我不知道
I don’t know.
我得好好想想
I might have to do some thinking.
等等…我们少了颗棋子
Wait, wait, … the … we’re missing a piece.
我们玩不了了
We won’t be able to play.
我今天晚上清醒的很
My mind is sharp tonight.
晚安 比尔
‘Night, Bill.
第一章 汤姆在听见枪声的地方遇到了格蕾丝
CHAPTER ONE in which Tom hears gunfire and meets Grace.
尽管他尽力拖延了时间
[Narrator] Despite considerable effort on his part to prolong things,
汤姆还是很快地赢得了胜利
Tom had achieved the triumph at the checkerboard pretty quickly.
这时已经开始下起了雨风势也大起来了
It had started to rain and the wind had become a regular gale
当汤姆从榆树街漫步回家的时候
when Tom strolled home through Elm Street.
如果汤姆想在明天向狗镇的居民证明
If Tom were to prove that the citizens of Dogville had a problem
他们难以接受他的讲道的话
receiving in his lecture in the next day
他的确缺少一个例子 一件礼物
he sorely lacked an illustration, a gift.
比尔也许是对的
Bill might have been right.
老天还没有给这个镇什么恩赐
It hadn’t exactly rained gifts on this particular township.
没错
There was no doubt in his mind.
那的确是枪声
They were gun shots.
那不可能是沼泽地那边的打桩机的声音
The pile driver in the marshes didn’t sound like that at all.
枪声是从山谷那边传来的
The shots had come from down in the valley,
或者也许来自乔治敦方向的坎宁路某地
or perhaps from Canyon Road some place in the direction of Georgetown.
他等了好久是否能听到更多的枪声 但是那没有发生
He listened for more shots for ages. But they were not repeated.
汤姆略微失望地在那老妇人的板凳上坐下来思考
A tad disappointed, Tom sat down on the old lady’s bench to think,
沉浸在一种恐惧危险来临的气氛中
to hang onto the feeling of danger for a moment.
但不久他就又开始考虑起他最为热衷的主题来
But it wasn’t long before his thoughts were back on his favorite subjects again,
并且在风雨中它们变换成了他的词句…
and in the midst of the storm they metamorphosed into articles
小说和听众
and novels and great gatherings
默默地倾听着汤姆的又一次
that’d listen in silence to Tom after the publication of yet another volume
灵魂探求后的内心独白
that scourged and purged the human soul.
他看见人们 甚至别的作家
And he saw men, and among them even other writers,
手挽着手 倾听着他的语句
throw their arms round one another as, through his words,
并且因此开启了新的生活篇章
life had opened up for them anew.
这不是容易的过程
It hadn’t been easy.
但是汤姆努力地通过
But by his diligence and application to narrative
灵活的表达艺术传输了他的思想
and drama his message had gotten through,
如果你问他的技巧 他会告诉你一个词
and asked about his technique he would have to say but one word:
“举例说明”
“illustration”.
汤姆可以这样在板凳上又呆上半个小时
Tom could have spent another half hour or more on the bench,
但是另外一个不平常的声音打断了他
but another unusual noise roused him.
莫斯的叫声
It was Moses barking.
哦 叫声本身并没有什么稀奇 但是这次它叫的方式有所不同
Oh, that wasn’t unusual in itself, but it was the way he barked that was new.
叫声并不响亮 更像是低沉的咆哮
His barking was not loud, but more of a snarl,
就像是危险近在咫尺 而不是过路的狐狸或者浣熊
as if the danger was quite close at hand and not merely a passing raccoon or fox.
听上去那狗正和某种值得抖擞精神对待的力量对峙
as if the dog were standing face to face with a force to be taken seriously.
嗨 女士!最好别上那儿去
Hey, Lady! I wouldn’t go up there if I were you.
我了解那山 我不认为我能够从那里活着出来
I know the mountain well, I doubt if I’d get away with my life.
那是个很危险的陷阱
It’s a very nasty drop.
还有别的路吗?
Is there another way?
是的
Yeah.
哪里?
Where?
从你来的路 往回到乔治敦
Back down the way you came from. Back down to Georgetown.
你为什么要翻过山去?
Why do you need to get out of the mountain?
你和那些枪声有关系吗?
Did you have anything to do with those gunshots?
帮帮我 求你帮帮我
Help me, help me please.
你可以躲在那矿里 在那边!
You can hide in the mine, in there!
嗨 这路通向哪里?
Hey, where’s this road headed to?
这是个死路!
No where. It’s a dead end.
如果你想穿过去 转回去从乔治敦那里走
If you want to pass, turn around, go back by way of Georgetown.
这里…呃…叫做狗镇
This place… uh… it’s called Dogville.
狗镇?也许有道理 这是我听到过最蠢的地名
Dogville? Well it figures, it’s a stupid name if I ever heard one.
嗨 我们在找一个人…
Hey, we’re looking for somebody…
哦 是吗 是谁呢?
Oh, really, who might that be?
我的老板想和你谈谈
My boss wants to talk to ya.
– 年轻人 – 是的 先生
– Young man. – Yes, sir.
我在找一个女孩
I’m looking for a girl.
她可能走错路到了你的镇上
She may have made her way to your town in her confusion.
我不希望她受到伤害 你知道 她对我来说很珍贵
I don’t want any harm to come to her. You see, she’s very precious to me.
好吧 先生 呃…最近狗镇这里没有生人出入
Well sir, uh… nobody’s been through Dogville recently.
否则莫斯会叫的它对陌生人很警醒
Moses would have barked. He’s very suspicious of strangers.
啊哈…莫斯是很聪明的狗
Ah ha… That’s very wise Moses.
请拿着我的名片 如果…呃…你看到一个陌生人
Please take my card and if perhaps… uh… you see a stranger,
给我打个电♥话♥
give me a call.
我会给你可观的酬劳
I am in a position to offer a considerable reward.
好的先声谢谢你
Yes sir. Thank you.
呃…那是你们开的枪吗?
uh… say was it you that fired those shots?
好了他们走了 你想现在出来吗?
Well they’re gone. You want to come out now?
你想在爬山之前喝杯咖啡吗?
You want a cup of coffee before you go mountain- climbing?
那很好
That would be nice.
这个美丽逃亡者的名字叫格蕾丝
[Narrator] The beautiful fugitive’s name was Grace.
她并没有从地图上选择狗镇作一次拜访
She hadn’t chosen Dogville from a map or sought out the township for a visit,
但是汤姆立刻觉得她属于这儿
yet Tom felt right away that she belonged.
我可以拿走那骨头吗?
Shall I take the bone?
她本可以保护起自己的弱点
[Narrator] She could have kept her vulnerability to herself,
但是她选择了把自己…
but she had elected to give herself up to him at random.
当作…是的…一个礼物给了汤姆
As… yes… a gift.
“慷慨 非常慷慨” 汤姆想
Generous, very generous”, thought Tom.
你想吃点什么吗?你一定很饿了吧?
You want to eat? You must be hungry?
我不能
I can’t.
那面包不是我应得的!
I don’t deserve that bread!
我偷了那骨头我以前从来没有偷过东西
I stole that bone. I haven’t stolen anything before.
所以现在 我应当惩罚自己
So now, now I have to punish myself.
我从小就在傲慢的家庭里长大 所以我要教会自己些东西
I was raised to be arrogant, so I had to teach myself these things.
好吧 也许对你的教育来说那样做很好…
Well, it may be best for your education…
但是格蕾丝 在这个镇上…
Grace, in this town in these times…
如果拒绝吃放在你面前的食物是很不礼貌的行为
it is very impolite not to eat what’s set before you.
我很抱歉
I’m so sorry.
那车里的男人是谁?为什么他们想要伤害你
Who were the men in the car? Why would they want to hurt you?
那个坐在车后排的男人 他是老板我看见他的脸
The man in the back of the car, he’s the boss. I saw his face.
他给了我他的电♥话♥ 告诉我如果我看见你 给他打电♥话♥
He gave me his telephone number, told me to call if I saw you.
我肯定如果你告诉他我在哪里 他会给你一笔可观的酬劳
I’m sure he’d offered you a big reward if you told him where I was.
是的
Yeah.
你的家人在哪里?
Where’s your family?
我没有家人了
I don’t have a family.
我只有个父亲…
All I had was a father…
但那些暴徒把他从我这里夺走了
but those gangsters took him away from me.
如果我说你可以呆在这里呢?
What if I said you could stay here?
这里?
Here?
即使你是诚心的 也不可能啊
But even if you meant it, it’s impossible.
这是个很小的城镇 而我必须躲起来 人们会有疑心的
It’s very small town, I have to hide. People will ask questions.
好吧 那也许不是问题 如果他们都会帮助你的话
Well, it might not matter. Not if they all wanted to help you too.
你是说他们都和你一样吗?
Are you saying that everybody in this town is like you?
他们是好人 你知道 他们是诚实的人
They’re good people. You know, they’re honest people.
他们都自给自足
They’ve all been in need themselves.
也许他们会拒绝你 但是…
They might well turn you down, but…
我想这个麻烦值得去做
I think it would be worth the trouble to ask.
但是我没有什么作为回报的
But I got nothing to offer them in return.
不 我想你有足够的东西回报狗镇
No, I think you have plenty to offer Dogville.
如果把翌日汤姆的讲道会上
[Narrator] To call the mood of the audience at Tom’s morale lecture
听众的情绪称为
in the mission house the next day,
“热情洋溢”的话恐怕过头了点 虽然的确有过
“enthusiastic” would have been going to far, but they had come.
并且汤姆勇敢地努力
And Tom had launched himself fearlessly
试图证明人们的问题在于
into his endeavor to illustrate the human problem:
接受
To receive.
这个主题很显而易见 但是汤姆有点操之过急了
The subject was obvious, but quite dreadfully ill- considered by this young man.
为了弥补他的缺乏准备 汤姆频繁地使用了
To compensate for his lack of preparation Tom made diligent use of his technique
从各个角度猛烈攻击的技巧
of lashing out somewhat haphazardly in all directions.
他的父亲悄悄地打量着四周来估量听众的情绪
His father peered around covertly to gauge the mood,
感觉到大家可能对这样的直接批评不太满意
and sensing that the assembly was not entirely happy with this rather direct criticism,
因此他决定先发制人来预防任何可能的抗♥议♥
he decided to forestall any protest.
我确定你是希望我们大家好 汤姆
Now I’m sure that you wish us well, Tom,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!