Well, Tindle arrived about 6:30 and left about an hour and a half later.
从那以后我就没再见过他了 – 也没有其他人再见过他 先生
I have not seen him since. – And nor has any one else, sir.
噢 但这太荒谬了 你难道是说我杀了廷德?
But this is absurd. You’re not suggesting I killed Tindle?
杀了廷德? 先生 我可没用杀这个字眼
Killed Tindle, sir? I never mentioned the word “kill”.
噢 得了 巡官 别跟我玩文字游戏了
Come now, Inspector. You can’t pull that old one on me.
被勒死的 先生 那请问你怎么知道夫人是被勒死的呢
“Garrotted, sir. May I ask how you knew her ladyship had been garrotted?”
这是你告诉我的啊 巡官
“Surely, you told me so, Inspector.”
不 先生 我可没用勒死这个词
“No, sir. I never mentioned the word garrotted.”
我很遗憾你竟然发现这很滑稽 毕竟这是我们必须要做的事
I am sorry you find us so comic, sir. On the whole, what we do is necessary.
你只是在执行公务 这是你们的口头禅 是不是?
You’re just doing your job is the overworked phrase, isn’t it?
算是吧 先生 算是吧 常用的口头禅
Possibly, sir. Very possibly. The overworked phrase that is, yeah.
你的妻子和廷德先生 在私下亲密交往
Your wife and Mr Tindle have been associating closely
已经有一段时间了 – 是的 我知道你们会发现这些
for some time, sir. – I thought you’d know about that.
一个小村庄可守不住什么秘密
You can’t keep anything quiet in a small village.
很正确 先生
Perfectly true, sir.
你不是在暗示这其中有什么犯罪动机吧
You’re not suggesting a crime passionnel?
就为了玛格丽特? 噢 天啊
I do hope. Not with Marguerite. Oh, God.
那就好比捅死一个人
That’d be like knifing somebody for the sake
只是为了一勺子冷米布丁
of a tablespoon full of cold rice pudding.
我很喜欢冷米布丁 先生
I’m very partial to rice pudding, sir.
我觉得味道好极了 – 这下可好
I find it a great standby. – That’s perfect.
你们都分别有杀人的方法 动机和机会
“All of you had either the means, motive or opportunity,”
多普勒巡官说道
said Inspector Doppler, as he thoughtfully digested
然后喝下一勺汤 但你们当中只有一个人三者齐备
another spoonful of his favourite pud. “But only one of you had all three.”
你说的没错 先生 那个人就是你
Exactly so, sir, and that person is you.
那可真是神奇
That is divine.
我想我还是把一切告诉你好了
I suppose I better tell you what happened.
那就再好不过了 先生
That would be helpful, sir.
如果再来一杯喝的那就更好了
Perhaps another drink would be helpful, too.
我很乐意再来一杯 但恐怕那些瓶子都已经见底了
I’d love another drink, sir, but I think you’ll find that the bottle is empty.
没错 巡官 但这个问题也好解决
Quite right, Inspector. That, too, can be corrected.
跟我来 好吗
Do come with me, won’t you?
就如你所知的
Now, as you seem to know,
廷德和我妻子有一腿
Tindle was having an affair with my wife.
而我是这种人
Now, I belong to that rare breed of men
如果公平竞争
who genuinely don’t mind losing gracefully
输给一个遵守游戏规则的绅士 我是不会介意的
to a gentleman who plays the game by the same rules.
但输给这个低贱的意大利情人
But to be worsted by a flash, crypto-Italian lover boy,
他还把我的冷淡当成了能力不足 那可就太过分了
who mistakes my indifference for inadequacy is altogether too much!
你的意思是你无法接受这个事实 对不对
You mean you couldn’t bring yourself to accept the situation, sir?
这就是你的意思 是不是
Is that what you’re saying?
我主观拒绝接受这个事实 巡官
I mean, it was a situation I refused to accept, Inspector.
玩游戏对你来讲是件很重要的事 对不对?
Playing the game is very important to you, is it, sir?
玩游戏和做游戏 是的 巡官
Playing the game and games playing, yes, Inspector.
我看不出其中的区别 先生
I’m not quite sure I see the difference, sir.
噢 这很简单 巡官
It’s perfectly simple, Inspector.
玩游戏是人人都可以玩的
Playing the game is what every gentleman does.
但玩一些特别的游戏是我的激♥情♥所在
Playing of particular games is my special passion.
或者可以说 是我一生的最爱
In a way, my whole life.
听起来有点可悲啊 先生
That sounds a bit sad to me, sir.
就像一个长不大的小孩
Like a child not growing up.
小孩玩耍有什么可悲的? 巡官
What’s so sad about a child playing, Inspector?
噢 没什么 先生 如果你还是个小孩的话
Nothing, sir, if you’re a child.
让我来告诉你 巡官
Let me tell you, Inspector,
我玩的游戏是如此的复杂 连荣格和爱因斯坦
I have played games of such complexity that Jung and Einstein
都会因为有幸参与其中而感到自豪的
would’ve been proud to have been asked to participate in them.
我完成了智力和灵魂的伟大旅程
I have achieved flights of the mind and flights of the psyche
普通人根本无从知晓
unknown in ordinary human relationships.
而且我享受的不仅仅是单纯的快乐
And I’ve had a very great deal of not altogether innocent fun.
有没有什么事不被您当做游戏呢 先生
Is there nothing you would not consider a game, sir?
责任 工作 甚至婚姻?
Duty, work, even marriage?
噢 拜托 巡官 不要把婚姻包含在内
Please, Inspector. Don’t include marriage.
性! 性就是一场游戏 婚姻便是处罚
Sex! Sex is the game. Marriage, the penalty.
一年一年的 我们走过没有意义的纪念日
Round and round, we jog towards each futile anniversary.
结果收获的是200次争吵
Pass go. Collect two hundred rows,
200次冷战
two hundred silences, two hundred scars.
200次心灵深处的创伤
In the deep places.
你的意思是不是 因为你对你妻子不关心
Are you saying, sir, that because of your indifference to your wife,
所以你没有谋杀廷德的动机?
you had no motive for murdering Mr Tindle?
我只是说说而已 巡官 我和多数人一样
I’m simply saying, Inspector, that in common with most men,
喜新厌旧 吃了就扔
I want to have my cookie and ignore it.
我觉得这样很有趣
That was rather witty, I thought.
这是什么 先生
And what have we here, sir?
那只是一个旧的化妆篮而已
It’s just an old dressing up basket. That’s all.
一个经典的藏东西的地方 我想你肯定会赞同我的
A traditional place of concealment, I’m sure you’ll agree.
只能隐藏身份 巡官
Only of the identity, Inspector.
游戏里用的
In a game.
走吧
Shall we go?
走吧? – 好的 先生
Shall we go? – Yes, sir.
这就走
Coming.
是这样的 觉得我有必要给廷德少爷好好上一课
Anyway, I thought I’d teach young master Tindle a lesson
消消他的锐气 测试下他的胆子
for his presumption. Test his mettle, as it were.
或许你不会赞同 巡官 但对我而言
You may not agree with this, Inspector, but you take it from me.
接近一个人内心深处的最快途径 就是羞辱他
The shortest way to a man’s heart is through humiliation.
用不了多久 他就会原形毕露
You soon find out what he’s made of.
那你是怎么羞辱他的 先生
And how did you plan to go about this humiliation, sir?
首先 让他相信 我妻子过惯了奢侈的生活
To begin with, by convincing him that as my wife has expensive tastes,
而他又是一个穷鬼
and he was virtually a pauper,
他可以通过偷一些很贵重的珠宝来解决问题
he could solve that problem by stealing some valuable jewellery,
而我的保险箱里刚好有一些
which I had in my safe.
然后我说服他脱下了他的衣服 穿上一身戏服
I further persuaded him to take off his clothes and wear a disguise.
他很恰当地选了一套
Appropriately enough, he chose,
就在你刚刚看的那个篮子里 一套小丑的衣服
out of that basket you examined, the costume of a clown.
他穿着那身滑稽的小丑服 破门而入 炸毁了我的保险箱
In that ludicrous outfit, he broke into the house and blew open my safe.
珠宝在这个盒子里
The jewels were in this box.
考虑的真周到 巡官
Good thinking, Inspector.
很漂亮 – 现在它们在哪 先生
Bravo. – And where are they now, sir?
我昨天都放银行里了
I put them in the bank, yesterday.
星期六? – 是的 巡官 星期六
On a Saturday? – Yes, Inspector, on a Saturday.
我开车去了索尔兹伯里 把他们都放在了夜间保险箱里
I drove over to Salisbury and I put them in the night safe.
你真有远见 先生
How very provident, sir.
能不能跟我说说 炸开保险箱之后怎么样了
May I ask what you did after he blew the safe open?
廷德把珠宝装进口袋
Tindle pocketed the jewels.
我们就像做游戏一样 在房♥子里打来打去
We struggled convincingly around the house as part of the game,
但当我翻脸 告诉他今晚可怕的真实目的后
and he was about to make off, when I turned nasty and revealed
他尝试逃跑
the true purpose of the evening.
显而易见 我是想让他模拟行窃
This was, of course, that I had manoeuvred him
假装误认为他是盗贼
into a position where, by pretending to mistake him for a burglar,
这样我就可以合理合法地杀掉他
I could legitimately shoot him.
当你说明你的意图的时候 先生
When you revealed your intentions, sir,
廷德先生的反应是什么样的
what was Mr Tindle’s reaction?
吓哭了
Electrifying!
他完全听信了我的话
He swallowed my story, hook, line and sinker.
他跪在地上 求我饶他命
He fell to his knees and pleaded for his life,
但我不为之所动 于是就用枪对准了他的脑袋
but I was implacable. I put the gun against his head
扣动了扳机
and shot him
用的是空弹
with a blank cartridge.
你用空弹朝廷德先生开枪?
You shot Mr Tindle with a blank cartridge, sir?
他像死人一样吓晕了
Fainted, dead away.
我的游戏结束了
So my game was over.
这真是最令人满足的游戏
It was a most gratifying one.
你真的用枪对着他的头
You actually put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger
像做游戏一样扣动扳机?
as a game?
如果你乐意的话 管这叫做”入会测试”吧
Call it his initiation test, if you like.
他来的时候打扮的人模狗样
He came here aping the gentry,
希望能够被接受 但他必须上这一课
hoping for acceptance, but he had to be taught.
人不可能如此轻易地跻身上流社会
You don’t join just like that.
有个东西叫做”血统” 血统所带来的素养
There’s such a thing as breeding! The quality that breeding brings.
是后天培养不出来的
It cannot be acquired.
当然 他没有通过他的测试 下场凄惨无比
Of course, he failed his test abysmally.
他本可以做的很好 先生

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!