他还是幕后的那只手,不是吗?
He’s still running the show, ain’t he?
晚餐时我不想谈这种话题
I won’t have conversation of this sortcarried on at dinner.
你为何不听听他们说什么?
Why don’t you listen to themfor a change?
无疑的他们很简单就能替我决定指派
No doubt they can makethis appointment for me with ease.
很简单杰佛森·史密斯
That’s easy. Jefferson Smith.I beg your pardon?
你说什么?
Jefferson Smith.He’s the only senator to have.
他是唯一议员的人选
他该当总统
He ought to be President.
我喜欢杰夫·史密斯
I like Jeff Smith.Me too.
你也是?现在大家都说过了
You too?Now everybody’s been heard from.
原谅我的无知我没听过他
Forgive my ignorance, but I don’t knowhim from a hole in the ground.
– 童子军的指挥官!- 一个小朋友?
Gosh, head of the Boy Rangers!Oh, a boy?
不,爸,杰夫是个大人杰夫·史密斯
No, Dad. Jeff’s a man. Jeff Smith.
他是我们最棒的野外游戏专家
Biggest expert we got in wild game…
他现在是我们最伟大的英雄
Right now he’s the greatest herowe ever had.
都在头条上
It’s all over the headlines.
你没看到在甜水镇附近的森林大火的新闻?
Didn’t you see about the forest fireall around Sweetwater?
有,是什么事?
I did. What about it?
– 杰夫自己扑灭的- 他自己?
Jeff put that out himself.Himself?
如果你真的要个议员
If you really want a senator…I do not want a senator.
我不要议员
我不要再听一些胡说八道
I do not want any more nonsense.He’s the greatest American we got.
他是我们最优秀的美国人
他可以背出乔治华盛顿的教条
He can tell youwhat George Washington said, by heart.
纪事有最棒的内容
And Stuff has the swellest stuff in it.What “stuff”?
什么“纪事”?
Boys’ Stuff. The name of Jeff’s paper.He prints it. Look, here’s one.
童军纪事是杰夫办的报纸的名字
他印的,看这里有一份
大家都阅读
It’s great. Everybody reads it.
全国一百万的小孩让我念
All the kids in the state.A million of them. Let me read…
我没心情听小孩子的闲扯
I’m in no moodto listen to childish prattle.
闲扯?
CHILDREN: Prattle?You’re all wet.
你真不争气
You couldn’t do better.
你没有办法做得更好
Better than what?Jeff for senator.
– 比什么更好?- “选杰夫当议员”
艾玛,拜托!
Emma, if you please!Want to get out of a pickle, don’t you?
想要脱离困境,不是吗?
一直在找票源,不是吗?
Always looking for votes, aren’t you?
这里有五万个小孩每个人的双亲都会投票
Here’s 50,000 kids, two folks each,and they vote.
如果你要替这州做点好事
If you want to do some goodin this state…
如果你像个男人一样挺身而出
If you’re ever going to stand uplike a man…
够了!
That settles it!
我不会在自己家里被自己的小孩看扁
I won’t be belittled by my own childrenin my own home.
我已经快要忍♥无可忍♥了!
All my nerves are strainedto the breaking point!
亨利·希尔
EMMA: Oh, Shubert.Henry Hill…
贺瑞斯·米勒
Horace Miller…
米勒?希尔?
Miller? Hill?
希尔?
Hill? Miller?
米勒?
正面,希尔
Heads, Hill.
反面,米勒
Tails, Miller.
[COIN DROPS]
市民感谢杰夫·史密斯
甜水镇的英雄森林大火
这样已经够好了
That’s good enough for me.
童子军总部
[MARCHING MUSICPLAYING LOUDLY]
晚安
Good evening.Oh.
杰佛森·史密斯在吗?
Is Jefferson Smith at home?
请进
Won’t you step in?
州长提名青年领导者进入美国参议院
史密斯的任命政♥治♥上的惊喜
– 童子军进入美国参议会?- 听着
A Boy Ranger to the U.S. Senate?Listen.
史上最简单的人一个天真的爱国志士
The simpleton of all times.A big-eyed patriot.
非常熟悉林肯与华盛顿的教条
Knows Lincolnand Washington by heart.
会在州长出现时立正
Stands at attentionin the governor’s presence.
救援走失的孩子与小猫
Collects stray boys and cats.
他做什么?
He does what?
你知道,很完美的人
You know, a perfect man.
在他一生中从没接触过政♥治♥
Never in politics in his life.
二年内都弄不清楚更别说是二个月
Wouldn’t know what it’s all aboutin 2 years, let alone 2 months.
重要的是
The important thing,
这天才的一步棋
this was the genius of the stroke,
就是票源
it means votes.
五万小个孩子和十万个成人眼中的英雄
The hero of 50,000 boysand 100,000 parents.
看看这些恭贺的信函
Look over those congratulationspouring in.
我告诉你们,各位
I tell you, gentlemen…
你没问我就做这个任命
You made this appointmentwithout asking me.
– 是灵光一现- 你没问过我
When lightning strikes…
You didn’t ask me.Oh, Jim!
等等,吉姆
Now wait a minute, Jim.
黑皮可能抓到重点
Happy may havehit on something here.
你看吧?
There, you see?
你真的认为你在华盛顿能控制他?
Do you really think you canhandle him in Washington?
你认为没关系?
Do you think it’s all right?
我认为没关系
I think it’s all right.
一个谨遵
A young patriot,
林肯和杰佛森教条的爱国青年
recites Lincoln and Jefferson,
在我们首都中被放纵
turned loose in our nation’s capitol.
Yeah, I think it’s all right.
我想没关系
切克
Chick.
告诉宣传部的人这是前所未有最好的任命
Turn the ballyhoo boys loose.It’s the greatest appointment ever made.Give a banquet and declare a holiday.
举办宴会宣布放假庆祝
一场爱国的宴会!
A star-spangled banquet!Wow.
[THE “STAR-SPANGLED BANNER”PLAYING]
[AUDIENCE CHEERINGAND APPLAUDING]
你的州长怎么赠与这份荣耀的?
HOPPER:And how did your governorconfer that honor?
他有没有逗有钱人开心?
Did he give it to some wealthycitizen, merely to curry favor?
不!
CROWD: No!HOPPER: No!
他有没有给一些没有价值的政客一点赠与?
Did he give it to someunworthy political hireling?
CROWD:No!
他做了什么?
HOPPER:No! What did he do?
他走下去
He went down
接近大众
among the people.
他发现了
And there he found…
一个金块
a nugget.
[CROWD APPLAUDING]
今晚我们在这里就是为了
It is in that spiritthat we’re here tonight
祝贺
to acclaim and wish Godspeedto Senator…
杰佛森·史密斯议员
Jefferson Smith.
[CROWD APPLAUDINGAND BAND PLAYING]
谢谢你
Thank you.
Uh…
我不得不觉得
I can’t help feeling
这是个很大的错误
that there’s been a big mistakesomehow.
[CROWD LAUGHING]
当然,我不懂
Of course, I never could see
为何我们这一州需要两个议员
why we needed two senatorsfrom this state
当我们已经有了乔瑟夫·哈里逊·潘恩
when we have a man likeJoseph Harrison Paine
代表我们
representing us.
[CROWD APPLAUDING]
他不记得我了
He doesn’t remember me.
他跟我父亲很熟
He knew my father very well.
克莱顿·史密斯
Clayton Smith.
他们
They…
曾经是同学
went to school together.They were very good friends.
他们曾是好朋友
[JEFF MUMBLING]
光是跟他坐在这里
Just to sit here with him
我就觉得非常光荣
is a very great honor for me
因为我记得爸爸曾经告诉我
because I remember Dadused to tell me that
乔·潘恩是他所知道最好的人
Joe Paine was the finest manhe ever knew.
[CROWD APPLAUDINGAND CHEERING]
起来,鞠躬!
Go on, get up. Take a bow!
议员,我想我在华盛顿帮不了你什么忙
I don’t think I’ll be much help to youdown there in Washington, senator.
但我会尽力
[CROWD LAUGHING]
I’ll do my best.
在我的能力之下
Although with all my might,
我能答应你一件事
I can promise you one thing:
我不会做出让美国参议院
I’ll do nothing to disgracethe office of
觉得羞耻的事情
United States Senate.
[CROWD CHEERINGAND MARCHING BAND PLAYING]
[BLOWS WHISTLE]
[CROWD APPLAUDING]
[BLOWS WHISTLE]
杰佛森·史密斯议员
Senator Jefferson Smith,
童子军非常骄傲的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!