但是 呒
but um… of any town,
我认为我们镇上的气氛与任何社区相比都算是和睦的
I believe this one has a very fine sense of community.
我们比邻而居 相互了解
Living side by side we all know one another.
我相信我的评价相当中肯
I’m a pretty fair judge of character myself.
说实话 汤姆 你又来了
Honestly, Tom, you’ve done it again.
让我们大家来这里听上一通胡扯
Made us come here to listen to a lot of nonsense.
你把自己当成什么了 某个哲学家吗?
What do you think you are, some kind of philosopher?
观察者 我想
Observant, that’s what I am.
懒惰 我宁愿说我们至少一起铲雪
Lazy, I would say. We shovel snow together.
我们一起铲雪?
We shovel snow together?
是的
Yeah.
各家自扫门前雪而已
Every household clears their own front walk.
是的 我得说汤姆在这点上是对的
Yeah, I gotta allow that Tom’s right on that.
如果道路没有得到清除…
If roads don’t get cleared properly…
我很抱歉 汤姆 你必须得有些更好的点子
I’m sorry Tom, you’re going to have to come up with something better than that.
但是如果大家都更乐于接受别人
But the whole country would be better served
整个国家都会因此受益
with a greater attitude of openness and accenpance.
你是在说如果有人需要帮助 而我们不愿意伸出援手吗?
You’re suggesting that we all wouldn’t help out if someone needed help.
不 那不是问题所在 那不是
No, that’s not the point. That’s not the point.
我们关心这里的每个人
We care for human beings up here.
我们也许永远都无法发现
We would probably never find out.
因为看来没有人愿意承认存在问题
Since nobody seems to want to admit that there’s a problem,
让我举例说明
let me illustrate.
现在我不会用那些已经发生过的事情来作为例子
Now I’m not going to use something that’s already happened.
我要用某个即将发生的事来举例
I’m going to use something that’s just about to happen.
在向惊讶的狗镇的居民们
[Narrator] And, after providing a quick summary of the events of the previous evening
简单陈述了昨天晚上发生的事后
to the astonished people of Dogville,
汤姆把躲藏在矿里的逃亡者带来了
Tom went down to the mine to retrieve the fugitive from her hideaway.
请允许我介绍格蕾丝·格蕾丝 这些是狗镇的居民们
Allow me to introduce Grace. Grace, these are the citizens of Dogville.
– 你们好 – 你好
– Hello. – Hello.
汤姆已经告诉了我们你的困境 小姐
Tom has told us about your predicament, Miss.
我真的不想牵连你们中的任何一个
I really don’t want to put any of you in jeopardy.
你为什么不直接去找警♥察♥?
Why don’t you just go to the police?
他们可以对付那些暴徒!这是他们的工作
They can take care of gangsters! It’s their job.
我 我不觉得那是个好主意货运业可能因而…
I, I don’t know if that’s such a good idea. The transportation business would uh…
本!
Ben!
那些人 他们神通广大 即使和警♥察♥部门
These men, they have powerful connections, even with the police.
你觉得我们应该提供庇护所给一个逃亡者吗?
Do you think we should give sanctuary to a fugitive?
一个暴徒们想要的逃亡者 那会让我们都身处险境的
A fugitive that gangsters wanna get a hold of. That would put us in pretty pickle.
放松点 克莱尔…你可是有哮喘的人
Easy, Claire… think of your asthma.
狗镇是个不错的藏身处 那没错
Dogville is a good place to hide, that’s for certain.
事实上 唯一能到这里的路是坎宁路
Exactly. The only way up here is Canyon Road.
玛·英吉尔的…抱歉…好管闲事的堂妹就住在那岔路附近
That could easily be watched by Ma Ginger’s…excuse me…nosey cousin
她可以很容易地监视那里
who lives only yards from the turn off.
她有电♥话♥ 玛莎 你可以敲钟
She has a telephone. Martha, you could ring the bell,
告诉镇上如果有人来了
tell the town if people were coming.
但是汤姆 钟是报时用的 这样会把大家搞糊涂的
But Tom, I chime the hours, what if people get confused with all the ringing?
来吧 玛莎如果需要 我们当然也可以用那钟来救人
Come now, Martha. Surely we can use our old bell to save a life, if need be.
我们为什么要这样?
Why should we?
因为我们在乎 查克 我们关心他人
Because we care, Chuck. We care for other human beings.
不 那不是我的意思
No, that ain’t what I mean.
我们怎么知道这个女人说的是真话?
How do we know that this woman is telling us the truth?
也许那些暴徒的确朝她开枪了
Maybe these gangsters did shoot at her,
但这不等于她是值得信任的
but that don’t make her somebody to be trusted.
他是对的你们凭什么相信我呢?
He is right. Why would you trust me?
我相信你!
I trust you!
汤姆 我们不是暴徒!
Tom, we’re not gangsters.
我们只关心我自己的事 我们无求于人
We mind our own business we don’t ask nothin’ from nobody.
那么最后你们终于承认了!
So at last you admit it!
除非有什么法子可以让我们相信这位年轻女士的话
If only there were some way, we wouldn’t doubt the young lady’s word.
让我们了解她的办法…
some way to know her…
那样我想我们都会愿意冒风险的
Then I think we would all ignore the risk.
但是方法是有的!你自己说的
But there is a way! You said it yourself.
和她比邻而居
By living side by side with her.
爸爸 你很善于察人
Dad, you are such a fine judge of character.
像你这样的人要看清她需要多久呢?
How long would it take a good man like you to unmask her?
一个星期?也许两个?
A week? Maybe two?
我们当然可以给她两个星期
Surely we can offer her two weeks.
而且如果在此之后仍然有人喊道“走开”的话
And if after that time so much as one man cries out ‘BE GONE!’
我保证我会乐于送她离开
I promise I’ll happily send her packing herself.
好吧 如果汤姆阁下认为这对大家有益 对社区有益
Well, if Master Tom thinks this is right for us, and for the community,
那么我没有异议他也许还年轻 但他有一颗正直的心
then that will do for me. He might be young, but his heart is right.
而且我从小就了解他的为人
And I’ve known his heart for as long las it’s been beating.
那天的讲道会没有人再说话
[Narrator] No more words were spoken at the town meeting in the mission house.
但就这样决定了 他们都认为应该给这逃亡者两个星期
But it had been decided, they all felt, that the fugitive would be given two weeks.
并且他们都能够问心无愧地
And they would all be able to look at themselves in the mirror and know
说他们已经尽力了
that they had done what they could,
事实上 已经超过比大多数人会做的了
indeed, and perhaps more than most people would have done.
那么那个下午 汤姆带着格蕾丝在榆树街上漫步
So that very afternoon Tom took Grace on a stroll down Elm Street to
为她介绍这个他热爱的地方
introduce her to the town “he loved”.
这里是奥利维和朱恩住的地方
Well, this is where Olivia and June live.
朱恩是个瘸子…我父亲好心地收留了他们
June is a cripple… They live here as a token of my dad’s broadmindedness.
查克和维拉有七个孩子 并且他们彼此讨厌对方
Chuck and Vera have seven children and they hate each other.
隔壁是汉森家
Next door we have the Hensons.
他们靠打磨廉价玻璃制品
They make a living from grinding edges off cheap glasses
使其增值来挣钱谋生
to try to make them look expensive.
这里是杰克·麦凯的家 整个镇都知道杰克·麦凯是个盲人
And here we have Jack McKay. Now, Jack McKay is blind and the whole town knows it.
但是他以为他可以躲在家里隐瞒这一点
But he thinks he can hide it by never leaving his house.
本的卡车停在那个旧马厩
In the old stable Ben keeps his truck.
他酗酒 每个月他都要去妓院 尽管他引以为耻
He drinks and he visits the whorehouse once a month and he is ashamed of it.
玛莎打点小教堂直到新的牧师来
Martha she runs the mission house until the new preacher comes
这恐怕永远都不会发生
which will just never happen.
那是玛英吉尔和格萝丽亚
That leaves Ma Ginger and Gloria.
他们开了家物价昂贵的小店
They run this really expensive store,
充分利用大家都不出远门的事实
where they exploit the fact that nobody leaves town.
他们曾经为了投票而出门
Used to leave to go vote,
但自从报名费和这些人一天的收入所得相当后
but since they put on the registration fee,
他们不再觉得有民♥主♥的必要了
about a day’s wage for these people, they don’t feel the democratic need any more.
那些丑陋的小雕像来描述这镇上的居民恐怕比任何言语都强
Those awful figurines say more about the people in this town, than many words.
如果这是你爱的城镇 那么你表达喜爱之情的方式的确奇怪
If this is the town that you love, then you really have a strange way of showing it.
我所看到的 只是一个坐落在雄伟山脉中得漂亮小镇
All I see, is a beautiful little town in the midst of magnificent mountains.
一个即使在最艰难的条件下人们仍然抱有希望和梦想的地方
A place where people have hopes and dreams even under the hardest conditions.
并且那七个小雕像一点都不难看
And seven figurines that are not awful at all.
把狗镇称为美丽的地方是新颖的
[Narrator] Calling Dogville beautiful was original at least.
如果在几天前格蕾丝在看上那些雕像一眼的话
Grace was just casting one more look at the figurines
她恐怕要认为自己没有品味了
she herself would have dismissed as tasteless a few days earlier,
她突然察觉到的是
when she suddenly sensed what would best have been described
狗镇的微妙变化
as a tiny change of light over Dogville.
他们在观察你
They are keeping an eye on you.
如果你已经喜欢他们了 他们也许需要一点劝说
If you love them already, they might need a little persuading.
你有两个星期来让他们接受你
You’ve got two weeks to get them to accept you.
你使这听上去我们是在玩游戏
You make it sound like we are playing a game.
是的 你的命难道不值得你去玩这样一个小游戏吗?
It is. We are. Isn’t saving your life worth a little game?
你要我怎么做?
What do you want me to do?
你能干体力活吗?
Do you mind physical labour?
可以!
No!
狗镇给了你两个星期
Dogville has offered you two weeks.
现在你可以…
now you offer them…
第二章 格蕾丝听从了汤姆的建议 开始体力劳动
CHAPTER TWO in which Grace follows Tom’s plan and embarks upon physical labour.
狗镇接下来的一天天气好极了
[Narrator] The next day was a beautiful day in Dogville.
玛英吉尔家院子里的醋栗树的嫩枝都舒展开了
The tender leaves on Ma Ginger’s goosberry bushes were unfurling
尽管汤姆认为她的耕耘方法值得商榷
despite wise Tom’s misgivings as regards her gardening methods.
但是更重要的是 格蕾丝工作的第一天
But more than that, this first day of spring had also benn picked
恰好就是春天到来的第一天
to be Grace’s first ever day of work.
那一天是她在狗镇
The day in which she was to set off around Dogville
为每家居民工作一个小时的第一天
and ofeer herself one hour per household per day.
对不起
Excuse me.
我想帮你点忙 有没有什么我可以帮你干的?
I would like to offer you my help… if there is anything that you need?
是的…但汽化器没有漏油…
Yeah… A carburetor that don’t leak…
好了 让我来吧
alright here, let me take that.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!