It’s not a fault, if you can afford it, but can you?
想必也是比较困难的 棕色
Knowing you to be hard up. Brown.
在这最近的浪漫的3个月里
Has she shown any signs of mending her ways
她有没有什么改变自我的迹象
in these last idyllic three months?
蓝色
Blue.
比如说 她有没有放弃唐·培里侬香槟王
When, for instance, did she last turn down
转而爱上劣等红酒的魅力呢?
a Dom Perignon in favour of, no offence, mind you,
我无意冒犯哈
the persuasive charms of Dago Red?
黑色
Black.
不 我没开玩笑
No, I’m not joking.
这场短暂的私通花费了你多少票子呢
How much has this brief liaison cost you, so far?
你在苏豪区的那位父亲你最后一次寄钱给他又是什么时候
And that old dad of yours in Soho, when did you last send him any money?
我们谈过钱的事 我经常对她说我们花的太多了
We have talked about money. Often, I’ve told her we spend too much.
她一点也不在意?
She takes no notice?
不在意
None.
大笑 仰面朝天翻白眼
A silvery laugh, a coquettish turn of the head.
差不多
Something like that.
今晚我请你来就是为了 收拾这个烂摊子
Well, it’s to solve this little problem that I’ve invited you around here tonight
像他们常说的 这里就是剧情开始起跑的地方
and this, as they say, is where the plot thickens.
什么剧情
What plot?
你手里的球杆是拿来当摆设的吗
Whatever are you doing with that cue in your hands?
我在等你打偏 – 蠢小子
I was waiting for you to miss. – Foolish boy.
很久以前 亲爱的麦洛
Once upon a time, my dear Milo,
有一个叫做安德鲁·怀克的英国人
there was an Englishman called Andrew Wyke,
他就跟他的其他的同胞一样
who, in common with most of his countrymen,
被税务剥去了一些资产 为了减少损失
was virtually castrated by taxation. To avoid total emasculation
他的会计建议他 将他的大部分钱财
his accountants advised him to put a considerable part of his money,
大约二十五万英镑 投入珠宝行业
some £250,000, into jewellery.
他的妻子 毫无疑问很高兴
His wife, of course, was delighted.
玛格丽特从来没告诉我 你给过她什么珠宝
Marguerite never told me that you had given her any jewellery.
噢 那当然 那东西现在还是我的 她自己也清楚
Nor did I, of course, it’s still mine, as well she knows.
我们以前只是认为那东西戴在她身上
We just thought it would be more amusing for her to wear it
比存在银行里要好多了 毕竟所有的珠宝都上了保险
than for me to bank it. After all, it’s fully insured.
我现在明白你所谓的剧情起跑的意思了
I see what you mean by the plot thickening.
跟得上我的节奏就好
I’m glad you follow me so readily.
告诉你吧 我想让你把那些珠宝偷走
You see, I want you to steal that jewellery.
一次求婚
今天 玛格丽特不在 是一个绝好的机会
Tonight a choice, with Marguerite away, it’s an admirable opportunity.
那你的仆人呢
What about the servants?
我让哈克斯先生和夫人到海边 去划两天的船
I’ve sent Mr and Mrs Hawkins away to the seaside for a 48-hour paddle.
直到星期天晚上他们才会回来 你知道 这房♥子就空了
They won’t be back till Sunday night, so, you see, the house is empty.
干杯
Cheers.
你觉得怎么样
Well, what do you say?
很明显这是犯法的 – 废话 当然是犯法了
It sounds distinctly criminal. – Well, of course it’s criminal.
这年头想在英国赚钱能不犯法吗
All good moneymaking schemes in England have to be these days.
那些珠宝 不在银行的时候
Now, the jewellery, when it’s not in the bank,
就是被锁在书房♥的一个很安全的保险箱里
lives in an ingeniously hidden safe somewhere here in the study.
你要不要找找看
Where, for instance, would you look for it?
栩栩如生 是不是? 当然 这是17 不 18年前画的
A good likeness, would you say? Of course, it’s 17… No, 18 years ago.
我想你应该不会将你的保险箱藏在这后面
I don’t think you’d hide your safe behind it.
电影里面有太多这样的镜头了
I’ve seen that in too many movies.
真聪明 那么在哪里 你有本事找到它吗
Good thinking! All right, then where? Are you up to finding it?
我想某些技能只有在廉价酒吧里才学得来
There are certain skills best acquired in public bars, I suppose.
但你是怎么猜到的 – 你这个游戏发烧友
But whatever made you think? – You and your games.
那是这间屋里唯一的游戏
That is the only game in this room.
真聪明 总而言之 珠宝就在里边
Very clever. Anyway, the jewels are in there.
你要做的就是把它偷走 卖♥♥到国外
All you have to do is steal them, sell them abroad,
然后和玛格丽特幸福美满的生活在一起
and live happily ever after with Marguerite.
而我要做的就是得到保险赔偿金 和泰娅幸福美满的生活在一起
All I have to do is claim the insurance and live happily ever after with Tea.
你叫我来这儿就是为了这个?
Is that what you asked me over to hear?
一个欺骗保险公♥司♥的雕虫小技?
A grotty little plot to defraud the insurance company?
真遗憾你说它是雕虫小技
I’m sorry you found the plot grotty.
就我个人而言 我觉得这很机智而且简单
Personally, I thought it was all rather nicely clear and simple.
听我说 如果我照你所说的 顺走…
Look, supposing I do as you say and nick…
偷走你的珠宝 如果我以自己的名义去卖♥♥掉
Steal the jewels. If I sell them under my own name,
你一报♥警♥我就会被抓
I’ll get picked up the moment you report the loss.
如果我把它们卖♥♥给销赃者 假设我可以找到一个这样的人
If I sell them to a fence, always presuming I could find one,
他肯定会敲诈我 然后我只能赚到零头
he’d carve me up, I’d get a fraction of their value.
我所认识的销赃者并非是这样的 – 那你认识什么样的
Not with the fences I know. – What fences would you know?
欧洲最好的 做事谨慎 虽然都是浪子
The finest in Europe. Prudent, yet prodigal.
我第一次遇见他们的时候
I first met them when I was researching
是在为我的著作《血钻秘史》做调研的时候
for The Deadly Affair of the Druce Diamond.
想必你读过吧
Surely you’ve read it.
可惜了 写的可精彩了呢
Pity. It was an absolute corker.
总而言之 以你的名义
In any case, on your behalf,
我已在阿姆斯特丹给你联♥系♥上了一个人
I have already contacted a certain gentleman in Amsterdam.
他不会亏待你的
He’ll treat you very well.
当然卖♥♥的价钱不可能全部给你
You won’t get the full amount for the jewels, of course,
但你可以拿到三分之二 十七万英镑左右
but you’ll get about two-thirds, say, £170,000.
你可以拿到现金
You’ll get it in cash.
十七万英镑? – 现金
A hundred and seventy thousand quid? – Cash.
为什么这家伙只拿这么点
Why should this fellow pay so much?
因为他可以得到其他销赃者得不到的
Because he will get what no fence ever gets,
对珠宝的所有权
title to the jewels.
要知道 除了偷了这批珠宝之外
You see, in addition to stealing the jewels,
你还要把这个收据一起拿走
you have also to take the receipts I got for them.
到时如果我的保险公♥司♥发现了
Now, what does my insurance company discover
我的珠宝是真正被盗了 还有什么值得怀疑的呢?
as it swings ponderously into action, antennae pulsing with suspicion?
他们会认为是有人假扮安德鲁·怀克
It discovers that someone impersonating Andrew Wyke
将十七万磅的珠宝卖♥♥了 但保险公♥司♥还是要赔钱给我
sold the jewels for £170,000 cash, but they still have to pay me.
可是一个好机会
Hard cheese!
仔细想想吧 不用急
Think it over. Take your time.
听我说 我知道这听起来是有点很蠢 但是呢 你有过类似的经验吗
Look, I know this sounds stupid, but have you had any experience?
我的意思是 你以前到底有没有犯过罪?
I mean, have you ever actually committed a crime before?
约翰·麦瑞德先生对这方面很有研究
St John Lord Merridew would have a pretty lean time of it
几乎没有他办不到的案子
if I didn’t think up any crimes for him to solve.
约翰是谁
St John Lord who?
你在开玩笑吗 – 开什么玩笑?
You’re joking. – What about?
约翰·麦瑞德先生是谁
Who is St John Lord Merridew?
就连玛格丽特和我 初次见面的时候
Why, even Marguerite, when I first met her,
她都听说过并且崇拜他
knew and adored him.
他是我的侦探啊 全世界的人都知道他
He’s my detective, known to millions throughout the civilised world.
他对犯罪的嗅觉比任何一个警♥察♥都要灵敏
With a nose for smelling out evil superior to anything on the force.
噢 是了
Oh, yes.
警♥察♥在你写的书里边都很愚蠢 不是吗
The police are always stupid in the kind of books you write, aren’t they?
他们什么案件都破不了
They never solve anything.
每次都是业余的侦探清楚事情的来龙去脉
It’s always the amateur sleuth who knows what’s going on.
但那只是侦探小说 而这是事实 是现实
But that’s detective fiction. This is fact, this is real.
我当然知道其中的区别亲爱的麦洛
I’m well aware of the difference, my dear Milo,
但我也很清楚 我自己的不可忽视的能力
but I’m also aware of my own not inconsiderable capabilities.
当然如果你质疑我的能力 或者是不相信我…
Of course, if you doubt them or don’t trust me…
那我还真不确定
I’m not sure that I do.
所以做这个决定可没那么容易
That’s why it’s a very difficult decision to make.
一点也不难 容易得很
Not at all difficult, perfectly simple.
你的女人挥金如土 而你又生活拮据
You have an expensive woman and no money.
是的 那为什么你自己 不偷了那些天杀的珠宝
Yeah, but why don’t you steal the bloody jewels
然后再送给我?
and simply hand them over to me?
我本以为这是显而易见的方法 但行窃必须看起来是真的才行
I should have thought that was obvious. The burglary has to look real.
这所房♥子应该是真的被破门而入
This house has actually to be broken into.
那为什么你自己不破门而入?
Then why don’t you break into it?
也不看看我都多老了 孩子
t’s a question of agility for one thing, dear boy.
麦洛 宝贝 帮个忙吧
Milo, baby, hey, do me a favour.
就交给我吧 明白我的意思吗
Let me handle this, you know what I mean?
犯罪是我的看家本领 所有的细节我都想好了
Crime is my bag. I got this caper all worked out to the last detail.
十七万英镑
£170,000.
现金 不收税的
Cash, tax free.
廷德尼里得剪坏多少把剪刀
It’d take an awful lot of Tindolini’s tonsorial teasing
才能赚到这么大一笔钱啊
to raise that kind of money.
好吧 我♥干♥
All right, I’ll do it.
你想让我从哪闯进来 – 不不不 不要这么快
Where do you want me to break in? – Oh, no, no. Not so fast.
你首先得伪装起来 – 为什么
You’ve got to get disguised first. – What for?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!