Hello, Louis. You look very pleased with yourself.
– 你也是 – 我有消息
– So do you. – I have news.
– 我也有 – 是什么?
– So have I. – What is it?
不,你先说
No, yours first.
莱昂内和我已经定下了 结婚的日子,两个月之后
Lionel and I have fixed a date for our wedding, in two months’ time.
恭喜
My congratulations.
不,我应该恭喜他 我恭维你
No, I should congratulate him. I compliment you.
– 你的呢? – 没有你的那么激动
– Now yours. – Nothing as exciting as yours.
我今天去看阿斯科内·德·阿斯科内勋爵, 我堂弟,你知道
I went today to see Lord Ascoyne D’Ascoyne, my cousin, you know.
你在城里有一间私人银行
He has a private banking house in the city.
他立刻答应以一周 五镑的薪水雇佣我…
He offered me employment at once at five pounds a week…
还有很好的提升的前景
With excellent prospects for promotion.
路易,我很为你高兴
Louis, I’m so glad for you.
– 路易,你还记得吗? – 什么?
– Louis, do you remember? – What?
有一次,在这间屋子里…
Once, in this room…
在我的晚会后-
after my party–
– 我吻了你 – 是的
– I kissed you. – Yes.
而你对我非常可怕
And you were horrible to me.
是的
Yes.
我那时取笑过你, 关于你和德·阿斯科内家的关系
I made fun about you being related to the D’Ascoynes.
对不起
I’m sorry.
你现在愿意认真考虑了?
You’ll take it more seriously now?
是的
Yes.
路易,亲亲我…
Louis, kiss me…
来证明你已经原谅我了
to show you’ve forgiven me.
不,那样是不对的 你已经抵押给莱昂内
No, it would be wrong. You’re pledged to Lionel.
那天晚上我表现的象个无赖
I behaved like a cad that night.
我喜欢你表现的象个无赖
I like you when you behave like a cad.
## [ Continues ]
你以后还会经常跳舞,茜贝拉…
You’re a person who must dance through life, Sibella…
我希望莱昂内不要经常踩你的脚
and I hope Lionel won’t tread on your feet too often.
我的新职业已经 够低贱的了…
[ Louis Narrating ] My new employment was humble enough…
但在我爬上去之前, 还要测试一下梯子的踏脚
But I had to test the rungs of the ladder before I could climb it.
– 哦 – 好 –
– Oh. – Well —
– 那真是非常好 – 哦 –
– That’s very nice. – Oh — [ Clears Throat ]
下一个要干掉的候选人似乎是 年轻的亨利·德·阿斯科内…
[ Louis Narrating ] The next candidate for removal seemed to be young Henry D’Ascoyne…
24岁,刚刚结婚…
24 years old, recently married…
至今,没有任何问题
As yet, without issue.
如今我已经拥有了相当多的 关于德·阿斯科内的数据的积累…
I had quite an accumulation by now of D’Ascoyne data…
是从报纸和杂♥志♥精选出来的…
Culled from newspapers and periodicals…
我从中间寻找 一种接近亨利的方法
And I looked through it for a possible approach to Henry.
我找到了一个
I found one.
我买♥♥了必需的设备, 二手的…
I bought the necessary equipment, secondhand…
接下来的周末 就骑自行车去那里
And bicycled down the following weekend.
那一周我研究了 几本摄影手册…
I had studied a couple of photographic manuals during the week…
发现,实际上, 照相机的神秘…
And found that, in practice, the mysteries of the camera…
只需要一点普通智力…
Demand a little more than ordinary intelligence…
再加上能上下颠倒地 判断主题的能力
Plus the ability to judge the subject upside-down.
事实上,就是这样, 我第一次见到了亨利·德·阿斯科内
It was thus, indeed, that I first saw Henry D’Ascoyne.
我接近的方法被证明 取得了立即的成功
My method of approach proved an instantaneous success.
对不起 那是一部索顿·皮卡德吗?
Excuse me. Isn’t that a Thornton Pickard?
是的,你是一名摄影师吗?
Yes. Are you a photographer?
刚刚涉足 有一部桑哥·谢菲尔德
Dabble in it. Got a Sanger Shepherd.
– 一部桑哥·谢菲尔德? – 很棒的小相机
– A Sanger Shepherd? – Nice little camera.
焦平面快门, 快速直线等等
Focal plane shutter, rapid rectilinear and all that.
看这里,来我的房♥子怎么样, 我让你看看它?
Look here. Why not come up to my house, and I’ll show it to you?
哦,我非常感兴趣
Well, I’d be most interested.
– 顺便说一下,我的名字是德·阿斯科内 – 我叫马兹尼
– My name’s D’Ascoyne, by the way. – Mine is Mazzini.
他看起来是一个非常快乐的家伙…
[ Louis Narrating ] He seemed a very pleasant fellow…
我遗憾我们的相识只能如此短暂
And I regretted that our acquaintanceship must be so short.
把一个制陶的棚屋改造成了暗室
Had one of the potting sheds fixed up as a darkroom.
再合适不过了, 就象是为这个打造的一样
Couldn’t have suited better if it had been built for it.
设备都是从城里送来的
Had the equipment sent down from town.
我必须说结果 绝对是第一流的
And I must say the results have been absolutely top-hole.
我来给你看一些 我拍的村子的照片
I’ll show you some quarter-plates I’ve taken about the village.
在这里 绝对地防光,除了这个
There we are. Absolutely lightproof, except for this.
一切都很顺手 – 显影液盘子在这里, 调色盘在这里,整版放大器
Everything to hand — developing dishes here, toning bath here, whole-plate enlarger.
– 非常好 – 还不错,是吗?
– Perfect. – Not too bad, is it?
谈到村子,顺便说一下, 我不知道你是否想过…
Talking of the village, by the by, I don’t know if you’re thinking…
把你的作品送到一些期刊去…
of sending any of your efforts here to some periodical…
但只有一件事
but there’s just one thing.
我肯定你是一个好人, 否则我就不会问了
I’m sure you’re a good fellow, or I wouldn’t like to ask.
问什么?
Ask what?
如果你能把你照的最后一张 保留的话,我会非常感激
I’d be most grateful if you’d keep back that last plate you exposed.
– 小旅馆那张?但那张很不错 – 是的
– The inn? But it was delightful. – Yes.
事实是,我妻子对 那样的地方有看法…
The fact is, my wife has views about such places…
所以我从不进去,你明白吗?
so I never go in them, you understand?
当然,我不想困扰你
Naturally, I wouldn’t dream of embarrassing you.
我知道你是一个好人 也许我们可以喝一杯?
I knew you were a good fellow. Suppose we drink on it?
除非你有别的想法,当然
Unless you have views yourself, of course.
– 没有 – 太好了
– None. – Splendid.
喝什么呢? 雪利?威士忌?
What shall it be? Sherry? Whiskey?
[ Chuckles ]
我想来点显影液
I think a small developer.
从亨利嘴里听到的他妻子的形象…
[ Louis Narrating ] The mental picture of his wife that I had formed from Henry’s words…
让我对即将遇到的 这个女人毫无准备
Left me unprepared for the charm of the woman I was to meet.
她长的又高又瘦, 非常纯洁而美丽
She was as tall and slender as a lily and as beautiful.
亲爱的,这是马兹尼先生 他有一部索顿·皮卡德相机
My dear, this is Mr. Mazzini. He has a Thornton Pickard.
马兹尼先生,我妻子
Mr. Mazzini, my wife.
我本人不是摄影师, 马兹尼先生…
I’m no photographer myself, Mr. Mazzini…
但我分享我丈夫欢迎同好的乐趣
but I share my husband’s pleasure in welcoming a fellow enthusiast.
– 你要来点雪利酒吗? – 哦,谢谢,我 –
– You’ll take some sherry? – Well, thank you, I —
我丈夫和我从不碰白酒, 但我们认为没有理由,由于这个…
My husband and I never touch alcohol, but we see no reason, on that account…
而把我们的观点 强加给我们的客人
– to enforce our views on our guests. – [ Door Closes ]
来一杯雪利酒,哈伍德
Glass of sherry, Harwood.
我有一些印象框扔在太阳下了
I have some printing frames out in the sun.
如果你不介意, 我现在就跑出去看看它们
If you don’t mind, I’ll just run out and see to them.
你做我们的邻居时间长吗, 马兹尼先生?
Have you been in the neighborhood long, Mr. Mazzini?
只有几个小时
A few hours only.
我在村子里转转…
I was cycling through the village…
被迫停下来 研究一下小旅馆
and felt compelled to stop and make a study or two of the inn.
– 它看起来非常迷人 – 它看起来的确迷人
– It looked so charming. – It does look charming.
但我恐怕,它对我们住在 这儿的人起不到一点好的影响
But I’m afraid it’s, by no means, an influence for good in the lives of our people here.
店主是我们以前的一个马车夫
The landlord is a former coachman of ours.
我对他谈过很多次 关于那里的喝酒问题…
I have spoken to him several times about the amount of drinking that goes on there…
但他置若罔闻
but he continues to allow it.
我猜,不管怎么说, 那是他的生意
It is, after all, I suppose, his livelihood.
我不认为他有权 用这种办法谋生…
I do not consider he has the right to make a livelihood…
利用他那些同好的 弱点来剥削别人
by exploiting the weaknesses of his fellow men.
不管怎么说, 这听起来很可叹
Put as you put it, it does sound deplorable.
那是很可叹 对不起,等一下
It is deplorable. Will you excuse me a moment?
哈伍德
Harwood.
我能完全理解 亨利对乡村酒店的拜访…
[ Louis Narrating ] I could well understand Henry’s visits to the village inn…
以及他花费在 暗房♥里的精力
And his stock of refreshments in the darkroom.
德·阿斯科内夫人虽然很美丽, 但她太一本正经了
Mrs. D’Ascoyne was beautiful, but what a prig she was.
我琢磨怎么样迎合她…
I wondered how to ingratiate myself with her…
最后决定直接用她自己的 武器进攻她的战场
And decided to attack on her own ground and with her own weapons.
恐怕我们只能给你 提供一顿便餐,马兹尼先生
I’m afraid we can offer you only a simple luncheon, Mr. Mazzini.
你们非常好心, 但我觉得我不应该打扰你们
You are most kind, but I feel I should not intrude.
– 这不是打扰 – 恐怕是的
– It is no intrusion. – I’m afraid it is.
– 我可以解释吗? – 请吧
– May I explain? – Please do.
只是当你丈夫告诉我 他的名字的时候…
It was only when your husband told me his name…
我才意识到我偶然 陷入到最尴尬的处境
that I realized that I’d come by chance into the most embarrassing situation.
我母亲是德·阿斯科内 家族的一员
My mother was a member of the D’Ascoyne family.
她嫁给了,他们所认为的, 比她等级低的人
She married, as they thought, beneath her.
从那天起, 他们拒绝承认她…
And from that day, they refused to recognize her…
以及我的存在
or my existence.
我感觉,虽然在这种环境下, 你可能不愿当面对我说…
I feel that, although in the circumstances you might hesitate to say so to my face…
你和你丈夫不愿意 在你们的餐桌上接受我
you and your husband would prefer not to receive me at your table.
也许你能够好心向你丈夫解释我的事情
Perhaps you would be good enough to explain matters to your husband for me.
我会,自然而然地, 马上离开这里
I shall, naturally, leave the neighborhood at once.
马兹尼先生,请坐下

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!