坐这里怎么样
There. All right?
维塔想和咱们谈谈
Veta wants to talk to us.
她说这很重要
She says it’s very important.
或许她是想祝贺咱们在聚会上
I think she wants to congratulate us
给朋友们留下了不错的印象吧
on the impression we made at her party.
简·奥斯汀 《理智与情感》
Jane Austen. Sense and Sensibility.
兰登书屋出版
Random House.
不 不 典藏版
No, no, deluxe edition.
鸣谢
Usual acknowledgments.
第一章
Chapter One.
达什伍德一家在苏塞克斯郡定居已久
“The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.”
在这等会好吗 亲爱的埃尔伍德
Will you wait here for me, Elwood, dear?
我俩都等着吗 维塔
You want both of us to wait, Veta?
是的 埃尔伍德 你俩都等着
Oh, yes, Elwood, both of you.
我马上回来
I won’t be long.
司机 司机 帮我看着他好吗
Driver, driver, will you keep an eye on him, please?
就一会儿
I won’t be but a minute.
这地方真漂亮 是吧 哈维
Charming place, isn’t it, Harvey?
我叫亨利
Name’s Henry.
这是亨利 哈维
It’s Henry, Harvey.
不 我就叫亨利
No, just plain Henry.
我是埃尔伍德·P·多德
My name’s Dowd, Elwood P.
来 给你一张我的名片
Here, let me give you one of my cards.
想联♥系♥我就打这个电♥话♥吧
If you should ever want to call me, call me at this number.
别打那一个 那是老号♥码
Don’t call me at that one. That’s the old one.
如果不小心弄丢了
If you happen to lose the card,
也别担心 我这还多着呢
don’t worry, I have plenty more.
O.R.西蒙斯太太 348号♥寺院街 对吗
Mrs. O. R. Simmons, 348 Temple Drive. Is that right?
是的 我们打小就住那儿
Yes. We were born and raised there.
尽管有年头了 但那仍是我们热爱的家
It’s old, but we love it. It’s our home.
你要把你弟弟送到
And you wish to enter your brother here
这个疗养院接受治疗
at the sanitarium for treatment?
你弟弟叫什么名字
What is your brother’s name?
他叫…天哪
It’s… Oh, dear.
西蒙斯太太 你弟弟叫什么
Mrs. Simmons, what is your brother’s name?
抱歉 家家有本难念的经
I’m sorry. Life is not easy for any of us.
多德 他叫埃尔伍德·P·多德
It’s Dowd. Elwood P. Dowd.
埃尔伍德·P·多德 年龄呢
Elwood P. Dowd. His age?
4月24日刚42岁
Forty-two the 24th of last April.
他是金牛座的
He’s Taurus, Taurus the bull.
我是狮子座的 默多则夹在两宫之间
I’m Leo, and Myrtle’s on the cusp.
他和你一起来的吗
You have him with you now?
是的 他就等在外面的出租车里呢
Oh, yes. He’s outside waiting in a taxi cab.
我让他等着 他总是听我的话
I told him to wait. He always does what I tell him.
知道了 他结婚没有
I see. Is he married?
不 埃尔伍德从不结婚
No, Elwood never married.
他以前总跟妈妈待在一起
He always stayed with Mother.
是个很乖的宅男
He was a great home boy.
他爱他的家人
He loved his home.
怎么了
Yeah?
威尔逊 多德先生现在坐在外面的出租车里
Wilson, there’s a Mr. Dowd outside in a cab.
你能去问问他是否愿意乖乖地
Will you ask him if he’ll be good enough
到南G区24号♥房♥间里去
to step up to Room 24, South Wing G?
问问
Ask him?
威尔逊 这是他姐姐 西蒙斯太太
Wilson, this is his sister, Mrs. Simmons.
您好
Oh! How do?
很高兴能够送他去
Why, certainly. I’ll be glad to escort him.
我去看看
Now I’ll see
桑德森医生是否有空见您 西蒙斯太太
if Dr. Sanderson can see you, Mrs. Simmons.
桑德森医生 我找查姆利医生本人
Dr. Sanderson? I want to see Dr. Chumley himself.
很抱歉 西蒙斯太太
Oh, but, Mrs. Simmons,
桑德森医生才是给大家看病的人
Dr. Sanderson is the one who sees everybody.
查姆利医生从不看病
Dr. Chumley sees no one.
我会告诉他你在这儿
I’ll tell him you’re here.
多棒啊 维塔
Isn’t this wonderful, Veta?
过来吧 伙计
Okay, buddy.
你吓我一跳
You startled me.
抱歉 西蒙斯太太 我是桑德森医生
I’m sorry, Mrs. Simmons. I am Dr. Sanderson.
凯丽小姐告诉我
Miss Kelly tells me that you’re concerned
你很担心你弟弟 那位…那位…
about your brother, Mr… Mr…
登记卡呢 凯丽小姐
The card, Miss Kelly.
凯丽小姐 给我登记卡
Miss Kelly! The card, please.
-那位多德先生 埃尔伍德·P·多德 -没错
– Mr. Dowd? Elwood P. Dowd? – Yes.
这边请 西蒙斯太太
This way, Miss Simmons.
抱歉打扰你的白日梦了 凯丽小姐
I’m sorry if I awakened you, Miss Kelly.
我很…
Oh, I’m so…
希望你理解 我并不是总这么一惊一乍
I do hope you don’t think I’m always as jumpy as this,
这样的日子太不好过了 医生
but this is not easy for me, Doctor.
这是自然
Naturally. These things aren’t easy
病人家属总是备受煎熬 我能理解
for the families of the patients. I understand.
请坐 西蒙斯太太
Won’t you sit down, Miss Simmons?
谢谢
Thank you.
请告诉我 你从什么时候起
Now tell me, how long has it been since you first noticed
发现你弟弟有怪异行为
any peculiarity in your brother’s actions?
他小时候很正常 我了解他
Well, as a baby, he was perfectly normal. I know.
我是他姐姐 要帮助他成长
I was his big sister and I had to change him.
孩子们总是要长大的
Babies do need changing, you know.
但是自从母亲去世后
But I noticed that he seemed to be different
我发现他变得有些与众不同
after we came back after Mother had died.
我和默多·梅从得梅因回来与埃尔伍德一起住
Myrtle Mae and I came back from Des Moines to live with Elwood.
我发现他…
I could see that he…
-他…-他怎么了
– That he… – That he what?
慢慢说 别紧张
Now take your time. Don’t strain.
顺其自然地说下去 我洗耳恭听
Just let it come. I’ll wait for it.
医生 我所说的一切都会保密 对吗
Doctor, everything I say to you is confidential, isn’t it?
我是精神病医生 太太 不是长舌妇
I am not a gossip, Mrs. Simmons. I am a psychiatrist.
没错
Of course.
首先 他酗酒
Well, for one thing, he drinks.
过量饮酒吗
To excess?
过量
To excess?
如果有人一天不去破酒馆消磨时光
Well, don’t you call it excess when a man never lets a day go by
就浑身不舒服
without stepping into some cheap tavern,
还总带些不三不四的小流氓回家
bringing home a lot of riffraff people you never heard of?
这样喝酒都不叫过量的话 医生
If you don’t call that excess, Doctor,
我真不知道什么算过量了
I’m sure I don’t know what excess is.
我不是在怀疑你 西蒙斯太太
I didn’t doubt your statement, Mrs. Simmons.
我只是想知道他是否真的酗酒
I merely wanted to know if your brother drinks.
当然 埃尔伍德确实酗酒
Well, yes, I say definitely, Elwood drinks.
我希望他能长♥期♥住在这里
And I want him committed out here permanently
因为我再也无法忍♥受那个哈维了
because I cannot stand another day of that Harvey!
要是母亲提前写信告诉我他的事就好了
Don’t you think it would have been a little bit kinder of Mother
对吧 医生
if she’d written us about him?
说实话 医生 你不觉得吗
Doctor, now, be honest. Don’t you?
我真的不知道如何回答
I really couldn’t answer that question.
我来回答
Well, I can.
她确实该告诉我们
Yes, it certainly would have.
是的
Yes.
你刚才提到的哈维是谁
Now this person that you call Harvey, now who is he?
是只兔子
He’s a rabbit.
大概吧 他到底是谁
Yes, perhaps. But, just who is he?
是你弟弟从酒馆带回来的人吗
Someone your brother picked up in one of these bars?
医生 我告诉过你了 哈维是只兔子
Doctor, I’ve been telling you, Harvey is a rabbit.
一只1米8的大白兔
A big white rabbit six feet high.
或许是1米9
Or is it six-feet-three-and-a-half?
鬼知道他有多高
Heaven knows, I ought to know.
他一直在我家转悠
He’s been around the house long enough.
西蒙斯太太 如果我没理解错…
Mrs. Simmons, if I’m not mistaken…
医生 你还不明白吗
Doctor, don’t you understand?
哈维是这只兔子的名字
The rabbit’s name is Harvey.
哈维住在我家
Harvey lives at our house.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!