See, I never gain an ounce,
我焦虑不安的性格就像有氧运动一样
because, you know, my anxiety acts like aerobics.
所以我总是能得到一些健身锻炼
So I get the exercise.
西德尼 谢谢你为了我生日 带我出来吃饭
Thanks for taking me out for my birthday, Sidney.
对我来说 你就像我的女儿一样
Well, you know, you’re the daughter that I never had.
哦 那真是…不 我开玩笑的
Oh, that’s so… No, no, I’m kidding. I’m kidding.
因为我从来没打算要孩子
‘Cause I never wanted to have kids.
从来没用 因为你要是有孩子的话 会怎么样呢
I didn’t. Because you have kids, what is it?
你得对他们好 你得抚养他们长大成人
You know, you’re nice to them, you bring them up,
你得承受很多痛苦
you suffer,
你得照顾他们
you take care of them
之后他们长大成人 骂你有老年痴呆
and then they grow up and they accuse you of having Alzheimer’s.
你会在伦敦生活下去吗
Could you ever live in London?
我会在伦敦生活下去吗 不会
Could I live in London? No.
别误会 我爱伦敦
And I love London. Don’t get me wrong, I love London,
但是 你知道
but, you know,
除了语言上的问题外 我受不了在这里开车
apart from the language problem, I can’t take the driving.
你知道 是在马路的另一边驾驶 我…
Because it, you know, it’s on the wrong side, and l…
每次我在这里开车
Every time I drive a car here,
我都确信我会死于车祸
I’m convinced I’m going to die in a crash.
西德尼
Sidney!
怎么了
What’s the matter?
是彼得
It’s Peter.
你告诉我彼得出城了
You said Peter was out of town.
他是那么和我说的
Well, that’s what he told me.
快走
Come on.
你说”快走” 什么意思
What do you mean, come on?
我点了对虾
I ordered prawns.
付帐 好吗 付帐
Just pay, all right? Just pay.
你什么意思 付帐 我能做的只是…
What do you mean, pay? All I do is…
好吧 今天是她的生日
Fine, it’s her birthday.
快点
Come on.
也许他还有别的女人
Maybe he’s got another woman on the side,
他喜欢你 但是在性方面还是被她所吸引
and he likes you, but he’s sexually attracted to her.
谢谢 西德尼
Thanks, Sidney.
为什么他的司机不在
Well, why doesn’t he have his chauffeur?
我不知道 不管他要做什么
I don’t know, whatever he’s doing,
他肯定是不想叫其他人知道
he must want it to be secret.
我告诉你他朝另一个方向走了
Oh, I told you he went the other way!
我们能回家了吗
Can we go home, please?
开始下雨了
It’s starting to rain.
我不敢相信他居然骗了我
I can’t believe he lied to me.
可能他不好意思 告诉你他现在正在做的事
Maybe he’s doing something that he’s ashamed to tell you about.
可能他是那些夜♥总♥会♥的会员
Maybe he belongs to one of those clubs,
或者他喜欢装扮成女人什么的
or he’s a cross-dresser or something.
或者他是跳民族舞蹈的
Or maybe he does folk dancing.
我相信当他告诉我这件事的时候
Oh, I’m sure it’s probably something that when he tells me,
我会觉得认为他撒谎真的很愚蠢
I’ll just feel foolish for thinking he lied.
肯定是这样的 这世界并不是每件事都是邪恶的
I’m sure. You know, not everything in this world is sinister.
只是事实上是而已
You know, just practically everything.
印度菜让我很不舒服
That lndian food made me sick.
你根本就没怎么碰你的眼镜蛇沙拉
You hardly touched your cobra salad.
怎么可能会不舒服
How can you be sick?
救命
Help!
一个女人被掐死了
A woman’s been strangled!
救命 一个女人被掐死了 快给警♥察♥打电♥话♥
Help! A woman’s been strangled! Help, call the police!
快通知警♥察♥ 这里发生了谋杀
Somebody call the police! There’s been a murder!
楼上有人被谋杀了
WOThere’s been a murder upstairs.
救命
WOHelp!
你有电♥话♥吗 快给警♥察♥打电♥话♥
Have you got a phone? Have you got a phone? Call the police.
会是塔罗牌杀手吗 他们找到了一张塔罗牌 就是他
Could it be the Tarot Killer? They found a Tarot card. It’s him.
简直难以置信 她住在这栋楼里
I can’t believe it! She lives in this building.
又是他 他们找到了塔罗牌
It’s him again. They found the Tarot card.
伊丽莎白·吉布森 另一个黑色短发的遇害者
Elizabeth Gibson, another short-haired brunette.
我们本应该早点通知警♥察♥的
We should have gone to the police earlier.
是你说的他们不会相信我们
Well, you know… You said that they wouldn’t believe us
他们可能不会相信
and they may not.
西德尼 现在是时候把我们的消息 告诉真正的记者了
Sidney, it’s about time we show my story to a real newspaperman.
你说”真正的”是什么意思
By real, you mean what?
活着的记者
One that’s living.
薇薇安的爸爸有个朋友在”观察者”工作
Vivian’s father has a friend that works at The Observer.
你的故事很生动而且令人震惊
Well, it’s very vivid and rather shocking,
你的证据里有不少都只是巧合而已
and there are some genuine circumstantial bits of evidence.
还是让我给你讲讲什么是专业新闻
But let me give you a lesson in professional journalism.
根本不可能有报纸会报道这件事
No newspaper should or would ever run this story.
什么 为什么
What? Why?
那只会是有损当事人名誉 而且不负责任的行为
It would be fatally irresponsible and libelous.
你这里只有一些表面上的推测而已
All you have here are a number of titillating speculations.
只有一些浮夸的推理 来诋毁一个公众人物
Flamboyant theories that tarnish a man, and a well-known figure at that,
哪怕一丁点充实的证据都没有
without a single shred of substantial proof.
你的证据只有他妈妈是黑色短发
So his mother was a short-haired brunette.
只有他打牌迟到了
So he came late for a poker game
只有他说过要去商务旅行 结果被发现是在撒谎
and said he was going away on a business trip and he got caught lying.
是这样 但是又有谁会把塔罗牌
Yes, but who keeps a Tarot deck
放在法国圆号♥下面呢
under a French horn?
拥有塔罗牌 并且随意放置它 这些都不犯法
It’s not against the law to own a Tarot deck, or keep it wherever you like.
你对他的这些指控 在法庭上会 显得很愚蠢被动的
You’d look pretty foolish in court with your accusations,
而且被告上法庭 也将是你们的最终命运
and that’s where you’ll wind up.
因为那时除了控告你们和报社之外 他别无选择
Because he’d have no choice but to sue you and the newspaper,
而且官司他肯定会赢的
and he’d win.
要是我们去报♥警♥呢
And to go to the police?
这个我一会会说的
I’ll come to that.
先让我把我这个无聊的专业讲座讲完
But first let me continue my tedious professorial lecture.
薇薇安的爸爸和我认识很久了
Vivian’s dad and l go way back.
他告诉我你是个新闻系学生
He said you were a journalism student.
是的
Hmm.
你提到过你这是你得到的内部消息
You talk about getting a tip.
好的 你不会透漏消息的来源
Okay, you won’t disclose your source,
但是你想象的过头了
but what you have done is let your imagination run wild.
不 不是
No, no.
要是我告诉你我的消息来自于
What if I told you that my source happened
乔·斯特劳博你会怎么想
to be a certain Joe Strombel?
-那个已故的乔·斯特劳博 -是的
-The late Joe Strombel? -Yep.
你是说 他死前把消息 透漏给你这个学生记者
You mean, before he died he gave a student reporter
他自己不去追踪这个大新闻
a major story and didn’t follow it up himself?
我们没说这消息是他死前告诉我们的
We didn’t say it was before he died.
-什么 -不是 是…
-What? -No, it…
他死前得到这个消息
He got the story before he died,
但是他还没来得及追踪下去就死了
and then he died before he could follow it up.
那他为什么要告诉你呢 他并不知道他要死了啊
Well, why did he give it to you? He didn’t know he was dying.
我不会相信的
I don’t buy it.
我太了解乔·斯特劳博了
I knew Joe Strombel well.
如果他得到了一条他认为 可靠的消息的话
If he’d had a tip that he considered reliable,
他肯定会亲自追踪下去的
he would certainly have pursued it himself,
即使是在坟墓里他也会这么做的
from the grave, if necessary.
那你怎么看谋杀案那天晚上
What about how Peter was in the neighborhood
彼得在那附近出现这点呢
the night the murder was committed?
我理解作为一个学生记者当发现自己可能
I realize as a student how exciting it must have been
追踪到什么独家特大新闻时的激动心情
to think that you were onto something so spectacular.
嘿 她就是在追踪大新闻
Hey, she is onto something!
这孩子就是个侦探 你看看她
This kid is a bloodhound. Look at her!
这新闻她能卖♥♥给城里任何一家小报
She could sell the story to any tabloid in town.

Hmm.
我已经向你宣扬了什么是 真正客观的新闻报道
Now that I’ve preached on the realities of accurate reporting,
我想说的是
I want to tell you how catastrophic for everybody involved
如果你把你调查的这些透漏给小报
it would have been if you had, say, taken
那这件事所涉及到的 每个人的命运都将是悲惨的
the results of your investigation to a tabloid.
今天 警方已经抓获了塔罗牌连环杀手
Today, the police have apprehended the Tarot Card Serial Killer.
凶手千真万确不是彼得·莱曼
And it most assuredly is not Peter Lyman.
什么
What?
现在城里的每家报社都在做这个报道

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!