an adequate pension.
我不想退休
所以我也没有必要去考虑这个问题
I don’t want to retire.
I’ve no need to consider it.
这样的话
事情就有些难办了
In that case,
things will be a little difficult.
怎么难办了呢?
Why difficult?
-想让我直接点吗?
-当然 请吧
-Do you want me to be quite blunt?
-Oh, yes, of course.
看看你穿的衣服
这已经成了学校的笑料
Look at that gown you’re wearing.
It’s a subject of amusement to the school.
我告诉过你我想要新式的拉丁语发音来教…
I told you I wanted the new style
of Latin pronunciation taught…
-…但你完全置之不理
-那个完全是胡扯蛋
-…and you totally ignored it.
-Oh, that. Nonsense, in my opinion.
那怎么不去教孩子念”基克鲁”
当他们始终念”西赛罗”?
What’s the good of teaching boys to say
“Kikero” when they’ll still say Cicero?
不是说威西荪
你让他们讲的是”威基荪”
Instead of vicissim,
you’d make them say ” wekissem.”
我想让布鲁克菲尔德成为一所跟上时代步伐的学校…
I’m trying to make Brookfield
an up-to-date school…
…而你只是坚持老一套
…and you insist on clinging to the past.
-世界在变化
-我知道世界在改变 拉尔斯顿博士
-The world’s changing.
-I know the world’s changing, Dr. Ralston.
我只看到老传统逐渐丧失
I’ve seen the old traditions
dying one by one.
优雅 尊严 怀旧
Grace, dignity, feeling for the past.
今天在乎的只是大额银行帐户
All that matters today
is a fat banking account.
你想把学校变成一个
只会制♥造♥钱的笨蛋的工厂!
You’re trying to run the school like a factory
for turning out moneymaking snobs!
你提高了费用 把那些真正想上学的孩子拒之门外
You’ve raised the fees, and the boys
who really belong have been frozen out.
现代工具 强化训练
机械化!
Modern methods, intensive training,
poppycock!
把幽默和明辨是非的能力给孩子
他就能面对一切
Give a boy a sense of humor and proportion,
and he’ll stand up to anything.
我不准备退休
你可以做随便什么你喜欢干的事情
I’m not going to retire.
You can do what you like about it.
他告诉奇普斯他必须退休
不过奇普斯拒绝了
He told Chips he’s got to retire,
but Chips said he wouldn’t.
我想他也不会
他都在这里100年了
I should think not.
He’s been here hundreds of years.
-他打过我爸爸
-如果奇普斯走了 学校就倒了
-He used to cane my father.
-lf Chips went, the school would fall down.
-我从没听说过这种荒唐的事
-现在怎么样了?
-I never heard such rot.
-What’s the rumpus?
拉尔斯顿想把奇普斯踢走
说他必须退休
Ralston wants to kick Chips out.
Says he’s got to retire.
什么?把他踢走?
他最好试试看
What? Get rid of Chips?
He just better try.
如果他敢对奇普斯说什么
我会杀了他
If he says another word to Chips,
I’ll kill him.
政♥府♥不想你退休
The governors don’t want you to resign.
没有你 布鲁克菲尔德就大变样了
Brookfield wouldn’t be the same
without you.
只要你喜欢 你能在这里待到老
You can stay here until you’re 1 99
if you feel like it.
-我们希望你会一直呆下去
-真诚地希望
-We hope you will.
-We do indeed.
约翰先生 先生们…
Sir John, gentlemen…
…感激你的好意 约翰 还有你们…
…it is good of you, John,
of all of you…
…来为这么一个老人说话
…to take this trouble for an old man.
但在我借用你们给我的信心前…
But before I avail myself
of your confidence…
…我希望能让现在的校长明白…
…I should like to persuade the head
that in these times…
…布鲁克菲尔德需要我们俩
…Brookfield has need of both of us.
你真宽宏大量 奇普斯
但这行吗?
That’s generous of you, Chips.
But will it work?
我相信这是可行的
I’ll shall see to it that it does.
我甚至会在我的拉丁文课上说基克鲁!
I’m even going to teach my Latin class
to say Kikero!
事实上几年前
我就应该退休
A few years of that,
and I’ll have to retire.
5年前的夏天
当我刚来布鲁克菲尔德的时候…
Five years ago this summer,
when I was new to Brookfield…
…我冒昧地向奇普先生建议…
…I ventured to suggest
to Mr. Chipping…
…他应该退休了
…that it was time for him to retire.
还好我是新来的
I was as new as that.
我甚至让他换下他那身德高望重的校服…
I even persuaded him to replace
the venerable garment…
…其实这早已是布鲁克菲尔德的传统了
…that had become another
Brookfield tradition.
今天 没有人…
Today, no one regrets…
…比我更真诚地…
…more sincerely than I do…
…为他最终接受我的建议而感到遗憾
…that he finally feels himself
compelled to take my hint.
我邀请大家和我一起举起酒杯…
I invite you all to join me
in a toast
…为布鲁克菲尔德的奇普斯!
…to Chips of Brookfield!
为布鲁克菲尔德的奇普斯!
To Chips of Brookfield!
孩子们!为奇普斯三次欢呼
School! Three cheers for Chips.
-嘻扑 嘻扑 呼啦!
-呼啦!
-Hip-hip-hurrah!
-Hurrah!
-嘻扑 嘻扑 呼啦!
-呼啦!
-Hip-hip-hurrah!
-Hurrah!
-嘻扑 嘻扑 呼啦!
-呼啦!
-Hip-hip-hurrah!
-Hurrah!
我们都知道奇普先生的退休
对于布鲁克菲尔德是个很大的损失…
We all know that Mr. Chipping’s retirement
is a great loss to Brookfield…
…但我们希望他会有更多更长快乐时光
…but we hope that he will have
many long and happy years.
我不想告诉奇普先生我们为这个礼物花了多少钱…
I’m not going to tell Mr. Chipping
what we paid for the present…
…因为 这不太礼貌
…because, well, that’s rude.
我相信他会明白
学校里的每个孩子都为此付出自己的一份…
I believe he’d like to know that every
boy in the school subscribed to it…
…每一份都是自发的
…and every subscription was collected
without force of any kind.
奇普先生 我们希望你接受这小小的…
Mr. Chipping, we want you to accept
this little token of esteem
…来自布鲁克菲尔德学生的心意
…from the boys of Brookfield.
这是用来装饼干的
It’s meant to keep biscuits in.
布鲁克菲尔德的孩子们…
Boys of Brookfield…
…在谈及我在布鲁克菲尔德所作的一切时…
…I’m afraid Wainwright
has been guilty of exaggeration…
恐怕万赖特有点夸张了
…in speaking of my services
to Brookfield.
不过这也难怪 他来自一个爱吹牛的家庭
But then, of course, he does come
of an exaggerating family.
我记得我曾经为此惩罚过他父亲
I remember I once had to punish
his father for it.
我给了他拉丁文翻译1分…
I gave him one mark
for Latin translation…
…他把这个夸张地说成7分
…and he exaggerated it
into a seven.
我在布鲁克菲尔德看到很多可喜的变化
I’ve seen a good many changes
at Brookfield.
我记得太多东西…
I remember so much…
…都让我有时会想
自己应该写一本书
…I sometimes think
I ought to write a book.
我该称这个为什么呢?
What shall I call it?
鞭子和横线的回忆录?
Memories of Rod and Lines?
有一天 我会写的
I may write it one day.
我可能忘了好多事情
但我无法忘记你们的长相
I may forget some things,
but I never forget your faces.
如果过几年你们来看我
我希望…
If you come and see me in the years
to come, as I hope you will…
…你们看到我犹豫着这是谁
…you may see me hesitate.
你们会说”老家伙都把我给忘了”
You’ll say to yourself,
“The old boy doesn’t remember me.”
但我会一直记得你们
就象现在这样
But I do remember you,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!