Tonight. I don’t want to complain
我不想抱怨
but in civilized countriesthere’s an institution called “dinner.”
但在文明国家有种制度叫“晚餐”
我自己也有点饿
Oh. I’m sort of hungry myself.
我们能不能像大企业家一样叫些外卖♥♥
Couldn’t we have some stuff broughtin on trays, like big executives?
当然可以
Oh, sure. Mm-hm.
晚餐送来
Dinner comes in on trays.
我们着手
We light into this…
天亮前完成议案
And we finish the bill before morning.
现在天亮了
It’s dawn.
你的提案好了你来介绍
Your bill is ready. You introduce it.How?
怎么介绍?
You get to your feet, take a breath,and start spouting.
站好
吸一口气开始侃侃而谈
别太大声,也许有一二个议员想要睡觉
Not too loud. A couple ofthe senators might want to sleep.
见习生会带到桌上
A curly-headed pageboytakes it to the desk
司仪会读给委员会听
where a clerk reads it,refers it to a committee…
委员会?为什么?
Committee, huh? Why?Committee.
委员会,一小组议员要调查筛选议案
Committees. Small groupsof senators have to sift a bill down,
会好好的研究跟议会报告
study it,and report to the Senate.
不能拿个没人听过的议案
Can’t take a billnobody ever heard of
然后跟九十六个人讨论就是你要经历的,明白吗?
and discuss it among 96 men.Where would you get?
我懂了
I see that.
很好我们原来讲到哪里了?
Good. Now, where are we?
会有委员会先审
Some committee’s got it.
好几天过去了,议员
Days are going by, senator.
好几天,好几星期!
Days, weeks!
最后,他们认为是个好议案
Finally, they think it’s quite a bill.
最后到众议院投票
It goes to the House of Representativesfor a vote
– 但在等时间- 时间?
but waits its turn on the calendar.Calendar?
这是程序
That’s the order of business.
你的提案要排队
Your bill has to stand back in line
– 除非指导委员会- 那是什么?
unless the steering committee…What’s that?
指导委员会?
Steering committee?
你觉得我们有进展吗?
Do you really thinkwe’re getting anywhere?
告诉我,什么是指导委员会?
Tell me, what’sthe steering committee?
多数党领袖的委员会
Committee of the majority party leaders.
他们决定什么议案能够重要到先提案表决
They decide when a bill is importantenough to be at the head of the list.
这够重要
Well, this is.
对不起,这够重要
Pardon me. This is.
– 我们现在说到哪?- 众议院
Where are we now?Over in the House.
对,众议院
Oh, yeah. House.
更多的修正,更多的更改议案会再回到参议院
More amendments, more changes,and the bill goes back to the Senate.
参议院不喜欢众议院改的他们改得更多
The Senate doesn’t likewhat the House did;they make more changes.
众议院不喜欢这些更改就卡住了
The House doesn’t likethose changes. Stymied.
然后呢?
So?
他们指定每个议院的代表碰头商议
So they appoint men from each Houseto go into a huddle
叫做协商奋战到底
called a conference,and they battle it out.
最后,如果你的议案经过这些重重解剖后还活着
Finally, if your bill is still aliveafter all this vivisection,
才有投票
it comes to a vote.
是,先生!
Yes, sir!The big day finally arrives
这伟大的一天终于来临
但国会休会
and Congress adjourns.
跟得上吗,议员?
Catching on, senator?
Uh-huh.
我们要马上开始还是先点晚餐?
Shall we start right awayor order dinner first?
对不起?
Pardon me?I said, shall we start…
我说,我们要
Oh, sure.
当然
Why not?
为什么不?
Do you mind if I take the timeto go get a pencil?
你介意我花点时间拿支笔吗?
– 请便!- 非常感谢你
Go right ahead!Thank you very much.
请便!还要很多纸
Go right ahead.And lots of paper too.
现在可恶!
Now, the… Doggone it!
你会不会有对某些事有很多意见但说不出来?
Ever have so much to say aboutsomething, you just couldn’t say it?
– 试着坐下来- 我有,我马上会起来
Try sitting down.I did. I got right back up.
我们先列出
Let’s get down to particulars.
这东西有多大?在哪里?
How big is this thing? Where is it?
有多少小朋友会留宿?
How many boys will it accommodate?
你全部要提出来,知道吗?
You’ve got to have all thatin it, you know?
还有别的事桑德斯小姐
Yeah. And something else,Miss Saunders.
这种精神,这种观念
The spirit of it. The idea.
你怎么说?
How do you say it?
那个一定要在里面
That’s what’s got to be in it.What?
国会园顶
The Capitol dome.
在报告里?
On paper?
我要为这土地上的每个小朋友实现这个梦想
I want to make that come to lifefor every boy in this land.
对,也像它一样的点燃着
Yes, and all lighted uplike that too.
你看,小朋友会忘记国家的意思
You see, boys forgetwhat their country means
如果只从历史课本上读到“自♥由♥之土”
by just reading”the land of the free” in history books.
他们成人后会忘记的更多
They get to be menand forget even more.
自♥由♥是很贵重的东西,不能只在书里读到,桑德斯小姐
Liberty is too precious a thingto be buried in books, Miss Saunders.
人们应该牢记着
Men should hold it up in front of themevery single day of their lives and say,
而且每天都说
我能自♥由♥的
I’m free
思考,自♥由♥的言论
to think and to speak.
我的祖先不能但我可以
My ancestors couldn’t. I can…
而且我的小孩也能
and my children will.
小朋友长大时应该带着这个记忆
Boys ought to grow upremembering that.
这个指导委员会一定要像这样的想
And that steering committee,they’ve got to see it like that.
我知道潘恩议员会尽他所能来帮我,因为
I know Senator Paine will doall he can to help me, because…
他是个很棒的人,不是吗?
He’s a wonderful man, isn’t he?
– 他跟我爸很熟- 是吗?
He knew my father real well.He did?
我们需要更多像他这样的人像他这样的个性及理想
We need a lot more like him.His kind of character, his ideals.
我们继续
Um… Let’s get on with this.
这个营会设在你的州里?
Oh, yes.This camp’s out in your state?
会在最美的二百亩地
About 200 of the most beautifulacres that ever were.
你从没去过那里是吗?
Ever been out in that country?No.
我踏过每一寸土地
I’ve been over every single foot of it.You have to see it yourself.
你一定要亲自去看
I don’t know. The prairies,and wind leaning on the tall grass,
我不知道,那个大草原还有风吹过高高的草尖
溪水涓涓地流进草地
lazy streams down in the meadows,
深山里面活泼的水
angry little midgets of waterup in the mountains.
牛群伴着余晖走下山坡
Cattle moving down the slope,against the sun.
营火
Campfires
还有雪堆
and snowdrifts…
每个人都该在他这一生中体验一下
Everybody ought to have someof that, sometime in his life.
我爸就有这种观念
My dad had the right idea.
而且全部实现了
He had it all worked out.
他曾经对我说过,儿子
He used to say to me, “Son,
别错过你身边神奇的事
don’t miss the wondersthat surround you.
因为每棵树,每个岩石每个蚁丘,每个星辰
Because every tree, every rock,every anthill, every star
都充满的自然的神奇
is filled withthe wonders of nature.”
他曾经对我说
He used to say to me:
你是否曾感觉到你多庆幸
“Did you ever notice how gratefulyou are to see daylight
从通过又长又黑的隧♥道♥后能再见到日光?
after coming througha long, dark tunnel?”
他说, 记得看看你周遭的生命
“Well,” he’d say, “always try to seelife around you
就像你刚从隧♥道♥里出来一样
as if you just cameout of a tunnel.”
你从哪来?
Where did you come from?
我想我一直是住在隧♥道♥里
I guess I’ve always livedin a tunnel.
你是说,这里?
You mean here?
巴尔的摩,纯城市住民
Baltimore. Pure city dweller.
你一直要工作?
Have you always had to work?
从我十六岁开始
Since I was about 16.
十六岁?
Sixteen?I take it your parents couldn’t…
我以为你父母不会
不,我父亲是为医生
No, Father was a doctor.
他的伦理规范比他的蒐藏要多
He thought more of ethicsthan he did of collections.
说父亲的好话但这不算太
Speaks well for Father,but it wasn’t so…
听着,我们最好回到主题
Now, look, we’d better get back to this.
不容易吧?
Hasn’t been easy, has it?
没什么
No complaints.
对一个女人来说你真的做得很好
For a woman, you’ve done awfully well.
我有吗?
Have I?
我从不认识有个人这么有能力,这么聪明
I’ve never known anyone as capableand intelligent…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!