所以我提出你需要休息一下
and that made me suggest that maybe you should have some time off.
而且你知道吗 没有一个人反对
And you know, not one single person objected.
真是太好了
That sounds wonderful.
我知道会很好的 是吗?
I know it does, doesn’t it?
这座小镇的人们使我一次又一次的吃惊
The people of this town they surprise me again and again.
我几乎要改变我的观点了
I might even have to revise my theories a little bit.
你知道我最恨改变我的观点了
You know how much I hate doing that kind of thing.
你知道吗 格蕾丝 昨天晚上我回来的时候
You know, Grace, last night when I came back
看到你睡得那么甜
and I saw you lying there asleep so sweetly,
我突然来了灵感 把小说的第一章写完了
I was suddenly inspired. I wrote the first chapter of a story.
这是一个关于一个小镇的故事
A story about a small town.
你猜我从哪里得到的灵感?
Guess where I got the inspiration?
我还没给这个小镇起名字呢
But I haven’t come up with a name for the town yet.
– 为什么不用狗镇? – 不行的
– Why not just call it Dogville? – Wouldn’t work.
不 那样不行的 必须得通用
No, it wouldn’t work. It’s got to be universal.
很多作家都在这里犯错误
Lot of writers make that mistake, you see.
嘿 你想听我读给你吗?
Hey, do you want me to read it to you?
如果里面有一丝的爱 那也来源于你
If there is any love in it, it comes from you…
如果我说不你会生气吗?
Would you be offended, if I said no?
– 不 – 如果今天真属于我的话 我想…
– No. – If I really do have the day to myself, I…
不 不…
No. No…
如果两个人怀疑彼此对对方的爱 那只会互相伤害
Two people only hurt each other if they doubt the love they have for one another.
你可以以后再读
You can read it some other time.
你坐在一个地方向山上瞭望
You sit down some place and gaze out at the mountains.
那是我小说中的女孩所做的
It’s what the girl in my novel does.
– 回头见 – 再见 但愿有好消息!
– I’ll see you later. – I’ll see you. Good news!
[旁白]自然的
[Narrator] Sensibly,
格蕾丝选择了期待好结果而不是等待坏消息
Grace chose to hope for the best rather than fear the worst,
她想洗洗衣服 平静的渡过一天
and planned to spend the day calmly washing her clothes and herself,
不知为什么
which, for some reason or another,
她肯定汤姆虚构的小镇上的人们
she was sure none of the characters
做梦也不会这样过的
from Tom’s fictitious township would dream of doing.
其后狗镇似乎在等待着
And then it was as if Dogville just waited.
连风都停了 小镇处于平静之中
Even the wind dropped, leaving the town in an unfamiliar calm.
似乎有谁盖上了一个奶酪盘的罩子
as if somebody had put a large cheese dish cover over it,
产生了一种在生人来访之前的寂静
and created the kind of quietness that descends while you are awaiting visitors.
休息了两天之后格蕾丝回去工作了 但寂静还持续着
After two days off Grace had been put back to work, but the quietness remained.
的确 寂静越来越重 到第五天变成了一种奇怪的气氛
Indeed it intensified until on the fifth day it swelled into a strange mood
使全镇的人突然都跑到街上聆听
that, all of a sudden, brought all the citizens to the street to listen.
他们互相询问电♥话♥是否还没通
They asked each other if the phone was really still down,
或者他们是否听说本在去乔治敦的路上
or if they’d heard about Ben having had to turn his truck around
不得不回头
on his way to Georgetown
因为那天早上一个大树倒在路上把路挡住了
that very morning on account of a large tree blocking the road.
他们并不担心
They were not worried.
说担心并不确切接着汤姆看到的那些车
“worried” was not the right word, and then Tom spotted the cars.
汤姆有一个望远镜但用肉眼也能看见
Tom has binoculars. But you can see ’em with the naked eyes.
至少有八辆!
There must be at least eight!
我以为路被挡住了
I thought the road was blocked.
他们肯定是在树倒之前过来的
They must have come through before the tree came down.
朱恩的床!床单该换了我就来
June’s bed! The sheets need changing. I’ll be there in a minute.
你好 朱恩
Hello, June.
[旁白]格蕾丝刚刚上♥床♥ 朱恩又弄脏了
[Narrator] Grace had just started on the bed, which June had soiled yet again,
感觉到时间又白废了 她有些生气
when an irritating feeling of wasting her time forced itself upon her.
她不加思索的说
And it was without thinking she then said the words:
谁也别在这睡
Nobody gonna sleep here.
[旁白]她没有大声说出来
[Narrator] She didn’t say them out loud,
但尽管如此 她还是对这种自言自语而吃惊
but even so she was startled by the uttrance that had urged itself upon her.
这些不吉利的话从何而来?
Where had these ominous words come from?
那天晚上格蕾丝干完活回家时天已经黑了
Darkness was falling as Grace made her way home from work that evening.
在广场上向山谷里瞭望的人
The people on the square overlooking the valley
已经不再报希望能看到什么
had finally given up hope of seeing anything else
因为光线已经弱下去了
now the light had faded.
他们走在艾尔姆街上 一团失望
They trudged up Elm Street in disappointment.
– 汤姆? – 嘿 格蕾丝
– Tom? – Hi, Grace.
那边有些车子 但太黑了 看不见
There were some cars, but it’s too dark, we can’t see any more.
我们没见多少面了
We haven’t seen much of each other.
是啊 我知道我在忙着写我的书呢
Yah, I know. I’ve been busy with my book, you know.
我可以问你点事吗?
Can I ask you something?
可以随便问吧
Yeah, anything.
你没法把它扔掉 对吗?
You couldn’t bring yourself to throw it away, could you?
那天晚上他给你的数字 你没法扔掉
The number he gave you that night. You couldn’t throw it away.
我告诉了你那个人有多危险真太傻了
I told yhou how dangerous that man was. That was stupid.
[旁白]傻或不傻 汤姆很快地开始劝说
[Narrator] Stupid or not, Tom was soon a passionate spokesman for
大家要把格蕾丝关在她的屋子里
locking Grace in her shed that night.
如果那些车子真的说明汤姆五天前代表全镇
If the vehicles were indeed a sign that the call Tom had placed five days earlier
给那张卡片上的号♥码打的电♥话♥
on be half of the community to the number indicated on the card from his bureau drawer
已经起了作用
had at last led to action,
格蕾丝将要从他们的生活中被清除
and Grace was now to be eliminated from their lives,
那么把她关起来会看上去更好
it would surely look good if the town had also locked her up.
当杰森拿着钥匙被派去时格蕾丝正躺在床上
Grace was lying on the bed when Jason was sent up with the key.
格蕾丝听见钥匙转动的声音
Grace heard it turn in the lock,
但她正沉浸于一些争吵与思考中
but she was deeply absorbed by arguments and thoughts on matters
她对那些东西已经躲避了快一年了
she had otherwise avoided for the best part of a year now.
第九章 狗镇迎来了一次期待已久的访问 电影结束
CHAPTER NINE in which Dogpville receives the long-awaited visit and the film ends.
他们最终听到一辆又一辆的车子
From the moment when they’d finally heard the sound
一辆又一辆的车子
of vehicles starting one after the other
从树林边上开过来的声音
from the direction of the edge of the woods,
从此事情进行的很快
things had moved rapidly.
汤姆组织了一个接风代表团
Tom had arranged a delegation to provide a proper reception.
狗镇可能很偏僻 但却好客
Dogville might be off the beaten track, but it was hospitable, nevertheless.
欢迎 先生们 欢迎
Welcome gentlemen. Welcome.
全镇听候你们的调遣!
The town places itself at your disposal!
我应该给你们一个大钥匙 但我只有这个小的
I should have a large key to give to you. But I only have this small one.
– 她在哪? – 就让这个钥匙守着呢
– Where is she? – Secured by this very key.
她在哪?
Where is she?
好了如果你们在猜想那是什么声音
Okay. If you are wondering about that sound.
那是在为建新的监狱打桩
The driving piles for the new penitentiary.
告诉我 全国的犯罪率真是像我们想像的那样
Tell me, has the crime rate really gone up in this country,
上升了吗?
as we are lead to believe?
也许因为人们嫉妒他人的成功 所以把事情都当成犯罪吧?
Maybe people just regard things as criminal, because they envy their success?
你对此是怎么看的?
What’s your opinion on the subject?
也许你没有看法我来开门…对不起
Maybe you have none. I’ll get the door… sorry.
像法国人说的 乌拉!
Voila! As the French might say.
这是什么?
What the hell is this?
那是谁干的?
Who did that?
比尔 举起手来!举起手来!
Billy, put your hand up, put your hand up.
把她用链子拉着我们觉得安全点
We felt safer, when she had the chain on.
也许你们更会对付她这种人
You are probably more adapted at handling her kind.
我们没有一个人能够为帮助别人而收钱的
None of us feel able to accept money for just helping people.
我是说除非你觉得那会使你感觉更好的话
I mean not unless it would make you feel better to diverst yourself.
– 住嘴! – 是
– Shut the hell up! – Absolutely.
[旁白]格蕾丝并不是辨认高级轿车的专家
[Narrator] Grace was no expert in exclusive automobiles,
可是她一下就听出来
yet she recognized with no difficulty
那辆正从坎宁路的角落
the sound of vehicle that was rounding the corner
转过来的车的声音了
from Canyon Road at that very moment.
在格蕾丝的记忆中
Alas, in Grace’s memory
这种凯迪拉克355C系列的传奇式的声音
the legendary purr of the Cadillac series 355C was inextricably linked
与另外一种不那么优雅的声音密不可分
with another, rather less sophisticated sound:
那是向她本人开枪的声音
that of gunfire directed against her person.
不要!
Don’t…!
在开枪之前你需要对你的行为做出解释
You need to justify your actions before you shoot us.
这可真新鲜
That’s new.
这会被看做是软弱的爸爸 你使我失望了
That could be interpreted as weakness, Daddy… I’m disappointed in you!
我不会向任何人开枪的
I’m not gonna shoot anybody.
你向我开过枪
You shot at me before.
是的 对不起我很遗憾
Yes, I’m sorry. I regret that.
你跑开了
You ran away.
但向你开枪当然于事无补
But shooting at you certainly didn’t help matters.
当然你太过于固执了
Of course not. You’re far, far too stubborn.
你如果不想杀了我 为什么要来?
If you don’t want to kill me, then why did you come?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!