how many were denied?
我可能找不到 这需要更多时间
I don’t think I could. That would take more time.
奇利先生 你已经找了两个月了
You’ve had 2 months, Mr. Keeley.
现在回答这个问题
Now answer the question.
这个 我
Well, I…
我觉得
I don’t think…
9141件
9,141.
1♥1♥4♥62份理赔申请
11,462 filed.
9141份被拒赔
9,141 denied.
法官大人
Your honor…
我还有一份文件
I have yet another document.
这是巨大福利保险公♥司♥医学委员会
This is a report
提供的一份报告
from Great Benefit’s medical committee.
依照先例 请求将此文件
Request permission under previous precedent
呈送给奇利先生
to present it to Mr. Keeley.
反对 同样的理由 法官大人
Same objection, your honor.
反对无效 不过记录下这一反对
Overruled. Objection noted.
谢谢你
Thank you.
呃 奇利先生 这是巨大福利保险公♥司♥
Uh, Mr. Keeley, that is a report
自己的医学委员会写的报告
from Great Benefit’s own medical committee,
而你是这个委员会的主席
which you chaired.
请你从第18行读起好吗
Would you please read from line 18?
由于骨髓移植
Since bone-marrow transplants
已经成为标准治疗方式
have become standard procedure,
巨大福利公♥司♥投资骨髓临床治疗的决定
Great Benefit would be financially justified
将是有利可图的
in investing in bone-marrow clinics.
请求上前询问证人 法官大人
Approach the witness, your honor?
批准
You may.
谢谢
Thank you.
你看到了
There you go.
再读大声一点
A little louder.
反对 法官大人 无意义重复
Objection, your honor. Repetitious.
反对无效
Overruled.
我希望陪审团成员都能听到这些
I want the jury to hear this.
由于骨髓移植
Since bone-marrow transplants
已经成为标准治疗方式
have become standard procedure,
巨大福利公♥司♥投资骨髓临床治疗的决定
Great Benefit would be financially justified
将是有利可图的
in investing in bone-marrow clinics.
有利可图
Financially justified.
这就是巨大福利公♥司♥的真♥相♥ 是吧
That’s what it’s all about at Great Benefit, isn’t it?
我问完了
Tender the witness.
德拉门德先生
Mr. Drummond.
没有问题 但是我们坚持反对意见
No questions. We rest on our objections.
你可以下去了 奇利先生
You’re excused, Mr. Keeley.
谢谢
Thank you.
鲁迪
Rudy.
快点 起床了 快点 到时间了
Come on. Get up. Come on. It’s time.
快点 快点
Let’s go. Come on, come on.
赔付1000万美元意味着什么呢
What will giving a judgment of $10 million accomplish?
所有的保险公♥司♥都会提高售保门槛
All insurance company premiums will spin out of reach,
这将造成
and it will pave the way
政♥府♥垄断医疗保险的局面
for government-controlled health coverage.
陪审团成员们 你们的职责重大
Yours is a grave responsibility.
要明智
Be wise,
要谨慎
be careful,
要公正
and be just.
公正地作出判决
Be just.
谢谢你 法官大人
Thank you, your honor.
贝勒先生 你可以作结案陈词了
Mr. Baylor, your rebuttal.
谢谢你 法官大人
Thank you, your honor.
陪审团的女士们先生们
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury…
每当我想起丹尼雷布莱克
When I think of Donny Ray Black…
呼出最后一口气 慢慢死去的时候
Gasping for his last breath of air and slowly dying…
我就痛恨自己
I am disgusted with myself…
我学了这么多法律
And with the entire legal profession
但却无法挽救他
that could not save him.
我觉得我是个不称职的律师
I don’t even feel good enough about myself as a lawyer
我没有资格作这个结案陈词
to make my own summation.
所以 我希望由丹尼雷来做
So I thought I’d… I’d let Donny Ray do that.
请展示16号♥证物
It’s exhibit 16.
我现在体重110磅
I weigh 110 pounds.
而11个月前 我还重160磅
11 months ago, I weighed 160.
我的白血病确诊很久了
The leukemia was detected in plenty of time.
我在医院治疗的时候
I was in the hospital being treated
医生发现
when the doctors realized
唯一可以挽救我的生命的
that the only thing that could save my life
就是骨髓移植
would be a bone-marrow transplant.
可我只能出院
So, I got released from the hospital,
因为我家无力承担
’cause my family couldn’t afford to pay
-这笔费用 -为什么
-the bill for what they had recommended. -Why?
-巨大福利保险公♥司♥拒绝了我们的理赔请求 -过来吧
-Great Benefit insurance denied our claim. -Come on.
没事
It’s OK.
如果我能接受骨髓移植
If I had had a bone-marrow transplant,
我有90%的机会存活下来
I would have had a 90% chance of living.
我希望你们和我一样感到震惊
I hope that you are astonished as I am,
在被告这样一家财力雄厚的大公♥司♥
At the lengths to which a wealthy insurance company,
的长♥期♥运作中
like the defendant,
他们一直从低收入家庭中吸金
will go to take money from a low-income family
通过拒赔合理的赔付请求 把钱据为己有
and then keep it by denying a legitimate claim.
难怪他们请得起那么贵的律师
It’s no wonder they spend so much money on their lawyers
花重金游说和公♥关♥
and their lobbyists and their public relations machine
来让我们相信 法律需要改革
to convince us we need tort reform,
需要停止惩罚性的赔偿
that we need to put an end to punitive damages.
在此 我恳求陪审团
I’m asking you, the jury…
作出
Just…
你们内心深处 认为正确的决定
Do what you think is right in your hearts.
如果你们不对巨大福利保险公♥司♥作出惩罚
If you don’t punish Great Benefit…
你们可能就是下一个受害者
You could be their next victim.
我说完了
That’s it.
别紧张
Don’t be nervous.
陪审团有结论了吗
Has the jury reached a verdict?
是的 我们已经作出结论了 法官大人
Yes, we have, your honor.
你们已经按我的要求 写在纸上了么
Is it written on paper, according to my instructions?
是的
Yes, sir.
请读出你们的结论
Please read the verdict.
我们陪审团 认为原告方
We, the jury, find for the plaintiff
应被赔偿 实际损失
and award actual damages
15万美元
in the amount of $150,000.
并且 我们陪审团 认为被告方
And we, the jury, find for the plaintiff
应付与原告 惩罚性赔偿
and award punitive damages
5000万美元
in the amount of $50 million.
全体起立
All rise.
这些人试图隐瞒事实
These people were trying to hide things
逃避责任
and trying to get away with something they were, uh…
最后他们都被抓到了
And they got caught at it.
更引人注目的是
Another remarkable part of the story…
这个案子的主律师 鲁迪贝勒
the lead attorney on the case Rudy Baylor
这是他主打的第一场案子
was trying his first case.
不管从什么人的观点来看
That’s a staggering verdict,
这都是个惊人的判决
I think, by anybody’s estimation.
这肯定是金额最高的
It’s certainly one of the largest…
呵呵 我的小帮工干的不错嘛
Well, not bad for a yard boy.
其实 这没什么难的
Well, it wasn’t that difficult, really.
我们只是有个很好的陪审团
We just had a great jury is what we had,
然后事实纷纷出现
and the facts just fell into place.
5000万美元的惩罚性赔偿
$50 million in punitive damages.
5000万美元
$50 million?
是的
Yeah.
你能挣多少
How much do you get?
你快抓住重点了 是吧
You get right to the point, don’t you?
对不起 我不是这个意思

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!