[ Bell Ringing ]
[ Key Rattling In Lock ]
– 晚上好,艾略特先生 – 晚上好
– Evening, Mr. Elliott. – Good evening.

Brrr.
– 只要在本上签名,如果你愿意 – 是的
– Just sign the book, if you will. – Yes.
– 你总是很忙,艾略特先生? – 哦,还好
– Been keeping you busy, Mr. Elliott? – Oh, just nicely.
星期一去曼彻斯特- 一个犯人
Went up to Manchester on Monday– a poisoner.
今天早晨去霍洛威孤儿院 都是很普通的犯罪
Baby-farmer at Holloway this morning. Very ordinary crimes, both of them.
明天要处理的这个有点特殊
This one we’ve got for you tomorrow is something special.
是的,非常特殊
Yes, very much so.
即使我有多年的专业经验…
Even after all my years in the profession…
也还是很想见他
I’m quite looking forward to him. [ Chuckles ]
– 哦,我必须要走了 – 晚安,艾略特先生
– Well, I must be getting along. – Good night, Mr. Elliott.
– 晚安 – 7:00来一杯茶?
– Good night. – Usual cup of tea at 7:00?
哦,谢谢
Oh, please.
即使是我的导师, 伟大的贝利先生自己…
Even my lamented master, the great Mr. Berry himself…
也无权绞死一名公爵
never had the privilege of hanging a duke.
是的
Yes.
这是一个什么样的 公务员生涯的结束啊
What a finale to a lifetime in the public service.
– “结束”? – 是的,我想要退休了
– “Finale”? – Yes, I intend to retire.
用过了绸绳之后…
After using the silken rope…
就再也不会满足于麻绳了
never again be content with hemp.
– 的确 哦,我们到了 – 哦,谢谢你
– Quite. Well, here we are. – Oh, thank you.
怎么处理他呢?
How will he approach it?
我想用最你所知道的 最平静的方式处理
I should think as the calmest you’ve ever known.
贵族特权,毫无疑问
Noblesse oblige, doubtless.
一个困难的客户 会让事情变得非常悲惨
A difficult client can make things most distressing.
他们中有些人 会变得非常歇斯底里
Some of them tend to be very hysterical.
完全不顾及别人
So inconsiderate.
哦,上校,考虑到 这场合的重要性…
Well, Colonel, considering the importance of the occasion…
我应该早点退休
I shall retire early.
这个国家上一次 对公爵的处决真是办的非常糟糕
The last execution of a duke in this country was really badly bungled.
那是用斧子的旧时代,当然
That was in the old days of the ax, of course.
是的
Yes.
哦,我 – 我差点忘了
Oh, I — I almost forgot.
嗯,你必须原谅我的无知…
Um, you must forgive my ignorance…
我们明天早晨见面的时候…
but when we meet in the morning…
我应该怎么称呼他?
what is the correct form of address?
– 殿下? – 阁下
– Your Lordship? – Your Grace.
阁下?哦
Your Grace? Oh.
谢谢
Thank you.
早上好,阁下
Good morning, Your Grace.
早上好,阁下
[ Mutters ] Good morning, Your Grace.
[ Key Rattling In Lock ]
– 好吧 ,坐下 – 啊,晚上好,上校,来杯酒吗?
– All right. Sit down. – Ah, good evening, Colonel. Glass of wine?
晚上好,阁下 呃,谢谢,不要
Good evening, Your Grace. Uh, thank you, no.
我,呃 – 我来问一个你对 早餐有没有什么特别的要求
I, uh — I called to inquire whether you had any special wishes for breakfast.
只要咖啡和一片面包,谢谢
[ Chuckles ] Just coffee and a slice of toast, thank you.
哦,也许再来一些葡萄
Oh, and perhaps a few grapes.
我不喜欢让读报纸的公众失望…
I hate to disappoint the newspaper-reading public…
但对于常规的早餐来说太早了
but it’ll be too early for the conventional hearty breakfast.
约定的时间是8:00, 不是吗?
The appointment is at 8:00, is it not?
8:00,呃,是的
At 8:00, uh, yes.
不揣冒昧地说一句, 我对你的平静感到很吃惊
If I may venture to say so, I am amazed at your calmness.
约翰逊医生总是对的…
Dr. Johnson was, as always, right…
在他观察的时候,说: “我敢说,先生
when he observed, “Depend upon it, sir.
“当一个人知道 他几小时之后就要被绞死了…
“When a man knows that he’s going to be hanged in a few hours…
那会惊人地使他注意力集中”
it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”
是,哦,如果没什么 别的可以为你做的 –
Yes. Well, if there is nothing further I can do for you —
没了,谢谢,上校
Nothing. Thank you, Colonel.
我们明天早晨 还有机会道别,我想
We shall have the opportunity of making our adieus in the morning, I presume.
很遗憾地说,是的
I regret to say, yes.
– 晚安,阁下 – 晚安,上校
– Good night, Your Grace. – Good night, Colonel.
“以下大事历史…
[ Reading ] “A brief history of the events leading thereto…
“写于处决前夜…
“written on the eve of his execution…
“作者:路易·德·阿斯科内·马兹尼, 查尔方特公爵十世…
“By Louis D’Ascoyne Mazzini, 10th duke of Chalfont…
“我冒昧地希望这不是完全无趣的…
“Who ventures to hope that it may prove not uninteresting…
对那些读者来说”
to those who remain to read it.”
[ Snoring ]
朋友,你陪着我并非我的选择
My good man, it is not by my choice that you keep me company.
如果你想要睡觉, 我谦恭地恳求你安静地睡觉
If you wish to sleep, pray do me the courtesy of sleeping quietly.
“还剩下很少的一点 时间来写完我的故事…
[ Reading ] “With so little time remaining to complete my story…
“很难选择从哪儿开始讲
“it is difficult to choose where to begin it.
也许我应该从头开始讲”
Perhaps I should begin at the beginning.”
[ Baby Crying ]
我出生时是一个健康的婴儿, 母亲是英国人,父亲是意大利人-
[ Louis Narrating ] I was a healthy baby, born of an English mother and Italian father- –
[ Grunts ]
他才看了我一眼 就死于心脏病发作
Who succumbed to a heart attack at the moment of first setting eyes on me.
在这种情况下,很容易理解 我对他只有很少的记忆
In the circumstances, it will be understood that I have but slight memory of him.
“仅有的一些也是来自于 妈妈告诉我的”
“The little I know comes from what Mama told me.”
## [ Classical ]
你父亲是一个非常英俊的人
Your father was a very handsome man.
## [ Singing Opera In Italian ]
##[ Singing Continues ]
##[ Continues ]
## [ Sustained Note ]
妈妈是查尔方特 公爵七世的女儿…
[ Louis Narrating ] Mama was the daughter of the seventh duke of Chalfont…
他住在查尔方特城♥堡♥
Of Chalfont Castle.
她和她英俊的歌♥手私奔了…
– [ No Audible Dialogue ] – She eloped with her handsome singer…
放弃了中世纪的 壮观的查尔方特城♥堡♥…
And exchanged the medieval splendors of Chalfont Castle…
选择了现代的 便利的公♥寓♥…
For the modern conveniences of number 73…
西南区巴拉克洛瓦大街73号♥
Balaclava Avenue, S.W.
## [ Singing In Italian ]
他们很穷, 但他们有五年快乐和谐的时光…
[ Louis Narrating ] They were poor, but they had five happy and harmonious years…
我的诞生把爸爸送进了天堂
Before my arrival sent Papa off to join the heavenly choir.
##[ Mazzini Singing In Italian ]
我父亲的死 造成了更大的贫困…
[ Louis ] Reduced to even deeper poverty by my father’s death…
妈妈放弃了她的自尊…
Mama swallowed her pride…
试图和她的家族取得和解
And made an effort at reconciliation with her family.
他们甚至连她的信也不回
They did not even reply to her letter.
为了让我们活下来, 她被迫…
In order to keep us both alive, she was reduced…
接受一个房♥客
To the horrible expedient of taking in a lodger.
[ Blows Nose ]
她必须为他做仆人的工作
For him, she had to perform the most menial tasks.
她感觉她的家族阴谋 来欺骗我的继承权…
She felt that her family had conspired to cheat me of my birthright…
于是我从婴儿到童年…
And I passed from infancy to childhood…
都生活在家族史和家谱的气氛中
In an atmosphere of family history and genealogies.
公爵领地的授予…
The dukedom had been bestowed…
是由查理二世授予 亨利·德·阿斯科内上校…
By Charles II on Colonel Henry D’Ascoyne…
以奖励他参军期间 为陛下的杰出服务
For services rendered to His Majesty during his exile.
后来,为了表彰 对陛下的服务…
Later, for services rendered to His Majesty…
在女公爵的帮助下, 他复辟之后…
After his restoration by the duchess…
头衔被赋予了独特的权力…
The title was granted the unique privilege…
女性后代也有了象 男性后代一样的继承权
Of descending by the female as well as the male line.
– 路易 – 因此理论上是可行的…
– Louis. – It was therefore theoretically possible…
就是通过妈妈, 我也可以继承公爵头衔
– that via Mama I might inherit the dukedom. – [ No Audible Dialogue ]
妈妈省吃俭用…
Mama scraped and saved…
送我去她能支付得起的 最好的学校
And sent me to the best school she could afford.
我上学时候的一件小事 对我来说很有趣…
One little incident of my school days occurs to me as amusing…
尤其是联♥系♥到我目前的处境
In relation to my present situation.
莱昂内·霍兰德
Lionel Holland.
第六诫是什么?
What is the Sixth Commandment?
来了,现在来了
[ Teacher ] Come, come now.
那么让别人来吧
Someone else then.
不知道,请,沃特曼小姐
I know, please, Miss Waterman.
路易·马兹尼,告诉他
Louis Mazzini. Tell him.
– “不能杀人” – 非常正确,路易
– “Thou shalt not kill.” – Quite right, Louis.
第六诫是“不能杀人”
[ Teacher ] The Sixth Commandment is “Thou shalt not kill:”
“不,在那些日子…
[ Reading ] “No, in those days…
“我对于第六诫 从没有任何麻烦
“I never had any trouble with the Sixth Commandment.
至于第七诫,我才刚刚到年龄 去考虑这件事情”
As to the seventh, I was hardly of an age to concern myself with it.”
但是我已经 够年龄去恋爱了
Although I was old enough to be in love.
于是茜贝拉进入了我的故事
So Sibella enters my story.
茜贝拉和她弟弟,格拉汉, 是我仅有的密友…
Sibella and her brother, Graham, were my only close friends…
我们一起长大
And we grew up together.
在他们那里,妈妈放松了 反对我和本地孩子们的交往
In their case, Mama relaxed her objection to my associating with the local children.
至少他们的父亲,哈沃德医生, 是一个专业人士
At least their father, Dr. Hallward, was a professional man.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!