[ Man ] Thank you, Your Grace.
死者是一家银行的客户…
The deceased was a client of the banking house…
– 你是银行的主席和常务董事 – 是的
– of which you are chairman and managing director. – He was.
在生意交往的通常情况下…
In the normal course of business transactions…
– 他会来你的办公室见你 – 是的
– he would have come to see you at your office. – Yes.
– 而不是,他请你去他的家 – 是的
– Instead of which, he asked you to go to his house. – Yes.
– 而他邀请你去他家谈生意 – 是的
– He invited you to his house to discuss business. – Yes.
而你要法官大人们相信这个?
And you ask Their Lordships to believe that?
– 是的 – 在这个,嗯,谈生意过程中…
– Yes. – In the course of this, uh, business discussion…
他嚎啕痛哭,跪下来 威胁说要自杀
he burst into tears, fell on his knees and threatened suicide.
– 是的 – 那经常发生在谈生意过程中吗?
– Yes. – Is that usual in business discussions?
– 不经常不 – 但在那个时刻发生了
– Not usual. No. – But it happened on this occasion.
– 是的 – 而你要法官大人们相信那个?
– Yes. – And you ask Their Lordships to believe that?
– 是的 – 那么这个,嗯,谈生意…
– Yes. – Then this, uh, business discussion…
变得非常热烈, 开始互相扭打…
became so heated that blows were exchanged…
– 而他试图谋杀你 – 是的
– and he made a murderous attack on you. – Yes.
– 那经常发生在谈生意中吗? – 不
– Is that usual in business discussion? – No.
– 但在那个时刻发生了 – 是的
– But it happened on this occasion. – Yes.
– 而你要法官大人们相信那个? – 是的
– And you ask Their Lordships to believe that? – Yes.
非常好
Very well.
你一定听说过,一个吃醋的丈夫和 他妻子的情夫之间发生殴打的事情吧?
You’ve heard of cases of a jealous husband and his wife’s lover coming to blows?
– 是的 – 经常吗?
– Yes. – Frequently?
那是低俗小说里的陈词滥调
– It is one of the cliches of the cheaper kind of fiction. – [ Spectators Chuckling ]
我提出请你考虑, 在这案子里,它发生了…
I put it to you that, in this case, it happened…
不是在小说里, 而是事实上
not in fiction, but in fact.
– 我提出请你考虑,那没发生 – 我还要再提出请你考虑…
– I put it to you that it did not. – I put it to you further…
由于那时你不知道 你未来妻子的宽容天性…
That being unaware at that time of your future wife’s forgiving nature…
你假定如果你在一桩 离婚官司里被传讯的话…
you assumed that if you were cited in a divorce suit…
那会毁了你的机会…
it would ruin your chances of making this advantageous match…
娶一位富有而漂亮的女士
with a wealthy and beautiful woman.
不,完全不是
No. Not at all.
– 并且,你还计划抛弃霍兰德夫人 – 没有
– Still, you were proposing to discard Mrs. Holland. – No.
即使你准备要娶另一名女士?
Even though you were about to be married to the other lady?
我必须承认对他们的决定 感到非常阴谋
I must confess to feeling quite intrigued as to their decision.
大人们,对你们的问题是这样的:
My lords, the question for Your Lordships is this:
犯人是有罪…
Is the prisoner guilty…
在他被指控的重罪上…
of the felony whereof he stands indicted…
还是无罪?
or not guilty?
有罪,我担♥保♥
Guilty, upon mine honor.
有罪,我担♥保♥
Guilty, upon mine honor.
有罪,我担♥保♥
Guilty, upon mine honor.
我认为我亲爱的妻子来 探望我是适宜的和感动的…
I considered it both seemly and touching that my dear wife should visit me…
如她今天早晨做的那样, 做她的告别
as she did this morning, to make her farewells.
你的到达,另一方面来说, 对我来说是不体面的…
Your arrival, on the other hand, appears to me unseemly…
而且极端的无味
and tasteless in the extreme.
我无法忍♥受想看你最后一眼, 当你给我那样憎恨的一眼…
I couldn’t bear my last sight of you to be that look of hatred you gave me…
当你走出法庭的时候
as you went out from the trial.
鉴于你的证据已经把绞索 套在我脖子上这个事实…
In view of the fact that your evidence had put the rope round my neck…
你很难指望 得到温柔的一瞥
you could hardly expect a glance of warm affection.
– 没有任何希望了吗? – 还能有什么希望?
– Isn’t there any hope? – What hope could there be?
我只是在想
I was only thinking.
审判的时候你问的那个问题…
That question you asked at the trial…
关于莱昂内留下了一张自杀的纸条
about Lionel leaving a suicide note.
假定他做了? 假定那纸条被发现了…
Suppose he did? Suppose that one were found…
即使是现在, 这最后一个晚上?
even now, this last evening?
– 那会是奇迹的滋味 – 奇迹会发生
– It would savor of a miracle. – Miracles can happen.
奇迹应该发生
Miracles could happen.
我明白了
I see.
哦,奇怪,不是吗, 事情是怎么转变的?
Oh. Strange, isn’t it, how things turn out?
好,如果你娶的是我, 而不是艾迪丝 –
Now, if you had married me, instead of Edith —
或者你嫁的是我, 而不是莱昂内
Or you had married me, instead of Lionel.
他可能还活着,而你也不会 在明天早上被吊死
He would still be alive, and you wouldn’t be going to be hanged tomorrow morning.
当然,除非你还谋杀了 别的什么人
[ Chuckles ] Unless, of course, you’ve murdered somebody else.
– 所有这些都离题太远了,不是吗? – 是吗?
– All of which is rather beside the point, isn’t it? – Is it?
你还记得小时候…
Do you remember in the old days…
我们是怎么玩 剪刀,锤子,布的吗?
how we used to play eeny, meeny, miny, mo?
– 抓住一个黑鬼的大脚趾 – 如果他大喊,就让他走,他出局了
– Catch a nigger by his toe. – If he hollers, let him go. Out goes he.
有许多小黑鬼出局了, 不是吗,这样或者那样?
Quite a lot oflittle niggers have gone out, haven’t they, one way or another?
他们中的每一个都是 德·阿斯科内家的人
And every one of them a D’Ascoyne.
嗯,我们家族的人看起来 真的好象是都非常短命
Mmm. We do seem to be a very short-lived family.
当然,艾迪丝只是通过婚姻 才成为了德·阿斯科内家的人…
Of course, Edith is only a D’Ascoyne by marriage…
所以我想 她的前景会好一些
so I suppose her prospects are better.
除非出现一个奇迹
Except for a miracle.
就象我们刚才谈的那一个
Like the other one we were talking about.
那么会有的 她会找到自杀纸条的…
[ Louis Narrating ] So there it was. She would find the suicide note…
如果我,作为回报, 谋杀了艾迪丝
If I, in return, would murder Edith.
那么我们现在脑子里 就有两个奇迹了,是吗?
So we now have two miracles in mind, do we?
是的
Yes.
我在想它们,在某种意义上, 是不是互相关联的?
I wonder if they are, in any way, dependent on each other?
我想也许它们是有关联的
I suppose perhaps they might be.
你认为怎么样?
What do you think?
时间到
Time’s up.
你认为怎么样?
What do you think?
可怜的艾迪丝,我恐怕这会 夺去她很多年的生命
Poor Edith. I’m afraid all this is going to take years off her life.
– 再见,路易 – 再见
– Au revoir, Louis. – Au revoir.
我除了接受以外还能做什么?
[ Louis Narrating ] What could I do but accept?
总之,我总还可以 以后再决定…
After all, I could always decide afterwards…
这两个小黑鬼哪一个 最后必须要走
Which of these two little niggers would finally have to go.
亲爱的艾迪丝
Dear Edith.
迷人的茜贝拉
Captivating Sibella.
她们是多么地不同, 而我又是多么地了解她们
How different they were, and how well I knew each of them.
“或许只是我这么认为吧
[ Reading ] “Or so I thought.
“但是晚上过去了, 什么也没有发生
“But the night has gone by and nothing has happened.
“现在只差几分就到8:00了
“It is now but a few minutes to 8:00.
“我意识到茜贝拉 昨天的来访纯粹只是逗弄我…
“And I realize that Sibella came yesterday merely to tantalize
“燃起我的希望, 然后再毁灭它
“to raise my hopes in order to dash them again.
“和我猜想的有多不同啊
“How unlike me not to have guessed.
但,不管怎么说, 和茜贝拉有多么象啊”
But, after all, how very like Sibella.”
[ Footsteps Approaching ]
已经到了吗?
Already?
我将告诉你时间依然飞逝
I’ll tell you who time gallops withal.
“对于一个梁上君子来说
“With a thief to the gallows.
“虽然他尽量轻轻踏步…
“For though he tread as softly as foot can fall…
他认为自己到那儿太快”
he thinks himself too soon there.”
如果你有任何最后指示 –
If you have any last instructions —
我想,上校,只有 谢谢你的许多关照
I think, Colonel, it only remains to thank you for your many kindnessess.
你不介绍我们的朋友吗?
Won’t you introduce our friend?
艾略特先生, 查尔方特公爵阁下
Mr. Elliott, His Grace, the duke of Chalfont.
早上好,阁下
Good morning, Your Grace.
这不会花太长时间
This won’t take a moment.
首先,如果阁下 原谅我的冒失…
First, if Your Grace will pardon the liberty…
我愿意读一些诗篇…
I should like to read some verses…
是我自己写的, 用于这些忧郁的场合
composed by myself for use on these melancholy occasions.
– 阁下允许吗? – 非常高兴
– Your Grace permits? – With pleasure.
“我的朋友,思考” –
[ Clears Throat ] “My friend, reflect” —
哦哦对不起
Oh. Oh. Pardon.
“阁下,思考
“Your Grace, reflect.
“当临终的呼吸到来…
“While yet of mortal breath some span
“虽然很短,但是留给你…
“however short, is left to thee…
“生与死之间是多么短暂…
“how brief the total span twixt birth and death…
“你在永生的时间多么漫长
“how long thy coming tenure of eternity.
阁下,准备” –
Your Grace, prepare” —
[ Hurried Footsteps Approaching ]
– 上校 – 嗯?
– Colonel. – Hmm?
[ Whispering ]
阁下, 我很高兴地通知你…
Your Grace, I am happy to inform you…
我们刚刚接到内政部的一个电♥话♥
that a telephone communication has just been received from the Home Office.
找到了一张纸条, 毫无疑问是霍兰德先生的笔迹…
A note has been found, undoubtedly in Mr. Holland’s handwriting…
表达了他想自杀的意愿
expressing his intention to commit suicide.
真是一个奇迹
It is a miracle.
是的真♥象♥是一个奇迹
Yes. It is like a miracle.
等待收到进一步指示之前…
Pending receipt of further instructions…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!