Yes, that’s correct.
布莱克夫人的申请 最开始是由我处理的
The initial claim from Mrs. Black was assigned to me.
根据公♥司♥当时的规定
Pursuant to company policy at the time,
我给她发了一封拒赔信
I sent her a letter of denial.
为什么
Why?
为什么
Why?
因为所有的索赔请求 一开始都是拒绝的
Because all claims were initially denied.
所有的索赔请求
All claims?
所有的
All claims.
听着 他们是这么干的
OK, this is how it works.
保单
The policy…
是挨家挨户在穷♥人♥区兜售的
Is sold door to door in the poorer neighborhoods.
每周用现金结款
Paid in cash each week.
如果有理赔申请 就交给某个业务员处理
The claim comes in and is assigned to a handler.
所谓的处理 其实就是低级的打字
That’s basically a low level paper pusher.
不管是什么申请 业务员看过申请后
Anyway, the handler reviews it
就马上给投保人回信
and immediately sends a letter to the insured
拒绝赔付
denying the claim.
然后理赔部会把档案发给保险部
The claims handler then sends the file over to underwriting.
保险部会给理赔部复函
Underwriting sends a memo back to claims
注明 未经保险部同意 不得赔付
saying, “don’t pay this until you hear from us.”
对了 你要记住
Now, what you should keep in mind
虽然这些人都是为这个大公♥司♥干活
is that even though all these people work for this big company,
即使他们都在同一大楼里工作
and they all work in the same building,
他们却互不相识
they don’t know each other.
也不知道彼此的部门打算怎么办
Nor do they know what the other department is up to.
这些都是有意如此的
Now, this is very intentional.
部门之间互相敌视 互不关心
The departments are kept at war with each other.
同时
Now, meanwhile,
保险的客户们
there’s the client.
不停的接到这种拒付信
And they’re getting all these letters.
有些来自理赔部 有些来自保险部
Some from claims, some from underwriting,
大多数人就此放弃了
and most people give up.
而这些 当然
And this, of course, is…
也是经过精心设计的
Intended.
你的下一个证人 贝勒先生
Your next witness, Mr. Baylor.
原告方传召 杰琪莱曼切克
Plaintiff calls Jackie Lemancyzk.
他说什么
What’d he say?
反对 法官大人
Objection, your honor.
我可以过来和您说话吗
Approach the bench?
可以
You may.
这是突然袭击 法官大人
This is a complete surprise, your honor.
为什么 她是可传召的证人之一啊
Why? She’s listed as a potential witness.
但我们应该提前得到通知的
We have a right to be forewarned.
你什么时候找到她的
When did you find her?
我从来不知道她失踪了啊
I didn’t know she was lost.
你得回答这个问题 贝勒先生
It’s a fair question, Mr. Baylor.
这是我第一个案子
Well, it’s my first trial.
那也不行
That’s not good enough.
这事关公平 法官大人
It is a matter of fairness, your honor.
我们应该事前知道你要传召的证人
We have a right to be notified about your witness.
我同意
I agree.
你是说 她不能出庭作证
Are you telling me she can’t testify?
在预审名单中有她的名字 法官大人
She’s listed in the pretrial order, your honor.
根据第26条法律第6款
Pursuant to rule 26.06,
我们有权传召她为证人
we have the right to call her as a witness.
反对无效
Objection overruled.
去背一遍吧
Go memorize.
请告诉法庭你的姓名 以便记录
State your name for the record.
杰琪 莱曼切克
Jackie Lemancyzk.
莱曼切克小姐
Miss Lemancyzk,
你为巨大福利保险公♥司♥工作了多久
how long did you work for Great Benefit?
6年
6 years.
什么时候结束的
And when did your employment end?
10月30日
October 30th.
你为什么不干了
How did it end?
我被解雇了
I was fired.
你是说你不是辞职的
You mean you did not resign?
不 我是被辞退的
No, I was fired.
我可以上前询问证人吗 法官大人
Approach the witness, your honor?
要求批准
You may.
我有些疑惑啊 莱曼切克小姐
I am baffled, Miss Lemancyzk,
我这里有封信
because I have this letter here,
上面说 你因为私人原因辞职的
and it says you quit for personal reasons.
这是在撒谎
The letter is a lie.
我是被辞退的
I was fired so the company could claim
这样公♥司♥就可以说我不在那里干了
that I no longer worked there.
你可以向法庭指出
Can you please point out the man in the courtroom
是谁让你写了这封信的吗
who made you write this letter?
杰克安德霍尔
Jack Underhall.
他告诉我我必须马上离开
He told me I was leaving immediately,
当时我有两个选择
and I had 2 choices…
我可以说这是开除 而我就一无所获
I could call it a firing and leave with nothing,
不然我就可以写那封信
or I could write that letter,
说这是辞职
call it a resignation,
而公♥司♥会给我1万美元现金
and the company would give me $10,000 in cash
让我保持沉默
to keep quiet.
而且我当时 必须马上在他面前做出选择
And I had to make that decision right there in his presence.
请继续
Go on.
我拿了钱
I took the cash…
而且我还签了一份保证书
And I also signed a letter saying I would never discuss
保证不和任何人谈论我经手的理赔申请
any of my claims files with anybody.
包括布莱克家的理赔申请么
Including the Black file?
特别是布莱克的申请
Specifically the Black file.
那你知道那个申请应该得到赔付
So you knew that claim should have been paid?
谁都知道
Everybody knew…
但公♥司♥玩的是赌赔率
But the company was playing the odds.
赌什么
What odds?
赌投保人不会去请律师
The odds that the insured would not consult a lawyer.
就是说 在那段时间内
Now, during that time…
你是高级理赔审核员么
You were a senior claims examiner?
是的
Yes, that’s correct.
那么在那段期间 你有没有
During that time, was there ever an occasion
得到任何指示
when you were given instructions
告诉你该如何处理这些申请
regarding how you should handle claims?
一年之内拒绝一切赔付
Deny all claims for a year.
把省下来的钱加起来
Add up the money saved,
扣除庭外和解所需的开销
deduct the amount spent on quick court settlements,
还会剩下一大笔
and there’s a pot of gold left.
请允许我接近书♥记♥员 法官大人
Approach the clerk, your honor?
批准
You may.
谢谢
Thank you.
请给我第6号♥证物
Number 6, please.
这是被标记为
Here’s what has heretofore been marked
第6号♥证物的文件
defense exhibit number 6.
你认得它吗
Do you recognize this?
是的 这是巨大福利保险公♥司♥的理赔手册
Yes. It’s a Great Benefits company claims manual.
请你帮我个忙
Would you do me a favor
翻到第U项吗
and just flip over to section “U,” please?
这里没有第U项
There is no section “U.”
但是你在做高级理赔审核员的时候
But do you remember a section “U”
你记得那里有第U项
when you were a senior claims examiner?
是的 我记得
Yes, I do.
第U项是附加条款
Section “U” was an executive memorandum
位于高级审核员的工作手册中
in the senior examiners manual.
谢谢你
Thank you.
法官大人
Your honor,
这是杰琪莱曼切克真正的高级理赔手册
this is Jackie Lemancyzk’s actual senior claims manual,
这里面有一项附加条款
and within it, there is an executive memorandum
被列为第U项
entitled section “U.”
我请求上前询问

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!