你和我的家庭 我们是朋友…
We’re friends, you and my family…
住手!
Stop it!
你看见格蕾丝了吗?
Have you seen Grace?
她在我那儿
She’s at my place.
– 她在忙吗? – 没有进来吧
– Is she busy? – Not anymore. Go right in.
[旁白]格蕾丝又一次在狗镇的人们的帮助下
[Narrator] Yet again Grace had made a miraculous escape
逃过了追踪她的人
from her pursuers with the aid of the people of Dogville.
所有的人都在掩护她 包括查克 他不得不承认
Everyone had covered up for her, including Chuck, who had to admit
也许他怀疑的真是汤姆的帽子
that it was probably Tom’s hat he’d mistakenly considered so suspicious.
第七章 格蕾丝终于忍♥受不了狗镇 离开此地 再次看见曙光
CHAPTER SEVEN in which Grace finally gets enough of Dogville, leaves the town, and again sees the light of day.
那天晚上汤姆一下就感到有什么事发生了
That evening Tom had sensed at once that something had taken place,
但他必须要劝格蕾丝很长时间才使她放松下来
but had to plead with Grace for ages before she finally broke down
说出了她的心事
and unburdened herself.
– 我一定要找他讲理 – 不要!
– I have to confront him. I mean. – No!
– 我别无选择 – 不
– I have no other choice. – No.
– 谁也不会接受他对你的所做所为的 – 我不要你去
– No one will accept what he did to you. No one. – I don’t want you to.
我到这儿来 带着这一切观点与偏见
I came here with all these ideas and these stupid prejudices.
他不够坚强 汤姆
He is not strong, Tom.
他看上去坚强 但其是不是的
He looks strong, but he’s not.
我会想办法让你离开这儿的
I’m gonna start looking for a way to get you out of here.
[旁白]夏天就要结束了
[Narrator] The end of the summer had come.
埃尔姆街上狗镇的第二批松鼠
And in Elm Street the second clutch of Dogville’s scatty squirrels scooted
在孩子和大人们的腿间跑来跑去
in and out of the legs of children and grown-ups alike
在无谓的寻找埃尔姆街上不存在的榆树
searching in vain for Elm Street’s non-existent elms.
热气已经把果树林中的土地烤成了石头
The heat had turned the soil among the gooseberry bushes to stone,
但是格蕾丝没有怨言
but Grace did not complain.
她全都投入了工作
She threw herself into her work,
她为这些摸得着的东西而感到高兴
happy that it was something you could actually grasp between your fingers.
嘿 丽兹!嘿 维拉!
Hey, Liz! Hey, Vera!
小心点 格蕾丝·维拉今天可要找你的别扭
Better watch out, Grace. Vera’s got it in for you today.
你在说什么啊?
What are you talking about?
你以为他不会告诉我呢吧?
Maybe you thought he wouldn’t tell me?
谁啊?
Who?
你打杰森了
You hit Jason.
是的
I did.
你怎么能这样做呢?
How could you do such a thing?
我知道这听上去不可信 但他是自找的
I know it sounds implausible, but he was asking for it.
是的 维拉 他总是自找
It’s true, Vera. He’s always asking for it.
我自己早就该那么做了
I should have done that myself a long time ago.
– 丽兹! – 这是你的错 你把他惯坏了
– Liz! – It’s your fault, the way you’ve spoiled him.
维拉 我知道你多么爱他我也爱他…
I know how much you love him, Vera. So do I…
这事不会再发生了不会了
It won’t happen again. It really won’t.
是不会发生了因为我不会把他单独交给你了
No. I know it won’t, because I’ll never leave them with you again.
那对我的每一个孩子都太危险了
That’d be far too dangerous for any child of mine.
我是太累了
I’ve been tired.
真的 也许你应该像大家一样在夜里睡觉
Well, maybe you should see about sleeping at night, like most folks do.
在夜里睡觉?
Sleeping at night?
今天一大早玛莎看见一个叫
Martha saw a certain
小汤姆·爱迪生的从她的棚子里溜出去
Tom Edison Jr. sneak out of her shed early this morning.
格蕾丝 你不会从我这听到任何关于那个无知小孩挨打的事
Grace, you won’t hear anything from me about whipping that idiot kid.
我还要谢谢你把汤姆的脏眼从我身上引开
And I’m also grateful to you for turning Tom’s wandering eye away from my skirts.
不过话说回来 我对你的期望比这要多
But on the other hand, I’d expected more from you than that.
但假如那正是你所想要的 那么我肯定以你天真的样子
But if that’s the kind of thing you’re after, then I’m sure, with your innocent look,
你会在狗镇这种地方过得不错的
you will do just fine in a place like Dogville.
– 丽兹 那不是我想要的 – 哦 不是吗?
– It’s not what I’m after, Liz. – Oh, no?
我们都看见你拉着他的手一起去野餐也许那不是在挑逗?
We all saw you take his hand to the picnic. Maybe that wasn’t flirting?
也许…也许我是在挑逗…
Yes… Maybe I was flirting…
[旁白]第二天天气变了
[Narrator] Next day the weather changed.
大雾从山而降
The fog came rolling down from the mountains.
尽管看不到日落
And althought there were no sunsets to be seen,
麦凯还是为她能坐在身边而高兴
McKay thought it best that she sat by him anyway.
到现在她已经坐在杰克·麦凯身边这么多次了
She had sat by Jack McKay so many times now,
但杰克还是不能更好地判断他们之间的距离
but Jack had not got better at judging the distance between them.
而正相反 原来只是手指掠过她肌肤的地方
On the contrary, where fingers alone had previously brushed her young flesh,
现在却是一只手总停在那里
now it was a and that remained in place throughout the allotted span.
因为收割的时节到了 在果园里呆的时间也变长了
The hour in the orchard were long now, for the harvest was under way.
格蕾丝也早就
And Grace had long since given up arguing with
不再对查克把培育…
Chuck’s perception that respect for cultivation,
收割和结果与肉体的享受联♥系♥起来的观点辩论了
harvest, and fruit could be directly measured in provision of carnality.
虽然还不愿放弃格蕾丝 汤姆也开始四处走动
Though reluctant to leave Grace alone, Tom wantered around quite often now,
为了解决逃跑的问题而苦思
lost in thought as he tried to crack the problem of possible escape.
当格蕾丝不再把工资放进钱包时 他也加入进来
And as Grace’s wages no longer found their way to her purse he had stepped in,
他们两个一起以胜利的姿态从玛·英吉尔的窗口
and together they had triumphantly
拿走了最后七个人形塑像
picked up the last of the seven figurines from Ma Ginger’s windows.
怎么了?
What’s the matter?
– 没事儿 – 警♥察♥又去坎宁路了?
– Nothing. – Are the police on Canyon Road again?
没有这只是女孩间的悄悄话
No. This is just girl talk.
不过你提到坎宁路却很可笑 是吗 玛莎?
It’s funny you should mention Canyon Road, though… right, Martha?
– 她今天早上还在那儿呢 – 是的
– She was just there this morning. – Yeah.
在从教堂回家的路上…
On the way home from church…
走在路上能看到很多东西 是不是
You see so much more on foot, you know.
就好比你要是在车里永远也注意不到苹果树
When you’re in a car you never notice the apple orchard, for example.
在坎宁路上只有一个地方能看到它们
You can only see it from one spot on Canyon Road.
– 你知道那个地方吗 玛莎? – 我知道
– Do you know that spot, Martha? – Yes I do.
那么今天早上你停下来看了吗?
And did you stop there to enjoy the view this morning?
你知道的 现在正是苹果收获的时候
It’s harvest time, you know, in the orchard after all.
过去的大♥师♥们总是特别喜欢丰收的景像
The old masters always loved a good harvest theme.
芬芳的 有生机的 更不用说感性与风情
Redolent, with fertility, not to mention sensibility or even eroticism.
我问得多傻啊 玛莎 你已经说过你看到了
But how silly of me to ask you that, Martha, because you already said you did.
她看见你了 格蕾丝…
She saw you, Grace…
她看见你了…
She saw you…
在这堆折断的树干后面…
behind this pile of broken limbs…
跟查克一起…
with Chuck…
他说你这不是第一次勾引他了
He said it wasn’t the first time you’d made advances towards him.
他从没告诉过我 因为他不想我生气
He never told me before because he wanted to spare my feelings.
他是一个简单而不生张的人
He’s a withdrawn and primitive man,
但他内心是善良的
but at heart he’s loyal and he is good.
你想跟我丈夫做什么?
What do you want with my husband?
我不想跟你丈夫或任何人做什么
I don’t want anything with your husband or anybody.
那你跟汤姆在野餐上拉手又是怎么回事?
What about Tom and the hand- holding at the picnic?
那不一样我喜欢汤姆
That’s different. I like Tom.
但你不喜欢查克
But you don’t like Chuck.
当我告诉你 我要教育教育你的时候
Liz and Martha are behind me, when I tell you
丽兹和玛莎就在我后面
that I’m going to have to teach you a lesson.
我相信教育
I believe in education.
维拉!
Vera!
不我认为打碎它们没有制♥造♥它们罪更大
No. I believe smashing them is less a crime than making them.
维拉…还记得我怎么教育你的孩子们的吗…
Vera… remember how I taught your children…
– 什么? – 还记得你多高兴吗 当我…
– What? – Remember how happy you were, when I…
– 当你什么? – 我教你的孩子们泰然处之的思想
– When you what? – When I taught your children about the doctrine of stoicism
他们最后终于理解了
and they finally understood it.
好吧…为了那个 我就客气点
All right… For that, I’m gonna be lenient.
我要先折断你的两个手指
I’m going to break two of your figurines first,
如果你能够用你的
and if you can demonstrate
泰然处之思想来抑制你的眼泪的话
your knowledge of the doctrine of stoicism by holding back your tears,
我就停下 你明白吗?
I’ll stop. Have you got that?
[旁白]在格蕾丝一生中
[Narrator] In her lifetime Grace
她有过多次控制自己感情的经历
had considerable practice at constraining her emotions,
所以她不相信现在她会控制不住
and would never have believed it would be hard to control them now.
但是陶瓷在地上碎掉
But as the porcelain pulverized on the floor
却像是人的皮肉在分解
it was as if it were human tissue disintegrating.
那些人形塑像好像是她与小镇相逢而产生的结果
The figurines were the offspring of the meeting between the township and her.
它们好像在证明 无论怎样
They were the proof that in spite of everything,
她受的苦难也造就出有价值的东西
her suffering had created something of value.
格蕾丝再也忍♥受不了了
Grace could not longer cope.
像长大以来从没有的那样 她哭了
For the first time since her childhood, she wept.
那天夜里 格蕾丝去找汤姆
Grace went to see Tom that very night,
告诉他说她已经准备好听从他的劝告离开小镇
and informed him that she was ready to follow his advice and leave the township.
汤姆也正好决定
And since Tom had just made up his mind
他们需要第三个人才能确保成功脱逃
that a third party would be needed to ensure the success of an escape,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!