That before the day is out somebody’s going to make use of that
不出一天 有些人将会
Rather expressive though somewhat old-fashioned term “foul play.”
用婉转的方式表达一般所说的”谋杀”
Am I boring you with all this ?
你们觉得无聊吗
No ? Good.
没有吗 很好
Well you see Max I find myself in a rather awkward position.
迈克斯 我发觉自己处于一个相当尴尬的立场
You’ve only got to read this note to understand. It’s from Rebecca.
你只要看一下这封信就明白了 是丽贝卡写的
And what’s more she had the foresight to put the date on it.
还有 她真是有先见之明
She wrote it to me the day she died.
她去世的那天写给我的
Incidentally I was out on a party on that night
不巧地是 那天晚上我去参加派对了
So I didn’t get it until the next day.
所以直到第二天我才看到
What makes you think that note would interest me ?
为什么你觉得我会对这封信感兴趣呢
Oh I’m not going to bother you with the contents now
我不会跟你讨论信的内容
But I can assure you that it is not the note of a woman
但我可以肯定那不是一个打算当晚
Who intends to drown herself that same night.
自杀的女人会写的信
By the way what do you do with old bones ?
顺便说一下 你怎么处理以前的骨骸
Bury them eh what ?
葬了它们 还是怎样
However for the time being–
然而 暂且
You know Max
迈克斯
I’m getting awfully fed up with my job as a motorcar salesman.
我真的受够了做汽车销♥售♥员的工作
I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced the feeling
我不知道你是否曾经经受过那种感觉
Of driving an expensive motorcar which isn’t your own.
开着一辆价值不菲却不属于你的汽车
But it can be very very exasperating.
但那真的会气死人
You know what I mean. You want to own the car yourself.
你知道我什么意思 你想拥有自己的车
I’ve often wondered what it would be like to retire to the country
我经常问自己 迁居到乡下会是什么样
Have a nice little place with a few acres of shooting.
拥有一个有着几英亩猎场的漂亮的小地方
I’ve never figured out what it would cost a year
我从未弄明白那要花一年的时间
But I’d like to talk about it with you.
但我想要跟你谈谈
I’d like to have your advice on
我想听听你的建议
How to live comfortably without hard work.
怎样能不用努力工作而过着舒适的生活
Hello Favell. You looking for me Maxim ?
你好 费弗尔 你找我吗 迈克西姆
Yes. Mr. Favell and I have a little business transaction on hand.
是的 费弗尔先生跟我有点事要谈
I think we had better conduct it over at the inn.
我想我们最好去小酒馆解决
They may have a private room there.
那儿也许有包间
Well see you later.
待会儿见
Find colonel Julyan. Tell him I want to see him immediately.
去找朱利安上校 告诉他我要马上见他
Come on Favell. Let’s go.
走吧 费弗尔
Have you a private room please ?
请问有包间吗
Of course sir. Through there sir. Thank you.
当然有 先生 那边请 先生 谢谢
Hope this will do Mr. De Winter.
希望这位就是德温特先生
Oh it’s splendid splendid. Exactly like the ritz.
很豪华啊 的确像是豪华的酒馆
Any orders gents ? Yes you might bring me a large brandy and soda.
要点餐吗 先生们 给我一杯大的白兰地苏打水
How about you Max ? Have one on me. I feel I can afford to play host.
你呢 迈克斯 一杯酒我还请得起
Thanks. I don’t mind if I do. Make it two will you my good fellow ?
谢谢 好的 来两杯 可以吗 好伙计
Very good sir. Where’s Mr.De Winter?
好的 先生 德温特先生在哪里
Oh through the other door sir.
开门就是了 先生
Colonel Julyan his is Mr. Favell.
朱利安上校 他是费弗尔先生
Oh I know colonel Julyan. We’re old friends aren’t we ?
我认识朱利安上校 我们是老相识了 是吧
Since you’re old friends
既然你们是老相识
I assume you also know he’s head of the police here.
我猜想你也知道他是这儿的警方首脑
I think he might be interested to hear your proposition.
我想他会有兴趣听你的陈述
Go on tell him all about it.
说吧 告诉他所有事
I merely said I hoped to give up selling cars and retire.
我只不过说我希望放弃卖♥♥♥车♥的工作并退休
Actually he offered to withhold a vital piece of evidence
事实上 他提出 如果我酬谢他的话
If I made it worth his while.
他会保留一份很重要的证据
I only want to see justice done colonel.
我只是想见识一下司法公正 上校
Now that boatbuilder’s evidence
那位造船人的证据
Suggested certain theories concerning Rebecca’s death.
指出某些有关丽贝卡之死的看法
One of them of course is suicide.
其中之一 当然 是自杀
I have a little note here which puts that possibility quite out of court.
我这儿有封信可以驳回那个可能性
Read it colonel. “Jack darling ”
读一下吧 上校 “亲爱的 杰克”
“I’ve just seen the doctor and I’m going down to Manderley right away.”
“我刚看完医生 我要马上回曼陀丽”
“I shall be at the cottage all”
“我整晚都会待在小屋”
“Evening and shall leave the door open for you.”
“并为你留着门”
“I have something terribly important to tell you. Rebecca.”
“我有要事相告 丽贝卡上”
Nows does that look like the note of a woman
那像是一个决定自杀的女人
Who had made up her mind to kill herself?
会写的信吗
And apart from that colonel
除此之外 上校
Do you mean to tell me that if you wanted to commit suicide
难道说如果你要自杀的话
You’d go to all the trouble of putting out to sea in a boat
你会特意出海
Then take a hammer and chisel and
还拿一把榔头跟凿子
Laboriously knock holes through the bottom of it ?
然后费劲凿洞弄穿底部吗
Come colonel as an officer of the law
得了吧 上校 作为一个执法官
Don’t you feel there are some slight grounds for suspicion ?
你难道不觉得有些许嫌疑吗
Of murder ? What else ?
谋杀的嫌疑? 还能有什么
You’ve known Max a long time so you know he’s the old-fashioned type
你认识迈克斯很久了 所以你知道他是个老古董
Who’d die to defend his honor or who’d kill for it.
会誓死捍卫他的荣誉或是扼杀它
It’s blackmail pure and simple.
纯粹是敲诈
Blackmail’s not so pure nor so simple.
敲诈并不单纯也不简单
It can bring a lot of trouble to a great many people
它可以给很多人带来很多的麻烦
And the blackmailer sometimes finds himself in jail at the end of it.
还有敲诈者有时最终会将自己送进监牢
I see. You’re going to hold De Winter’s hand through all this
我明白 你会为德温特辩解
Just because he’s the big noise around here
只因为他是这儿的大亨
And he’s actually permitted you to dine with him.
而且你是他的座上客 他是你的酒肉朋友
Be careful Favell. You’ve brought an accusation of murder.
说话小心点 费弗尔 你所指控的是谋杀
Have you any witnesses ? I do have a witness.
你有任何证人吗 我确实有一个证人
It’s that fellow Ben.
那就是本
If that stupid coroner hadn’t been a snob
如果那个愚蠢的验尸官是个内行的话
He’d have seen that half-wit was hiding something.
他会看出那个傻子在隐瞒些事
And why should Ben do that ?
本为何要隐瞒
Because we caught him once Rebecca and I
因为丽贝卡跟我 我们曾抓住他
Peering at us through the cottage window.
他透过小屋的窗户偷看我们
Rebecca threatened him with the asylum. That’s why he was afraid to speak.
丽贝卡威胁说要把他送到精神病院 所以他不敢说
But he was always hanging about. he must have seen this whole thing.
但他一直闲晃 所以他肯定看到过整件事
It’s ridiculous even listening to all this.
听起来就够荒谬的
Ah. You’re like a little trades union all of you aren’t you ?
你们所有人像是个小工会 不是吗
And if my guess is right Crawley
如果我的猜测是对的话 克劳莱
There’s a bit of malice in your soul toward me isn’t there ?
在你的内心深处对我有点敌意 不是吗
Crawley didn’t have much success with Rebecca
克劳莱追不到丽贝卡
But he ought to have more luck this time.
但这次他应该会更幸运
The bride will be grateful for your fraternal arm Crawley
新娘子会感激你伸出友谊的臂膀 克劳莱
In a week or so.
一个多星期之后
Every time she faints in fact. De Winter!
每次她晕倒 实际上 德温特
Maxim please ! De Winter !
迈克西姆 拜托 德温特
That temper of yours will do you in yet Max.
你会为你的臭脾气付出代价的 迈克斯
Oh uh excuse me gentlemen. Now is there anything else ?
打扰一下 先生们 还需要什么吗
Yes. You might bring Mr. De Winter a sedative.
需要 你可以拿支镇静剂给德温特先生
No no nothing at all. Just leave us. Very good sir.
不 不用了 什么都不需要 出去吧 好的 先生
Now Favell let’s get this business over.
费弗尔 我们来做个了结
As you seem to have worked out the whole thing so carefully
你好像对整件事做过仔细的了解
Perhaps you can provide us also with a motive ?
也许你可以给我们提供一个动机
I knew you were going to bring that up colonel.
我知道你会提出这个问题 上校
I’ve read enough detective stories to
我曾拜读过很多侦探小说
Know that there must always be a motive.
从而知道肯定会有杀人动机
And if you’ll all excuse me for a moment I’ll supply that too.
是否容我失陪一下 我会提供动机的
I wish you would go home. You ought not to be here through all this.
我希望你先回家 你不该待在这儿经受这一切
Please let me stay Maxim.
拜托让我留下 迈克西姆
Surely colonel Julyan you’re not going to allow this fellow–
无疑地 朱利安上校 你不会允许这个家伙
My opinion of Favell is no higher than yours Crawley.
我对费弗尔的看法与你一样不好 克劳莱
But in my official capacity
但做为警♥察♥
I have no alternative but to pursue his accusation.
我别无选择唯有继续听他的指控
I entirely agree with you colonel.
我完全同意你的说法 上校
In a manner so serious as this we must make sure
在一定程度上像这件如此严重的案件 我们必须
Of every point explore every avenue
弄清楚每一个要点 寻求各种途径
And in fact if I may coin a phrase leave no stone unturned.
事实上 如果我千方百计捏造事实
Ah here she is– the missing link
她来了 缺少的环节
The witness who will help supply the motive.
将帮忙提供动机的证人
Colonel Julyan Mrs. Danvers. I believe you know everyone else.
朱利安上校 丹弗斯太太 我相信你认识所有人
Won’t you sit down ?
要坐下吗
No offense colonel but I think I’ll put this to Danny.
无意冒犯 上校 但我想由我来问丹尼
She’ll understand it more easily. Danny who was Rebecca’s doctor ?
她会更容易明白 丹尼 谁是丽贝卡的医生

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!