You mean I might become duke of Chalfont?
我的意思是说 你几乎可以肯定就是了
I mean that you almost certainly will.
考虑到这个, 我感觉这样更合适一些…
In view of that, I feel it would be more fitting…
你应该停止再做这里的雇员 –
that you should cease to be an employee here —
– 哦 – 改为我的合伙人
– Oh. – And become instead my partner.
我非常的感谢和荣幸
I am most deeply grateful and honored.
如果你过来这里, 我会把一切事情向你解释明白
If you’ll come round here, I will make everything very clear to you.
呃,如果她活着的话,你的母亲,当然, 会在你之前继承
Uh, had she lived, your mother, of course, would have succeeded before you.
我作合伙人的第一件事情…
[ Louis Narrating ] One of my first tasks as partner…
就是约见莱昂内, 他戴着帽子-
Was to interview Lionel, who came cap- –
或者不如说, 手里拿着丝绸帽子
or rather, silk hat in hand.
为了节约时间,我假定你已经打过电♥话♥了, 要求续借你的帐单?
To save time, I presume you have called to ask the renewal of your bill?
事实是,老朋友, 我们卖♥♥了短期的…
The fact is, old boy, we sold short…
而市场没有如我们预期的那样下跌
and the market hasn’t dropped as we expected.
我感觉有资格 指出我们这里…
I feel entitled to point out that we here…
考虑到我们的作用 是鼓励建设性投资…
regard our function as the encouragement of constructive investment…
我们不能投资于 纯粹的赌博性♥交♥易
and not the financing of mere gambling transactions.
啊 –
Ah —
拒绝他使我非常高兴
[ Louis Narrating ] It would have delighted me to refuse him.
不管怎么说,一个破产了的莱昂内 不再能继续…
However, a bankrupt Lionel could hardly have continued…
支持茜贝拉 的奢侈生活…
To support Sibella in her extravagances…
而我自己也不想那么做
And I had no wish to do so myself.
很好,我们会续借… 百分之三点五
Very well. We will renew… at three and a half percent.
我判断现在进行 下一步的时机已经成熟…
[ Louis Narrating ] I judged that the time was now ripe to make a move…
来处理艾迪丝·德·阿斯科内的事情
In the matter of Edith D’Ascoyne.
越来越冷了 我们进去好吗?
It’s becoming cold. Shall we go in?
我知道你刚才为什么颤抖了
I know why you shivered just now.
不是因为你觉得冷
It was not because you were cold.
是的
No.
我不由自主地想起
I couldn’t help remembering.
我知道 但你试过忘记吗?
I know. But do you try to forget?
– 听起来很刺耳,但相信我 – – 请
– I may sound harsh, but believe me — – Please.
不是那里
Not there.
因为那是亨利的椅子
Because it was Henry’s chair.
从那天以后就再也没有用过
It hasn’t been used since that day.
不要动他的任何东西
Nothing of his.
所有东西都象他离开的时候一样 – 他的写字台,他的衣服
Everything is just as he left it — his writing desk, his clothes.
我无法忍♥受它变得不同
I cannot bear that it should be otherwise.
你想把这房♥子变成神殿
You want this house to be a shrine.
你错了 神殿是不适合住人的
You’re wrong. Shrines are not meant to house the living.
我总是很尊敬你 – 你的信条,你的勇气 –
I have always respected you — your principles, your courage —
在我遇到过的所有女人之上
above any woman I’ve ever met.
那是对你自己和其他人的责任 –
It is your duty to yourself and to others —
甚至对亨利的责任 –
to Henry even —
重新为现在和未来生活
to live again in the present, in the future.
我还有什么未来?
What future is there for me?
我现在要说一些专横的话
I am now going to say something presumptuous.
如果你愿意,你一定要在 你的房♥子里命令我
You must order me from your house if you wish.
是这样的:
It is this:
如果你曾经感觉到 一个专一的崇拜者持久的支持…
If you should ever feel that the constant support of a devoted admirer…
会对你有所帮助的话…
would be of assistance to you…
我会非常荣幸, 如果你允许我…
I should be most honored if you would permit me to…
向你伸出婚姻之手
offer you my hand in marriage.
马兹尼先生
Mr. Mazzini.
这是一个震惊
This is a shock.
我非常感动
I’m most touched.
非常感激,但是…
Most grateful, but…
我无法想象哪怕是 一丁点的再婚的可能性
I could not consider even the possibility of remarrying.
我说的太大胆也太快了
I have spoken too boldly and too soon.
请把我刚才说的 仅仅看成是某种引诱…
Please regard what I have said merely as something to draw upon…
如果你感觉有那种倾向的话
should you ever feel so inclined.
当我回去的时候, 茜贝拉在等我
[ Louis Narrating ] Sibella was waiting for me when I got back.
我很高兴见到她, 我从没有喜欢艾迪丝…
I was pleased to see her, for while I never admired Edith…
象喜欢茜贝拉那样…
As much as when I was with Sibella…
但我从没有渴望过茜贝拉 当我和艾迪丝在一起的时候
I never longed for Sibella as much as when I was with Edith.
[ Door Closes ]
我恐怕来晚了 你厌倦了吗?
I’m afraid I’m late. Have you been bored?
没有
No.
我看着火想了想
I’ve been looking into the fire and thinking.
– 想什么? – 哦
– What about? – Oh.
我们曾经怎样在火边烤栗子…
How we used to roast chestnuts round the other fire…
从那时起发生了多少事啊
and what a lot has happened since.
比如?
Such as?
你曾经怎样告诉我不要嫁给莱昂内 因为你有一天可能会成为公爵…
How you told me not to marry Lionel because you might be a duke one day…
而我曾经怎样嘲笑你
and how I laughed at you.
我又怎样嫁给了莱昂内
And how I married Lionel.
而现在你真的快要成为公爵了
And now you really nearly are a duke.
我们比以前富有多了,你和我
We’re much better off as we are, you and I.
对你来说,一切都非常好 你又没有嫁给莱昂内
It’s all very well for you to say that. You’re not married to Lionel.
我们可以在想见的时候彼此相见
We see each other when we want to.
我们不想的时候也不会被迫相见
We’re not obliged to see each other when we don’t want to.
我们没有象我期望的那样经常相见
We don’t see each other as often as I’d like to.
– 你整个周末都不在 – 我必须去
– You’ve been away the whole weekend. – I had to go.
– 哪里? – 去看德·阿斯科内夫人…
– Where? – To see Mrs. D’Ascoyne…
我那个被杀的堂兄的寡妇
the widow of that cousin of mine who was killed.
你所有的堂兄似乎都被杀了
All your cousins seem to get killed.
如果是你谋杀了他们所有人, 我真的一点也不感到吃惊
I really wouldn’t be in the least surprised if you’d murdered them all.
– 哦 – 我多笨啊
– Oh. – How clumsy of me.
– 是什么让你说那个? – 只是愚蠢
– Whatever made you say that? – Just silliness.
哦,如果你保证不告诉任何人, 我就让你知道我的罪恶秘密
Well, if you promise not to tell anyone, I’ll let you in to my guilty secret.
是我杀了他们所有人
– I did murder them all. – [ Chuckles ]
我怀疑了很长时间
I’ve suspected it for a long time.
– 她长什么样? – 谁?
– What’s she like? – Who?
– 德·阿斯科内夫人 – 哦,她是,嗯,高个子,很苗条-
– Mrs. D’Ascoyne. – Oh, she’s, uh, tall, slender
– 漂亮吗? – 是的,我猜有些人会说她很漂亮
– Beautiful? – Yes, I suppose some people would call her beautiful.
– 你会吗? – 我想是吧,我从没有认真想过这个
– Would you? – I suppose so. I never really thought about that.
如果她问你关于我的事情 你会怎么说?
What would you say if she asked you about me?
我会说你是一大堆不理想的 一个完美组合
I’d say that you were a perfect combination of imperfections.
我会说你的鼻子 有点太矮…
I’d say that your nose was just a little too short…
你的嘴巴有点太大…
your mouth just a little too wide…
但你的脸是一个男人梦寐以求的…
but that yours was a face that a man could see in his dreams…
毕生追求
for the whole of his life.
我会说你是愚蠢的,自私的…
I’d say that you were vain, selfish…
残忍♥的,欺诈的
cruel, deceitful.
我会说你是可爱的
I’d say that you were adorable.
我会说你是… 茜贝拉
I’d say that you were… Sibella.
多么精彩的演讲
What a pretty speech.
我是那么想的
I mean it.
来跟我再说一遍
Come and say it to me again.
我会说你的鼻子 有点太矮…
I’d say your nose was just a little too short…
你的嘴,- 是的,你的嘴 – 有点太大
and your mouth –yes, your mouth — just a little too wide.
不久之后,我的老板有一次中风
[ Louis Narrating ] Shortly afterwards, my employer had a stroke.
没有什么可以做的…
There was little that could be done…
医生说他最多还能活一个月
And the doctor gave him a month, at the most, to live.
我很高兴, 他总是对我很仁慈…
I was glad, after all his kindness to me…
让我不必去杀一个老人
That I should not have to kill the old man.
不久我和我的继承权 之间唯一的障碍…
Soon the only obstacle between me and my inheritance…
就是公爵本人了
Would be the duke himself.
我可以说完全没有 处理他的计划…
I could lay no plan for disposing of him…
因为他的生活都在那些厚厚的石墙后面, 我根本不了解
As the life he led within those great stone walls was a closed book to me.
我沮丧地检查这问题好几百遍…
I was gloomily examining the problem for the hundredth time…
当有一天,我在公♥寓♥里等 茜贝拉来拜访的时候
As I awaited one day the expected arrival of Sibella at my apartments.
[ Doorbells Jingling ]
– 下午好,马兹尼先生 – 德·阿斯科内夫人!
– Good afternoon, Mr. Mazzini. – Mrs. D’Ascoyne:!
我正好经过圣詹姆士街…
I was passing through St. James’s…
忽然想到也许我可以趁这个机会来看看你
and thought I would take the opportunity to call on you.
那样明智吗? 我是说,谨慎吗?
Was that wise? Discreet, I mean?
有一些个人环境的惯例必须要遵守
There are some conventions which must be governed by individual circumstance.
当然一个女人去拜访一个 她崇敬的人是安全的
Surely it is safe for a woman to visit a man of your reputation.
我想该崇敬的人是我
It is of your reputation that I’m thinking.
不是不好客,如果你的到访 不会太长的话我会很高兴
Without being inhospitable, I would be happier if your visit were not a long one.
我很感激你的行动的小心翼翼

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!