爸爸是每个人心中的偶像 不是吗
Everyone idolizes their dad, right?
我不知道 是吗
I don’t know. Do they?
也不尽然
Very much not.
不知道我刚刚为什么这么说
Don’t know why I said that.
但我妻子 琳达 就是这样
But my wife, Linda, does.
哈兰用一部生锈的打字机开始了写作
Harlan started out with a rusty Smith Corona
最终成为了
and built himself into
史上最畅销的推理小说作家之一
one of the best-selling mystery writers of all time.
他的孩子们似乎也都白手起家 功成名就
Seems like all his kids are self-made overachievers.
当然
Sure.
在此声明 与我对话的是沃尔特·斯隆贝
For the record, I’m speaking with Walt Thrombey,
沃尔特
哈兰·斯隆贝最小的儿子
Harlan Thrombey’s youngest son.
你父亲的出版公♥司♥是你在经营吗
So, you run your father’s publishing company?
是的 这是我的…我们的…
Yeah. It’s my… It’s our…
是家族的出版公♥司♥
It’s the family’s publishing company.
爸爸信任我的经营能力
Dad trusts me to run it.
三十种语言
Thirty languages.
总销量超过八千万本 真正地泽被后世
Over 80 million copies sold. A real legacy.
你们是他的书迷吗
You guys fans?
我不是很爱看小说 但是…
I mean, I don’t do much fiction reading myself, but…
忠实书迷 我是他的忠实书迷
Big fan. I’m a big fan.
他笔下的情节就像…
I mean, his plots are just like…
我就不给你剧透了 但是…
Like, I won’t spoil it for you but…
就比如《千支利刃》
Okay, like Thousand Knives?
还有《奶牛和猎枪》
The Cow and the Shotgun?
这些情节都是怎么想出来的
Like, where do you come up with that?
爸爸说这些情节
Well, dad said the plots just
都是完整地从他脑中蹦出来的
popped into his head, fully formed.
这对他来说很容易
It was the easy part for him.
你当晚也在场 对吗
So you’re in the area, right?
你们可能都是差不多时间到的
You guys probably arrived around the same time.
我们都是八点左右到的
We all got here around 8:00.
我妻子 唐娜 她是我的主心骨
My wife, Donna, she’s my rock.
我的天 唐娜 你没事吧
Jesus, Donna! Are you all right?
我儿子 雅各布 十六岁
My son, Jacob, he’s 16.
在政♥治♥方面非常活跃
Very politically active.
那孩子就是个不折不扣的纳粹
The boy is literally a Nazi.
他就是个另类右♥派♥键盘侠
He’s an alt-right troll dipshit.
现在的孩子有了互联网 都非同小可
Kids today with the Internet, it’s amazing.
所以那晚一切都挺好的
So the night went well?
我们当然都很伤心 但是
I mean, we’re all gutted, but,
我很高兴能跟他一起度过那样一晚
I was happy to have that night with him.
能陪在他身边 回想我们的书
To be by his side. To think about our books
以及我们凭借它们赢得的一切
and what we’ve accomplished with them.
我仿佛还能感觉到他的手放在我的肩膀上
It’s like I can still feel his hand on my shoulder.
把他的火炬传承给我
Passing the torch.
现在这位是琼妮·斯隆贝
So, we’re here with Joni Thrombey,
琼妮
哈兰·斯隆贝的儿媳
Harlan Thrombey’s daughter-in-law?
是的 我嫁给了他儿子 尼尔
Yeah, I married his son, Neil.
我们有一个女儿 梅格
We had one daughter, Meg.
后来 尼尔十五年前去世了
And then Neil passed on 15 years ago.
但你仍然跟斯隆贝家的人很亲近
But you remained close to the Thrombeys?
他们就是我的家人
They’re my family.
他们既让我感到自♥由♥
I feel simultaneously freed by
又让我感到被支持着
and supported by them.
这种对立的平衡正是弗拉姆的可贵之处
It’s that balance of opposites that’s the nugget of Flam.
抱歉 什么的可贵之处…
Sorry, the nugget of…
弗拉姆
Flam.
想起来了 弗拉姆 你的护肤公♥司♥ 抱歉
Yeah, Flam, your skincare company. Sorry.
我原谅你了
I forgive you.
是的 是做护肤的
Yeah, it’s skincare,
但它推崇的是一整套生活方式
but it promotes a total lifestyle.
通过承认自身需求来自给自足
Self-sufficiency with an acknowledgement of human need.
这就是弗拉姆
That’s Flam.
但它也是哈兰的理念
But it’s also Harlan.
他帮我和梅格撑过了一些很艰难的日子
He got me and Meg through some tough times.
爷爷按年给我妈生活费
Grandad gives my mom a yearly allowance
梅格
而且他从来没有忘记
and he’s never missed wiring
帮我把学费汇给学校
a tuition payment to my schools.
他是个非常无私的人
He’s a genuinely selfless man.
但你却提前离开了派对
But you left the party early?
好好玩
Have fun.
去史密斯那里见几个朋友
To see some friends at Smith.
你知道爸爸出钱供她念什么
You know dad pays for her
秘密马♥克♥思♥主义后解构
crypto-Marxist-post-deconstructural-
女权诗歌♥理论什么的专业吗
feminist-poetry-theory-whatever major?
她明明可以留下来吃完蛋糕再走的
She could have stuck around for the cake.
我觉得琳达不太高兴
I think Linda was upset.
但哈兰很理解
But Harlan understood.
好吧
Right.
你俩差不多是同一时间出现在派对上的
You two showed up to the party around the same time…
能暂停一下吗
If I could pause?
我实在…
Because I just…
那人到底是谁啊
Who is that guy?
而且为什么又要这样再来一次
And why are we doing all this again?
只是一些后续提问
This is just some follow-up questions.
我们想调查得彻底些
Um, we’re attempting to be thorough,
好查明死因
so we can figure out the manner of death.
你说”死因” 意思是可能是有人杀了他
So by “manner of death,” you mean if someone killed him?
可能是我们中的一个杀了他
If one of us killed him?
-他的某个家人杀了他 -不 沃尔特 不
– One of his family killed him? – No, no, Walt, Walt, no, no…
你是那个意思吗 警督
Is that what you’re suggesting, Lieutenant?
没人那么说 好吗
No one’s saying that, okay?
这都是例行公事
This is all pro-forma.
好吧
Okay.
所以那人他妈是谁
So who the fuck is that?
这位是贝努瓦·布兰克
This is Benoit Blanc.
-贝努瓦·布兰克 -是的
– Benoit Blanc? – Yes.
布兰克先生是位颇负盛名的私♥家♥侦♥探♥
Mr. Blanc is a private investigator of great renown.
等等
Wait a minute.
我在推特上看过《纽约客》关于你的一篇文章
I read a tweet about a New Yorker article about you.
《最后一位绅士侦探》
“The Last of the Gentlemen Sleuths.”
你破了网球冠军那个案子
You solved that case with the tennis champ?
你很有名
You’re famous.
布兰克先生不是警局的人
Mr. Blanc is not with the police department
也没有正式参与这个案子
and not officially involved in the case,
但他会作为顾问提供意见
but he’s offered to consult.
我很荣幸 我也可以为他担♥保♥
Now, I happily obliged, and I can vouch for him.
布兰克先生 我知道你是谁
Mr. Blanc, I know who you are.
我在《纽约客》上读过你的简介
I read your profile in the New Yorker.
我非常喜欢
I found it delightful.
我刚埋葬了我85岁的父亲
I just buried my 85-year-old father
他是自杀身亡的
who committed suicide.
你所来为何
Why are you here?
我是受一名客户的委托而来的
I’m here at the behest of a client.

Who?
恕难奉告
I cannot say.
但我可以向你保证
But let me assure you this.
我在这里只是个装饰
My presence will be ornamental.
你将发现我是个心怀敬意的
You will find me a respectful,
安静的 被动的
quiet, passive observer
真♥相♥观察者
of the truth.
好吧
Fine.
那找到真♥相♥了吗
Are we getting there?
快了
Nearly.
哈兰的护士 她也出席了派对
Harlan’s nurse, she was at the party
是为了提供专业服务吗
in a professional capacity?
玛塔
Marta?
应该是吧

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!