可是我们人手多 个个都能干
but there’s plenty of us to work and we’re all good men.
把工资金凑起来
Get good wages out there and put it all together
生活便会好转
and we’ll be all right.
高工资金靠采果吗
Good wages, eh? Picking oranges and peaches?
有什么我们就采什么
Well, we aim to take whatever they got.
有什么好笑的
What’s so funny about that?
有什么好笑的我刚从哪儿回来
What’s so funny about it? l’ve just been out there.
亲身经历过 就这样空着肚子回来
l’ve been and seen it. l’m going back and starve
我宁肯一下子饿死
because l’d rather starve all over at once.
你说什么
What do you think you’re talking about?
这里有张传♥单♥说那里工资金很高
l got a handbill says they’re paying good wages.
报纸上说他们急需采果工
l seen in the papers they need pickers.
那您自便 没人拦着您
All right, go on. Nobody’s stopping you.
-你什么意思 -我没打算跟你搅混
-Yeah, but what about this? -l ain’t gonna rile you. Go on.
等等 你说了傻话
Wait a minute, buddy. You just done some jackassin’.
现在想住口来不及了
You can’t shut up now.
传♥单♥说他们需要800采果工
lt says they need 800 pickers.
你嘲笑说没这回事 谁在撒谎
You laugh and say they don’t. Which one’s the liar?
-都有谁拿到了这张传♥单♥ -我有
-How many of you all got them handbills? -l got one.
-我也有 -我们都有
-l got one. -We all got one.
-这说明什么 -清一色的黄色传♥单♥
-What does that prove? -There you are. Same yellow handbill.
“招募800采果工”
800 pickers wanted.
倘若需要800个采果工他会印发5000份传♥单♥
All right, the man wants 800 men. So he prints 5,000 handbills
两万人会看到这份传♥单♥
and maybe 20,000 people see ’em.
两三千人
And maybe two or 3,000 people
因为这张传♥单♥赶往西部
start west on account of that handbill.
两三千饥寒交迫的人
Two or 3,000 people that are crazy with worry
赶往西部抢夺800个工作机会 明白了吗
heading out for 800 jobs. Now, does that make sense?
你是谁捣乱分子
Say, what are you, a troublemaker
你难道也是捏造消息的人
You sure you ain’t one of them labour fakes?
我发誓我不是
l… l swear l ain’t, mister.
那就别到处煽风点火
Don’t you go around here trying to stir up any trouble.
我只想告诉大家我用一年才发现的事实
l tried to tell you folks what it took me a year to find out.
我的妻儿都因此死去
Took two kids dead. Took my wife dead to show me.
没人肯告诉我
But nobody could tell me neither.
我可怜的孩子躺在帐蓬里
l can’t tell you about them little fellows laying in the tent
肚皮肿胀
with their bellies swelled out
瘦骨嶙峋
and just skin over their bones.
瑟瑟发抖 像幼崽一样呜呜着
Shivering and whining like pups.
我四处找活儿干
And me running around looking for work.
不是为钱 不是为工资金
Not for money. Not for wages.
就为了一把面粉 一块猪油
Just for a cup of flour and a spoon of lard.
验尸官来了
Then the coroner come.
他在报告中写道
”Them children died of heart failure,”
“孩子们死于心脏病”
he said. He put it down in his paper.
心脏病
Heart failure?
他们的肚皮明明肿得像猪泡
And their little bellies stuck out like a pig bladder.
我们得去睡觉了
Well, it’s late. l got to get some sleep.

Well…
晚安
Good night, folks.
他说的是事实吧
Suppose he’s telling the truth, that fella?

He’s telling the truth.
不过只是对他而言的事实
The truth for him.
他没有捏造
He wasn’t making it up.
他说的是实话吗
Was it the truth for us?
我不知道
l don’t know.
佩科斯河
新墨西哥
我要出去
l got to get out, l tell you.
我要出去
l gotta get out now.
-你们要买♥♥什么吗 -汽油 先生
-You folks aim to buy anything? -We want some gas, mister.
-带钱了吗 -难道我们乞讨不成
-Got any money? -What do you think? We’re begging?
我只是问问而已
l just asked, that’s all.
好 我们不是讨饭的
Well, ask right. You ain’t talking to bums.
我只是问问而已
All in the world l done was ask.
这里有什么派
What kind of pie you got?
波萝 香蕉 巧克力和苹果派
Banana, pineapple, chocolate and apple.
来块香蕉乳酪 一杯爪哇咖啡
Cut me a hunk of that banana cream and a cup ofjava.
-两杯 -马上就来
-Make it two. -Two it is.
最近有没有见到什么好画 比尔
Seen any good etchings lately, Bill?
有张不错的
Well, this one ain’t bad.
有个小孩上学迟到了 老师说
A little kid comes late for school and the teacher says…
停停
Cheese it.
能卖♥♥给我们一块面包吗
Could you see your way clear to sell us a loaf of bread, ma’am?
这里不是杂货店 我们的面包要做三明治
This ain’t a grocery store. We got bread to make sandwiches.
我知道 我们有位没牙的老太太
l know, ma’am. Only, it’s for an old lady.
必须用水泡了才能吃
No teeth. Got to soften it with water so she can chew it,
她饿了
and she’s hungry.
买♥♥个三明治不行吗我们的三明治很好吃
Why don’t you buy a sandwich? We got nice ones.
我也想买♥♥
Well, l sure would like to do that, ma’am.
可我们没那个钱
But the fact is, we ain’t got but a dime for it.
我们的钱全都为这次旅程计划好了
lt’s all figured out -l mean for the trip.
一角买♥♥不到面包
You can’t buy no loaf of bread for a dime.
我们只有15美分的
We only got 15-cent loaves.
-把面包给他 -面包车来之前我们就没了
-Give him the bread. -We’ll run out before the bread truck comes!
没就没
All right, then we run out!
这是15美分的面包
This here’s a 15-cent loaf.
你能不能…
Well, would you…
能不能切一角的分量
could you see your way to cutting off ten cents worth?
-给他 -不行 先生 我们只想买♥♥一角的面包
-Give him the loaf. -No, sir. We wanna buy ten cents worth.
去吧 反正是昨天的面包
Go on, it’s yesterday’s bread.
拿去吧 伯特说让你们拿去
Go ahead. Bert says to take it.
好 经济这么紧张听起来可笑
Well, it may sound funny,
但我们有1000英里的路要走
being so tight, but we got 1,000 miles to go
还不知道能不能到达
and we don’t know if we’ll make it.
这些糖是卖♥♥一分一块的吗
ls them penny candies, ma’am?
-哪些 -带条纹那些
-Which ones? -There, them stripy ones.
噢 它们啊
Oh, them.
不是
Well… no.
-一分两只 -给我们两只好了
-Them’s two for a penny. -Give us two then, ma’am.
去 拿着
Go on, take ’em, take ’em.
谢谢 太太
Thank you, ma’am.
-那些糖不是卖♥♥一分两块的 -关你什么事
-Them ain’t two-for-a-cent candy. -What’s it to you?
那些是卖♥♥五分一块的
Them’s a-nickel-apiece candy.
我们走吧 时间不多了
We better get going. We’re dropping time.
-再见 -等等 有零钱找给你
-So long. -Wait a minute, you got change coming.
留给你吧
What’s it to you?
伯特
Bert.
看看
Look.
不愧是卡车司机
Truck drivers.
您正在离开新墨西哥 欢迎再来
亚利桑那州欢迎您
国家检查站 牲畜检查站
-你们去哪儿 -加州
-Where you going? -California.
打算在亚利桑那呆多久
How long you plan to be in Arizona?
只是路过而已
No longer than to get across.
-有植物吗 -没有
-Got any plants? -No, no plants.
好 继续 不要停下
OK, go ahead, but keep moving.
我们本来就打算一直前进
We aim to.
亚利桑那州 威尔罗杰斯公路
亚利桑那州 科罗拉多河
那里就是了 牛奶和蜂蜜之地
Well, there she is, folks. The land of milk and honey.
加利福尼亚
California.
我们大老远就为了这个
Well, if that’s what we came out here for…
康尼 另一面可能会漂亮很多
Connie, maybe it’s nice on the other side
记得那些漂亮的明信片吗
Them picture postcards, they was real pretty.
奶奶 这就是加州
There, Grandma. There’s California.
我们走吧 她对我并不像看着那样坏 是吧 约翰
Let’s get going. She don’t look so tough to me, eh, John?
我不知道
Well, l don’t know.
坐好
Hold on!
亚利桑那州
千针林欢迎您来到加利福尼亚
-水不太凉吧 汤姆 -不凉 下来就好了 爸
-Ain’t too cold, is she, Tom? -No, it’s fine when you get in, Pa.
来 约翰 我们下去洗一洗
Come on, John. Let’s give her a whirl.
这对你的身体有好处 爸

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!