汤姆 我得告诉你就连我都不能为那个女孩辩护
Tom, I got to tell you. Even I have trouble defending that girl.
汤姆 我宁愿相信你只是碰巧的帮助她
With your help, which I prefer to think was accidental, Tom,
可是是你帮她在全镇散布烦脑与痛苦
she has managed to spread bitterness and troubles throughout this whole town.
她必须走你怎样把她弄走 汤姆?
She has to go. How do we get rid of her, Tom?
我们怎样把她弄走 汤姆?
So how do we do it, Tom?
对 汤姆 是你带她来的你得想法把她弄走
I agree, Tom. You brought her in here. You got to figure out how to get her out.
不能让她再散布谎言了
Without her lies and accusations spreading.
我要你们来听
I asked you here to listen.
可你们来了只会替自己辩护
You only came to defend yourselves.
对不起这使我太吃惊了…
I’m sorry it’s quite a blow to me…
看到我的朋友们表现得如此粗鲁
to see all of my friends act this way, so uncivilized.
你的计划没有得逞吧?
Your plan didn’t work out very well, did it?
– 你还会想出别的计划的 – 不
– You’ll think of another one. – No,
我保证没有别的计划了
No more plans, I promise.
他们要我在你和他们之间做出选择
They asked me to choose between you and them.
像今天这样这并不难我爱你
That’s not difficult on a day like today. I love you.
你们也许更强大 是的 可是理想 我们共有的理想
You may be stronger, it’s true, but the ideals, the ideals we share.
你累了 躺下吧
You’re exhausted. Lie down.
我选择好了 格蕾丝 我选择你
I’ve chosen, Grace. I have chosen you.
到时候了我们等待的时候到了
Now it is the time! The time we’ve been waiting for.
我们要抛弃狗镇
We free ourselves of Dogville.
你是对的你做的对 汤姆 现在我们做♥爱♥是这么容易
You’re right. You’re right, Tom. It’d be so easy to make love right now.
他们随时可能杀死我们…这会是很好的浪漫的终点
They may kill us any minute… It would be the perfect romantic ending.
我明白我也感觉到了我爱你
I know. I feel it too. I love you.
这是那么美可是从…
It would be so beautiful, but from …
从我们的爱来看又是那么的错
from the point of view of our love, so completely wrong.
我们会在自♥由♥中相会的
We were to meet in freedom.
你这么冷 格蕾丝
You’re cold now, Grace.
我已经拒绝了这个镇上所有我认得的替你说话的人
I’ve just rejected everybody I’ve ever known in your favor.
难道不能做一点让步吗
Wouldn’t it be worth compromising,
只让出你一个小小的理想 使我的痛苦轻一些?
just one of your ideals just a little to ease my pain?
这个镇所有的人都占有过你 除了我
Everybody in this town has had your body, but me.
其实我们才是相爱的
We’re the ones supposed to be in love.
我亲爱的汤姆
My darling Tom.
如果你想要 你就可以得到我
You can have me if you want me.
像所有的人那样做吧
Just do what the others do.
来威胁我…
Threaten me…
告诉我你会把我告发给警♥察♥ 把我交给那些流氓我保证
Tell me that you’ll turn me in to the law, to the gangsters and I promise you,
你可以从我这里拿去任何你想要的东西
you can take whatever it is you want from me.
我相信你…
I trust you…
可你也许并不相信你自己?
but maybe you don’t trust yourself?
也许你也想过 也想过像别人一样强迫我
Perhaps you’ve been tempted, you’ve been tempted to join the others and force me.
也许那正是你烦恼的原因
Perhaps that’s why you’re so upset.
我所做的都是想帮助你
All I’ve ever tried to do is help you.
我只想问你 你是否为自己会如此人道而害怕
I’m just asking if you’re afraid that you could be so human.
不 我不怕我一点都不怕
No, I’m not afraid of that. Not in the least.
好的
Good.
让明天该来的来吧
Let tomorrow bring that it’s gonna bring.
怀疑自己是无罪的 汤姆…
It’s not a crime to doubt yourself, Tom…
但你不怀疑自己这真是太好了
but it’s wonderful that you don’t.
我找不到其他的了
I can’t find the rest.
也许我应该出去几分钟
Maybe I should go out for a couple of minutes.
出去走走…
Take a walk or something… I don’t know.
把一切忘掉
To get it all out of my system.
沉重的走在路上…
Trudge the streets…
听着风声穿过树丛与山谷
Listen to the wind as it passes through the woods up through the valley
穿过一切
and all that.
睡吧…
You go to sleep, though…
睡吧 我一会儿回来
You go to sleep and I will be back very soon.
[旁白]当然一切都是废话
[Narrator] Of course it was all a load of nonsense.
如果有人能分开理想与现实的话 那就是他
If anybody was capable of keeping track of ideals and reality, he was.
说到底 那是他的工作道德问题是他的本行
After all, it was his job. Moral issues were his home ground.
如果觉得他会怀疑自己的纯洁的话 那是太看不起他了
To think that he might doubt his own purity was really to think very little of him.
汤姆生气了
Tom was angry.
而在这一切之中 他发现了原因
And in the midst of it all, he discovered why.
不是因为他受到了错误的控告
It was not because of he’d been wrongly accused,
而是因为这些控告是对的!
but because the charges were true!
他的气愤包含一种被发现而产生的最不自在的感觉
His anger consisted of a most unpleasant feeling of being found out!
这对这个年轻的哲学家真是个打击
It was all quite a blow to the young philosopher!
更实际的是 他想到如果怀疑已经存在 它就会发展
And realistically enough, he thought that if the doubt was already present, it could grow.
也许有一天它会大到有害于他的道德使命
Perhaps so great that one day it would prove detrimental to his entire moral mission.
汤姆停下了
Tom stopped.
当他认识到他的写作生涯受到威胁时 他颤抖了
He almost began to shake when the threat to his career as a writer dawned upon him.
没用多久他就说服了自己 风险过大 他不能跑
It didn’t take him long to agree with himself that the risk was too great to run.
格蕾丝给小镇带来危险 也带给他同样的危险!
The danger Grace was to the town she was also to him!
汤姆不喜欢这样
Tom did not like it.
他像个男人一样要采取行动来预防它
And he was man enough to take action to prevent it.
幸运的是汤姆在对待
Fortunately Tom was as conscientious
自己的未来既实际又有良知
as regards his future profession as he was practical.
他使自己生活中有足够的真诚与理想
He allowed sincerity and ideals plenty of room in his life,
又像他说的一样“不带任何感情♥色♥彩”
without getting “sentimental” about it, as he would put it.
把对自己有意义的文件丢掉
Throwing away a document
而失去一部小说甚至是三部曲的素材
that might be of significance to Tom
因而抛弃未来的读者
and with him future generation of readers as the basis of a novel or indeed a trilogy,
这种愚蠢的事汤姆还不会做的
was not an act he was so stupid to commit,
尽管他会承认在他软弱的关头他也会说他想那样做
although he had to admit that in a moment of weakness he might have said he would.
在那天晚上回去开会之前
Before returning to the meeting that night
汤姆又一次打开了
Tom opened the little drawer
那个在格蕾丝到来那天晚上打开过的小抽屉
he had open the night of Grace’s arrival,
他发现那件东西还在那
and found it still there:
车上那个流氓的卡片
the card from the gangster in the car.
[旁白]第二天太阳照亮了秋日的天空
[Narrator] The next day the sun was shining in the brisk autumn sky,
雪早就停了
and the snow was long since gone.
很久以来 沼泽地里打桩子的声音又第一次能够听见了
For the first time for ages the pile driver could be heard in the marshlands
那些打的桩子可能是为了新建一个监狱
as it hammered in the piles for what might or what might not be a penitentiary.
昏睡了一觉后 格蕾丝睁开眼 有点糊涂
Grace opened her eyes after an almost unconscious sleep, and was confused.
从墙缝间透过的亮光来看应该是中午了
Judging by the light coming through the cracks in the walls, it had to be nearly midday.
这是被杰克麦凯不知为什么
“The grey hour” as Jack McKay for some reason
称作“灰色时刻”的狗镇的中午
called noon in Dogville,
杰克麦凯是一个思想和癖好很多的人
being a man of many ideas and proclivities,
其中有很多格蕾丝宁愿不知道
quite a few of which Grace would prefer to remain ignorant of.
但为什么没有人叫她?
But why had nobody roused her?
没有人急切地敲门
Nobody had hammered furiously at her door.
没有小孩往她的床上扔泥巴 或打破她的窗户
Not a child had thrown mud into her bed or broken her remaining windowpanes.
她记起来了
Now she remembered.
她想起了昨天开的会 却更糊涂了
She recalled the meeting the previous day, and puzzled still more.
为什么她还没有尝到会议的结果?没被杀死?
Why had she not been confronted with the outcome of that meeting? Or even killed?
狗镇从来都是不能忍♥耐它的愤怒的
It was quite unlike Dogville to restrain its indignation at any point.
也许一切到头来都好转了?
Perhaps things had turned out well after all?
– 早安 汉森夫人 – 哦 早安?
– Good morning, Mrs. Henson. – Oh… good morning?
我应该早点来的 我睡过了
I would have come earlier. I overslept.
噢 没关系丽兹今天早上顶替了
Oh, never mind. Liz put her back into it htis morning.
我们觉得休息一下对你有好处
We thought some time off would be good for you.
你昨天讲的话可真行
That was quite a speech you made yesterday.
你让我们都想了很多
It gave us all something to think about.
– 你好 丽兹! – 嘿 格蕾丝
– Hello, Liz! – Hi, Grace…
我睡过头了
I overslept.
– 早安 格蕾丝小姐? – 早安
– Good morning Miss Grace? – Good morning…
– 你今天早上好吗? – 我睡过头了
– How are you this morning? – I overslept.
噢 没有关系
Oh, that’s all right.
汤姆 汤姆 我觉得那是格蕾丝
Tom. Tom, I think it’s Grace.
你好 格蕾丝 两秒钟…好消息
Hello, Grace. Two seconds… Good news.
昨天晚上我又回去开会了
I went back to the meeting last night.
我不想让他们这么轻松的就过去了
I wasn’t going to let them get off so easily.
如果大家的情绪没有变化的话我会受惩罚的
But I’ll be damned if the mood hadn’t changed.
我不敢说我们真的赢了
I wouldn’t say we won exactly, not exactly,
但我想这后面会有好结果的
but I think something very good can come out of this,
– 会有很好的结果 – 你为什么不回来告诉我?
– something very good. – Why didn’t you come back and tell me?
我回来了 但你在睡觉
I did, but you were asleep.
而且你显得很需要睡一觉
And you know, you looked like you needed it…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!