You reckon they’re dead?
没听说过有这回事
l never heard nothing about it.
汤姆
(man) Tommy?
莫里
Muley.
-我的家人呢 -他们走了
-Where’s my folks, Muley? -Why, they gone.
我知道 上哪儿去了
l know they’re gone, but where are they gone?
莫里 你认识牧师吧
lt’s Muley Graves. You remember the preacher, don’t you?
-我不再是牧师了 -好 你认得他吧
-l ain’t no preacher any more. -All right. You remember the man?
-幸会 -我家人呢
-Glad to see you again. -Now, where are my folks?
走了 到你约翰叔叔那里去了
They gone. They gone to your Uncle John’s.
半月前全走了
The whole crowd of ’em. Two weeks ago.
可是那儿也待不久 因为约翰也要被赶走了
But they can’t stay there, cos John’s got his notice to get off.
出了什么事为何要走
What happened? How come they gotta get off?
我们在这里住了50年
We lived here 50 years, same place.
所有人都得走
Everybody’s gotta get off. Everybody’s leaving.
到加州去
Going out to California.
你家人 我家人 所有人
Your folks, my folks, everybody’s folks.
除了我之外 我才不走
Everybody except me. l ain’t getting off!
-谁干的 -听
-Who done it? -Listen.
它是元凶
That’s some of what done it.
风沙又再吹了
The dusters. They started it, anyways.
像这样年复一年
Blowin’ like this year after year.
把土地吹走 把粮食吹走
Blowin’ the land away. Blowin’ the crops away!
现在又要把我们吹走
Blowin’ us away now.
你疯了
Are you crazy?
有人说我是疯了 想知道一切经过吗
Some say l am. You wanna hear how it happened?
我问的正是此事
That’s what l’m asking you, ain’t it?
事情经过是…
Well… the way it happens,
在我而言…
the way it happened to me…
有一天来了一个人
A man come one day…
在风沙侵害了土地后
After what them dusters done to the land,
佃农制已维持不下去了
the tenant system don’t work no more.
连度日都难 更别提利润
They don’t break even, much less show profit.
一人一部拖拉机就可以种12到14户的土地
One man and a tractor can handle 12 or 14 of these places.
只要付够工钱就行
You just pay him a wage and take all the crop.
可是我们将一无所有
Yeah, but we couldn’t do on any less than what our share is now.
小孩会没饭吃
The children ain’t getting enough to eat as it is.
他们又爱玩…
And they’re so ragged,
别的小孩吃的饱我们会丢脸的
we’d be ashamed if everybody else’s children wasn’t the same.
我也无能为力 我是奉命行事
l can’t help that. l got my orders.
我奉命叫你们搬走
They told me to tell you to get off.
-我只能把话传到 -叫我们离开自己的土地
-That’s what l’m tellin’ you. -You mean get off my own land?
-别怪我 又不是我的错 -那是谁的错
-Don’t go to blaming me. lt ain’t my fault. -Whose fault is it?
你知道地主是谁 夏尼畜牧公♥司♥
You know who owns the land. Shawnee Land and Cattle Company.
-谁是夏尼畜牧公♥司♥ -不是人 是公♥司♥
-Who’s Shawnee Land and Cattle Company? -Nobody. lt’s a company.
他们有老板吧
They got a president.
他应该知道枪是作什么用的
They got somebody who knows what a shotgun’s for!
也不是他的错
Oh, son, it ain’t his fault
是银行下的命令
because the bank tells him what to do.
好 银行在哪儿
All right. Where’s the bank?
你找到了又有什么用呢
Tulsa. What’s the use of picking on him?
他只是经理
He ain’t nothing but the manager.
费尽心思地执行东部传达的命令
He’s half crazy trying to keep up with his orders.
-我们该找谁算帐 -我不知道
-Then who do we shoot? -Brother, l don’t know.
如果知道我会告诉你的 我实在不知道该怪谁
lf l did, l’d tell you. l just don’t know who’s to blame.
谁也别想
l’m right here to tell you,
赶走我
mister: there ain’t nobody gonna push me off my land!
我祖父七十年前在此落户
My grandpa took up this land 70 years ago!
我老爸在此地出生
My pa was born here.
有人在这里被杀
We was all born on it! And some of us was killed on it!
有人死在这里
And some of us… died on it.
所以它是我们的土地
That’s what makes it our’n.
生在这儿…
Being born on it,
耕作在这儿…
and workin’ on it…
死在这儿
and dying… dying on it!
不能任由一纸公文就…
And not no piece of paper with writing on it…
怎么回事
Well, what happened?
他们来了 他们来赶我走
They come. They come and pushed me off.
-他们带来了”毛虫” -什么
-They come with the cats. -The what?
“毛虫” 就是推土机
The cats, the caterpillar tractors.
每部机器至少
And for every one of ’em,
压平了十到十五户家庭的土地
there was ten, 15 families thrown right out of their homes.
上百个家庭因此无家可归
100 folks. And no place to live but on the road.
兰斯家 彼得家 贝里家 乔德家
The Rances, the Peterses, the Perrys, the Joadses…
一个接一个被赶走
One right after the other, they got thrown out.
我们认识的家庭半数以上被赶出家门
Half the folks you and me know thrown right out into the road.
一个月前他们来到我家
The one that got me come about a month ago.
滚回去
Go on back!
我警告你 滚回去
Go on back! l’m warning you! Go on back!
你再过来我就开枪了
You come any closer and l’m gonna blow you right out of that cat!
我说真的
l told you!
你是乔•戴维斯的儿子
You’re Joe Davis’ boy.
我也不想被人拔枪相向
l don’t like for nobody to draw a bead on me.
那你为何开那机器对付自己人
Then what are you doing this for? Against your own people.
为了一天赚三块钱
Three dollars a day, that’s what l’m doing it for.
我有两个小孩
l got two little kids at home.
太太 岳母要养活
My wife. My wife’s mother. Them folks gotta eat.
我得为自己家人着想
First and only, l think about my folks
其他人的事我管不了
What happens to others is their own lookout.
你不知道吗这是我的土地
Yeah, but you don’t understand, son. This is my land!
以前是 现在是公♥司♥的了
Used to be. lt’s the company’s now.
随你怎么说
Have it your own way, son.
可是只要你敢动我的房♥子
Butjust as sure as you touch my house with that cat,
我就打烂你的脑袋
l’m gonna blow you plumb to kingdom come!
你谁也奈何不了
You ain’t gonna blow nobody nowhere!
首先 他们会吊死你
First place, they’d hang you and you know it.
过两天
lt wouldn’t be two days
又会有人过来
before they’d send a guy to take my place.
快让开
Now go on! Get outta the way!
有什么用他是对的
What was the use? He was right.
我无能为力
There wasn’t a thing in the world l could do about it.
似乎不可思议
lt’s just… it don’t seem possible
一切就这样毁掉了
just getting throwed off like that.
我的家人已往西去了
The rest of my family set out for the West.
这儿没吃的
There wasn’t nothing to eat,
可是我不能走 有什么东西牵扯着我
but… l couldn’t leave. Something just wouldn’t let me.
现在我只好四处为家
So now l just wander around and sleep wherever l am.
我常告诉自己我在照顾一切
l used to tell myself that l was looking out for things
等家人回来 一切都会好的
so that when the folks come back, everything would be all right.
可我知道我在自欺欺人
But l knowed it wasn’t true.
这儿没什么好照料的了
There ain’t nothin’ to look out for.
不会有人回来了
And there ain’t nobody ever coming back.
他们走了
They’re gone!
而我
And me…
只是个老游魂
l’m just an old graveyard ghost.
我就是个老游魂
That’s all in the world l am.
我是否有圣灵俯身
Do you think l’m touched?
没有
No.
你很孤独 但…
You’re lonely, but…
没有
you ain’t touched.
没关系
Well, it don’t matter.
圣灵附不附身都无所谓
lf l’m touched, l’m touched and that’s all there is to it.
我实在不明白我家人如何忍♥得下
The thing l don’t understand is my folks taking it. Like Ma.
拿我妈说 她用一只活难差点打死一小贩
l seen her nearly beat a pedlar to death with a live chicken.
她本打算用另一只手中的斧头
She aimed to go with an axe in the other hand, got mixed up
可是她搞混了
forgot which was which.
等小贩走后
When she got through with that pedlar,
她手上只剩下两条难腿
all she had left was two chicken legs.
一个…
Just a…
一个坟场老游魂
Just a plain old graveyard ghost.
如此而已

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!