(不和谐的爵士乐)
(DISCORDANT JAZZ MUSIC PLAYING)
乔:好吧,我们试试别的吧
JOE: All right, let’s try somethin’ else.
(乐器演奏不协调)
(INSTRUMENTS PLAYING DISCORDANTLY)
呃,从头开始。准备。 一,二,三
Uh, from the top. Ready. One, two, three.
(学生们不和谐地演奏着开场白)
(STUDENTS PLAYING INTRO DISCORDANTLY)
一,二,三,四
One, two, three, four.
保持节奏
Stay on the beat.
二,三,四
Two, three, four.
那是C升调,霍恩斯
That’s C-sharp, horns.
二,三… 我看着你呢,卡莱布
Two, three… I see you, Caleb.
瑞秋,现在该你了
Rachel, now you.
忘了带我的萨克斯了,G先生
Forgot my sax, Mr. G.
好吧,她忘了吹萨克斯。现在,所有人,康妮
Okay, she forgot her sax. And now, all you, Connie.
加油!
Go for it!
(即兴独奏)
(PLAYING IMPROVISED SOLO)
男孩:好样的!
BOY: Way to go!
(康妮叹了口气)
(CONNIE SIGHS)
等等,等等。你们在笑什么?
Hang on, hang on. What are y’all laughing at?
康妮有点迷失了
So Connie got a little lost in it.
这是件好事
That’s a good thing.
听着,我记得有一次
Look, I remember one time
我爸爸带我去了爵士俱乐部
my dad took me to this jazz club,
那是我最不想去的地方
and that’s the last place I wanted to be.
但当我看到这个家伙
But then I see this guy,
他用四分音符弹奏这些和♥弦♥
and he’s playing these chords with fourths on it,
然后是小调
and then with the minor…
哦,哦,喔
Oh, oh, whoo.
然后他加入了内心的声音,就好像他
Then he adds the inner voices, and it’s like he’s…
就好像他在唱歌♥一样
It’s like he’s singing.
我发誓,接下来我知道
And I swear, the next thing I know…
(弹奏层叠音符)
(PLAYS CASCADING NOTES)
…就好像他从舞台上浮飘下来一样
…it’s like he floats off the stage.
(弹奏悠扬的颤音)
(PLAYING MELODIOUS TRILLING NOTES)
那家伙迷失在音乐里
That guy was lost in the music.
不仅他迷失了,他把我们其余的人都带迷失了
He was in it, and he took the rest of us with him.
(继续弹奏悠扬的颤音)
(CONTINUES PLAYING MELODIOUS TRILLING NOTES)
我想学习…
And I wanted to learn…
(弹奏和♥弦♥)
(PLAYING CHORDS)
…如何成为所描述的那样
…how to talk like that.
那时我才知道
That’s when I knew…
我是为此而生的
I was born to play.
康妮明白我的意思。对吧,康妮?
Connie knows what I mean. Right, Connie?
我12岁了
I’m 12.
我马上回来。练习音阶吧
I’ll be right back. Practice your scales.
抱歉打扰了,加德纳先生
Sorry to interrupt, Mr. Gardner.
(乐器演奏不协调)
(INSTRUMENTS PLAYING DISCORDANTLY)
你帮我个忙
You’re doing my ears a favor.
-嘿! -不是你,尽管你很好
-Hey! -Not you, though, you’re good.
-不是他
-He’s not.
有什么事吗,阿罗约校长?
What can I do for you, Principal Arroyo?
我想亲自传达这个好消息
I wanted to deliver the good news personally.
你不再是兼♥职♥老师了
No more part-time for you.
你现在是我们的专职乐队老师
You’re now our full-time band teacher.
工作保障
Job security.
医疗保险,退休金
Medical insurance. Pension.
喔。那是,呃,太好了
Wow. That’s, uh, great.
欢迎加入M.S.70之家,乔。永久地
Welcome to the M.S. 70 family, Joe. Permanently.
谢谢
Thanks.
(乐器继续不和谐地演奏)
(INSTRUMENTS CONTINUE PLAYING DISCORDANTLY)
利巴:这么多年过去了,我的祈祷得到了回应
LIBBA: After all these years,
my prayers have been answered.
一份全职工作
A full-time job.
打工的人,终于转正了
Working man, coming through.
是的,妈妈,但是我…
Yeah, Mom, but I…
你要告诉他们是的,对吗?
You’re going to tell them yes, right?
别担心,妈妈,我有个计划
Don’t worry, Mom, I got a plan.
你总是有计划的
You always got a plan.
或许你也需要一个后备计划
Maybe you need to have a backup plan, too,
当你的计划失败时
for when your plan falls through.
后备计划不会有坏处
A backup plan never hurts.
乔伊,我们费尽心思地让你受教育
Joey, we didn’t struggle giving you an education
不是为了让你成为一个
so you could be a middle-aged man
在我店里洗内衣的中年男人
washing your underwear in my shop.
穿着破洞的裤子走来走去
Walking around with a hole in his pants.
-是的,但是… -有了这份工作,你就能
-Yeah, but… -With this job, you’ll be able
把那些没有前途的工作抛诸脑后
to put that dead-end gigging behind you.
上帝知道在这个世界上我们需要更多的老师
And Lord knows we need more teachers in this world.
想想看
And just think,
演奏音乐最终会成为你真正的职业
playing music will finally be your real career.
所以你要告诉他们是的,对吗?
So you’re going to tell them yes, right?
请说是的
Please say yes.
是的,当然
Yeah, definitely.
利巴:很好
LIBBA: Good.
你好?
Hello?
你好吗,G 先生?
How you been, Mr. G?
呃,我是柯利。拉蒙特,拉蒙特·贝克
Uh, it’s Curley. Lamont. Lamont Baker.
嘿,柯利!嘿,很高兴听到你的声音,伙计
Hey, Curley! Hey, good to hear your voice, man.
呃…听着。你现在可以叫我乔了,柯利
Uh… Listen. You can call me Joe now, Curley.
我不再是你们的老师了
I’m not your teacher anymore.
柯利:哦,好的,加德纳先生
CURLEY: Oh, okay, Mr. Gardner.
嘿,听着,我是多萝西娅·威廉姆斯四重奏的新鼓手
Hey, look, I’m the new drummer in the
Dorothea Williams Quartet,
今晚我们将有一场”半音符”的演出开始我们的巡演
and we’re kickin’ off our tour with a show at
The Half Note tonight.
多萝西娅·威廉姆斯!你在开玩笑吧?
Dorothea Williams! Are you kidding me?
你在开玩笑吧?恭喜你,伙计。哇!
Are you kidding me? Congratulations, man. Wow!
我会幸福地死去
I would die a happy man
如果我能和多萝西娅·威廉姆斯一起表演的话
if I could perform with Dorothea Williams.
柯利:哦,好吧,今天可能是你的幸运日
CURLEY: Oh, well, this could be your lucky day.
(欢快的爵士乐)
(UPBEAT JAZZ MUSIC PLAYING)
-柯利:喔,他在那儿 -嘿,柯利
-CURLEY: Whew, there he is. -Hey, Curley.
莱昂逃走真的让我们陷入困境,伙计
Leon skipping town really put us in a bind, man.
-是的。呃,我敢打赌 -我很高兴你来了
-Yeah. Uh, I’ll bet. -I’m glad you made it.
我的孩子,毕晓普,说去年他在布鲁克林还和你一起挨着坐过
My boy, Bishop, said he sat in with you on a set
last year in Brooklyn.
说你非常棒
Said you were great.
嗯,你知道,对于一家咖啡店来说
Well, you know, for a coffee shop.
(萨克斯管即兴独奏)
(SAXOPHONE PLAYING IMPROVISED SOLO)
柯利:嘿,多萝西娅
CURLEY: Hey, Dorothea.
这就是我跟你说过的那只猫
This is the cat I was telling you about.
我以前的中学乐队老师,加德纳先生
My old middle school band teacher, Mr. Gardner.
叫我乔,多萝西娅
Call me Joe, Dorothea.
呃…呃,我是说,威廉姆斯小姐
Uh… Uh, I mean, Miss Williams.
很荣幸。真的。这太神奇了
It’s a pleasure. Wow. This is amazing.
柯利:呃,乔是雷·加德纳的儿子
CURLEY: Uh, Joe is Ray Gardner’s son.
所以,我们现在只剩下中学乐队老师了
So, we’re down to middle school band teachers now.
上来吧,老师,我们可没那么多时间
Get on up here, Teach, we ain’t got all day.
(很酷的爵士乐)
(BAND PLAYS COOL JAZZ MUSIC)
-什么… 我们演奏什么?
-What… What are we playin’?
(断断续续地弹奏相应的音符)
(PLAYS CORRESPONDING NOTES HALTINGLY)
(弹奏相应的和♥弦♥)
(PLAYING CORRESPONDING CHORDS)
(弹奏即兴音符)
(PLAYING IMPROVISED NOTES)
(弹奏悠扬的颤音)
(PLAYING MELODIOUS TRILLING NOTES)
(继续演奏即兴的颤音)
(CONTINUES PLAYING IMPROVISED TRILLING NOTES)
呃,对不起
Uh, sorry.
我刚才有点走神了
I zoned out a little back there.
乔·加德纳,你去过哪里?
Joe Gardner, where have you been?
我去过,呃,教过,中学乐队
I’ve been, uh, teaching, middle school band.
呃,但是在周末,我…
Uh, but on the weekends, I…
-你有西装吗? -呃…
-You got a suit? -Uh…
穿套西装,老师。穿套好衣服
Get a suit, Teach. A good suit.
今晚回到这里。第一场演出是9点
Back here tonight. First show’s at 9:00.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!