybody? Yes, indeed.
大家都认识了吧 是啊 我们聊的很愉快
We’ve had a most delightful talk about love and marriage.
关于恋爱和结婚的事情
I’m sorry. I tried to hurry. No, come on, wait.
抱歉 我下来晚了 没关系
Look, Mr. Vanderhof.
你看 范先生
All I know is you haven’t paid an income tax,
反正我只知道你没付所得税
and you’ve got to pay it.
而且你非付不可
What was that?
你说什么?
I said you’ve got to pay it.
我说你非付不可
Well, you’ve got to show me.
你必须回答我
We don’t have to show you. I just told you.
我只需要告诉你
Who’s going to pay for all those buildings
不然 谁来付那些华府的开支
down in Washington and interstate commerce and the Constitution?
州际商务处和宪法
The Constitution has been paid for years ago.
宪法的费用早就付清了
And as for interstate commerce. . .
至于你说的州际商务处…等等
What is interstate commerce anyway?
州际商务处到底是什么东西?
There are 48 states, see?
全国共有四十八州
And if it weren’t for interstate commerce,
如果没有州际商务处的话
nothing could go from one state to another. See?
一件东西就无法越过州际
Well, why not? Have they got fences?
为什么有围墙吗?
No, they haven’t got fences. They’ve got laws.
不是围墙的关系 而是法律
Holy smokes, I never ran across anything like this before.
老天从没碰过这种怪事
Well, I might pay you about $75,
我大概可以付你七十五块左右
but it isn’t worth a cent more.
多一毛也不行
You’ll pay every cent just like anybody else.
你得和大家一样乖乖缴税
Now, listen to me.
听着
You’ll go to jail if you don’t pay, do you hear that?
否则就抓你去坐牢
That’s law.
这是法律
If you think you’re bigger than the law,
如果你犯法了
you’ve got another thing coming.
你会吃不了兜着走的
You’re just the same as anybody else.
你和其他人一样
And the sooner you get that through your head, the better.
越快想清楚越好
Holy smokes!
天啊!
My father makes fireworks in the cellar.
我父亲在地下室制♥造♥烟火
How did that sound to you? Pretty good.
效果如何? 好极了
Thanks.
谢谢
Well, I guess we’d better be going, Tony.
我想 我们该走了
Say, he was pretty mad, wasn’t he? He certainly was.
他刚才好像很生气 肯定
That might get you into an awful lot of trouble, Mr. Vanderhof.
惹上这种人 恐怕麻烦不小
No, not me. I was only having fun with him.
不会的 我只是喜欢戏弄他
I don’t owe the government a cent.
我一毛钱也不亏欠政♥府♥的
Well, we’re going. Good night, everybody. Good night.
我们走了 大家晚安 晚安
Hello, everybody.
大家好
Hello, Kolenkhov.
你好 科伦柯霍夫
You know, never have I seen you look more magnificent.
从来没看见你如此的美丽
Thank you. Mr. Kirby, this is Mr. Kolenkhov, Essie’s dancing teacher.
这是埃西的舞蹈老师 科伦柯霍夫先生
How do you do, sir? I do not know you,
你好 先生? 我不认识你
but you are a very lucky man. Thank you.
但你很幸运 谢谢
I practiced today, Mr. Kolenkhov.
我正在练习 科伦柯霍夫先生
My Paviova.
我的芭蕾女皇
Grandpa, I am in time for dinner, no?
老爹 我正赶上吃晚餐吗?
You are in time for dinner, yes.
是啊 你来的正好
Well, goodbye, Mr. Kolenkhov.
再见 科伦柯霍夫先生
We’re going to the Monte Carlo Ballet.
我们要去观赏蒙特卡罗芭蕾舞团
The Monte Carlo Ballet? It stinks.
蒙特卡罗舞团?烦透了
Yes? Well. . .
是啊?嗯…
Well, good night, everybody. Good night.
再见了 各位 晚安
Good night. Good night.
晚安 晚安
Bye.

The Monte Carlo Ballet.
蒙特卡罗芭蕾舞团
Dinner’s ready.
晚餐准备好了
My little Rheba, what would I do without my angel?
你是我心目中的小天使
Only three shirts this time,
这次只有三件衬衫
but they must be washed by your beautiful little hands.
一定要你美丽的小手才能洗
And would you sew on two little buttons on one of them?
请你替我缝上两个扣子…
Monte Carlo Ballet. Sergei Diaghilev. Then you have ballet.
蒙特卡罗舞团太过份了
Quiet, please.
大家安静
Quiet.
安静
Well, sir. Here we are again.
上帝 我们又来了
We’ve been getting on pretty good for quite a while now.
最近 似乎一切都尽如人意
We’re certainly much obliged.
我们的内心充满感激
Looks like Alice is going to get married,
爱丽丝快结婚了
and I think she’ll be very happy,
我想她将会十分幸福
because we just met the boy you sent her
因为我们刚见到你派来的男孩
and he looks fine.
他看起来挺不错的
Remember, all we ask is just to go along the way we are
我们只希望能这样继续生活
and keep our health.
保有健康
As far as anything else is concerned, we leave that up to you.
尽人事听天命 感谢你佑护
Thank you.
谢谢
Well, Kolenkhov, did you bring me any Russian stamps?
科伦柯霍夫 有没有带来俄♥国♥邮票?
No. Nobody writes to me. They’re all dead.
没人写信给我 我估计他们都死光了
I was just thinking about that family of yours.
我想起你们那一家子
Living with them must be like
和他们生活在一起
living in a world that Walt Disney might have thought of.
大概就像是在迪士尼乐园一样
Everybody does just as he pleases, doesn’t he?
似乎每个人都能随心所欲
Yes, Grandpa started it.
是啊 是从爷爷开头
He just suddenly left business one day.
他有一天突然辞去工作
He started up in the elevator,turned ’round,
他直接从办公室坐电梯下来
came right down again and never went back.
再也没有回去工作
He could have been a rich man,
他本来可以发财的
but he said he wasn’t having any fun.
可是他觉得那样没意思
That’s wonderful.
太棒了
Then he started collecting stamps, because that’s what he liked best.
现在 他最大的兴趣是集邮
You know, he gets paid just to appraise collections.
当然 他收集了许多珍贵的邮票
He’s an expert. That’s marvelous.
他是个专家 真了不起
My dad, he makes fireworks because,
我父亲喜欢制♥造♥烟花
well, because he never grew up, I guess.
大概是他永远童心未泯
And, Mother. Do you know why Mother writes plays?
你知道我妈妈为何喜欢写剧本吗?
Probably likes literature and good books.
或许她天生喜欢写作
No, because eight years ago,
不对 因为八年前
a typewriter was delivered to the house by mistake.
有一台打字机误送到我们家
If it had been a plow, she’d have taken up farming?
如果是犁耙的话 那她就变成农夫了?
I’m sure of it, if she’d liked it.
我想一定没错
This is making conversation,
和你聊天真有趣
but weren’t we supposed to go to the ballet?
你不去看芭蕾了吗?
Yes. Well, let’s see.
对 嗯 让我看看

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!