之后就想尝试新的线路
[John] Tommy started looking between the lines
在线路之间,Tommy开始查看
for his own first ascents.
找出他自己的第一条攀登线
[Tommy] It added that element of the unknown,
就是把未知加入进去
this what-if, like, maybe that could be climbed.
嗯,也许,确实可以攀登
[Long] I think Tommy had become hypnotized
我觉得Tommy是着迷了
trying to figure out, where is the ultimate limit?
想要找出那条终极极线路
[Brettl Oh, shit.哎,糟
[Tommy] I did the first ascent of the Muir Wall.
我先试了Muir Wall 的第一条攀升线
-[Beth] The West Buttress 线路.
-[KeIIy] Dihedral Wall线路.
[Dad]Magic Mushroom.线路
[Long] Anybody that does a first ascent on El Capitan
每一位成功完成El Capitan首次攀爬线路的人
has their place in history forever.
都名垂千古
Tommy did five of them.
Tommy完成了五条线路
[Beth] Anything he could dream up, he did it.
每一个想到的梦想,他都要去实现
And everyone in the climbing world is like, “What the hell?”
在攀岩界大家都感觉是深渊的
[Long]He’s Mr. El Cap.
就是El Cap岩墙
[John] The best big wall climber ever.
是攀岩者可能拥有的最棒大岩墙
[Kelly] And Beth was with him all the time,
Beth一直和他在一起
climbing all of these routes together.
一起攀爬这些线路
[Beth] We just poured our hearts into climbing
我们把心都给予了攀登
and supporting each other on these goals.
彼此支持去完成这些目标
[Long] It was quite a team.
就是像一个团队
[KeIIy] They were known as the first couple of climbing.
他们俩以攀登夫妻档著名
There was one word Beth and Tommy.
就一个字:Beth 和Tommy
[Tommy] We get married.
我们结婚了
We ended up buying property like 20 minutes from El Capitan
我们到离开El Capitan 只有20分钟路程的地方买♥♥了地
and building a house there.
建了一所房♥子
We’re nearly there!
几乎就在那里
[Tommy] We were just going to live in Yosemite
我们要去优胜美地生活
and raise our kids there and keep climbing.
生儿育女,继续攀登
I was good friends with them both
我和他俩都是好友
and we were next-door neighbors.
还是隔壁邻居
They seemed so happy.
看起来他们那么快乐
[Tommy] I’m like, wow, this life
我一直觉得,哇,这才是生活
that I never even saw coming in the first place
我一直都没有想到会发生啥
is starting to just magically appear.
只是等待奇迹自现
Things are going seemingly really well,
看起来事事都好
at least from my mind.
至少我心里是这么觉得的
But I’m noticing, over time, little cracks started to form.
但,随着时间过去,我也注意到一些细小的裂痕
The first inklings of almost hostility towards me.
最初对我的排斥迹象
There was all this weird tension.
有一种奇怪的紧张
And I was just like,
我当时觉得
well, we’ve been together for eight years now.
在一起八年了
Marriages go through troubling times.
婚姻都有艰难时刻
We’ll get through this and just keep climbing.
我们会克服过去,继续攀岩的
[Beth] I think there was a natural growing apart,
我想,这是一种自然而然的分离
desires we had outside of climbing.
攀岩以外的驱动
I think going through a super intense experience
我想通过经历一种超紧张状态
like Kyrgyzstan…
比如像吉尔吉斯斯坦事件
I mean, we were so young.
我意思是,我们都太年轻
Years later, there’s probably a lot that started to come out,
多年以后,也许会发生更多
healing that I hadn’t done.
我无法完成的心理愈合
And at some point, the climbing we had
那时候
wasn’t enough glue to hold it together anymore.
我们一起攀岩的状态也无法弥合彼此
[Kelly] In Kyrgyzstan,
在吉尔吉斯斯坦
Beth was extremely traumatized by those six days,
那六天的经历,对Beth的心理创伤很严重
and Tommy was the person who saved them.
Tommy 救了他们
And so from that, I think
从那个角度,我猜
a sort of dependency probably developed
他们俩之间有可能有一种依赖
that isn’t necessarily the same thing as true love.
并不等同于真爱
[Tommy] Eventually,
最终结果是
she started feeling something for somebody else.
她爱上了别人
And…艾
I don’t know how to summarize this.
不知道该怎么描述总结
This is kind of a hard thing to talk about, but…
谈论这事真是很难,但
that relationship with her and this other man just solidified
她和那个人的关系已经稳定
in a way that she couldn’t walk away from that anymore.
她当时无法一走了之
And she wanted that more than she wanted me.
比起需要我,她那时更需要他
Once the divorce fully happened, I…
等离婚落定
Yeah, I was just crushed.
是呀,当时我是崩溃的
I drove to the rim of Yosemite Valley
我开车到优胜美地的山边
and was looking across at El Capitan.
朝 El Capitan 望着
It felt like El Cap was all I had.
好似 El Capitan 就是我的一切
Early in the morning,
清早
there’s this one panel of the Wall that illuminates first.
岩墙上有一大♥片♥岩石会首先闪耀起来
That’s why it’s called the Dawn Wall.
这是人们起名黎明墙的来由
The last unclimbed big swath of stone.
最后一块人们从未攀爬过的大岩体
I had looked at it a little bit before and knew
我看了好一会儿
that it was way too hard, I’d never be able to do it.
知道这条路太难,我可能根本就完成不了
But I was just hurting so bad
但在心灵受伤的那时刻
that I had to figure out a distraction in life.
我必须找到生活的另一面
I couldn’t just sit there and feel the pain.
不能一味坐着,经历悲伤
I decided to go up there alone
我于是决定独自攀登
and beat myself up on the Wall as just a way to cope.
用攀登黎明墙来战胜自我,作为面对生活的方式
I walked around the back to the top of El Cap.
我从山后绕上 El Capitan 山顶
I started rappelling down from above.
把绳索放下去
And I put in a camp so I could stay up there.
架了一顶帐篷,然后可以呆在那儿
And I started going through this process
探索
of searching for a way to climb this section of the Wall.
可以攀爬这一部分大岩体的路
The specific path was totally unknown.
具体的路径全然是未知的
You look for weaknesses in the rock.
在岩石之中找出薄弱点
Corners that you can wedge your body into.
那些可以把身体楔入的石头角落
Cracks for your hands and toes.
可以放住手足的缝隙
Little edges for your fingertips.
手指可以扒住的点滴岩石边缘
Anything that you could possibly grab onto
任何可以抓牢的部位
that would make this wall climbable.
这样才有爬上去的可能
At first, it was just hanging on the rope,
开始时,挂在绳索上
analyzing the surface of the rock
分♥析♥岩石表面
to see if there was holds.
查看可以抓住的地方
Just finding something to obsess about
好似拼命找到沉迷的事物
so I wouldn’t obsess about my divorce.
避免落入离婚的困局
[Kelly] I think it’s probably important
我认为这事很重要
that it was an impossible level of rock climbing.
因为这是一种几乎不可能发生的攀岩
When you absorb yourself in some magnificent challenge,
当你沉浸在某种崇高的挑战中
there is no space to be thinking about anything else.
就没有心思去考虑其它了
You know, if you’re heartbroken,
你懂的,在心碎时刻
just throw yourself into an impossible wall.
把自己投身到一堵不可完成的岩墙
[Tommy] So I was sitting up there through this storm.
因此那时,我面临内心的暴风骤雨,枯坐着
My wife has left me.
老婆离开了
She was the only person I had climbed with
她是我攀爬的唯一同行
for, like, ten years.
有十年之久
In my portaledge at night,
那一夜,在悬吊帐篷里
weeping and really feeling sorry for myself,
泪奔,自怨自怜
trying to find this elusive thing
企图找到逃避的路
that probably didn’t even exist.
也许根本就不存在
[Dad] I was concerned.
我关注到
He just seemed to be suffering at that point.
他那时内心受伤很重
And I wanted to see what this was all about,
我也想这是怎么了
so early on in the game I went up there with him.
所以我上去和他一起
[Tommy] I convinced my dad to come up there and belay me,
我说服我老爹上来,帮我放安全绳
so I could start actually trying to climb sections of the route.
这样我就能真正探索攀登的线路
-[Groans] -What the heck?
怎么啦?
[Dad] I really had my doubts as to whether it was going to be
我真是很疑惑
a viable climb.
这是不是可行的攀爬
-[Dad]Be safe. 保持安全
-[Tommy]I will. 会的
-[Dad] Get strong. 挺住
-[Tommy] Yup. 会的
But during that period of time,
就在那段时间
he became convinced that it was somehow possible.
他开始相信,也许是可行的
[Long] Tommy spent an entire year
Tommy花了整整一年功夫
swinging around looking for a route up the Dawn Wall,
晃动在岩石上,寻求黎明墙的登顶途径
trying to connect the dots
尝试把零落的攀爬岩点连接起来

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!