PAINE:Meet the majority leader.He’ll be a good friend to you.
他会是你的好朋友
How do you do, sir?
你好,先生?
Any friend of Joe’sis a friend of mine.
任何乔的朋友都是我的朋友
别担心其他的人他们只是议员
Don’t worry about the others,they’re just senators.
[CHUCKLES]
– 主席先生- 麦克佛逊议员
MACPHERSON: Mr. President.PRESIDENT: Senator MacPherson.
预算不足议案这样被延后
MACPHERSON:The shameless way theDeficiency Bill has been delayed
是可耻的行为
is nothing short of criminal.
政♥府♥机关非常需要这些基金
Government agencies arein desperate need of these funds.
这件事的首要任务就是马上通过
The prime business of this bodyis the immediate passage…
[???]
[INAUDIBLE DIALOGUE]
华盛顿国立报社
– 碎嘴,谁让你进来?- 你为什么不去追救护车?
Hello, Nosey. Who let you in here?Why aren’t you chasing ambulances?
史密斯见人就打我刚逃开
Smith’s punching everybodyhe meets. I just got away.
泰山!
Uh-oh. Tarzan!
[CHATTERING]
各位,见过史密斯议员
Boys, meet Senator Smith.
[ALL LAUGHING]
你好像有心事
You act likesomething’s on your mind.
你何不告诉市民真♥相♥?
Why don’t you tell the peoplethe truth?
– 真♥相♥?- 他要真♥相♥!
MAN: The truth?MEN: He wants the truth!
这个人要真♥相♥
The man wants the truth.
“什么是真♥相♥?”比拉多嘻笑的说
“‘What is the truth? ‘said jesting Pilate,
而不能留下来等答案
and would not stay for an answer.”
你要哪种方式?公开的还是密封的?
How do you want it?Dished out or in a bottle?
市民看报纸看的是什么?
People pick up their papers,and what do they read?
早上他们看见一个小丑到华盛顿
This morning they read thata clown arrived in Washington,
像是议员的成员在游♥行♥
parading likea member of the Senate.
[MEN LAUGHING & CHATTERING]
你们该用想小聪明的时间花在诚实方面
If you thought as much about beinghonest as you do about being smart…
我们是唯一能据实告知投票者的人
We’re the only ones who canbe honest in what we tell the voters.
我们不像政客一样需要连任
We don’t have to be re-elected,like politicians.
当骗子和神经病要来这里立法时我们会告诉他们
We tell them when phonies andcrackpots come here to make their laws.
如果你要真♥相♥你为什么在议院?
If you want the truth,why are you in the Senate?
你懂什么是立法?或是人♥民♥需要什么?
What do you knowabout making laws?Or what the people need?
我不会假装知道
I don’t pretend to know.Then what are you doing in the Senate?
那你在议院干嘛?
What’s he doing?Why, honorary appointment!
他在干嘛?是荣誉任命!
[ALL LAUGHING]
当国家前所未有的需要一个智勇双全的人时
When the country needs men who knowand have courage as it never did before.
他只要懂得坐在那椅子上就会受到尊重
He’s going to decorate a chairand get honored.
但他也会投票!就像他同事告诉他的一样
MAN:But he’ll vote! Just likehis colleague tells him to.
像只圣诞节的老虎他会投票而且点头说
Like a Christmas tiger,he’ll nod his head and vote
“是!”
ALL:”Yes!”
你不是议员
You’re not a senator.
你只是挂名的傀儡你该被暴露的
You’re an honorary stooge.You ought to be shown up.
喝一杯,议员?
Have a drink, senator?MAN: It’ll taste better than the truth.
比真♥相♥要好喝得多
[ALL LAUGHING]
嗨,议员
Hey, senator.
别让这个打垮你
Don’t let it get you down.
一百年后没有人会知道这个不同
A hundred years from now,nobody’ll know the difference.
重点是,先生,他们是对的
JEFF:The point is, sir, they’re right.
我只是坐在议院装饰椅子
I’m just sitting in the Senate,decorating a chair.
如果我要投票我要研究提出的议案
If I’m going to vote, I oughtto study the bills that are coming up.
议案?
The bills?
是的,不然我就跟他们说的一样像只圣诞节老虎
Yes, sir. Otherwise, I’m justa Christmas tiger, like they said.
这些议案是学习法律的专业人士经过长时间研究才提出的
These bills are put togetherby legal minds after long study.
我自己都了解不到一半而且我曾是个律师
I can’t understand half of themmyself, and I was a lawyer.
算了,忘记吧
Come on. Forget it. When the timecomes, I’ll advise you how to vote.
我告诉你怎么投票
我知道你会正如他们说的
I know you will. That’s the point.
我没有道理要在这里
There’s no reasonfor me to be here.
你不是说要建立一个国立儿童营?
Didn’t you say somethingabout wanting to createa national boys’ camp?
– 你很诚心,对不对?- 是的,我很诚心
You were in earnest, weren’t you?Yes, I was.
你为什么不做?最适合你了
Why don’t you do it?There’s a job for you.
开始写议案然后呈给议会
Get a bill started.Present it to Congress.
会是个很棒的经验
It will be great experience.
潘恩议员,我很希望告诉你
Senator Paine,I’ve been aching to mention it to you.
如果我在这里能够做那件事我会觉得
If I could do that one thingwhile I’m here, I’d feel…
为什么要阻止你?桑德斯会帮你
What’s to stop you?Saunders will help you.
好,我做我做!
Well, I’ll do it. I will!
我知道只有你能帮我
I knew if anyone could help me,you could.
再次谢谢你抽空见我
Thank you again for your time.Good night.
晚安
Where are you running off to?
你要跑到哪去?
我想马上回办公室
I’m anxious to get back to the office.SUSAN: Father.
在头条的人!
Oh. The man on the front page!
– 他刚刚过来- 你好,议员?
He just dropped in for a minute.How do you do, senator?
你好,潘恩小姐?
How do you do,Miss Paine?
我正要去办公室
I’m on my way to the office.
– 鸽子怎么样?- 它们很好
How are the pigeons?They’re fine.
我想念这些小东西
I miss the dear little things.
我今早放了一只信鸽走
I released one this morning with a letter.
它一直飞向空中去找对他的位置
He flew right straight up in the airto get his bearings.
它绕着国会大厦园顶然后往西飞,像只蝙蝠
He went around the Capitol dome,then headed west, like a bat out of…
就像发射一把步♥枪♥一样
Just like a rifle shot.
我想这个时候
I suppose by about this time,
它可能飞过肯德基州
he’s probably over Kentucky.
不是很棒吗,爸?
Isn’t that wonderful,Father?
给你女朋友的一封信?
And was the letterto your girl?
不,我没有女朋友
No, I don’t have a girl.
你不觉得我最好替你拿着吗?
Don’t you think I’d betterhold this for you?
不,我想我得走了
No, I think I’d better go.
晚安
Good night.
可恶!
Doggone!
没关系,先生
It’s all right, sir.
没关系,小子没关系
That’s all right, my boy.Don’t bother.
老天,真是抱歉
Gee, I’m sorry.
晚安
Good night.Good night, Jeff.
晚安,杰夫
SUSAN:Good night.
晚安
[LAUGHS]
爸!
Oh, Father!
老天!
Dear me!At the expense of some of the furniture,
从傢俱上的花费可见
你又征服了一个
you’ve made another conquest.Not old Honest Abe!
不要说是林肯先生!
And with Honest Abe’s ideals.
还有林肯的理想
现在这种人很少了,苏珊
A rare man these days, Susan.
我们马上开始
We’re going ahead with it.Ahead with what?
开始什么?
My bill for a national boys’ camp.Where’s my briefcase?
我的提案是国立儿童营
我的公事包呢?
Do I understandthat you’re going to present a bill?
你是说
你要提议案?
Senator Paine and I decided…
潘恩议员和我决定
潘恩议员跟你一起决定?
Senator Paine decided with you?
我早该想到
I should havebeen the one to think of it.
我亲爱的议员
My dear senator, have you the faintestidea how to get a bill passed?
你懂不懂一个议案如何会通过?
不,你要帮我
No. You’re going to help me.
如果我是三头六臂,我可以帮你
If I were triplets I could.
潘恩议员说你会帮我
Senator Paine said you’d help me.
我们需要什么?
What do we have to have?
你介不介意
Look, do you mind
让我先告诉你你要面对些什么?
if I give you a rough ideawhat you’re up against?
不介意,请说
No, go ahead.
Well, a senator has a bill in mind,like your camp, right?
一个议员心里有个议案例如你这个营,对吗?
他要做什么?
Right.Fine. What does he do?
他要坐下来写
He has to sit down and write it.
原因,时间,地点,方法以及其他一切种种
The why, when, where,how and everything else.
很花时间
That takes time.But this one is so simple.
但这个很简单
Oh, I see. This one’s simple.
我懂了,这个很简单
And with your help…Oh, I’m helping.
– 有你的帮忙- 对,我在帮忙
简单在加上我的帮忙
Simple, and I’m helping, so we knock itoff in record time, say three or four days.
所以我们就打破记录把它三、四天就写出来
一天
Oh, a day.
– 一天?- 对,今天晚上
A day?Yes, just tonight.
今天晚上

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!