我们的高压政策对你这种敏感的人太强硬了,不是吗?
Our steamroller methods are too hardfor your sensitive soul. Is that it?
银色骑士看不起我们
The Silver Knightis getting too big for us.
我的方法在过去二十年都很好
My methods have been all rightfor the past 20 years.
从我把你从墙上的小污洞里挑出来
Since I picked youout of a flyspecked hole-in-the-wall
让你看起来像个议员
and blew you upto look like a senator.
而现在你却不能忍♥受?
And now you can’t stand it?
也许你不需要忍♥受
Maybe you don’t have to stand it.
也许我们能解决,让你和那小子一起回家
Maybe we can fix it so you and the boycan go home together.
– 你不需要- 没关系,没关系
You don’t have to…Oh. It’s all right, it’s all right.
要把这么多年来的伙伴像这样分开非常可惜
Seems a shame, though, to partcompany like this after all these years.
尤其是现在党提名大会正要开始
Especially now, with a nationalconvention coming up.
乔,我是全力支持你
Joe, I put everything I havebehind you.
还有我们所有的朋友也是
And so did all of our friends.
我想我们经的起考验
I guess we’ll survive.
我们只要再找个有点理智的人
We’ll just find somebody elsewho’s got a little more sense.
同时,你进去跟史密斯先生解释威利水坝的事
In the meantime, you go in andexplain to Mr. Smith about Willet Dam.
这是你的提案是你的声誉
It’s your bill. It’s your reputation.
如果他不能找到足够的事实把你
If he can’t find enough factsto break you with,
让他过来我这我会好好教训他
send him to me.I’ll give him a couple of good ones.
我搭下班飞机回家再见
I’m taking the next plane home.So long.
Jim.Yeah?
你过来,好吗?
Come here, will you?
只是我喜欢那小子
It’s just that I like the kid.
我不想看见你对他太残酷
I don’t want to see youget too rough on him.
[CHUCKLES]
我很高兴你回复理智
I’m glad you came to your senses.
你让我害怕好一会
You had me scared there for a minute.
回去你的办公室当我跟史密斯谈完,我会打给你
Go back to your office. I’ll call youwhen I get through with Smith.
Okay.
“银色骑士”
[SCOFFS]
“The Silver Knight.”
嗨,议员
Hello, senator.
我只是经过这我想跟你见个面
I was just passing through.I thought I’d like to meet you.
坐下,我想你见过各位
Sit down. You met allthe boys here, I suppose.
他们说从你到这来你就做好准备
They say you’ve beenon your toes since you got here.
很好
That’s fine.
你知道吗,有人告诉我你很笨
Heh. You know, some people told methat you were dumb.
我觉得你很聪明
I think you’re smart.
你聪明到能听了解释后
You’re smart enoughto understand a situation
– 了解一个情形- 像是什么?
when it’s explained to you.Like what?
像是
Well, for instance,
在威利溪盖水坝
building a dam on Willet Creek.
你有什么好处?
Just what’s your interest in this?What’s my interest?
我有什么好处?
[ALL LAUGH]
任何对州有贡献的事对我都很重要
Anything that benefits the stateis mighty important to me.
拥有自己的工业报业,等等
Owning a lot of its industry,newspapers and other odds and ends.
如果我认为你心里像我一样有为州的福利打算
If I felt you had the welfareof the state at heart like I have,
我会说你是个重要的人
I’d say you were a man to watch.
你喜欢什么?
Now, what do you like? Business?
商业?
If you do, you can pick any jobin the state and go to the top.
喜欢的话你可以选择州内
任何工作,一路平步青云
或是政♥治♥
Or politics. Huh?
如果你喜欢当议员没有理由你不能会来
If you like being senator, there’sno reason why you can’t come back
你想待多久就待多久
and stay thereas long as you want.
如果你够聪明
If you’re smart.
你看看这儿的人或是乔·潘恩
Now, you take the boys here,or Joe Paine.
他们很好
They’re doing all right.
他们不需要担心
They don’t have to worry about
连任等事情
being re-elected or anything else.
他们很聪明
They’re smart. They take my advice.
他们接受我的建议
你告诉这些人以及潘恩议员该怎么做?
You tell these menand Senator Paine what to do?
是的
Why, yes.
过去二十年,乔·潘恩一直接受我的建议
Joe Paine has been taking my advicefor the past 20 years.
你是个骗子
You’re a liar.
我要见潘恩议员
I’ve got to see Senator Paine.
潘恩议员出城了
Senator Paineis out of town.
出城?不可能
Out of town? He couldn’t be.
Oh.
嗨,杰夫进来
PAINE:Hello, Jeff. Come in.
你跟泰勒谈过?
Well, did you have a talk with Taylor?
他说他这二十年来都告诉你怎么做
He said he’s told youwhat to do for 20 years.
我说他是个骗子
I called him a liar.
过来这里坐下
Come over here and sit down.
我不想坐下
I don’t feel like sitting down.
我懂你的感觉
Oh, I know how you feel.
我希望你谅解一切
I was hoping you’d bespared all this.
我希望你能
I was hoping that you would
看风景,吸收历史回到你小朋友的身边
see the sights, absorb some history,and go back to your boys.
你一直跟小朋友生活在一起看在老天的份上,留在那里
You’ve been living in a boy’s world.For heaven’s sake, stay there.
这是成人的世界
This is a man’s world.
很残酷这没有你的位子
It’s brutal, and you’ve no place in it.
你只会受伤,接受我的建议忘记泰勒和他说的
You’ll only get hurt. Take my advice.Forget Taylor and what he said.
忘记你曾听过威利溪水坝的事
Forget you ever heardof Willet Creek Dam.
但你还是没有回答我,先生
But you still haven’tanswered me, sir.
像泰勒这样的人能告诉你和其他的人该怎么做?
Can a man like Taylor tell youand those other men what to do?
Now, listen, Jeff, please,
听着,杰夫,拜托
请你了解
and try to understand.
我知道直接面对事实很辛苦
I know it’s tough to runhead-on into facts.
这是个成人的世界你要在门外放下理想
This is a man’s world,and you got to check your ideals
就像你的雨靴一样
outside the door,like you do your rubbers.
三十年前我也有你的理想
Now, 30 years agoI had your ideals.
我曾经是你
I was you.
我也曾像你今天一样要面临决定
I had to make the same decisionyou were asked to make today.
我下了决定
And I made it.
我妥协了
I compromised. Yes.
所以我能坐在议院以一千个诚实的方式服务大众
So I could sit in that Senate andserve the people in 1000 honest ways.
你一定要面对事实
You got to face facts.
我为我的州做了很多事,不是吗?
I’ve served our state well, haven’t I?
我们有最低的失业率最高的联邦补助金
We have the lowest unemploymentand the highest federal grants.
但我曾经还是要妥协
But I’ve had to compromise.
我要大胆你不能依赖人♥民♥的选票
I’ve had to play ball.You can’t count on people voting.
有一半的时间反正他们也不投票
Half the time they don’t vote, anyway.
这就是自始以来国家与帝国建立的方式,你明白吗?
That’s how states and empireshave been built sincetime began, understand?
Well, Jeff.
相信我的话这就是事实
You can take my word for it.That’s how things are.
Now, I’ve told you all this because…
我这么告诉你因为
我非常喜欢你
I’ve grown very fond of you.
事实上,像儿子一样
About like a son, in fact.
我不要看见你受伤
And I don’t want tosee you get hurt.
当明天提出预算不足的议案时什么都别说
When that Deficiency Bill comes uptomorrow, don’t say a word.
后面的强大力量能在你开始前就摧毁你
Great powers are behind it,who’ll destroy you before you start.
为了你自己
For your own sake,
为了我和你父亲的朋友关系
and for the sake ofmy friendship with your father,
拜托你
please…
别说话
don’t say a word.
因为预算不足的议案很紧急
Owing to the urgencyof the Deficiency Bill,
一致同意
there is a unanimousconsent agreement
针对每个提案
that no one will speak more than onceor longer than five minutes
发表言论一次不能超过五分钟
on any section of the bill.
司仪会宣读
Clerk will read.
会计年度预算不足的经费议案第一节
“The bill for deficiency appropriationsfor the fiscal year, Section One.
紧急救助:
On emergency relief:
创建建设公共改善河川
To create and erectpublic improvements on rivers,
港口,道路一百五十亿万元
harbors and roadways, $150 billion.
四十节:
Section 40: An appropriation to divertand impound Willet Creek
提拨转移资助泰瑞峡谷的威利溪的
天然盆地,五百万
to the natural basinof Terry Canyon, $5 million.”
主席先生?
Mr. President?
史密斯议员想评论第四十节?
PRESIDENT:Senator Smith desiresto be heard on Section 40?
是的,主席
JEFF:I do, sir.
议员了解他只有五分钟?
PRESIDENT:The senator understandshe’s limited to five minutes?
是的,主席
JEFF:Yes, sir.
请继续,先生
PRESIDENT:You may proceed, sir.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!