那些被告们 很多只是想听被告人
Most of these folks, they just want some acknowledgment
亲口承认自己的罪行
of what happened.
我们请来大主教安慰他们 再给点钱
We got ’em a sit-down with the bishop and a little dough,
最好结果也不过如此
and that’s the best they could hope for.
对神父们来说 最好结果正是如此
Well, it’s certainly the best the Priests could hope for.
不 教会还承诺
No, the church promised
会罢免这些神父
they’d take the Priests out of circulation.
这你事后确认过吗
And did you follow up on that?
你们还有什么事吗
Do you guys need anything else?
还有一件事 为什么没有记录
Yes. Why aren’t there any records?
之前我去法♥院♥查过
I was down at the courthouse earlier.
发现所有和解案都没有任何记录
There aren’t any records of any of these settlements.
我们是和教会直接打交道的
We dealt directly with the church.
我们起草一封申请 然后寄给档案馆
We would draw up a demand letter and send it to the chancery.
-从没上过法庭吗 -这都是私人调解
– You never filed anything in court? – It’s a private mediation.
这么说 调解时就只有你
So, this is just you
和大主教区的律师在场
and the archdiocese’s lawyers in a room?
-没错 -还有谁
– Correct. – Anyone else?
教会偶尔会
Occasionally the church would
多派一位辩护律师来帮忙
bring in another defense attorney to help out.
能提供名字吗
You have names?
不能 提供不了
Nope. No, I don’t.
这么说这些都是私了的
So this was all under the table?
没有任何官方记录
There’s no paper trail at all.
受害者们必须签署保密协议
The victim has to sign a confidentiality agreement
才能得到调解金
to get the settlement.
律师拿走三分之一 教会就把这事雪藏了
The lawyer takes a third, and the church sweeps it under the rug.
-简直是欺诈 -没你想的那么简单
– It’s a freakin’ Racket. – It’s more complicated than that.
麦克利什有义务
Macleish has got a duty
为那些受害者争取一切可得利益
to the client to get the best deal he can.
当然 但你打算和多少次稀泥
Sure. But how many victims do you represent
赚多少钱才打算真正为受害人伸张呢
and profit from before you say something?
加拉贝迪安一次都不会
Garabedian would say none.
所以他才会把案子闹上法庭
That’s why he’s taking these cases to court.
-他希望公众能知晓 -我同意
– He wants people to know about this. – I agree.
先不说执业操守 本
And legal ethics aside, Ben,
像麦克利什那样做事
I mean, operating the way Macleish has
只会让虐童事件更加无法曝光
all but guarantees that the abuse stays under wraps.
对 麦克利什确认萨维阿诺指出的神父了吗
Yeah. Did Macleish confirm all Saviano’s Priests?
没有 他被保密协议套住了
No. He’s limited by his confidentiality agreement.
但显然他参与过其中的一些人的和解
But clearly he’s settled cases against a number of them.
我通过菲尔联♥系♥到一些受害者
Phil’s put me in touch with some of the other victims.
我相信那些神父们肯定干过
I’m pretty confident all of his Priests are gonna check out.
也就是说有13个吗
So it is 13 Priests?
看来如此
Looks that way.
我的天
Holy shit.
好吧 继续调查
Okay. Keep going.
天主教慈善晚宴
抱歉 请再报一下您的名字好吗
I’m sorry. What was the name again?
巴伦
Uh, Baron.
巴西的巴
B-a-r-o-n.
我没找到 请稍等
I’m having trouble finding it. Just give me a second.
没关系 金 他是我请来的
It’s okay, Kim. I can vouch for him.
我是彼得·康纳利 天主教慈善董事会成员
I’m Pete Conley. I’m on the Board of Catholic Charities.
欢迎来到波士顿 巴伦先生
Welcome to Boston, Mr. Baron.
-谢谢 -感谢你参加晚会
– Thank you. – I appreciate you joining us.
我们对自己为波士顿所做的贡献非常自豪
We’re very proud of the work we do here in Boston.
枢机主教说你曾登门拜访
Oh, the Cardinal said you had a nice visit.
是的
Yes, we did.
他是一位了不起的人 很高兴你们能谈谈
He’s an extraordinary man. I’m glad you had a chance to chat.
玩的开心吗
Enjoying yourself?
老实说 这一类的活动并不是我强项
Uh, to be honest, these events aren’t really my strong suit.
你是慈善机构的吗
Yeah. Are you involved with the charity?
不算是 我的几个朋友是
Not directly, no. Several of my friends are.
我们都是波士顿学院高中的
We all went to high school at BC High.
就是《环球报》对街那所学校
That’s the school across the street from the Globe.
-想不看到都难 -没错
– It’s hard to miss. – Yeah.
看来想躲开也很难
Hard to get away from too, apparently.
枢机主教在那边
The, uh, Cardinal’s in the corner,
如果你想去打招呼
if you’re so inclined.
-我们见过了 -是吗
– We’ve met. – Really?
他提到诉讼了吗
Did he mention the suit?
没有 但他送了我一本《教义问答》
No, but he did give me a copy of the catechism.
是吗 枢机主教作风向来直来直去
Yeah. Well, the Cardinal’s not known for his subtlety.
调查波特案的时候
During the Porter investigation,
他真的召唤上帝来对付《环球报》
he literally called down the power of God on the Globe.
结果呢
How’d that play out?
一星期后 我们的编辑滑雪时摔断了腿
A week later, our editor broke his leg skiing.
要焗虾土司吗 先生们
Shrimp toast, gentlemen?
-不用 谢谢 -谢谢
– Uh, no, thanks. – Thanks.
你说有一位受害者曾提起刑事诉讼
You said one of the victims filed a criminal complaint?
对 不止一个
Yeah, there were a few of them.
但是法官把记录都封存了
But the judge had the case records sealed
因为教会有朋友替他们说话
after friends of the church complained.
教会的朋友可多了
And the church has a lot of friends.
就像埃里克·麦克利什
Like Eric Macleish?
没错
Yeah.
可以这么说 找他是解决不了问题的
Let’s just say he’s not part of the solution.
-明白我意思吗 -明白
– You follow what I’m saying? – Sure.
你工作很努力啊 雷赞德斯先生
You work hard, Mr. Rezendes.
-结婚了吗 -结了
– Are you married? – Yeah.
你妻子不介意你总是埋头工作吗
Your wife doesn’t mind you working all the time?
她很介意
Oh, yeah, she does.
所以我才不结婚 太忙了
That’s why I never got married. I’m too busy.
我的工作太重要
What I do is too important.
你们的新主编 是犹太人对吗
Your new editor, he’s a Jew, right?
对 没错
That’s right. Yeah.
你看 他一来
Well, see, he comes in
突然间大家就对教会的事来劲了
and suddenly everybody’s interested in the church.
知道为什么吗
You know why?
因为只有外来人才能做到 像我一样
Because it takes an outsider, like me.
我是亚美尼亚人
I’m Armenian.
你在波士顿认识几个亚美尼亚人
How many Armenians do you know in Boston?
史蒂夫·柯克金 《环球报》的同事
Steve Kurkjian. Works at the Globe.
那就有两个 你这运气该中个奖了
Oh. That’s two. You should get a prize or something.
你是哪里人 意大利人吗
What are you, Italian?
不 我是葡萄牙人
No, I’m Portuguese.
-在哪里长大 -东波士顿
– From where? – Uh, East Boston.
是吗 东波士顿
Really? East Boston?
听口音不像啊
You don’t sound like it.
这个城市 这些人
This city, these people…
让我们其他人毫无归属感
making the rest of us feel like we don’t belong.
但是他们并不比我们强
But they’re no better than us.
看看他们是怎么对待孩子的
Look at how they treat their children.
雷赞德斯先生 记着我的话
Mark my words, Mr. Rezendes,
如果养孩子需要全村协力
if it takes a village to raise a child,
那么虐待孩子则是全村共罪
it takes a village to abuse one.
你来了
Hey, here he is.
-来杯啤酒吗 -来一杯
– Want a beer? – Love one.
再来一杯
Another.
你带芭芭拉来了吗
You here with Barbara?
没 她讨厌这种事
No, no. She hates these things.
凯伦也是
Karen too. Yeah.
她们还挺明智
Smart ladies.
-干杯 -干杯
– Sláinte. – Sláinte.
我见过你们的新主编了
I met your new editor.
看上去不赖
Seemed like a decent fellow.
我觉得也是
I think he is.
我有天和埃里克·麦克利什
Hey, I had an interesting conversation
聊到了些挺有意思的事
with Eric Macleish the other day.
他好像调解

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!