的确是很多废话没错
That’s certainly a lot of junk, all right.
– 听着,议员- 我不知道
Now look, senator…I don’t know,
对我而言这是个全新的世界
this is a whole new world to me.
当像乔瑟夫·潘恩议员
What are you going to believe in…
这样的人起来发誓说我抢了小孩的一分一角
when a man like Senator Joseph Painegets up and swears
你要相信什么?
that I’ve been robbingkids of nickels and dimes?
我这一生最景仰尊敬的人
A man I’ve admiredand worshiped all my life.
我不知道
I don’t know.
这里有很多好听的话
A lot of fancy words in this town.
有些刻在石头有些
Some of them are carved in stone,some of them…
我想泰勒和潘恩把他们刻在那里好让像我这样的傻瓜去看
Guess the Taylors and Painesput them up there
so suckers like me can read them.
当你发现到大家真正在做的
Then when you find outwhat men actually do…
我很快就要离开这里
Well, I’m getting outof this town so fast,
远离这些话,这些纪念碑还有这整个腐♥败♥的表演
away from all the words and themonuments and the whole rotten show.
我了解
I see.
当你回家后你要怎么告诉那些小孩?
When you get home,what will you tell those kids?
我会告诉他们事实
Well, I’ll tell them the truth.
真♥相♥迟早会揭开的事实
Might as well find it out now as later.
我想他们不会相信你
I don’t think they’ll believe you.
他们可能会用受伤害的脸看着你然后说
They’re liable to look up at youwith hurt faces and say:
杰夫,你怎么做?辞职?
“Jeff, what did you do? Quit?
你没有想想办法?
Didn’t you do something about it?”
你要我怎么做?
Well, what do you expect me to do?
一个像我挂名的傀儡起来反对
An honorary stooge like me against
泰勒,潘恩这些说谎的机器
the Taylors and Painesand machines and lies.
你的朋友林肯先生有他的泰勒和潘恩
Your friend Mr. Lincolnhad his Taylors and Paines.
任何其他想要实现梦想的人也有
So did every other man who triedto lift his thought up off the ground.
反对的弱势不能阻止他们他们那样很笨
Odds against them didn’t stop them,they were fools that way.
所有来到这世界的好东西
All the good that ever cameinto this world
从深信这些信仰的傻瓜身上你知道
came from fools with faithlike that. You know that.
你现在不能辞职你不能
You can’t quit now. Not you.
在华盛顿里不是所有的人都是泰勒和潘恩
They aren’t all Taylors and Painesin Washington.
那只是纸老虎就这样
That kind just throw big shadows,that’s all.
你不只是相信潘恩或其他活着的人
You didn’t just have faith in Paine,or any other living man.
你要相信更大的东西
You had faith in something bigger.
你明白,正派平常的正义
You had plain, decent,everyday common rightness
这国家还是可以用得着
and this countrycould use some of that.
这个可笑的世界也可以很多
So could the whole cockeyed world.A lot of it.
记得第一天你到这里?
Remember the first dayyou got here?
记得你说过林肯的事?
Remember what you saidabout Mr. Lincoln?
他在等着有人来?
That he was waiting forsomeone to come along?
你说得对
You were right.
他在等着某个能看见他的工作完成他使命的人来
He was waiting for a man who couldsee his job and sail into it.
谁能撕开泰勒,把他们连根拔起
Who could tear into the Taylorsand root them out into the open.
我想他在等你
I think he was waiting for you.
他知道你能办到我也知道
He knows you can do it. So do I.
什么?要做什么,桑德斯?
What? Do what, Saunders?
你决定你不辞职我就告诉你怎么做
You make up your mindyou won’t quit,and I’ll tell you what.
回到这里的路上都在想
Been thinking about itall the way back here.
机会像从四十呎高跳进一缸水但我想你能做到
It’s a 40-foot dive into a tub of water,but I think you can do it.
克莱莉莎
Clarissa,
我们在哪能喝点东西?
where can we get a drink?
你现在说对了
Now you’re talking.
到我家来
Come on over to my place.
[???]
第尔本先生
CLERK:Mr. Dearborn.
达尼尔先生
Mr. Dernell.
杜威先生
Mr. Dwight.DWIGHT: Here.
他们今天要开除史密斯?
They’re going to expel Smithtoday, eh?
鼓在哪里?断头台在哪?
Where are the drums?Where’s the guillotine?
事实上,史密斯呢?
In fact, where’s Smith?
从他离开议会时就没停止跑过
Hasn’t stopped runningsince he left the Committee.
– 辛格顿先生- 这里
Mr. Singleton.SINGLETON: Here.
史密斯先生
Mr. Smith.Here!
这里!
[ALL MURMURING]
[GAVEL BANGING]
这傢伙真古怪
That guy’s batty.
司仪继续点名
The clerk will continuewith the roll call.
桑德斯来了
CLERK: Mr. Williams.DIZ: Here comes Saunders.
这是你的恶作剧?
Is this some of yourshenanigan?
怎么回事?
Shh.
祈祷告吧,迪斯如果你知道怎么做
What’s the matter?Pray, Diz, if you know how.
你把他带进来与此有什么关系?
Did you have anything to dowith bringing that guy in here?
你疯了?
Are you crazy?
九十位议员都到了
Ninety senators have answeredto their names.
以达法定人数
Quorum is present.
现在继续下一个议程
Proceeding now to the regular order.
主席
Mr. President.PRESIDENT: Senator MacPherson.
麦克佛逊议员
I desire to call up the reportof the Committee
我要召开
针对开除杰佛森·史密斯的议会
on the expulsion of Jefferson Smith.
司仪会读报告
PRESIDENT:Clerk will read the report.
特权选举会报告
“The Committee on Privilegesand Elections reports
在听过几位证人证词后
it appears to the satisfactionof the Committee
议会达成满意结果
after hearing a number of witnesses,
司法要求史密斯
that justice requires that Smith
不再担任议员一职
no longer continuea member of this body.
他们要求依此结果通过建议
They report this resolution withrecommendation that the same do pass.
结果:议院开除杰佛森·史密斯
Resolved: That Jefferson Smith beexpelled from his seat in the Senate.”
[MOUTHING]Wait.
Mr. President.
马上采用决议
I move for the immediateadoption of the resolution.
[MOUTHS] Now.JEFF & SENATOR: Mr. President!
– 先向主席致辞- 我有发言权
I addressed the chair first.I have the floor.
我要求决议唱名
I’m asking fora roll call on the passage
马上进行
of the resolutionwithout further delay.
议员能不发表不会
The senator can havenothing to say that would not…
[BANGS GAVEL]
然而,史密斯议员还是会议的一份子
However, Senator Smithis still a member of this body
仍然有权力要求
and has an equal claimon the attention of this chair.
你就要让我发言
You were about to recognize me.That was merely your impression.
那只是你的印象
让他发言!
Let him speak!
[CROWD CLAMORING]
[GAVEL BANGING]
在进行前
Before proceeding further,
我提醒中廊的访客他们是我们的来宾
I remind the visitors in the gallerythey are here as our guests
应该遵守本分
and should conductthemselves as such.
我不会因他们的情绪而干扰到
And I might add that their sentimentsin no way will affect
我这主席的判断
the judgment of this chair.
主席请
The chair recognizes…
史密斯议员发言
Senator Smith.
[ALL MURMURING]
谢谢你,主席
Thank you, sir.Diz, here we go.
迪斯,开始了
我想各位很急着把我开除
I guess the gentlemen arein a tall hurry to get me out of here.
如此多的证据冲着我来我不能怪他们
The way the evidence is piled upagainst me, I can’t blame them much.
当他们投票这么决定我也愿意走
And I’m willing to gowhen they vote it that way,
但我走之前我有几句话要说
but before that happens,I’ve got a few things to say.
我曾试过要说但我比青花鱼还冰冷的被阻止
I tried to say them once before and Igot stopped colder than a mackerel.
这次我一定要说出来
I’d like to get them said this time.
在我没说出来之前我不会离开
I’m not going to leaveuntil I do get them said.
议员能放弃发言吗?
Will the senator yield?
– 议员弃权?- 不,先生,恐怕不会!
Senator yields?No, sir, I’m afraid not!
不,先生
No, sir.
我曾经放弃发言权一次之后我再也没有发言权了
I yielded the floor once before, andI was practically never heard of again.
没有,先生
No, sir.
我们也许能马上针对这“放弃发言”的事
And we might as well all get togetheron this “yielding” business
做个了断
right off the bat now.
[CROWD LAUGHING]
昨晚我有非常好的训练
I had some good coachinglast night, and I find
我发现如果我只对问题放弃发言
that if I yield only for a question,point of order or personal privilege
或重点指示,私人特权那么我就能
握住这发言权直到世界末日
that I can hold this flooralmost until doomsday.
换句话说,我有话要说
In other words, I’ve got a pieceto speak and blow hot or cold,I’m going to speak it.
不管是冷热我一定要说
Will the senator yield?
议员会弃权吗?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!