– 由市政厅吗? – 没有
– There’s a town hall? – No.
我有个告示要张贴一下
I got me a notice to paste up.
我们有个小教堂 那个可以吗?
We got the mission house. That do you?
当然行
Sure.
她干了什么?
What’d she do?
失踪了!就这些我猜有人在挂念着她
Missing! That’s all it says. I guess somebody’s been missing her.
传闻说她上次在这里附近出现过
Heard tell she was last seen around here.
我们已经在整个郡都张贴了告示
We’ve putting these things all over the county.
如果有人看见她 他们应该报告警♥察♥吗?
And if somebody sees her, they ought to go to the police?
我想是的
I guess that’s the idea.
这些人看来永远不会轻易放弃
These men were never gonna give in easily.
他们现在把告示贴的整个郡都是
Now these posters they hang all over in the county.
也就是说没有人怀疑她和我们在一起
which means nobody suspects she’s right here with us.
但是那是个警♥察♥ 汤姆
But it was a policeman, Tom.
我们不是有责任报告警♥察♥的吗?
Isn’t it a duty to respond to the police?
我是说 从法律上来说
I mean, legally speaking.
我很抱歉 我只是…当我紧张时…
I’m sorry, I just… when I get upset.
她只是个失踪者她没有做过任何事 那个警♥察♥是这么说的
She’s just a missing person. She hasn’t done anything. He even said so.
我想你们应该再次投票
I think you should vote again.
为什么?我们不能总是用投票来解决问题
Why? We can’t resort to plebiscites time and time again.
得了吧 谁会因为她的头像
Come on. Who’s really got cold feet
在一张纸上就紧张的手心发麻呢?
because of her picture on a piece of paper?
第五章 七月四日独♥立♥日
CHAPTER FIVE “Fourth of July after all”
七月四日那天黄昏榆树街上漫天飞舞着
[Narrator] The 4th of July came with the huge clouds of
从远处草坪上飘来的飞絮
seeds from some remote meadow gracefully floating down Elm Street in the early evening.
今天是个庆祝的日子 没有人去担心艰难的时候
Today was a day for celebration. Nobody was to worry about the hard times.
格蕾丝可以满足地在玛英吉尔的橱窗前驻足
And Grace could stop at Ma Ginger’s window quite content:
确定只有两个剩下的小雕像
to ascertain that only two of the little china figurines remained,
她还没有足够的积蓄买♥♥下来
and were thus the only two she had not yet been able to save up enough to purchase.
– 看上去太棒了 姑娘们… – 嗯哼…
– It looks great, girls… – Uh- huh…
格蕾丝 你今天可以在果园里和我再呆上两小时吗?
Grace, could you put in a couple of hours with me in the orchard again today?
那里的阳光的确不错
It’s really nice down there with the sunshine!
查克 今天是独♥立♥日!你怎么开始谈论起阳光来了?
Chuck, it’s the fourth of July! What are you talking about sunshine for?
你难道变成像我那样的浪漫主义者了吗?
Have you turned into a romantic like me?
我们会好好享受一下!
We’re gonna have fun.
而在冬天我们都会挨饿…
And in the winter we’ll all starve…
甚至本都休息了
Even Ben’s taking the day off.
– 嗨! – 嗨 汤姆!
– Hi! – Hi, Tom!
格蕾丝 你有空吗?
Grace, you’ve got a moment?
现在?
Now?
是的 我有些事想和你说
Yeah. I’ve got something interesting to tell you.
好吧 但是最好快点
Well, it has to be quick.
我的脑袋里有太多的念头…
I’ve got so much going on in my head…
那你一定很累!
That must be very tiring for you!
我想我对镇上的居民已经做了不错的分♥析♥
I think I’ve done a pretty good analysis of the folks in this town
而且我想我已经足够了解他们
and I think I understand them in a meaningful way.
但是当我试图对你解码 我总是一无所获
But when I come to decipher you, I get absolutely nowhere.
你知道丽兹…丽兹是个单纯的人
You know Liz… Liz is easy to read.
而且我们彼此有些动心
And there was some attraction between us,
但是我可以看透她
but as I can see right through her,
我是说从思想上 我可以把她看得很透彻
intellectually I mean, I can see right through her,
我的欲望是一种纯粹的原始冲动
my desire is purely of a physical nature.
但是和你 就要更…复杂得多
But with you, it’s more… it’s more complicated.
你想说些什么?
What are you trying to say?
不 我应该首先理清我的思路
No, I should get it clear in my head first.
你是想说…
Are you trying to say that …
你爱上我了吗?
you’re in love with me?
不 我不是…爱是…
No, I wouldn’t… love is…
它不是…它是个太重的词…
It’s not… It’s a big word…
是的
Yeah.
是的
Yeah.
那很好!
That’s good!
因为…
because …
我想我也爱上你了
I think that I am in love with you, too.
很有趣 不是吗?
Very interesting, isn’t it?
我是说从心理学上来看很有趣…
I mean it’s interesting in a psychological…
他们叫你了吗?我想他们在叫你
Did they call you? I think they are calling you.
我没听见
I didn’t hear them.
没有
No.
不管怎么样你也许该回去了
You should probably get back anyway.
我们在婚礼上…庆祝活动上见
I will see you at the wedding. Next celebration…
今年我没有带任何便条
This year I didn’t bring any notes with me.
因为我不再想假装我能够看见便条
Because I’m not gonna pretend I can read them.
我想说的是 一个观点
Which brings me to a point. A point I wanna make.
而那个观点是你 格蕾丝
And that point is you, Grace.
是的 你已经把狗镇变成了一个美好的地方
Yes. You have made Dogville a wonderful place to live in.
事实上 有人告诉我他们在街上看见脾气暴躁的老查克
As a matter of fact, somebody tells me they ran into grumpy old Chuck down the street
而他是在笑
and he was actually smiling.
我得说我从没看见过你笑
Well, I’ve never seen your smile,
格蕾丝但是我打赌我可以形容你的笑容
Grace, but I will bet you I could describe it.
因为显然你的笑容
Because it obviously has every color
和世界上最漂亮的鲜花一样灿烂
that’s reflected from the shiniest prism in the world.
你也许有个配得上这笑容的容貌
You probably have a face to match that.
汤姆 是不是这样?
Does she have a face to match that, Tom?
– 是的 先生 – 嗯? – 是的 先生!
– Yes, sir. – Hmm…? – Yes, sir.
我打赌她有我们为拥有你感到万分骄傲
I bet she does. We are proud to have you among us.
而且我们感谢你向我们展示了你是谁
And we thank you for showing us who you are.
为你干杯 格蕾丝
Here to you, Grace.
你能呆多久就他妈的和我们呆多久吧!
Stay with us as long as you damn please.
一辆警车正在转过坎宁路
A police car has just been seen in town
向这里开来
and it has just made the turn up Canyon Road!
那么它随时会出现
So he will be here any minute.
我该去敲钟吗?
Shall I ring the bell?
不 玛莎格蕾丝可能已经听见了
No, Martha. Grace probably heard.
我们会很快打发走他们的
We’ll get rid of ’em quickly.
别担心
Don’t worry.
我本来也该在参加庆祝活动 如果不是因为这个
Should have been celebrating myself, if this hadn’t come up.
我得换掉这个失踪者启示
Have to change this missing person notice.
又是那个女士
It’s that lady again.
那就是为什么她失踪了
That’s why she disappeared.
她因为西海岸的一系列银行抢劫案被通缉了
She’s wanted in connection with some bank robberies on the West Coast.
这些抢劫案什么时候发生的?
When did these robberies take place?
上两个星期
Last couple of weeks.
你们这里消息闭塞 对吧?
You don’t get much news up here, do you?
我爸爸的收音机只是用来放音乐的
My dad’s radio only plays music.
好吧 我所知道的只是他们说她很危险
Well, all know is that they say she’s dangerous,
而任何知道她下落的人都该立即通知我们
and that anyone with any information about her had better call us pronto.
这是法律规定的
That’s the law.
两个星期前!不可能是我们的姑娘 汤姆
Two weeks! Can’t be our girl, Tom.
是的 她一直都在这里
No, she’s been here all the time.
对!
Right!
她不可能做了那些他们指控她的事
She couldn’t have done what they are accusing her of.
对 汤姆 你说得很对
No, that’s true, Tom, you are right.
总是有那些令人不快的事 像往常那样
Still it’s an unpleasant business just the same.
格蕾丝还是老样子 城镇也一样
[Narrator] Grace was the same and so was the town.
那些暴徒指控格蕾丝从而诋毁她的企图
That the gangsters had fixed to have charges made against Grace in their effort
并没有引起什么轩然大♥波♥
to neuralize her came as no surprise.
但是还是让一切都有了些变化
But everything had changed a little yet again.
我告诉你 你这边背上的肿块
I’m telling you, you have exactly the same kind of little lump
和那边的没什么两样
in exactly the same spot on the other side of your back.
是吗?
Really?
我可以肯定那是你身体的一部分 当然你是医生 所以…
I can only assume that it belongs on your body, but you’re the doctor, so…
好吧 这不太可能 你说对吗?
Well, it’s very unlikely, don’t you think?
癌细胞恐怕不会如此对称地生长
that a cancer would develop in such precise symmetry.
爱迪生先生 饶了我吧 我们已经这样做过无数次了
Mr. Edison, please. We’ve been over this so many times.
一切都是可能的
Anything is possible.
我想你该接受这个事实
I think you have to accept the fact
你还是一个无比健康的老绅士
that you are an exceptionally healthy elderly gentleman.
我想和平常那样休息一会儿
I’m gonna rest just the same.
我们明天早上见
I’ll see you in the morning.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!